FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I wonder if they had unusually hairy feet?

Author Topic: I wonder if they had unusually hairy feet?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Tiny New Species of Human Unearthed
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbits in Indonesia? Whodda thunk?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooops wrong post. Halfling is the "vulgar" term.

[ October 27, 2004, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: CStroman ]

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"It raises the whole issue of what it is to be human, or a member of the genus Homo," adds Chris Stringer at the Natural History Museum in London, UK. "And shows how little we really know about human evolution."
I have never figured out why it takes so frikkin' long for New Scientist to load in my browser -- no other web site has that problem. But I could go take a coffee break in the time it takes that page to load..

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought hobbits were native to New Zealand?
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
They must have been adventurous, built boats, and spread their seed. Adventurous hobbitses! [Big Grin]

How does this extinct group compare with known pygmies of our day? I know that in the Philippine islands before several waves of new inhabitants came from various countries, there was a small race of humans living in the mountains there. Maybe relatives?

[ October 27, 2004, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
It kind of throws a bit of a monkey wrench into our thinking of evolution for humans, but wow, this is just so cool.

I love that they lived on an island with Komodo dragons and pygmy elephants. Almost too fantastical to believe.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
<---wishes with all her heart that the Loch Ness Monster is real, alive and kickin.

quote:
Almost too fantastical to believe.
Fantastical discoveries...my favorite…
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It kind of throws a bit of a monkey wrench into our thinking of evolution for humans
quote:
It is possible that they were out-competed for food and other resources by H. sapiens or that they were wiped out by a volcanic eruption about 12,000 years ago.
How is extinction from being out competed or destroyed by a volcano any different than what we already think?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Because up until this, we had pretty much decided that 10 times as far back in our history that Homo Sapiens Sapiens had pushed out the other branches of evolutionary cousins, such as Neandertal man.

This might prove that there were other viable groups much later in the timeline than we had suspected.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, it loads really slowly for me to Farmgirl. Frustrating, but one of those rare sites where the quality of the content outweighs my irritation with how long it takes to get to it. The main NewScientist page comes right up, but none of the articles do. I just click on interesting looking articles and then go and do something else. When I get back around to it, the article has loaded.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
(edit: in response to Kaioshin)
It depends on if you think neandrethals have been incoporated into homo sapiens or were extincted. When "eve" was discovered in the early 90's the "lockstep" evolution theory was developed to counter it. (My mom got her degree in Anthropology when I was in high school about the same time as the mitochondrial DNA studies projected the existence of a single female ancestor for all humans)

Lockstep is the idea that essentially isolated proto-human populations developed into humans with minimal interbreeding. I know the way I describe it, it sounds downright improbable, so I don't know if I understand it correctly. But instead of a family tree, lockstep has more of a family corral fan arising from proto humans with brances that come apart and then back together.

The idea that this species, whose existence is being extrapolated from one skull, could use fire to cook and have a variety of tools, is among the things that will be difficult for anthropologists to explain. Of course, the individual might be a fluke mutation.

On the slow loading, do you get the subscription popup? It shows on mine and I wonder if that might be slow if your browser is closing it.

[ October 27, 2004, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

No, I get the popup. I agree that it would be nice if they had more evidence of this species than the remains of a single individual.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka, about whether or how Neanderthals contributed to human evolution: New Study Shows Neanderthals Were Not Our Ancestors.
I haven't formed an opinion yet.

Another recent genetic study of lice showed that h. sapiens and other extinct hominids interacted (fought? mated? lived in the same communities? [Dont Know] ) as recently as 25,000 years ago. Of lice and men

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That lice study is fascinating.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abrynne
Member # 5826

- posted      Profile for Abrynne   Email Abrynne         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4127713

here's the hobbit story from NPR.

quote:
The other individuals all show similar characteristics, and over a time range that now extends from as long ago as 95,000 years to as recently as 13,000 years ago -- a population of 'hobbits' that seemed to disappear at about the same time as the pygmy elephants that they hunted, both apparently falling foul of a volcanic eruption about 12,000 years ago.
Hmm. It seems that Frodo must have failed after all.

(HA!! That was funny!!) [Big Grin]

Posts: 51 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, maybe he didn't fail, but it seems that the rest of the hobbits were killed off in the process. (By the way, Abrynne wanted to let you know that the above post is me masquerading as herself. [Smile] )

It's late. My grammar sucks.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that's hilarious. [Razz]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.