FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Announcing Secret Meeting of the Hatrack Secret Liberal Cabal

Author Topic: Announcing Secret Meeting of the Hatrack Secret Liberal Cabal
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Face it. We lost.

Don't cry.

Don't run around blaming the voters or the machinations of evil Republican honcho's.

We lost.

Lets move on.

What will the results be?

New Supreme Court?

No more Abortions for anyone?

The Environment destroyed?

Old Growth Forests burned, chopped up, and sold?

Oil slicks lining most of Alaska's coast as oil money lines the pockets of the politicians?

The Ten Commandments enforced on the court house wall?

Prayer not allowed in school, but demanded, regulated, enforced?

The word Moderate becoming as evil as the word Liberal has become?

Wrong.

None of this will happen until we surrender, or run away, or insult those good people who voted differently from us.

Most people don't want those things to happen. Most people are sick of Haliburton's cheating ways and the Insurance Companies sacking of the medical industry.
Most people want a more moderate path.

Now that Bush, who no longer is restrained by his need to be reelected, has total control, the country will see what he truly wants to do, and how moderate, or dangerous, he is.

We have learned much in this election.

We have learned tactics that we do not want to use, so we must disarm them by outting them.

A big enough lie told often enough and loud enough will eventually be believed. This is the cornerstone of Propaganda. This is the cornerstone of much of the political ads we heard.

It can be defeated by truth told loudly and big enough, as long as the truth is simple.
"Kerry is not strong enough to fight the terror" can not be defeated by the scream "Yes I Am." It can only be defeated by the scream, "Bush is in charge and the terror thrives!" or "Strength is fine, brains are better."

Fear sells.

Not just fear of terror attacks, but fear of the different, the unusual, the gay or the black or the minority next door, the non-Christian, the stranger.

Laugh at the fear. Belittle the foe, and the idea that we need to cower from it.

Beware the Spin Lords.

Not Spin Doctors, but lords, kings, spin Emporers. In this information age, those who use Information the best are those who build empires. Find those people and expose them. Find their methods and counter them. Find their faults and expose them.

Factcheck.org and other sites, purely neutral, are a great asset in fighting thier ideas and thier lies.

There is more we have learned, but we must now fight harder than ever to put it in place.

We don't want to build a secret liberal world. We want a moderate, sane, American Democracy.

It is not impossible.

I am reminded about something RR Martin wrote, though I can't quote it exactly. It was a riddle.

A king, a General, a Merchant and a Bishop were sitting in a room, all unarmed. In the center stood one lone soldier with his sword.

The King said, "YOur country demands you slay the others."

The General said, "I order you to kill the others."

The Merchant said, "I have a ton of gold for you if you kill the others."

The Bishop said, "God commands you to kill the others."

Who does the soldier kill? Who has the power?

The answer is, whoever the soldier believes has the power, even if its just himself.

I look at this last election and I see a similar scenario. The politician is the one in the center. Surrounding him is the voter, but his power only comes with masses. There is the merchants with their cash. There are the special interest groups with their promises. There are the non-elected party planners with their schemes and dirty tricks.

Each demands total obiediance from the politician.

Each claim to have the true power.

The truth is, the only one with the power is whoever the politician believes has the power.

We have to make them believe that we, and our ideals, have that power.

Now wipe up those tears, quit your complaining and get to work.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice post, Dan
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, I like you more and more daily. Thanks for the boost.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice post, as usual.. [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the post, Dan. Very positive!

But a question:
quote:
Who does the soldier kill? Who has the power?

The answer is, whoever the soldier believes has the power, even if its just himself.

(The soldier should maybe kill himself? [Confused] I take it I have to be reading this wrong.)

Cheers!

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, that was the most encouraging thing I've read/heard all day.
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
The alliances that mean something now are with people who may have voted for George Bush but who don't blindly accept whatever the Bush administration says. There are people who value what is good for this country over partisan loyalty. There are people who place principle over party.

If you focus on principle, if you focus on reason, these people will work with you. If you scream and threaten and complain like children, if spin and deception are your tools, these people will ignore you. No matter if the people in charge and many of the people who put them there don't want unity, there are many who do.

From the play Galileo
quote:
-Pity the land that has no hero.
-No. Pity the land that needs a hero.

American doesn't need a hero to preserve her. She's needs a bunch of people on both sides who are willing to act like adults.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I must admit I was inspired by Edward's concession speach I heard while at lunch.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Great post Dan.

Haven't we tried to get you to run for office before?

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara - Dan means that the soldier might think he is the one with the power.

[ November 03, 2004, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the soldier supposed to kill the one with the power? (I'm not familiar with the reference.)

Or wait -- is it that the soldier is supposed to kill whomever the person with the power tells him to kill? Which would mean that he should kill whomever he wants to, since he is the one with the power.

(Still doesn't sound like I'm reading this right. [Frown] But regardless, a rousing sort of piece.)

[ November 03, 2004, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I need a thread to post this and it has nothing to do with anything but I that "Demlicans" and "Republocrats" were funny names for a party.

[Smile]

Carry on...

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that Dan is full of himself as are most on the left.

Cock-a-doddle-doo!!

It is the right which hunkered down beneath the long assault on character filled with wild accusations and shrill propaganda, they hunkered down and waited, then they voted.

Then you lost.
[Evil Laugh]
BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I was so close to posting about how impressed I was with the restraint people were showing in victory too. Oh well.

Sara - Replace "Who does the soldier kill?" with "Who does the soldier obey?" in that story and the intended meaning is a bit clearer, I think.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, you just made my day. Great philosophy. Thank you!
Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Inspiring.

[Thanks, Sean. I think this was obvious to everyone but me -- it was a rough day. [Wink] ]

[ November 03, 2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. There were no lies or attacks on characters from the Republicans, nor was there any propaganda from them, at all.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Well, you know, some things you just ignore.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We don't want to build a secret liberal world. We want a moderate, sane, American Democracy.
Amen, Dan.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Bean, it seems to me you need to reconsider your argument.

I purposefully made my aqusations party neutral.

I did not say, "The Republican's did this and the Democrats did not."

You spun my thread in your own mind to make it seem as if I did.

Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, you just topped yourself. Thank you.
Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, and later, well-handled, Dan.

Better ways lead to better days.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhhh, Dan . . . you are so succinct. I was thinking similar thoughts, today - get over it and get on with life. Learn and work hard and move on - [Smile]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, you just took what i've been saying all day and made it sound a million times better. Thank you...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a centrist, but I'm thinking about joining the Hatrack Secret Liberal Cabal...

[Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I just love the title of this thread. Dan, you are a funny -- and wise -- man. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, have you seen the Flame Warriors site recently? I had somebody on Ornery accuse me of being a Godfather-type just last week, and I wasn't at all sure how to deny it without confirming it. So I had him whacked. [Wink] j/k

[ November 03, 2004, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Great post. Much more neutral and clear thinking than I'll ever be. And inspiring. [Hail]
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

*presses nose with a finger, wink-wink

There is no Godfather. [Dont Know]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
In politics, perception is reality, and negative campaigning and spin work.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
I am gonna ditto most of the comments in this thread and say, "Great post, Dan."

And about the godfather thing... I think someone is just hankering for a game of Mafia is all. Admit it.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Ask about my stint as mafia godfather. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice handling of BC, too.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So I had him whacked. j/k

Tom, the fact that you don't using the j/k much anymore and yet you used it here has me greatly concerned. [Eek!]
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about the j/k.

Tom, please don't dissappoint me again and use j/k.

I like to try to figure out for myself when you're serious and when you're joking. [Wink]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dan for President!!
*votes*
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Want to do something positive?

Cut and paste what I said and e-mail it to a few friends.

But add this to it as well.

Normally I hate this kind of spam, but I want the word to go out. We ain't crying in our Wheaties this morning. We are smart and we will move on.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.