FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *disgust* (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: *disgust*
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2004-11-15-hardees_x.htm

quote:
As many fast-food chains are catering to the health-conscious, Hardee's is introducing the biggest and thickest of its Thickburgers — one with enough calories to make Ronald McDonald blush.
quote:
Even a news release touted the Monster — at 1,420 calories and 107 grams of fat — as "a monument to decadence." Add fries and a soda and a single meal would involve more calories and fat than most people should get in a day.
quote:
Sales for the 2,067-restaurant chain have risen steadily since the introduction of the Thickburger family. Same-store sales are up 7.8% this year.
quote:
The government's Center for Nutritional Policy and Promotion recommends a daily caloric intake ranging from 1,600 calories for sedentary women and older adults to 2,800 calories for teenage boys and active adults.
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Angst]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm.....decadence.

*drools*

Man, I wish we had Hardees out here.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I know they are techically the same chain but I like Carl's Jr. better.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I declined on the Hardee's experience on my trip home, although I did get a good laugh out of the name 'thickburger'.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
one with enough calories to make Ronald McDonald blush
Isn't Ronald McDonald a clown? Doesn't he wear those red things on his cheeks anyways? How could tell if he blushed? [Blushing]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe clowns don't blush in the same places humans do.

And... Hardee's is the same thing as Carls Jr.? So is the Thickburger the same thing as the $6 Burger?

[ November 16, 2004, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Hardee's burgers just aren't all that great. I've come to the decision that fast food burgers are just kind of . . . blah, anyway.

And Popeye's decimates Hardee's fried chicken nine ways to Sunday. The only reason Hardee's exists is because they make a perfect chicken biscuit.

I do mean perfect.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Carl's Jr is definitely better than Hardee's although I'm not sure why. Too bad I had to end my relationship with Carl when he started hanging out with girls on bucking broncos and Playboy bunnies.

I miss his Western Bacon Cheeseburgers. [Frown]

[ November 16, 2004, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Hats off to Hardees! When you compare fast food burgers, Hardees has definitely become the king since it came out with these thick burgers. I mean, for once a fast food place serves actual real burgers - or as close as we can expect them to come.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe clowns don't blush in the same places humans do.
[ROFL]
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... I don't think that kaioshin intended everyone one to go "yummy"...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

kaioshin needs to go to Hardees!
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the best parts of Hatrack is that people don't necessarily react the way you intend.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
kaioshin needs to go to Hardees!
I'll make a note to invite kaioshin for us both NOT to go to Hardees.(Where do you want to go, kaioshin?)
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

I'm vegetarian [Razz]
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

I'm sure you could get it without the patties and bacon if you asked.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I started salivating as I read that description.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

two 1/3-pound slabs of Angus beef, four strips of bacon, three slices of cheese and mayonnaise on a buttered sesame seed bun

Three slices of cheese and mayonnaise on a buttered sesame bun sounds delicious. [Embarrassed]

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
We don't havea Hardee's here! [Cry] I must go to Carls Junior today!
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Hardee's chicken biscuits cannot compare to Chick-Fil-A's. Sorry.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Hardees has excellent curly fries. And for fast-food, their cheap cheeseburgers are pretty good.

*is very cheap when it comes to fast food*

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheap fast food is the only way to go. Once you realize you're spending 15-20 bucks on fast food, it's time to go to Applebee's.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Whoa, does that mean I'm high class? I go to Applebee's at least once a week. Sometimes I don't order food, but I definitely go.

By the way, PSI, what are Tucson's Happy Hours like? In Prescott, there's only one happy hour a day, from 10-11pm, which means half off appetizers and drinks. My friends went to Utah, and they had no happy hour whatsoever, and then went to one in Phoenix, and it had, like, a 4 hour happy hour.

[ November 16, 2004, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Chris for saying what needed to be said. I cannot even fathom a chicken biscuit better than Chick-fil-a.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, we don't have Hardees, Carl Jr.s or Chick Filets around here.

I have to get my crap food from Checkers, Popeyes, and White Castle. mmm crave.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Of the six you just mentioned, all we have in Prescott is Carls Jr. [Frown]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Goat: Happy hour is, I think, 4-7 and 10-close or something like that. Unless it closes at ten. I can't remember. But definately 4-7. Or maybe 3-7. Or something.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I love small college towns:
Burger King (multiple)
Hardees
Arby's
Wendy's
Mcdonalds (multiple)
Shake and Steak (multiple, open 24/7 and damn are their steak burgers good)
Applebee's
White Castle (yuck)
Taco Bell
Chick Fil A
...dunno if we have a Carl Jr.

But the one thing I think we Don't have that I really wish we did: Friendly's. Now THAT is good fast food [Smile]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
The Hardee's thickburgers rule. Wow, no more Mickey D's...
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah!

Didn't any of you see Super Size Me ?

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Nah. Besides, wasn't he eating MacDonalds? We're talking about Hardee's, which I assume is completely different.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, no. For mostly-fast food, it's Culver's or nothing.

Unless I'm stuck walking, then it's the friendly neighborhood McDonald's. I don't know where there actually is a Hardee's or Burger King in the area anymore.

[Quick search showed 2 Hardee's in the entire city of Madison, and several BKs, none of which are particularly close to campus. Hmm... I can think of at least two McDonald's right here, though. Interesting.]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

Well, I'm not planning on going to Hardee's every day like that guy did with McD's!

[ November 16, 2004, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I promise you, it can't be THAT different. However, once-a-month fast food shouldn't hurt anybody, much. I'd keep it at that or below, if possible, though.
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be one on University, but they closed a year, maybe a year and a half ago. The fast food left on State is Taco Hell and Pizza Hut, unless you count Parthenon and Pizza di Roma (I don't). The McDonald's up on Capitol Square is also now closed.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, once-a-month fast food shouldn't hurt anybody, much.
Exactly. Even that monster Thickburger wouldn't hurt you if you only had one occasionally. Unless it is actually contaminated, no single food item can wreck your health. It's possible to indulge in fast food once in a while and still remain slender and healthy. It's eating it too often that hurts people.

We don't have this "Hardee's" place here, though. We have a Carl's Jr., which I rather like.

One of my goals in life is to eat at White Castle someday. The place sounds disgusting--from what I've heard there is no variety and the food is super-greasy. But there remains a certain mystique about the place that intrigues me. Curse you, Beastie Boys!

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Yeah. I heard White Castle fries only come in one size.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend Moe's! [Smile] The cheese dip is yummy. And someday when I'm rich I'm going to get the cup of fat for $9.99.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would someone eat that?

I am a fat chick...I fully admit that. But you know, I don't eat fast food that much, and when I do, I eat a McDonald's regular hamburger (yeah, that skimpy little thing) and a small order of fries - and that is more than enough.

It's like people who go to buffet restaurants and eat three or four or five heaping plates of food. I don't care if they are fat or thin, I just can't figure out where a person would put that much food at one sitting - or in one day, for that matter.

I'm not condemning anyone who can eat that much...I'm just asking, HOW?

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

quote:
I am a fat chick...I fully admit that.
[ROFL] What ever happend to littlemissattitude?
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

quote:
I'm not condemning anyone who can eat that much...I'm just asking, HOW?
Big pockets. But don't tell anybody.
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1,420 calories and 107 grams of fat
Good Lord. [Eek!]

I don't eat that many calories in a day. That's sickening. And I don't really like fast food, anyway.

(btw, the ads for this page are for calorie counters)

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's a Hardee's near me anymore, but good for them for making a real fast food burger. I'm so tired of all the fast food places going along with the Atkin's diet or whatever. Their food gets smaller with "less" fat and preservatives, which were the only things keeping it from tasting like cardboard to begin with. Btw, isn't it just common sense to not eat fast food everyday? Do people really need nutritionists and a movie to tell them that?

quote:
It's like people who go to buffet restaurants and eat three or four or five heaping plates of food. I don't care if they are fat or thin, I just can't figure out where a person would put that much food at one sitting - or in one day, for that matter.

I don't go out to eat very often, much less fast food or buffets, but if you pay X amount of money, it kind of becomes a challenge to see if you can eat more than what you paid (more so with a group of guys).
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Btw, isn't it just common sense to not eat fast food everyday? Do people really need nutritionists and a movie to tell them that?
One would hope not, but if people need to be told that coffee is hot and cleaning products are not for drinking, then I'm not really surprised by anything anymore.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was younger, my goal at a buffet was always to make sure that the restaurant lost money on me.

These days, it's just not worth it anymore.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Zevlag
Member # 3346

- posted      Profile for Ghost of Zevlag   Email Ghost of Zevlag         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't eat McD's. I love Carl's Double Bacon Western Burger.

I haven't seen a CJ's in New Zealand. I don't think they are here. The only fast food chains I've noticed are McD's and Burger King.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
What? Has no one here eaten a Fuddruckers 1 lb. Burger with cheese and bacon?

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

We don't have Fuddruckers here, but a friend of mine in high school somehow got hold of a T-shirt that said "Eat Me At Fuddruckers", and had a drawing of a hamburger. For some reason, we thought that was just the funniest thing.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Alcon, I love being in a big university town. [Wink]

Five minutes from campus:
Pitas x2
Pizza - Pizza Nova and Campus Pizza
Curry in a Hurry
Phat Cat Gyros and falafel
Shandiz (Persian)
Soeul Soul (Korean/Japanese)
Bubble Tea x2
Mikey's (Chinese-Canadian)
Harvey's (burgers)
Golden Mango (Viet)
Pho (Thai)
East Side Mario's
Assorted Chinese x2
Subway
TCBY
Jamaican Jerk
Mongolian Grill
Asian Vegetarian
Mel's (all day breakfast)
And at least two or three more that I can't remember.

Only one burger place, but their motto is "Long Live the Grill."

[ November 18, 2004, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One of my goals in life is to eat at White Castle someday.
Funny. I am smack dab in the middle of White Castle land, and one of my goals in life is never, ever to eat there.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.