FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Johnny and the Chocolate Factory (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Johnny and the Chocolate Factory
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think it was possible to be weirder than the first movie.

Clearly, I was wrong.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like that trailer. Don't get me wrong, the movie looks... very interesting.... hmm... but the trailer is just not cut together very well. It's like they said "This movie is pretty imaginative and interesting, but that's not what we want to show. See if you can make it wacky!"
Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
He's wearing a pageboy.

What an interesting movie...

I love Johnny Depp, but he is NOT sexy in this. He looks like Adrian from Moulin Rouge - fabulous and Wonkian, but not sexy.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it seemed pretty obvious to me. He's channeling Tom Petty from the "Don't Come Around Here No More" video...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He's channeling Tom Petty from the "Don't Come Around Here No More" video...
*jaw drops

From my mind to your lips, Chris Bridges.

quote:
I thought Gene Wilder was too--I don't know. There was something very innocent about Willy Wonka in the book, and Gene Wilder was way too knowing and creepy. I thought.
Me too, Fyfe. Exactly.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't think that smile on Depp's face is creepy? *shudder*
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Positively androgynous.

I dunno, maybe this will be okay.

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Dag, I find Depp in this creepy, too. That's why I chopped off the end of the quote (Jen posted before the trailer).

Oh, yeah, fingers up the spine creepy. *shudder

But I was always troubled by what was off about CCF for me, and she nailed it.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
"Don't come around here no more!" [ROFL]
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized, this Wonka looks a lot like Michael Jackson!
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ December 10, 2004, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that he bears an unpleasant resemblance to Michael Jackson.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Please tell me you didn't miss that play on names nfl...
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love Johnny Depp, but he is NOT sexy in this. He looks like Adrian from Moulin Rouge - fabulous and Wonkian, but not sexy.
Which one's Adrian, again? You don't mean Ewan, do you (he's Christian, right?), because Ewan is most definitely sexy in that film and all his others as well!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
This is completely off topic, but does anyone else remember the bit in the book where Charlie walks past the factory everyday and smells the chocolate in the air?

I always wanted to live near a chocolate factory so that I could breath chocolate everyday like that. Now, through a weird and completely accidental coincidence I actually do live just down the road from one, and it's totally not true. Most of the time the air smells of damp burnt toast. [Grumble]

Strange but true.

On topic -
I love Johnny Depp so much, but I agree that he is looking rather disturbing in this. You gotta admit, the guy’s not afraid to look weird.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the first movie. I'll keep an open mind about the new one, since I like Johnny Depp... but I'm not much of a Tim Burton fan, his attempts to meld weird creative stuff with commercial movies just never seem to work for me.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuluChan SueYou
Member # 7118

- posted      Profile for SuluChan SueYou   Email SuluChan SueYou         Edit/Delete Post 
The thought of Johnny Depp, Tim Burton, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory makes me want to cry inside.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be one of the first to see it, but I'm scared of the outcome.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I grew up watching the movie, long before ever reading the books. Frankly, I was terrified of the Oompa Loompas and all the creepy children but basically the rest of it I enjoyed. Because I saw the movie so many times first, the book never made a huge impression on me. I don't remember much of anything from it, to tell the truth. The second one though...I was afraid of that one too; it disturbed me.

When I saw the poster in a theater over Thanksgiving, I immediately had worries, and now, having seen the trailer, I am seriously considering not seeing it until someone tells me that it's okay and the Oompa Loompas aren't too scary.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
What's interesting is this preview is clearly intentionally made to look very weird. If you took out the audio and rearranged the same clips to Harry Potter music, you'd probably have a fairly conventional looking fantasy-movie trailor. (That's what Lemony Snicket does!) I'm wondering why they've chosen to market it as such a weird movie, because usually hollywood execs don't want to do that - it potentially decreases the audience size.

As for the similarity to Michael Jackson, that doesn't surprise me. Burton LOVES to focus on misunderstood outcasts from society. Willy Wonka is just the type - a disillusioned innocent celebrity who has locked himself away in a fantasy world of his creation, only to open the doors and let in a group of children. Who does that sound like to you?

I think it will work... the only problem is that it will have expectations it probably can't fill. It's always a dangerous proposition to remake a movie that was already made brilliantly and still works today. That very rarely works.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Yozhik:

quote:
It smells like chocolate near the Hershey factory in PA.
I'm going there tonight! Christmas Candy Lane! Woo-hoo!
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Weirdest...

teaser...

EVER.

Take your pick,

Also found here.

[ December 20, 2004, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Book. VERY odd.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.