FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Was just told by the vote to go die (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Was just told by the vote to go die
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! ((((((Telpy)))))))

Does this make us tree-huggers?

[ November 03, 2004, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs* Telp. If you ever want to visit New England to get a flavor of the blue area up here, I'd totally be willing to host you for a few days.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
I know we don't know one another, so this may be a bit forward, but

(((((Telp)))))

Thank you so much for sharing.

Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Telp)))

Um, guys. Telp may loose something, tangible and important.

his health insurance.

Right now his health insurance comes through coverage given to his signifigant other--his boy friend.

The way this law is written does not say that the two can never marry, despite how deep their love is.

It says that there can be no legal relationship between them that is similar to those given to a married couple.

This can be read to include the health insurance he now has.

And I am sure that there are some right-wing-conervative-bible thumpers, I mean real Gay bashing whacko's, who are willing to sue any company that dares cross the line and treats thier gay employees like thier non-gay ones.

Perhaps due to a legal ruling, or just the fear of a law suit, Telp may soon loose his health insurance.

And without health insurance, your life expectancy drops as you have to skimp and avoid expensive doctor visits.

So don't look at this as Telp crying over a lost weddding cake. This is a physical, $$$, and possibly life and death issue for him.

He has my full support, and I will tell him so better after my anger cools down.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Telp))) [Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Telperion,

I am so sorry for all my friends who are brave enough to be openly gay, and to fight for their human rights. What a terrible shame.

Move to Massachusetts. Live in Northampton.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy hell. [Frown]

(((Telp)))

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
It also means that if Telp falls ill, his partner may be barred from helping him make medical decisions, even filling out the hospital paperwork, and in severe cases, his partner could be barred from seeing him.

Also, any rights to property shared between the two are right out the window. If they went in and bought a car together and the partner died, the partner's parents would have first dibs on the vehicle, instead of Telp.

That's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the abuses that might just roll down hill from here at him.

This wasn't just saying that he will have no rights. It is saying that he has enjoyed rights that he should never have been given, well beyond the simple act of exchanging wedding rings.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind debate in this thread... It's all good Porter. I dont' know where else to talk about this anyway....

Karl Rove came on and bascially said that the gay banning amendments were used as a ploy to get people out to vote. Bastard. This is just like the Jim Crow laws.

Now all the media is talking about how this proves that gay folk can never be part of the mainstream and that any politician or government would suffer the same fate if they tried to give us equal rights. Where is a Dr. King when we need him? [Frown]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure that's that what this immediately means for Telp. In other words, I don't think he has a serious boyfriend at the moment.

Added: Hi. Was that right? I didn't know if that was right.

quote:
Karl Rove came on and bascially said that the gay banning amendments were used as a ploy to get people out to vote. Bastard. This is just like the Jim Crow laws.

I believe it. That man is an incredible Machiavelli.

[ November 03, 2004, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
Tel,

Although it doesn't assuage the sting very much, know that I tried and did my part to quash the Amendment here in Arkansas. No, I'm not Gay, but that doesn't mean I cannot see the issue from your side. I might not 'feel' it as keenly as you, but I DO see the wrong in it. Almost every referendum that passed not only banned Gay Marriage, but ANY form of legal recognition for Gays that attempted to simulate marriage. This includes legal contracts drawn up by individuals through lawyers.
I do wish the other side could see what it is they are denying a segment of our society. But they can't (MY opinion) because they take those Rights and Privileges for granted.

Rest assured, the fight will continue. And I will stand proudly and tall by your side.

Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does this make us tree-huggers?
[Wink] heheh.. yup!

*glows with silver light*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
I'm not sure that's that what this immediately means for Telp. In other words, I don't think he has a serious boyfriend at the moment.

Added: Hi. Was that right? I didn't know if that was right.

Yup.. you're right. No partner or even a boyfriend currently! *sniff*

quote:
Although it doesn't assuage the sting very much, know that I tried and did my part to quash the Amendment here in Arkansas. No, I'm not Gay, but that doesn't mean I cannot see the issue from your side...
There are some cool pins out there for straight folk supporting their fellow gay citizens.
They say (usually with the rainbow or triangle): Straight, not narrow.

[ November 03, 2004, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Telp,

I am sorry to hear that. I am of the opinion that no matter where you fall on the "gay issue" (as in whether you are a bible person who thinks its a sin, or unnatural, or whatever people may be thinking) we should not vote for these amendments.

It doesn't matter what your personal feelings about homosexuals are. That has nothing to do with it. This is a matter of practicality and justice. If we are all equal, then we should all be equal.

I send you my sympathies, I know this must hurt.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, it doesn't help to exagerate the likely effect of the amendment. True, no one knows the effect of a law until a court rules on it. But in this case there's a lot of reason to be fairly optimistic:

All those mechanisms for health insurance, shared property, wills, and most of the other documents at issue have legal existence outside the context of marriage. Marriage contains elements of these that cannot be duplicated by application of these legal mechanisms. Therefore, these mechanisms are not likely to be considered as substitutes for marriage.

For example, if you help someone buy a car and put both names on the title, that person's heirs will get his share of the car should he die. There are many ways to ensure that you are the person who gets the car should he die: will, joint ownership agreement, trust. All of these methods have well-founded legal principles separate from marital law. All of these mechanisms are used by unmarried persons every single day.

Dan's right in that it's the fear of lawsuits that will have the most immediate impact. Fanning those fears could exacerbate this problem.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Telp, Slate agrees with you. Obliquely.
quote:
There was no fairly evenly divided group in the middle of the electorate that ultimately broke for one side and made the difference. The 2004 campaign was not a tug of war between two sides trying to yank the center toward them. Instead, it was a battle over an electorate perched on a balance beam. Each campaign furiously tried to find new voters to add so that it could outweigh the other side. Both sides performed capably: Kerry received more votes than Al Gore did four years ago, and he even received more votes than the previous all-time leader, Ronald Reagan in 1984. President Bush just did even better.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid if the ACLU manages to overturn these pernicious props that it will cause a federal amendment banning equal rights for gay couples.

I really don't think we can win here. There are just too many phobes. And it definately crosses party lines because otherwise the votes would be much much closer.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Telp)))))) (sigh) I'm sorry, baby. I want you to be happy. But remember, it's always darkest before the dawn. Come to MN, we're fairly liberal here.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

NPR was full this morning of reports that of all the issues that people were voting on, "moral values" was the most popular - 23%. That explains why the high turnout didn't go to the Democrats like convential wisdom dictated.

Karl Rove is a tricky, tricky man. Holy moley.

Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
You could move south, and then get married.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, what surprises me is how many people would show up to vote against moral values. [Mad]
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trondheim
Member # 4990

- posted      Profile for Trondheim   Email Trondheim         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m truly sorry for your troubles, Telperion, and I think King of Men is right, even though you probably thought of it as a joke. You should come and live in Scandinavia or the Netherlands where you will be more appreciated.

Getting rich is more difficult, by getting by is far easier. Come join us! [Wink]

Posts: 99 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, katharina. He knows how to win.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kat, what surprises me is how many people would show up to vote against moral values.
You're surprised? I'm horrified. Especially by the gay marriage bans. On a related note, Saskatchewan just legalized gay marriage, and it is the seventh Canadian province or territory (of thirteen total) to do so.

Telp, I hope for your sake that our Canadian bleeding-heart-liberal-pinko-communism starts to seep down your way so that you can enjoy the same rights as everyone else. [Smile]

[ November 03, 2004, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Telp, I am very very sorry for you. I find the attitudes in the US towards gay marriage (or civil unions) extremely disturbing to say the least. I am really sorry these amendments got passed.

(((Telp)))

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Telp))) It was severely distressing to see how these props were passing last night. Here's hoping that this disturbing trend reverses itself quickly.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Telp))))) [Frown] I'm sorry.
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Maisy - hugging on Telp will make you a tree hugger depending exactly where you happen to be hugging.

Mind the splinters. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Telp))) I think it stinks. I was working at a polling place all day yesterday, and I've been trying to avoid the news today, so I didn't realize until I read this that all of the anti-gay marriage amendments passed. It's awful.

quote:
I want affordable healthcare - and that is a pretty critical (life and death even) issue for a lot of people. The government won't give it to me, though. Does that mean the government is voting against ME personally? No. It's not even voting against the collectively uninsured personally. It's just voting against a certain healthcare plan.
Yeah, if you can't afford health care, it is against individuals. It is saying that if you don't have enough money to pay for health care yourself, then you're life isn't as valuable as someone who is rich enough to pay for insurance. Being in that position myself right now, I pretty much take it as a personal insult.

[ November 03, 2004, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: littlemissattitude ]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Telp. I'm so sorry.

((((((Telp))))))

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Thanks for the huggles everybody.
[Group Hug]

Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I too late?

(((Telp)))

I'd like to apologize for all the schmucks in the world.

Not that I'm a schmuck, but I doubt very much that they'd apologize, and somebody's got to do it.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

[Wink]
Thanks ssywak.

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] (((Telp)))

Maybe I should just not come back when I go to New Zealand in December.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
If I could vote, I'd have voted against it...

I am not gay, but... I believe that this is just another sign of we humans discrimination and predjudice... I feel sorry for you, people can't accept those who are different, I just hope someday people will wake up...

To me it doesn't matter if you're gay, straight, or bi... To be denied these rights is unconstitutional... That all men are created equal, even if they are gay, they still have the same rights as any other... Yet people persist in destroying them...

I'm so sorry Telp.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((((((((((((((Telp))))))))))))))))))))

Somehow I didn't see this thread until now. Telp, I'm so sorry. So incredibly sorry! They have no right to do this to you, or anyone else in your situation. None whatsoever. *more hugs* I wish there was something I could do to help. [Frown]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
*also didn't see this thread earlier*

(((Telp))) Dude. I'm sorry. [Frown]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to remember the name and position of the EU official who was quoted as saying 'homosexuality is a sin'.

This is just to say that while it's sometimes popular to speak as if homosexual discrimination were an American phenomonenon, it ain't-it's a human problem.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
It is too bad that the guy with AIDS is going to die because he cannot get married...

Wait no he is going to die because he has AIDS. Well it is not his fault, after all he might be in that tiny percent of people who contracted AIDS without engaging in risky behavior.

Oh wait we already said he was gay.

Behavior is always a choice, I feel little sympathy for those that die from Base Jumping.

As for the rest, well there are twelve states where it is unlikely the ban will ever pass. Lots of great people in them who think as you. Get together, make your own Amendment and hope that the Fedeal constitutional ban never flies.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Winna! We have a winna, folks!

Step right up, winna, and claim your prize for insensitive jackass irrelevancy! Winna!

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
*dumps Bean Counter's huge jar of beans out on the floor*

Now go count them!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh let me try again! Please?!?

I am so sorry you feel bad! I am so proud of the rest of you for feeling bad about he/she feeling bad.

This law is so clearly bad! It is bad to not let people have what they want and we should give it to them because they really want it!

I feel bad, and sad and more bad!

Did I get it right?

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I don't give a rat's posterior if you're 'proud' of me for being sad for him. Just, please, muster if you can enough humanity to shut up?
katharina
Member # 827

*agrees with Rakeesh*
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really, no. *patpat*

Edit: slowness is lame.

[ November 04, 2004, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Zotto! ]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

You know what, Bean Counter? It's possible to hold a policy position that has negative effects on people you hold to be a friend and not be an utter insensitive little pissant about those effects.

If you're going to support such a position, you are morally obligated to have taken the negative effects into account. Showing an ounce of compassion for the very real, very personal effects of your chosen policies would go a long way to convincing people that you've actually considered the fact that real people are injured by your position.

Plus, it's just a decent thing to do.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, but you see, by believing the rationale above, can (doesn't necessarily mean, however) allow someone to lose any sort of empathy towards that class of people whatsoever.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm confused... Which class of people are we lacking empathy for in this thread? The gay folk or the folk who want to ban gay marriage?

Can't we be fair to both?

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Bok, which post did "the rationale above" refer to?

Dagonee

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Bean Counter's, of course.

Now, I'm not saying his rationale necessarily causes the lack of empathy BC exhibited, but in my experience, it seems to correlate as a trend toward that direction.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.