FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Terrible Event (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Terrible Event
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Leave it, we'll use it as an instructive case study for future generations. [Wink]
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, it will go well with my immoral pro-sexual freedom rant in the other thread. Look kids! Have premarital sex and you won't be able to spell! Since they're both concerned with future generations and all that.

[ November 16, 2004, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also don't think you can say we were enforcing UN edicts when the UN specifically told us they didn't want us to invade but wanted to continue inspections.
The UN did NOT tell us it didn't want us to invade. Countries in the UN told us they didn't want us to invade. People who worked for the UN told us they didn't want us to invade. The UN did not.

The UN acts in a body (two bodies, actually - the general assembly and the security council). For sure, the security council did not tell "us they didn't want us to invade." At least at the time of the invasion, the General Assembly had not yet "told us they didn't want us to invade."

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, they didn't ask us to go in there either.

[ November 16, 2004, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Fair enough. How about "I also don't think you can say we were enforcing UN edicts when we did not have a UN mandate to do so?" I'll leave out the wanting to continue inspections part, since while I believe it to be true I don't have time to find a reference. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

That's fair. I disagree with your conclusion, but it's fair. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I don't think I stated a conclusion, did I? My question is how Belle feels about the war in Iraq given her stated beliefs about when killing is appropriate.

Obviously, everyone knows I'm on the liberal side of the forum, and if they didn't my wording of my question would give it away. But my personal primary objection to the war is that I believe force should be used in self- or family- defense, not pre-emptively. Belle's stated position seems very similar to the type of situation where I would feel the use of violence is called for. So maybe she has a position on the war that I could relate to better than most. *shrug* Looking for enlightenment. [Smile]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

You're conclusion that we weren't enforcing UN edicts - I thought that was pretty clear.

Dagonee

ElJay
Member # 6358

Ah, okay.

Then a question for you: How is our enforcing UN edicts without a UN mandate or request different from vigilante justice?

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw the video on CNN-- the soldiers did not seem to be behaving in a way that would lead me (civilian, barely been in a fist-fight ever) to believe that they believed there was a threat to them.

Their attitude seemed entirely too casual.

I admit that I know little of the attitude appropriate for war.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

There have been several legal analyses that suggest we did have a mandate deriving out of several UN resolutions.

Dagonee

ElJay
Member # 6358

Are there also legal analyses that suggest we did not? That you've come across, of course.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Of course there are. That's why it's an issue reasonable people can disagree on.

Dagonee

ElJay
Member # 6358

[Kiss] This is why some people don't like arguing with you. But I think it's fun. [Smile] Back to work now!

[ November 16, 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
If Al Qaeda blows up the Pentagon and then claims it was enforcing U.N. edicts against human rights abuses Al Qaeda alleges the U.S. has done, does that make it so, even if the U.N. never found Americans guilty of human rights abuses and never said blowing up foreign military bases are an appropriate response to human rights abuses?
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'd say not. If you linked a detailed legal analysis saying otherwise with reference to specific authority including treaties, international case law, and UN resolutions, as I have done at least 3 times in the last year with respect to the legality of the invasion, I might change my mind.

But for some reason a one sentence comparison ignoring the distinguishing characteristics between the two situations doesn't get past my BS threshold.

Dagonee

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.