FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Funny Band Names (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Funny Band Names
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
As you all know, today bands get funny names. No more the simple "Beatles", "Queen', "A-Ha", "Metallica" and similar ones. Today you get more sophisticated (or simply longer and harder to say) names. For instance, Evanescence - what's the name for?

Now come the good names. Post as many funny ones as you can:

1) If Pigs Could Fly (Talk?) Would You Still Eat Them?

Note: I'm Jewish.

2) HIV and the Positives

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Real names or ones we come up with?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard a nice name for a yacht that was obviously bought with illegal money, it was called FishKiss.
Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I always like the NoFX spinoff/cover-parody group Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
In the '60s, there was a band called "Strawberry Alarm Clock". Beat that, you modern indie whiners! [Laugh]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but a song xisted in the 60s: "Yackety yack, blah blah blah blah; yackety yack, blah blah blah blah. That's all I hear from you: Yackety yack, blah blah blah blah..."

Band, name of song?

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always had a special place in my heart for the name "The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band."

*goes off humming "Urban Spaceman"*

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a band briefly called "Sprouting Athena." That was funny.

There was a band here in Minnesota for a long time called the Wet Spots. Sick and wrong, but funny.

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
In my high school, I seem to remember there briefly existed a band called the Breast Strokers. They tried to get around the disapproval of the administration by claiming it was a swimming reference, but it didn't work.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
The The.

Toad the Wet Sproket.

William Hung.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Donna the Buffalo
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
A group from my town as the Rainbow Butt Monkeys before they changed their name to Finger 11.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked Skabba the Hutt and Mephiskapholes. Though Nerf Herder is a good one, too.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Evanescence is the ability to evanesce (disappear, fade, vanish...)

My Dad used to be in a band called "Mixed Nuts".

Recently some friends of mine decided to start a band. After their first practice they considered calling it "Hopeless".

I also think "Barenaked Ladies" is a funny name for a band. Especially considering they are four fully clothed men.

[ November 11, 2004, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
kinda like Violent Femmes - not women and not particularly violent....
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
In high school, I had a friend who really wanted to start a band called Kick Axe. He was heartbroken when we were looking in the $1 bin at a store and found the tape of band already called that.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
A roommate of mine once went to a concert by a local band that called themselves the Scrotum Poles. [Eek!]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I always wanted to start an Irish music band called "Drunker Than You," so we could come out on stage and say, "Good evening, we're Drunker Than You."
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a band here in the late 80's called Schnell Fenster (German for Fast Window!) Real good band too.

[ November 11, 2004, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Cashew ]

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Some greats:

Tonto's Expanding Headband
The Flying Burrito Brothers
Juicy Bananas
The Dead Kennedys
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
Snake Oil Medicine Show
? and the Mysterians
The Trogs

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
A great one I heard recently is Scary Kids Scaring Kids. I haven't heard their music yet but I need to listen to them just based on that name.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keepsmilin
Member # 6607

- posted      Profile for keepsmilin   Email keepsmilin         Edit/Delete Post 
well i like the band "no use for a name"
i think the name "death cab for cutie" is a pretty entertaining band name too, although they're great.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Lee Wombat
Member # 7021

- posted      Profile for Johnny Lee Wombat   Email Johnny Lee Wombat         Edit/Delete Post 
Best band name ever is 'MC 900 foot Jesus'.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Fully Clothed Men [ROFL]
Dirty Sweat Socks
Hairy Palms
Bad Toupe

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Lost Ashes!!
You know Snake Oil??

Another band name: The Butthole Surfers. Cute one.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I like "HaDag Nachash," which translates to "The Fish Snake," or "The Fish is a Snake." I never understood that one... [Confused]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this thread and thought:

"____________________ would be a good name for a rock band." --Dave Barry

--j_k

[ November 11, 2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

"HaDag Nachash" should actually be "Dag HaNachash", according to proper Hebrew; not that anyone cares these days. The translation would be: The Serpent's Fish. But I never liked rap. It has a silent "c"...

Jonny

Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked "Better Than Better Than Ezra"

And, since I'm a programmer, I've got to pimp my Hillbilly Band Name Generator

See also
Blues Singer Name Generator and Rapper Name Generator

Edit: and a Pirate Name Generator that was listed on a napkin (don't know the restaurant - a friend gave it to me)

[ November 11, 2004, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Brian_Berlin ]

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
ACDC
Goo Goo Dolls
Flogging Molly
Fat Boy Slim
The Ataris
and my favorite:
Reel Big Fish

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I don't like rap either.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
>[ a ]
>Albino Toilet Boys
>Alcoholocaust
>Alcoholics Unanimous
>Apocalypse Hoboken
>Armageddon Dildos
>
>[ b ]
>Biff Hitler and the Violent Mood Swings
>The Band Formerly Known As Sausage
>Band Over
>Band That Shot Liberty Valence
>Barbara's Bush
>Bobby Joe Ebola and the Children MacNuggits
>The Bourbon Tabernacle Choir
>The Boxing Ghandis
>Brady Bunch Lawnmower Massacre
>Breakfast in Beruit
>Bulimia Banquet
>Buster Hymen & the Penetrators
>
>[ c ]
>Caltransvestites
>Cap'n Crunch and the Cereal Killers
>Carnage Asada
>Cindy Brady's Lisp
>Cortizone 5
>Cottage Cheese from the Lips of Death
>
>[ d ]
>The Dancing French Liberals of 1848
>The Dead Sea Squirrels
>The Dead Kennedys
>The Dick Clarks
>The Dick Nixons
>Dicky Retardo
>Drunks With Guns
>
>[ e ]
>e. coli
>Edith Head
>Electric Prostates
>Elvis Hitler
>Ethyl Merman
>
>[ f ]
>Fearless Iranians From Hell
>Fields of Shit
>'57 Lesbian
>The 4-Skins
>Four Nurses of the Apocalypse
>The French are from Hell
>Fromage d'Amour
>
>[ g ]
>Gefilte Joe and the Fish
>Gonoreagan
>
>[ h ]
>Headless Marines
>Hell Camino
>Herpes Cineplex
>Hindu Garage Sale
>Hitler's Bikini
>HIV and the Positives
>Honest Bob and the Factory to Dealer Incentives
>Hornets Attack Victor Mature
>
>[ i ]
>Impaled Nazarenes
>Inhale Mary
>
>[ j ]
>Janitors Against Apartheid
>Jehovah's Waitresses
>Jehovah's Wetness
>Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
>Jesus Christ Super Fly
>Jesus Chrysler Supercar
>Jesus Manson and the Starvation Army
>JFKFC
>Jonestown Punch
>
>[ k ]
>Kathleen Turner Overdrive
>Kerrigan's Knees
>
>[ l ]
>Lack of Afro
>Lawn Piranhas
>The Leave It To Beaver Conehead Immolation
>Lee Harvey Keitel
>Lesbian Ninjas
>Louder Than God
>
>[ m ]
>Mao Tse Helen
>Mary Kay and the Cosmetics
>Max Roach and the Holders
>Minnie Pearl's Jam
>Mr. Happy and the Genocides
>Mussolini Headkick
>My Dog Has Hitler's Brain
>
>[ n ]
>Nate Nocturnal and the Nightly Emissions
>Nervous Christians and the Lions
>Norman Bates and the Shower Heads
>Not Drowning, Waving
>
>[ p ]
>Pabst Smear
>Pearl Harbor and the Explosions
>Penis DeMilo
>Pepto Dismal
>Phenobarbidols
>Phlegm Fatale
>Poultry in Motion
>Pretentious Flamedogs
>The Pro-Midget Mafia
>Psychic Buddhist Gorillas
>Psycho Sluts from Hell
>Pungent Frustration
>Purple Headed Love Warriors
>
>[ r ]
>Raging Pimps of Doom
>Rectal Nightmare
>Reluctant Stereotypes
>Reserectum
>Results of Inbreeding
>Retarted Elf
>Roid Rogers and the Whirling Butt Cherries
>
>[ q ]
>Quasimodo and the Eunuchs
>
>[ s ]
>Sandy Duncan's Eye
>Screaming Headless Torsos
>Screaming Iguanas of Love
>Screaming Moist Accountants
>Septic Death
>Seven Year Bitch
>The Shamu Afterbirth Orchestra
>Shirley Temple of Doom
>Shirley Temple Pilots
>Simulated Orgasms [Simulerte Orgasmer]
>Skeptic Tank
>Smegma & the Nuns
>Smorgasborgnine
>Solosex
>The Sound of Munich
>Spastic Colon
>The Sphinctones
>Stiff Richards
>Stukas Over Bedrock
>Swingin' Johnsons
>
>[ t ]
>Ted Bundy's Volkswagen
>The Telephony Bandits of Doom
>Temporary Darkening of the Stool
>Testostertones
>The Texas Nazis
>Thank God We're Immortal
>They Tried To Frame OJ
>To Live and Shave in LA
>Toxic Shock and the Tampons
>Tracy & the Hindenburg Ground Crew
>Tragic Mulatto
>Transsexual Hitler
>Trotsky Icepick
>
>[ u ]
>Uncle Dickie's Shameless Quickies
>Unstoppable Kamikaze Iditos
>
>[ v ]
>Vaginal Davis
>The Velcro Pygmies
>Vic Morrow's Head
>
>[ w ]
>The Well Hungarians
>Willie Nelson Mandela
>
>[ y ]
>Yoko Homo
>
>[ z ]
>Zip Code Rapists
>Zombies Under Stress
>Zulu Leprechauns

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
And the name of my band, if I ever have one:

The Bury 'em Enigmas

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

One of my very good friends has a band called "ADD."
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
There's the semi-instrumentalist surf-rock concept band called "Man, or Astro-man?"

There's a pretty funny "back story" behind the name. Good music too.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
There's always:

Captain Beefheart
Mojo Nixon (solo artist there)

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

My son;s band, with his best friend(they are 8) is: The Lame Excuses.
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
I always loved the name of this actual band: Buck Naked and the Bare Bottom Boys
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My roomate's brother is in a band that was formerly known as Therapist Off. Now, they're the Rodents Of Unusual Size.

I have a friend named Scott Frisby, and I kept trying to get him to name his backup band The Rats of NIMH. Actually, I think I'm so good at this, I'm going to go into band name consulting. My own personal creations:

Bobo and the Bourgeoisie
Phospholipid Bilayer
Elysian Sandbox
Schrödinger's Catapult

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

My list above is real band names. Some of them you'll recognise. Some of them I've looked up. I haven't looked up all of them, but I haven't found one yet that isn't real.
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
How could we have forgotten Squirrel Nut Zippers?
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, "The Beatles" is actually a funny name.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought so too.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's "clever", not "funny".
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
A name I find funny: The Hot Club of Cow Town.

Oh, and the Austin Lounge Lizards.

[ November 12, 2004, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
NERD
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but a song xisted in the 60s: "Yackety yack, blah blah blah blah; yackety yack, blah blah blah blah. That's all I hear from you: Yackety yack, blah blah blah blah..."
You mean Yakety Yak, Don't Talk Back by the The Coasters? Jonathan?

FG

edit: and P.S., that was the 50's, not the 60's, for that group. Yakety Yak was #1 in 1958

[ November 12, 2004, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that a woodwind quortet(or quintet, I don't remember) called themselves "Morning Wood"

Another band name, more for a Jazz Band, could be "Randy Daniels and the Brass Erection"

p.s. I didn't think of that, my friend did

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought Ghost of the Robot was a funny name for a band.

They recently broke up though [Frown]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Buckaroo Bonzai and the Hong Kong Cavaliers
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.