FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate!!!!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate!!!!!
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This was all started over at Eljay's chocolate thievin' mouse topic. And now I'm continuing it here.

"Chocolate Thievin' Mouse Topic" would be a good book or record album title.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, technically Poland is second world.

HTH, I-3

[Wink]

[ November 07, 2004, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know there was still a "second world". I thought that phrase disappeared with the Soviet Union. Well, live and learn.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

Well, it's an outmoded concept in a way, though I like the term "fourth world" to refer to indigenous peoples who don't necessarily exist within national boundaries.

Also, and Kama can certainly correct me here, but my observation from outside is that the former "second world" countries are still deeply affected by their years behind the iron curtain, and the term retains some utility to describe that status.

EDIT: now how's that for thread drift? [Big Grin]

[ November 07, 2004, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/47/

[The Wave]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, and Kama can certainly correct me here, but my observation from outside is that the former "second world" countries are still deeply affected by their years behind the iron curtain, and the term retains some utility to describe that status.

Pretty much, yes. That's why we don't have all these kinds of chocolate stuff. Although a sushi place got recently open in my area. Need to go there some time.

But third world gets so much more symapthy, and I wanted people to feel sorry for me [Wink]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I made truffles
They are purely unhealthy
Cream
Butter
tons of chocolate

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
"I LOVE chocolate, but i can't eat it because it'll make me FAT. But it's SOOOO good."
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm already fat, so what's the harm? [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm...truffles.

My 7 year old informed me that for Christmas, he longer wants bars of chocolate, but boxes of Belgian chocolates.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, it's an outmoded concept in a way, though I like the term "fourth world" to refer to indigenous peoples who don't necessarily exist within national boundaries.
'Fourth world' isn't a term that has universal acceptance. I've heard your definition but I've also heard it used to describe a state that is regressing past the third-world. A prime example would be many of the sub-saharan countries like Sierra Leone that are self-destructing and where the government has virtually no power.

And in order not to derail this thread too far, I keep going to websites that sell chocolate from some of these companies and drooling. I really want to try the Xocolatl, but I'm resisting (for now).

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Xocolatl? Please tell me more. Or did I miss it somewhere?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Noemon mentioned it in the chocolate thievin' mouse thread. I believe it's by Dagoba and has chili peppers in it. I absolutely adore Mexican style chocolate with a hint of chilis and cinnamon, so it sounds like something I would love.

I actually made real fudge last week (first time ever - no marshmallow or microwave allowed) and threw in a bit of cinnamon and red pepper. The recipe was way too sweet, unfortunately, but I liked my additions. [Big Grin]

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama actually has access to some very intriguing chocolates. She brought quite a few to KamaCon, many of which we found absolutely scrumptious.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Ah, right. The one I'm saving for the very end cuz it's the one I'm most looking forward to.

I'm salivating just thinking about it.

Yay, Eljay! [Kiss]

Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
Kama actually has access to some very intriguing chocolates. She brought quite a few to KamaCon, many of which we found absolutely scrumptious.
Yeah, but they're all relics of the communist era [Razz]

If someone wants some, I'm willing to take orders. But I first need to figure out how long it takes for a package to get to the US. I sent one to Noah some weeks ago, and apparently it was not by airmail, cause he didn't get it yet (unless he did, and didn't let me know).

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If someone wants some, I'm willing to take orders.
I'm quite seriously thinking about it. I'll e-mail you.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Sure [Smile]
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Got any plan pure dark chocolate? (at least between 50-65%)
I'm such a purist when it comes to chocolate.
Baritones = dark chocolate.
adding too must stuff besides more chocolate to dark chocolate is like making an opera baritone sing with pop stars like adding fruit, nuts or MICE! [Angst]

These truffles look really disgusting but they taste so DECADENT

[ November 08, 2004, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I've been neglectful. I haven't kept up on reporting the flavor experiences dearest one and I have had courtesy of Eljay. I haven't done it intentionally. . . I was so tired from waking up at 4:30 every morning during Ramadan, and it took me a while to recover from the major sleep deprivation . . .

quote:
Lake Champlain Chocolates, Raspberry Truffle filled Dark Chocolate. Pure Belgian Chocolate, made in Vermont, all natural.

Dagoba Organic chocolate, Mon Cheri, forest grown organic dark chocolate infused with sun dried berries and pure vanilla. (Chocolate is sacred. There is an art to the alchemy of flavor infusion, an art we explore with mystery and integrity.) "You can deprive the body, but the soul needs chocolate."

Daboga Organic Chocolate, Latte, forest grown organic milk chocolate infused with espresso and a hint of cinnamon.

Dagoba Organic Chocolate, New Moon, forest grown organic dark chocolate.

Dagoba Organic Chocolate, Lavendar, forest grown organic dark chocolate infused with lavendar essence and wild blueberries.

De Bas Chocolatier, Chocolate Peaches.

Valrhona, Les Grands Crus de Chocolat Valrhona, Jivara Lait, Noix de Pecan. Milk chocolate with split pecans.

And the one I've been hoping for the most. . .

Vosges Haut Chocolat, exotic candy bar. Red Fire Bar. Mexican ancho y chipotle. Chili peppers, Ceylon (hey folks, that's where I am! This chocolate bar has really come full circle!) cinnamon, and dark chocolate.

The peaches were seriously good. Seriously. We enjoyed them to the very end.

Should I mention that we ration things? A little bit here, a little bit there, savoring every last bite. Make the enjoyable stuff oh so much longer.

Okay, to continue.

MOn Cheri. Yummy. Wonderful. With tiny chunks of dried cherries. Wonderful.

Latte. I didn't have any - coffee and LDS and all that - so my niece and Fahim shared it. Well, that's not entirely accurate. They fought over it. [No No] [Laugh]

Lavendar chocolate. Smelled like and tasted like lavendar. Which as should be expected given the name. [Big Grin] I've never had anything lavendar flavored before, so it was a bit unusual. Yet, I still enjoyed it. Also good.

And the rest?

We haven't opened them yet. You know, the whole savoring thing. Well, that and the whole Fahim rationing thing. Honestly, I would have been content to finish it all off in a matter of days, but Fahim . . . is somewhat more civilized than I am. [ROFL] We'll attack the next one soon and I'll let y'all know. [Big Grin]

And Eljay, I'm still a seriously happy camper. May you have many wonderful chocolate moments descend upon you in a cloud of ecstatic lusciousness. [ROFL]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Last night, Fahim looked over my shoulder while I was typing the post. This, of course, reminded him of the chocolate in the fridge. Yes, we keep it in the fridge. It's the only way it doesn't a. melt b. go bad or c. get eaten by the ants and other bugs.

So he's reminded of the chocolate in the fridge, so what do you think he promptly does?

Yes, that's right, folks, he goes and grabs chocolate. Pecan.
quote:

Valrhona, Les Grands Crus de Chocolat Valrhona, Jivara Lait, Noix de Pecan. Milk chocolate with split pecans.

That one.

It was nummy nummy nummy nummy. It was delectable. It was wonderful. I love it.

I think I'm definitely a die hard milk chocolate person. Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed the dark chocolate ones, too. Oh yeah! But milk chocolate in my life? Yep, dat's da bomb, baby.

Sigh. Happiness is. . . chocolate. [Kiss]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I'm glad to see you're still enjoying them.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
What is up with all the references to chocolate pecans recently?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Chocolate Pecans = sharing the love. [Kiss]
Raia
Member # 4700

Mmm... can I have one? [Kiss]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Raia, of course you can have one! I even share my chocolate!

But Alas and Alack! the only one that's left is the
quote:

Vosges Haut Chocolat, exotic candy bar. Red Fire Bar. Mexican ancho y chipotle. Chili peppers, Ceylon (hey folks, that's where I am! This chocolate bar has really come full circle!) cinnamon, and dark chocolate.

So you'd better hurry!

We started into it last night. Cinnamon is definitely there, and yep, it enhances chocolate flavor very well. I've known this for quite a while - I add cinnamon to my brownies and people fawn all over them, making exclamations of chocolate goodness. So yeah, that's a no-brainer. The chile in it was good, too.

But as much as it was called the Red Fire Bar, it wasn't hot. For us.

See, Fahim, being Sri Lankan, is naturally immune to spiciness. Whereas I, being a freak of nature, am almost immune to spiciness. For us to feel the heat, we really have to pile on the chiles and pepper and chili powder and red pepper flakes and . . . whatever else we can find to spice things up.

So, I'm just saying. Nothing is spicy/hot to either of us.

Which, unfortunately, means that the chocolate wasn't either.

But that did not detract in any way from us enjoying it. Oh yeah, baby, it was good! If you haven't tried this kind of chocolate before, you've really got to check it out. It's totally cool.

My favorites? I think the chocolate peaches tie with the chocolate chile. For Fahim? The chocolate peaches.

Eljay, I worship your innate chocolatey goodness. You are a chocolate dream. Mmmm. Thank you thank you thank you. [Kiss]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel all squishy inside. It must be my innate chocolatey goodness. [Wink]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a store that still sells Konnyaku jellies. At least they did a couple of weeks ago when I was there...

I am apparently supposed to turn them in to the FDA.

Since I have read why it was banned, and it's just because it's too firm for children and old people, and I like it, I'm not going to report them. People should be able to be smart enough not to eat things that are firm and small if they can't handle them and not to give them to their kids.

Does that make me a bad person?

But I'm not going to tell anyone else what store it is, because I don't want the FDA to find out if they're spying here...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Ketchup, I'm with you. I wouldn't bother reporting them, either. If people are too dumb to feed small candies to their children knowing full well that they could choke . . . well, whatever! [Laugh]

Okay, now I'm just pathetic. [Angst]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. I like the way you think. [Wink] Maybe when I'm out in CA I'll stop by Bristol Farms and see if I can't find you some excellent chocolate. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

What kind???
Email me!!!!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, I did...
Raia
Member # 4700

Mmm... thanks, quid! [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, it wasn't just kids. It was adults too. (Although I think only kids have died from them.) And the problem with the jellies is not so much that people choked; it's that the usual methods of removing a choking-item from the windpipe DON'T WORK with these. As well as the fact that the bullet shape made it all-too-easy for these to get lodged in the throat.

People died from choking on them. People who were treated by professionals trained to aid choking victims.

There are newer versions of these candies with a harder-to-choke-on shape. Refusing to report the old ones (which, did I mention, have KILLED PEOPLE), is, IMO, reprehensible.

Court case
Another link

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Okay. Um. Consider me, uhm, humbled? Repentive? Sad? Miserable? Feeling like a horses ugly end?

I think I'll just go hide under a rock now. [Wall Bash]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

ketchupqueen, you - and anyone else who wants in on this [Big Grin] - can send me chocolate any time they want! I'll let ya and everything!

Raia, I'll share with you. I promise I will. Come on over and you can have some of mine. [Wink]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

They really, really shouldn't give those to children or old people...
Nor, should they be eaten fast like my friend would do before they were banned.
Also I WINCE in horror when people give their kids gum or lollypops for some reason.
I'm talking 2 year olds >.<

[ December 10, 2004, 02:59 AM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Sorry, quidscribis. My last post was over the top -- I apologize. [Embarrassed]

I know people whose kids have choked on those candies (none who died, thank God). They were frequently sold individually at little markets around here, and the warnings were not on the individual containers -- which look like little jello cups. Who thinks a little jello cup could hurt their kid?

These candies are one of the times I've ended up being very glad that something wasn't kosher.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

The same heartshaped ones?
The ones I got ages ago included a warning in bad english to be careful with them, to cut them up into little pieces before feeding them to your child...
Nevertheless, i really want some, I miss them. Konnyaku is extremely healthy. It has no sugar, no fat and I think it has some other interesting properties.
But it should never, ever be feed to little kids. It is not jello after all...

rivka
Member # 4859

If I have been informed correctly, the heart-shaped ones are safer -- less likely to get lodged in someone's throat. It's the bullet-shaped ones that are dangerous, I think.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

The heartshaped ones are the ones I like the best....
I really, really want some...
If I ever go to Japan I'll buy a 100 packages of them...

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Rivka, don't worry about it. I just had no idea about any of that stuff you said. I mean, until this thread, I'd never even heard of the things. So, you know, uh, no worries, eh? [Kiss]
Raia
Member # 4700

Quid, I would LOVE to come visit you!! Seriously, to go to Sri Lanka? I would love that! I wish I had money to do so...

You should come visit me here!!! It's not scary, I promise!

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Raia, considering I live in a country that has an uncertain cease fire situation? Heck, I know what you mean, believe me! Everyone in North America hears way more about violence - when it happens - than I do. Oh, except when all those churches were burned or otherwise vandalized last December because of the dead Buddhist monk who was allegedly murdered by Christians from Russia associated with the Russian mafia. Sigh. Yeah, it's perfectly safe here, too! Come visit! You'll laugh at all the cows wandering around, and all the vehicles who dodge them in traffic!

Hmm. A Hatrack exchange. We could do this. [Big Grin]

Raia
Member # 4700

You're getting me excited!!

Hehe... seriously, we need to visit each other... or maybe we could meet somewhere in between. I don't know exactly where Sri Lanka is, but we could meet in a country in between there and Israel! We'd have to make sure it's a country that I can get into with an Israeli passport, though...

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Sri Lanka's off the south eastern tip of India.

My hubby's sister is in Dubai, and we've talked about going there. Don't know when, but . . .

Hmm. Iraq? That's in between, right? [Big Grin]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

By the way, for the heart-shaped konnyaku, I'd bribe a person with CDs...
Good ones...

Raia
Member # 4700

Iraq, yeah, good idea... especially with an Israeli passport! [Razz]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, I thought it was a good idea, too! [ROFL]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

rivka, it's not just the old ones that are banned, though. And I don't really know which kind these are, but they're clearly labeled as a choking hazard (at least they were last time I got them).
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.