FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate!!!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate!!!!!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay is the coolest person in the whole wide world. It's official, she's won that title. And no one else comes close. At least, not until they send me chocolate, too!

This was all started over at Eljay's chocolate thievin' mouse topic. And now I'm continuing it here.

But let me tell you the story before we get to the inventory.

The mailman just arrived. In Sri Lanka, they ride around on bicycles with mail sorted in a wire mesh basket on the front of their bikes. He speaks no English, and we communicate effectively with nods, gestures, and such. He rang my doorbell, and I already knew it wasn't the fish guy because I'd bought fish from the fish guy this morning. So hope against hope, could it possibly be? Could it be the mailman?

Indeed, it was, and he was holding a parcel. Interesting. It's actually being delivered to my door. Usually, parcels go through customs first, which means you get a notice and have to go down and collect it in person after they open it and assess a fee - some kind of fee - any kind of fee - just to make sure your trip down there wasn't futile. And I've also heard a lot of stories where, if it says that there's chocolate or candy on the outside, it either doesn't get delivered, or it's opened up first, the good stuff removed, and then delivered.

My box hadn't been opened. At all.

I'm so happy. [Party]

Now for inventory.

Eljay is awesome. Have I said that already?

In this box, there was:

Lake Champlain Chocolates, Raspberry Truffle filled Dark Chocolate. Pure Belgian Chocolate, made in Vermont, all natural.

Dagoba Organic chocolate, Mon Cheri, forest grown organic dark chocolate infused with sun dried berries and pure vanilla. (Chocolate is sacred. There is an art to the alchemy of flavor infusion, an art we explore with mystery and integrity.) "You can deprive the body, but the soul needs chocolate."

Daboga Organic Chocolate, Latte, forest grown organic milk chocolate infused with espresso and a hint of cinnamon.

Dagoba Organic Chocolate, New Moon, forest grown organic dark chocolate.

Dagoba Organic Chocolate, Lavendar, forest grown organic dark chocolate infused with lavendar essence and wild blueberries.

De Bas Chocolatier, Chocolate Peaches.

Valrhona, Les Grands Crus de Chocolat Valrhona, Jivara Lait, Noix de Pecan. Milk chocolate with split pecans.

And the one I've been hoping for the most. . .

Vosges Haut Chocolat, exotic candy bar. Red Fire Bar. Mexican ancho y chipotle. Chili peppers, Ceylon (hey folks, that's where I am! This chocolate bar has really come full circle!) cinnamon, and dark chocolate.

I am in serious heaven.

Eljay, let me say this again. YOU'RE WONDERFUL! And you're my new best friend. [Party]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] Glad you like it. Don't make yourself sick now, okay? And post reviews as you try them...
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Eljay [Kiss] you're so sweet! Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!

I will - post reviews as I try them, that is.

My niece leaves for the Maldives tomorrow, so we're trying her first request first - raspberry truffles. But since hubby isn't home, we'll wait until he is and has broken fast - it's not fair to deprive him of this experience, so we can wait.

And oh yeah, I'll keep y'all updated. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*whimpers*
I want someone to send me chocolate
Lots of dark chocolate...
50-70%
*envies hardcore*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Syn, do you live in an area where decent chocolate is readily available? If so, I only have a very small amount of sympathy for you.

Where I live, the chocolate is waxy - even the baking chocolate. Can't get chocolate chips. And specialty chocolate like this just doesn't exist!!!

But, yeah, I still have sympathy for you. Chocolate, mmmgood!

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I found a bag of the Shrek 2 Mix of M&M's today.

Am happy. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
If only I could get someone to send me a couple of cases of Pocari Sweat. I haven't had that stuff in years. . . .
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Konnyaku Jelly
that is what I want, but it's banned outside of Japan.
It is so delicious. Like jelly only firmer.
It is also healthy, but not good to feed to the old or the too young.
And then you have Melty Kisses.
*Moves to Japan*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
And melon bread. I would kill for some melon bread. Well, not exactly kill. That's too far. I wouldn't really maim, either, since that's not my style. Ah, I've got it. I would flick someone in the forehead or chest for some melon bread. And Pocari Sweat. And a shrimp burger from Lotteria.

Stupid Japan, with all their wonderful products that don't get exported to the U.S. [Grumble]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Verily, would you mind telling us about melon bread and Pocari Sweat?

Syn, what's Konnyaku Jelly? And why's it banned?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I DO live in an area where chocolate is presumably widely available, but I'm not at all sure where ElJay gets her supply. ElJay, do you order over the 'Net, or is there actually a good local chocolatier?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
De Bas Chocolatier, Chocolate Peaches.
Unbelievably fragrant. These were the ones we could smell before I even pried the box open.

White chocolate, milk chocolate, and peaches. You know how peach candy doesn't taste quite like peaches but is a sort of close sugary approximation of what they think we want peaches to taste like? This was nothing like it.

It smelled like peaches - the real thing. It tasted like peaches - the real thing. I've lived in the fruit belt in British Columbia, Canada, and I was surrounded by acres upon acres of peach orchards. I've canned 'em, I've made peach jam, I've frozen them, I've made 'em into peach cobbler, peach pie, peach chutney, and the list goes on. Peaches I know.

These were real peaches. With white and milk chocolate.

I loved them.

Fahim's reaction was that they were too sweet for him. I nearly fell down. I have a sweet tooth, but where I add two teaspoons of sugar to my tea, he adds four. Turns out he meant that it was because he just broke fast and it was too sweet for him right now. The planets realigned themselves into their proper orbit and my life resumed its intended course.

My niece loved them, I loved them, and I think I'm not letting Fahim have any more.

Man, they were good. Okay, there's still a whole lot left, so I'm not saying they're all in the past tense. But they were gooo-ooood!!!

Eljay, I'm a-gonna be thankin' you after every single bite. Man oh man, I so owe you. [Hail]

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Synthesia - Do you have a Trader Joe's in your area? They have my favorite dark chocolate - 70% cocoa powder - and it comes in a 1 pound bar for only $4. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Tom, all the stuff I sent quidscribis I got at the grocery store. We do have a couple of specialty chocolatiers in town, but I wasn't sure how their stuff would ship, it can be pretty delicate.

quids, the De Bas are some of my favorite things ever. They make pear ones, too, that are only slightly less amazing. Last time I bought a bag I opened it in my truck, and then left it behind the passenger seat so I could snitch them while I was stuck in traffic. :guilty: It didn't last long.

(In other words, you may have started with the best of the bunch.)

[ November 05, 2004, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to track down a place that sells De Bas in my area.

In your honor, quidscribs, I broke into the half a Valrhona dark chocolate (72%, I think, but the outer wrapper is at home. It could be 76%) bar that I brought to work with me today.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so cool. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

And guess what I had for dessert after dinner?

Um, nope, not Eljay's chocolate.

We had a coupl'a bananas that were getting way way ripe. So ripe that, when I picked them up off the top of the fridge, which is pretty much the last place they should be when they're getting to be that ripe, they disengaged from the stems and splatted on the floor.

What was left I fried in butter, then when it was done, sprinkled cinnamon sugar on it, and put melted chocolate (the cheap stuff, not Eljay's really good stuff) (but melted, you couldn't tell that it was waxy, so it was fine) on top.

Yum!!!!

It's just a chocolate kind'a day. [ROFL]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I do ^^

Konnyaku jelly is this stiff delicious Japanese stuff.
http://www.japanesesnacks.com/newjs.php?id=159
It's excellent, and very healthy. But it's been banned here!
If I ever go to Japan I will buy a ton of the stuff and eat it every day.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
MMMmmm...chocolate...

I just ordered some Dagoba chocolate bars. Noemon, thanks for mentioning them here on Hatrack. They are incredible.

Enjoy your chocolate, quidscribis!

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Why has it been banned over here? Is it a public health issue?

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can tell, they banned those little jelly cups that they came in, because they were considered a choking hazard. I love those little jelly cups and I think I even still have some in the freezer at home.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the jelly cups as recently as two weeks ago, at the Korean grocery store nearby. It's possible that's the last of what they are getting. Kinda sad.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bCurt
Member # 5476

- posted      Profile for bCurt   Email bCurt         Edit/Delete Post 
I was passing through Hatrack and couldn't pass up a thread on Chocolate! I remember getting a big box of assorted chocolates from my grandmother in Belgium. It had been opened somewhere along the way (most likely before departing Belgium for customs reasons - as per rumors that such a thing is often done). However, it appeared that a good portion of the contents were left. I was in chocolate heaven!

I entered by rasberry brownies in the fair this year. Many have told me how much they enjoy them so I thought I might have a chance at a ribbon. I didn't place and the brownies that beat mine were plain. I attribute it to the fact that my rasberry brownies are quite rich (made with dark chocolate, of course) and some just don't get into the fruit and chocolate combination.

Now, I need to get some chocolate. I'm craving it big time. It is a good thing it is good for me!

PS - quidscribis - I enjoyed reading some of your blog. What an experience! I enjoy reading about foreign places and wish by some miracle to someday do some traveling outside the US. I've been to Belgium and Luxembourg but no where else yet (my short trip into Mexico I won't count). My best to you and Fahim!

Posts: 134 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
MMM, Eljay, you have great taste. Dagoba I can get at the health food store (which just proves it is good for you) but the Lake Champlain we go to Cost Plus about 1/2 an hour away for. (yeah, I know, pee, moan). I have not tried the raspberry truffle-sounds scrummy.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

The sad thing here is that I'm totally out of chocolate myself. It's driving me crazy.

I didn't know that Cost Plus carries Dagoba... I'll have to check out their selection. quidscribis got the Vosges Haut chili bar because I couldn't find the Dagoba one... and because it looked really great. I've never actually tried that one.

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
M&M's come in a lot of flavors now a days. Crispy ones are the best! agree?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Ever since seeing the movie Chocolat, I've been wanting to try chilis in the chocolate, so I'm very very happy. And that's the one that's gonna be last since it's the one I'm most looking forward to.

Eljay, you're the greatest!

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Well, melon bread is basically just bread made with melon, the way you've got banana bread or pumpkin bread. It probably wouldn't be hard to make, if I was worth anything as a baker. But in Japan, you can just buy it in any bakery. It tastes really good. I've looked in every bakery I can find here, and it's nowhere to be found. (Of course, I live in Alaska. They might sell it in places like New York City or Los Angeles; I wouldn't have any way of knowing.)

Pocari Sweat is ostensibly a sports drink, which is why the word "sweat" is in the name. Because it's meant to replace the fluids you lose in working out or playing sports. ("Pocari" doesn't mean anything, by the way.) I only got to have it for a couple of weeks, and that was more than three years ago. I'd love to give a detailed description of the stuff, but it's just been too long. I distinctly remember loving it, though, and buying some every chance I got. I remember listing it at the time as one of the things I knew I'd miss most about Japan when I came back home. And I have. Very much.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Unlike Konnyaku, pocari isn't banned, so I think you might be able to find it on the net somewhere.
Noemon
Member # 1115

So...are all those jelly cup things outlawed then? How long has that been the case? I bought a big thing of durian flavored jelly cups a year or so ago, and haven't felt the urge for them since I finally polished that container off (it was freaking huge), but I *thought* I saw a shelf full of that kind of thing at the local Asian Grocery a few weeks ago. I'm going there tomorrow--I'll have to check.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I love dark chocolate the best! Hershey's special dark is great, I think, as is any dark chocolate by Godiva. I can have one bite a day, so that's enough for me. You get all the taste that way. Mmmmmmmmm chocolate! [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I don't remember if Cost Plus carries Dagoba, just that we get the Lake Champlain there.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I just managed to drip some chocolate onto myself... which was impressive, because the chocolate was solid. [Eek!]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

That's just 'cause you're so hot, Raia.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

We cracked open the Chocolate Latte. My niece was flying to the Maldives today to actually go and live with her parents - go figure [Roll Eyes] and since I can't eat it - coffee content - I figured we'd split it between her and hubby since they have no such restrictions.

Her comment? Not too strong a coffee flavor. Perfect balance. Makes her want to go have a latte. She loved it.

We also cracked open the raspberry one. Again, because niece was flying out. See, it was on the top of the list of ones to try, and I couldn't deprive her of it.

I loved it. The raspberry flavor could have been a bit stronger for me, but I'm also flavor overload girl. It was positively nummy. Niece loved it, too. So did hubby. We were all very very happy.

Yum. Chocolate. MMmmmmm. It's a party in my mouth. [Party]

Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
That's just 'cause you're so hot, Raia.
*giggle* You know it. [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Due to this thread, I found myself spending $20 in a chocolate shop today. [Big Grin]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
An entire store dedicated to chocolate? o_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. It's a place in the mall owned and run by a woman with an accent...possibly French. It's like the movie/book Chocolat. They even have chocolate mice and hedgehogs! Everything's imported except for the stuff they make there.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

*dies*
quidscribis
Member # 5124

That, right there, is almost enough for me to want to move back to civilization. <sigh>
Raia
Member # 4700

Mack, you didn't know those existed??
mackillian
Member # 586

NO! I've been SO deprived. [Frown]
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
*pat pat*
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm allergic to chocolate. I eat, and then I suffer.

[Frown]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

CHOCOLATE MICE AND HEDGEHOGS?
EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW [Angst]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, chocolate *dipped* mice and hedgehogs, anyway.

Kama, that's just horrible.

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* We went to CostPlus World Market ourselves yesterday because you evil people have been making me crave chocolate! We got some Ritter milk chocolate cappuccino, Valor orange dark chocolate and Hachez strawberry pepper 77% dark chocolate. Yum! Didn't see Dagoba, though.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

There's a podunk little town a few hours north of where I live where they have a very charming little chocolate shop. It's very small (but then, so is the town--like, if you drive more than five miles per hour down the main street downtown, you'll hit people), but they have a variety of things I never see here in the "big" city. The proprietor is an old German woman, which I suspect explains the variety. Of course, I'm not much for chocolate--I go there for the marzipan.

Mmmmmm. Marzipan. *Dies with pleasure at the very thought of the stuff*

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to move out of the third world country and live somehwere they have all this cool stuff you keep talking about.

Of course, I'd need a supply of anti-alergy pills or something, or learn to live with permanent running nose... which I kinda do already...

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.