FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Another Poem Of Mine.

Author Topic: Another Poem Of Mine.
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for the advice given to me earlier. As such, I have written a poem dedicated to being concrete as opposed to vague:

quote:

Night smothers all in its black,
Except for a few patches
that the lamps guard.

I sit underneath one,
On a bench of hard wood,
And my breath forms into mist,
With the cruel breeze.

My hands are freezing,
Turning into chunks of ice,
But I do not care much,
For I am colder yet inside,
Then my hands could ever be.

[ November 11, 2004, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Phanto ]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WishfulWiggin
Member # 6823

- posted      Profile for WishfulWiggin   Email WishfulWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Very good (not that I have the experiance/knowledge to critique). I especially like the end.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Concrete, maybe, but you haven't quite grasped "cheery" yet... [Wink]

Just kidding. Very nice. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a definite improvement, but I found myself catching on one of your stylistic choices whenever I read it. Do you mean to so strongly anthromorphize everything in the poem except yourself? (Note, BTW, that this would not be a bad thing, but that I couldn't tell whether it was deliberate.)
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

I did ^^.

Any other thoughts?

*wants to become a good poet*

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Then go to the everypoet site I linked in the other thread. It will help, I promise.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I find it hard to picture any kind of light except in the first section. You could use light more powerfully, IMO, maybe contrasting its lightness with its lack of warmth.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Thank you so much Dagonee. [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and this is much improved over the last. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.