FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Was just told by the vote to go die (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Was just told by the vote to go die
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp -- get on AIM.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp... I am so sorry this is happening. Some people just can never understand how restricting one group's rights can be harmful to society. Not only does it bring society down, it leads to other restrictions until sooner or later you find yourself in one of those groups. And then, they stand around with dumb looks on their faces wondering "Why".

Last night, while I was watching the different news about the elections, they brought up the different amendments and the corresponding polls. Even the wording for the people against banning same-sex marriages seemed condescending. It just reminded me that we still have a long way to go before tolerance is the minimum and exceptance is the norm. (Yes, I know that sounds idealistic. I admit it. I am a closet idealist.)

{{{{Telp}}}}

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
That just sucks. [Frown]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed, thanks for such a thoughtful and considerate post. Just wanted you to know I saw it.

(((fil)))

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp, if it helps... Providence is an incredible city that's very gay-friendly. I'd love to have you as a neighbor.

It aches that millions of Americans believe in their hearts that it's not worthy for me to love another woman. That I shouldn't receive societal approval and governmental benefits for a gay relationship. I'm planning on being childless. But somehow if I marry a man, it's different to them than if I want to marry a woman.

Yeowch. It's suddenly become very personal.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp,

I hope what I offer is comfort, but I'm not sure how it will feel.

Minority issues - the repeal of discriminatory laws and reversal of entrenched attitudes - tend to play out over decades rather than months or years.

In other words, this isn't the end of your struggle, but probably close to the beginning.

And, yes, I know that marriage rights have been an issue for gays and lesbians for a long time, but the public perception is largely that this issue appeared "overnight." Historically, that usually doesn't go well.

Hurt for now, but hold on to the belief that people, hearts and laws can change over time.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I have to point out that this in no way, shape, or form implies the vote has told you to "go die." It doesn't say to "shut up." It doesn't necessarily imply any hatred or bigotry. The only thing it says is that your relationship would not be recognized by the state and you might (or might not) get the special benefit that recognized marriages do. To claim otherwise is not very fair to those who support these amendments.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

I do think it represents a great deal of emotion and negativity.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Xap, I don't think any of us are worried about the people who voted for the amendments feel like right now. I'm concerned for Telp, because he's my friend, and I'm concerned for all the other gays and lesbians out there who now feel like they (and their relationships) are nullified by the rest of the nation.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Telp)))

Crap.

This country is going in the wrong direction in so many ways, but this one in particular I find particularly painful.

And in many ways I think these laws are just delaying us from social justice. They aren't increasing any sense of "morality" as their proponents seem to believe. They just delay what is inevitable if we are to live up to our basic ideals.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Xap... I don't want to be insulting.. but this vote is against ME personally... and all other gay folk. And this insults all those couples that are married but have no children....and insults again those gay folk who live the same way but are somehow different.

The human race will not stop breeding. Civilization will not collapse.

This is bigotry...and there is no way around it. I'm living in it. I can tell you it's real.

So, everyone who voted to dictate how I can live my life... fine. That's your right. But it's my right to insult you (plural you) back. *raises middle finger to all the voters for these evil amendments*

Now that we are even...let the court battles begin.

[ November 03, 2004, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

Being concerned for someone does not justify unfairness to somebody else.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And this insults all those couples that are married but have no children
How so? [Confused]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Becuase if the argument is that marriage is only for man and women because of procreation... well.. those straight couples who marry but have no children are destroying the institution of marriage.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Thanks for your support Space Opera.
*hug*

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think procreation is the only thing that the argument hinges on, Telp.

Obviously I don't want to debate the issue -this thread is not the place for it. Let's just say I disagree with your assessment that it's an insult to married people without children and leave it at that.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

quote:
Xap... I don't want to be insulting.. but this vote is against ME personally... and all other gay folk.
No, it really isn't - any more than any vote that takes away something I might want is against ME personally. That interpretation simply is not consistent with either the law itself or the reasons many give for supporting the law.

Now, if you went around asking each voter for a thumbs up or thumbs down on "gay folk" THEN it would be against you personally. But I bet it would end up overwhelmingly thmubs up, despite a significant minority being strongly thumbs down.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

well.. definatly not the whole debate... just one part...
dabbler
Member # 6443

Belle, some of us feel that one argument opponents have is that a gay couple can't have a family related to both of them. This is ignoring all the other "moral" arguments. People have said, "Well, they don't need those benefits because marriage is for family." Well what happens when a straight couple chooses not to bear children?
Xaposert
Member # 1612

I think that just proves the "no children" argument doesn't hold any water - it's not the real reason people are against gay marriage, I suspect.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
No, it really isn't - any more than any vote that takes away something I might want is against ME personally
How often does a law or a new amendment take anything away from you? Or anyone else? Not that often. Loosing the right to shoot fireworks or having to pay a new tax isn't quite up there loosing your benefits, will, executorship, visitation rights, and having the dream of union put out of reach for 50 years or more. And in some of these states the new amendments are apparently talking about banning anything that LOOKS like it might be gay. How they plan on enforcing this I have no idea.
Xaposert
Member # 1612

I want affordable healthcare - and that is a pretty critical (life and death even) issue for a lot of people. The government won't give it to me, though. Does that mean the government is voting against ME personally? No. It's not even voting against the collectively uninsured personally. It's just voting against a certain healthcare plan.

And this amendment is just against a certain way of the government defining marriage. It's not against YOU or even gay people in general.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp -- how does this vote take anything from you that you have?

Now, maybe it shuts the door for you getting something you want, but that's not the same thing as taking it from you.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Taking away a possible future is definitely taking away that is real and of value. Telp has been personally affected by this - the society he lives in is not the one that he thought he did, and his possible future has been altered. That's definitely a loss. [Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] damn. So sorry....

mayday, on the bright side, it got stricken down here.

[ November 03, 2004, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
If it is any consolation, most of the people who voted for the bans probably did so not realizing the effect it would have on you and other gay people. They probably did not sit down and listen to the concerns of someone who would be directly affected by their vote. Partially because you and Karl Ed and Synthesia and others have explained why it matters to you, I voted no on the gay marriage ban in my state. So maybe you didn't prevent any bans from passing, but you influenced at least one voter. You put a human face on the issue, and it is vital that you keep doing that. People are fine with keeping "those gays" from marrying, but it's harder to do something you know will hurt your friends.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Yes Kat... you got it down pat.
Yah Porter... Kat said it for me.

Thanks everbody for your support.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
...So maybe you didn't prevent any bans from passing, but you influenced at least one voter. You put a human face on the issue, and it is vital that you keep doing that. People are fine with keeping "those gays" from marrying, but it's harder to do something you know will hurt your friends.
That's a success then. [Smile]
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
It passed in KY too. You have my sympathies.

Fight back. Fight where it hurts. Find something important to most or all of the supporters of the ban, or something important to those with power or influence over the supporters. Threaten and/or destroy it, and let them know why you did so.

I wish I could think of something more specific, but I have my own civil liberties that I fight for. I would say find a national company, preferably one that does not dominate its market. It should be based in Michigan and employs lots of people there. Organize a boycott. Support laws that hurt that company.

That is just one idea. Your enemies have all the guns right now, so it is time to develop WMDs.

Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Find something important to most or all of the supporters of the ban, or something important to those with power or influence over the supporters. Threaten and/or destroy it, and let them know why you did so.
I can't think of anything that would less effective.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Ok, I gotta say this. If you don't like it, blame it on the snarky pregnancy hormones. STOP TELLING TELPY THAT HE SHOULDN'T FEEL BAD ABOUT THIS AND THAT IT'S NOT ABOUT HIM PERSONALLY. This isn't a debate thread, and those of you who are posting unsupportive comments need to go do so in another thread.

space opera

Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
It worked for African-Americans.
Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Ok, I'm sorry, but I didn't add this. Why is it that we can have a thread that runs 3 pages full of support for a woman who feels she's been assaulted by a man - as well as reassurances that she's not over-reacting? But when a gay man opens up and shares his feelings some of you just can't help but kick him when he's down. Telp has just been told that his future has been changed!!! Possibilities are now closed to him. Maybe he hasn't "lost" anything, as one person so haughtily pointed out, but have some compassion.

space opera

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Find something important to most or all of the supporters of the ban, or something important to those with power or influence over the supporters. Threaten and/or destroy it, and let them know why you did so.
That sure sounds like terrorism to me.
katharina
Member # 827

Please, could that conversation take place in another thread?
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Clarify please?
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[Keanu]Whoa![/Keanu]
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Maybe he hasn't "lost" anything, as one person so haughtily pointed out, but have some compassion.
I didn't intend to say this in a haughty manner. Telp said "How often does a law or a new amendment take anything away from you? Or anyone else? Not that often." I thought about his question, and I thought "Not that often. In fact, I'm not sure it's happening here."
katharina
Member # 827

Do not argue with Danzig about terrorism in this thread.

Added: Porter, do you understand now how taking away a possible future and taking away hope of something is actually taking something away?

[ November 03, 2004, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Toretha: it did? Wow, I've been out of the loop for a long time.

and another kiss for telpy [Kiss] from both me and B. [Big Grin] Now, there, you get a kiss from a cute Asian boy. ::hopes that brightens your day::

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
You know...

I'm a white guy, with a Judeo-Christian upbringing. I was raised in a good neighborhood, by good parents who made good livings.

I've never read about myself on a ballot. So aside from the fact that I really do think this and similar moves have taken something from homosexuals (whether or not it was lost long ago, or never there at all is another issue), I certainly wouldn't presume to say it's not a loss. Because I've never read about myself on a ballot, and had myself so clearly 'chastised' (for want of a different, less polite term)

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

katherina -- I see what you're saying, but I don't think it really qualifies.

Every time there is any vote, one side will always lose a future where they vote would have gone the other way. But from what Telp said, it's obvious that he isn't talking about something so general that it applies to every election.

Telp has one idea of how he wants social issues to go over the next 50 years. The majority of the voters in his state have a different direction they want things to go.

The only difference I see is that this affects him so personally, and I can certainly understand his frustration and anger.

edit: to make it clear who I am referring to

[ November 03, 2004, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

katharina
Member # 827

Qualifies as what? As a loss? There was a future that could have been, and now because of a vote and a majority of the people in the society in which he lives, cannot be.

Of course he's upset that it affects him personally - that's why he started the thread.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Telp has one idea of how he wants social issues to go over the next 50 years. The majority of the voters in his state have a different direction they want things to go."

It's amazing how democracy can be used to justify any evil based on its popularity.

[ November 03, 2004, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
God hates fags. It's a widely believed fact.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

kath -- I'm not sure exactly, because I'm not sure exactly what Telp was trying to say in his post.

But I guess it's bad form to discuss the validity of Telps statments at this time -- it's viewed as kicking him when he's down. For that, I apologize.

[ November 03, 2004, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
porter,
Say you're a women prior to 1920 who really wants to vote and believes that it is unjust that you are and that the social climate is changing in such a way that more people are coming around to your side of things. Then, during an election, your state and many other states pass laws that specifically say something like "The act of voting is defined as when a MAN votes. Any system that has women having anylike like a say in an election is illegal." would you think that something had been taken away from you? The de facto situation may not have actually changed, but I think that this takes away dignity and potential. What has telp lost? Maybe the hope that he'd be treated as an equal human being?

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

It is kicking him when he's down. Start another thread to argue about the statements - we owe it to a member of Hatrack to have a clear thread to be sad about something.
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Kat. Please, guys, take this outside?
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. Back to the telp-hugging.

{{{{{{telp}}}}}}

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.