FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So Snoopy fought Hitler?

Author Topic: So Snoopy fought Hitler?
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
The other night I ran out on an errand. Much to my glee, when I turned on the radio the song about Snoopy and the Red Baron was playing. I remembered the song from childhood and began to sing along...."...of the Funny Red Baron...of General Lee..." Much to my disappointment I discovered that I'm an idiot, since the song is about the "BLOODY Red Baron...of GERMANY..."

*sigh*

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes and no, the Red Baron fought in WWI, but Hitler was a corporal then.

I always had a lot of misconceptions about songs.

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
In New Zealand that song gets so much airplay at Christmas that it drives me INSANE! By the way, the war it's about is WW1 (not Hitler's war), although Hitler did fight in that one, so maybe you're right. Anyway, I hate that song.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I have absolutely no idea what song is being discussed here.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom... you haven't heard "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron" by the Royal Guardsmen?

<sings>
10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and more...
</singing>

no bells?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

It's called "Snoopy's Christmas", came out in 1966. The group was The Royal Guardsmen. It's a stupid song. It's actually kinda fun the first couple of times you hear it, but gets annoying real quick.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's better on 45, in my experience.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerryst316
Member # 5054

- posted      Profile for Jerryst316   Email Jerryst316         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a big fan of AC/DC, so it shocked me when a friend had to correct me about a song. See, I was saying "you should be out all night long" and it was actually "you shook me all night long". LOL, it was quite embarrasing so I feel your pain.
Posts: 107 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, I love that song!
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
*Loved songs when they first came out. Loves them still*
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

Lost, you probably haven't heard it 3 million times like I have. Each Christmas.
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not 3 million times yet, but it's been a favorite of mine since I was a wee tot. I know that as a kid I wore out a couple of records listening to it.

Sopwith (and that's where I get my nick from... )

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I happen to like the song - it's just funny enough to be amusing.

Right up there with "Battle of New Orleans."

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this song! And "Battle of New Orleans" is great too.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you know that "The Battle of New Orleans" had, like, 500 verses or something? The guy was a HS teacher, he just picked his favorites to sing for the record. He apparently used to write all kinds of songs to help his class remember history.

I wish I'd had him. That is so cool!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it a long standing argument over who shot down the Red Baron? I think the battle's between Australian infantry and a Canadian Pilot.

Of course, no one wants to admit the truth: that it was Snoopy.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Its widely believed by everyone but Canada that Austrailian artillery brought down the Red Baron. This is because of the believed angle that the bullet hit the Baron's body and because most would like to believe that the invincible Baron couldn't be bested in the air.

[ November 19, 2004, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally love that song...and yeah, I was taught that he was shot down by Roy Brown, with no mentioning that the Australians were even there...of course, seeing as how I am Canadian, the textbook was probably somewhat biased
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Still never heard it. I am aware, of course, of Snoopy's perennial vendetta against the Baron, but have never heard it expressed in song form. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Snoopy is only one of the many aliases of the world famous con artist Joe Cool.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
There were actually 3 Snoopy vs Red Baron songs. The first one (10 20 30 40 50 or more) the christmas one (christmas bells those christmas bells, ringing through the land) and the seldom played final one, although I can't remember exactly how it went. My family has them all on vinyl around somewhere, i transfered them to cd at some point.

Good stuff.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the tape. It's wonderful. My family used to listen to it on the way to Extended Family Christmases.

There are more songs, like "Sopwith Camel Time" and "Down Behind the Lines", as well as the Snoopy stories.

It's very nostalgic, and a wonderful historical fantasy. I used to get immersed in it as a child.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah! I knew I was't nuts - I didn't remember the Christmas theme in the original vinyl record.

I do, however, remember the "10 20 30" lyric.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.