FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » computer network question - mac, pc

Author Topic: computer network question - mac, pc
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
our network administrator is looking for software to allow a PC to see Mac volumes/drives. Some of our servers are Mac and some are PC. The Macs can see the PCs, but not vice versa. Any network people out there who know what I'm talking about? (cause I sure don't)
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats odd... I run a network at home and the Pc's and see the macs fine. You just have to turn on windows file sharing in the mac sharing preference pane.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, pretty much what he said. Also, macs have built in web servers, and ones running OS X have built in ftp servers as well, so its always possible to work with that.

Generally speaking, though, I'm suspicious of a network that has to be set up so everything sees everything. It strikes me as ill-planned.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you're using Mac OS X Server - in which case you need to turn on "Windows Services" in the "Server Admin" application.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you also needed to enable Windows sharing in the non-server version of OS X as well. That's generally how I've done it.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, people. I think that was the reminder the IT guy needed, or at least pointed him in the right direction. [Wink]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.