FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I finally did it! - A bittorrent thread

Author Topic: I finally did it! - A bittorrent thread
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I started a bittorent thread a week or so ago, and since then I have been having problems with it. I got the concept of how it works pretty easily, but I am pretty much self-taught in regards to computers so every time I thought I understood something I found out there were 4 other concepts I had never heard of before.

I got how to download, but I tried using Azureus, which was highly recommended, but it crashed my computer and I had to go back to a system restore point to uninstall it completely....even the uninstall within the program wouldn't;t remove it.

No matter what I did I couldn't figure how to get a green light on the downloads. I tried reconfiguring my firewall, over and over again...I tried finding out how to port forward, but none of the many (over 8) FAQ sites I read and re-read told me exactly how to do it.

Turns out that even though I only have one computer, and it is hooked up to straight DSL not wireless, somehow my DSL modem acts as a router...or at least that is how I treated it.

I reset my modem because I couldn't access it, and the default passwords didn't work. I had a few scary moments trying to reset my connection....I had to remember passwords I didn't even know I had from Verizon... [Big Grin] ...but it is done.

I have a green light on a download for the very first time since I started this stuff.

I would like to thank Suneun most of all, for getting me started on all of this, and helping me out at first. Also, several others had suggestions too, and I think you as well.

I have learned more about computers this last week or two than I knew before it all together.

Has anyone else had these type of problems, or am I even more stupid than I thought about these things?

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! [The Wave]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like your bittorent was a bit of a torment...
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Not really, but my ignornce of computers was... [Big Grin]

Now I was explaining all this stuff to my best friend in FL who was always the one with the killer computer and a ton of knowledge, asn I had to walk him through a lot of it! How funny is that?

When I was trying to figure this out I went to some forums and tried to talk about it and most of the people at these places didn't even know what I was talking about.

You see, I read pretty fast, so I had read all the guides so that I would know what to be asking for, but most of them had yellow lights...meaning they were having the same problem I was having, but weren't bright enough to realize it, probably because they never read the guides all the way through.

My friend Kevin is going to start this stuff today and tell me what he thinks of it....but he is screwed. He can't get DSL or a cable modem where he lives, so he is still on AOL for some reason... [Dont Know]

And I am the one with a really good computer and DSL, telling him how to configure his new program.

I find that really funny.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Wow.

Bittorrent is actually a pretty fast way to download things, once you have it configured right... [Big Grin]

dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
excellent stuff. Glad it's been working out for you.

I actually left a torrent running (out of town right now). We'll see if it's still going when I get back.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, thanks for all the help again...I really had a tough time figuring it all out, being self-taught, but the up side is that I know a lot more about WHY it works that way, more so than some of the people I was asking for help from.

My friend in FL just e-mailed me and thanked me for walking him through it. He has just started using it, but he seems to like it a lot too.

Night!

Kwea

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure you already know this... but don't download anything copyrighted, like movies. MPAA is watching you!! (Because you're uploading at the same time, they will consider you a supplier and they hate that even more than downloading.)

It's an awesome tool for other things, though. [Smile]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It's almost impossible to track that stuff, as you aren't logged on to a site that is providing access.

I don't have any movies, or anything to worry about yet, because I don't want to have to download all that stuff that you need to actually watch it all.

I would need at least 2 or 3 programs that I don't know anything about to watch each type of program. I don't want that stuff bad enought to try that yet, and I doubt I would. If I really wanted to copy stuff like movies, I would just rent them and do it.....no way to trace it that way, and not that expensive.

Thanks, though... [Big Grin]

Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually by design, Bittorrent is very public.

For example, suprnova (one of the main trackers) has all the IPs listed of those connected for a torrent. The tracker is required to know the IPs of the connected computers because it has to tell your computer who else to connect to.

The one upside is that you're likely to only be sharing one file at a time. And stay away from public trackers like suprnova.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's not private at ALL and, believe me, they can and DO track you. Sometimes, the MPAA will actually offer their own movie just to catch people uploading and downloading it. Do a google search on it and you'll find plenty of people talking on forums who got warning letters about downloading movies using bittorent. And next week, the MPAA (according to their own press release) is going to start suing individual people.

With netflix and movie passes from Blockbuster now, it's just not worth it. That's cool that you're not doing it, I just figure that anybody else thinking about it who is reading this thread ought to know the dangers. [Smile]

-Katarain

[ November 13, 2004, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Katarain ]

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I know about the IP addresses being shown, but my point is that if you only do it with people you know or on small trackers the chances are very small of being caught.

I just like being able to download shareware games fast, and to trade programs with my friend in FL.

Kwea

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.