FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Name My Laptop

Author Topic: Name My Laptop
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a tradition of naming things. It started with cars.

Honda Civic - Vladimir Cliff, or Vlady for short
Chev Sprint - Vlady Too
Honda Accord - Nuanda the Honda - dedicated to the Dead Poets Society
Alero - Maximilian

Then there were my cats.

Tellulah - the peach colored domestic short hair schizoid
Oberon - big fat black and grey swirl named after the King of the Faeries in a Midsummer Night's Dream

And then there was my first laptop:

Craptop - an Acer that went in for repair more than a dozen times in the first year, and actually spent two weeks there, followed by four hours at home after being delivered by the courier, followed by another two week stay.

And there was another laptop after the craptop, but I didn't name it.

And now there's this one. I'm seriously considering naming it, but need some ideas.

Anyone? Anyone?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So what kind of laptop is this? What are it's characteristics that might affect a name?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I name all my computers after Jewish things.

There's SEPHIROT, GOLEM, TZADIK, and MAHARAL.

I suggest you name yours. . .eh. . . SUZIEQ.

Or BILQUIS.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Sephiroth is cool because it equals FF7 and you can't go wrong with FF7
Or Vincent.
So it's definetly male? All of my electronics are female except for Vasilly

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
It has no personality. None whatsoever. It's dull and it's boring.

It's black with silver accents. It's a Dell.

What else is there to tell?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, it's a male. All my cars were always male. I think it has to be male, too.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hmmm... dull...and boring....

Well, that makes me think of several male names....
[Big Grin]
but you haven't specified yet if you prefer a gender-neutral type name, or what...

Farmgirl

edit: oops! you posted first!

[ November 03, 2004, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I'm leaning toward Alvin or Alfred

(in respect to Al Gore)

FG

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Was Gore an Alvin or Alfred? Or Alfreda? Or Alvina? Or Alethea? Or Alison? [ROFL] [ROFL]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Most likely an Albert.

But I'll go look it up.

FG

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yep, Albert:

quote:
U.S. Vice President. Born Albert Arnold Gore Jr., on March 31, 1948

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Darn.

Na, don't like the Al names. Anyone else?

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Another hint. If you haven't figured it out already, I like unusual. As in, not normal, not usual, not common. [Big Grin]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yeah - I'm not too good at unusual.

Too bad Ivygirl isn't online today. She is really good at all sorts of weird names. She names EVERYTHING at our house.

FG

[ November 03, 2004, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Nureyev, the (lap)top dancer

[ November 03, 2004, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally like mythology names. In fact, Josh and Bernard's laptops were named by me: Nukua, the Chinese goddess of order and Eris, the Greek goddess of discord. My laptop (also a Dell, btw--you're in for a trip) is named Nanashi, which is Japanese for No Name.

Some ideas for you:
Aries--the Greek god of war was actually a renowed coward.
Ate--Greek goddess of mischief, evil and misfortune. She was thrown out of Olympia by Zeus after causing trouble.
Adikia--Greek goddess of injustice
Saa--Egyptian personification of intelligence
Imhotep--Yes, the mummy from the hit movie series was actually a real person. He designed the Stepped Pyramid and after his death was raised to the status of god of intelligence, architecture and medicine.

If you liked those, check out MythHome.org for more ideas and cultures.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I never heard of anyone naming a car with a male name. I've only ever given my cars female or gender-neutral names (Old Bess, Big Red, Dreadnought).

I vote for Martha or Sydney (as in Stewart and Bristow).

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liaison
Member # 6873

- posted      Profile for Liaison   Email Liaison         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Ramone?
Roll the R and say it all exotic-like.
*chuckle*
It's random, but hey! [Big Grin]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tellulah - the peach colored domestic short hair schizoid
My dog's name is Tallulah!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Halfrekt
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Socketeze--Plug it in and argue with it for a day

Gigolo--It sits on your lap like a cheap dancer, warms up, folds over, and may spread a nasty virus.

Denzel--Compact(Well, not overly large), black, and full of power.

George--Pronounced like an old Bugs Bunny cartoon--THis is my brother Geooorge. Kind of slow and dim witted.

Ishmail--because its almost as much fun to say as hufflepuff.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
Pyewacket - if it's going to be your familiar

Biff - generic name for a generic male laptop

Cletus Wayne - I don't even KNOW where that came from

Loki - aren't all computers mischevious?

Nothing else really interesting comes to mind. Our computers at home are all named after Trek shios - Enterprise (the hubby) Defiant (mine) and Voyager (guest bedroom/3rd pc). I'm interested to see that all of you have male cars. Mine is a girl, and her name is Bettie. She's a big beautiful black Trailblazer with Bettie Page stickers all over. But then again, I live in Texas, and we all name our trucks down here

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote Morbo

MORBO IS PLEASED!

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
El dorado!
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Roman names.

Postumus
Diadumenianus
C. Nymphidius Sabinus
Hostilian

Then there's always Defenestrator...

Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Douglas?
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Mendax--The Liar

Gates--that way if the best happens Bill will find out, be impressed that you named your computer after him, and leave you a couple mill. If the worst happens and the computer dies, you can always say "The enemy Gates is down".

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
My computer is named Willow, because I'm a Buffy freak. [Smile]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
If not Vincent then Maximillian.
Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
My computer is named Shuichiro after a comic character that was ressurected from death. [Smile] As was my laptop. [Smile]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
My last laptop's name was Adversity.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
How bout Marvolo?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

So far, my favorites are, in no particular order:

Cletus Wayne
Bilquis
Nureyev (humour is always a good thing, plus I have a thing for Russian names. Go figure.)
Ramone
Halfrekt

You guys have given me some great ideas. But I need more. More! More, I tell you!!!! [Evil Laugh]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
How about Thufir Hawat, the Mentat from Dune?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Nope, not into that one from Dune.

As I think about it, I ponder the meaning of "Halfrekt" and wonder if that would just be providing a prophesy for this laptop to live up to? I don't think I want to jinx it that way.

So my current short list has become:

Cletus Wayne
Bilquis
Nureyev
Ramone (pronounced Rrrramone!)

Any other suggestions?

esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Alyosha
Andrei
Alexei
Konstantin
Nikolai
Sergei

I'm stuck a little past the middle of Anna Karenina. I love their names too.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Myrtle
Mildred
Ethel

But those are all if you decide the laptop's female... [Wink]

(I actually don't like those names for people, but a computer named Mildred would be awesome!)

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Nah, sorry, but it's gotta be male. It's just not even . . . possible for it to be female. It's just, oh, so guy!

And I'm still torn between those four. Although the top two are narrowed down to

Cletus Wayne ir
Nureyev

Can't decide. Any more suggestions?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.