FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Banished Banana Bread Bandits

Author Topic: Banished Banana Bread Bandits
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Mad] We have three dogs in our humble home. I’ve been coerced into letting them live, breathe and shed in our home. They can’t eat table scraps because they inevitably end up puking them up, regardless of who cooks, on the carpet. They never puke on anything except carpet. Why is that I wonder?

The oldest is the master mind of the bunch. He’s a beagle. A bad beagle! Luckily he’s to short to get into to much trouble.

The middle child is a Golden Retriever. He’s tall and that snout of his can reach across counter tops. Although he’s a natural redhead, he behaves like the proverbial blonde. He’s as dingy as they come, but gets away with it because he’s so sweet.

The baby of the bunch is a Pit-bull /Chocolate Lab mix. He’s got some of the looks of a Pit-bull and all the charm of a lab. He’s the best behaved dog in the bunch. He belonged to me and the kids before we all got married to Joe and his naughty dogs.

Joe spoiled his dogs. They slept in bed with him. They sat on any furniture they cared to.

Things changed when Sheriff Tammy came to the house.

They now have their own “beds” which I wash every two days. It’s ridiculous but what alternative do I have? There are people with allergies in this house!

I have an Oreck Vacuum which I attack the carpet with way more than I need to admit. I even have the Oreck Orbiter to “dry clean” the carpet with. We have two air purifiers in the home that are the supposedly the same type that Navy Submarines use to clean our dirty air.

I’m constantly cleaning up after these canine monkeys. I have a love/hate relationship with them.

As I mentioned above, Scooby the beagle is naughty! He’s also extremely intelligent. If he were a little bit taller and had hands instead of paws, he’d be cooking himself meals everyday. I’m sure of it.

I believe he tells the Retriever, Jarimor, when and where to strike.

This morning was the second time they attacked the Banana Bread. Between them they ate nearly a whole loaf. It was a particularly good Banana Bread.

So I flipped out. This meant war. They’re banished to the outside scary world for the rest of the day! They act like they're being persecuted. You should see the looks on their faces. [Roll Eyes]

The kids, Joe and Baxter the baby of the bunch, all put their tails between their legs and ran. I had to explain to each of them that I was mad at the two naughty step-dogs of mine, not them. I've cared for these step-dogs of mine all year. I've fed, watered and bathed them. I've earned the right to be mad at them. Haven't I?

*vent over*

I feel a teeny bit better!

[ November 02, 2004, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Tammy ]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Things changed when Sheriff Tammy came to the house.
[Big Grin]

Had you considered bedience training -- sort of reasserting the dominance relationship?

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Joe took the older boys to obedience training when they were younger. Jarimor was kicked out for low grades. He couldn't concentrate.

Normally they're very good dogs. All they want to do is sleep, in the house.

I suppose I'm ticked about all the cleaning I do, because of them, so I bust their chops for minor, petty crimes.

Jarimor really is a mess though. He's chewed several door knobs completely off trying to bust into the house. I'm surprised he has teeth left in his mouth. He jumps on the doors and scratches them. He's terrified of Thunder Storms. All of them are scared of Thunder Storms.

If the kids damaged the house in this manner, Joe would have taken them to the pound months ago. [Smile]

He's extremely patient with these guys!

I'm not! Grrrrrrrr!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Why doesn't he do the cleaning up after them?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I know the answer to that one Kat.

He doesn't see the mess or the problems like Tammy does. It wouldn't occur to him that because of the allergies, the beds need to be washed every two days.

Tammy could quit doing the cleaning, but it just wouldn't get done, and she'd have allergy problems, and it would just get worse and worse.

Am I right, Tammy?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be willing to bet you're right, Belle. My husband's only remaining animal-care chore is to clean the cat box, which absolutely MUST be done every two days or they'll start going on the floor. I do everything else--keep food and water dishes filled, monitor supplies of food and litter and buy more before we run out, schedule and supervise the ferrets' playtime and do poop cleanup after it. But does he remember to clean the cat box every two days? Does he bother to look inside the box one of the fifty thousand times a day he walks past it, to see if it needs cleaning? Noooooooo. [Roll Eyes] I have to remind him about it several dozen times and practically beat him senseless with the litter scoop before he'll do it. Every. Single. Time.

*pant pant pant seethe*

Sorry, just needed to vent a little bit [Smile] I swear, men must have selective blindness or something when it comes to dirt.

[ November 02, 2004, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Stray ]

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what Tammy's answer is?

---

I personally am not really big on pets. We didn't have any inside pets while I was growing up, and we got the first and only one when I was a teenager. It was a puppy yorkshire terrier, and it wasn't housetrained. There's no amount of cute that makes up for cleaning up crap and no longer being able to go barefoot in your own house because of what might have happened from a wayward animal.

If someone wants a pet, they are welcome to it and the responsibility for it, but the idea of constantly cleaning up after someone else's pets is horrifying.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

I can't believe I forgot I posted this. I forgot to look for replies until just now. Wow! Yesterday was a crazy day for me. I left the house at 9:30ish and got home after 6:30. I went to bed at 8:30, I was zonked. I'm usually home for the majority of the day.

The truth of the matter is that Joe is the cleaning freak, not me. The other truth to this matter is that he currently is the only one working. He leaves the house at 6:00 and gets home around 5:00. He does alot around the house. When we have company or when I'm sick, he's a wonderful help. He'll ask me what I need done, and do it. He takes care of the lawn and paints any room I ask him to. He really does do alot. So, basically, taking care of Joe and the kids and our home is my job. Taking care of the dogs during the day goes along with that job.

My children and Joe are the ones with the allergies. We have dust mite covers on all of the beds and pillow cases. The couch and loveseat that he allowed the dogs to sleep on are now in the basement. I "clean" them on a regular basis.

Joe's not the problem. His love for the dogs and lack of balance where they're concerned is the problem. The man forgives anything they do because he's such a softie for dogs. I remember feeling more love and concern for animals when I was a child. I'm not a child any longer. I have children. They come first. They should be the ones to get the banana bread.

[Smile] I'm happy to report that they are being very good today, so far.

[ November 03, 2004, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Tammy ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.