FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do Online Relationships Work? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Do Online Relationships Work?
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Single malt scotch is smooth, just very intense.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Dean and Mikey meet on here, too? That was long enough ago I really can't remember.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Ted (Pod) and I are still going strong... it's a few months short of three years now.
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That was long enough ago I really can't remember.
*pat pat* Yeah, the memory is the second thing to go.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend Beth from college married her net sweetheart... a guy from Finland, named Olli.

They talked for a year online...then phone...and for the second year he came over once or twice. Then for the third year she went over there. She went to go live in Finland for awhile after her graduation... and the next year they moved back to Michigan and got married (I was in their wedding party *yay!*).

BUT... after two years Olli started to have an online affair with another girl from California. They got divorced a couple years ago now.. ah well...

[ November 23, 2004, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the first thing to go?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
um . . . I forget . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
How 'bout Mack and T_Smith?
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EyeOfTheTiger
Member # 7045

- posted      Profile for EyeOfTheTiger           Edit/Delete Post 
That's quite a few for a webboard. But, how many have tried here but *aren't* still together?
Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Lets see, Mack and . . . was it FlyingCow? tried it for a bit.

who else . . .

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Alcon and Raia are together?!? Missed that one...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there together now, and i'm proud to say, that started to show while they were ignoring the rest of us at my post prom party. It was so cute, they maintained for almost a month that they didn't have an interest in eachother...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I just (today) met someone that I first met online, if that makes any sense. She's smart and pretty. I hope it works out; she did seem interested. [Smile]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Strider and Leonide
::enters thread to once again claim (rightful or not) credit for this::

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
There have been four failed Hatrack relationships that I can think of off-hand. In most cases, one of the people involved seems to stop regularly posting to the board; I don't know if there's some conscious "who gets custody of Hatrack" decision made or not.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
If Tony and I break up, I so get Hatrack custody.

(Not that we're breaking up.... Honey? [Smile] )

[ November 23, 2004, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Icky , you're the second person I talked to who claims credit for that. You guys need to share or something.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet Eddie's pulling the "well, if I had hit on her, things would've turned out differently" card.

Puh.

Lease.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

No, actually, he said you were too innocent for him, but just about right for Strider [Wink]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing]

It's true.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll bet Eddie's pulling the "well, if I had hit on her, things would've turned out differently" card.

Puh.

Lease.

Deny, deny, deny...
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I tend to be rather touchy feelly in relationships (just ask raia, who once slapped me for kissing her on top of the head in the school cafeteria), so this whole not physically being near is driving me up a wall.
Yes, he does tend to be rather touchy-feely, I have noticed that as well... he also tends to not listen when you tell him you're uncomfortable with that in public. [Razz]

*slaps Stryker again*

(edit: I missed this):

quote:
It was so cute, they maintained for almost a month that they didn't have an interest in eachother...
We did NOT! We started going out less than a WEEK after prom!

*slaps Stryker yet again*

And yes, Corwin, Alcon and I are together. [Smile]

[ November 24, 2004, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: Raia ]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, though I would normally laugh at Internet relationships, I've fallen rather madly for a woman I met over it. As in, long-term. I'm going to Ohio to be with her sometime in the next three months, but it started over this -- and as a result, I'm having trouble with the mockery I'd usually have for long-distance online relationships.

I will say, though, all those in this situation should thank god for webcams and Skype. It's an amazing age we live in.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackFox and I met through Hatrack a little under three years ago. We were very close friends for a good six months or so at first but, as of next month, we'll have been together as a couple for two years.

So, yes, online relationships can work, and often wonderfully when they do. I think a large part of that is because the distance forces you to emphasize communication early on, and a mutual emphasis of trust and honesty and character comes with that. Online relationships, like any other relationship, can also fail, and perhaps they do so more frequently because of the extra difficulties they come with but...

::grins:: It's far more than worth it.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I are strictly IRL.

I don't think I'd like it much if she was a regular here at Hatrack. Not that I'd be embarrased for her to see my posts here (or any other online activity, for that matter). And I wouldn't mind reading what she has to say. It's just...I don't know. It would be like two different relationships.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it when Cor posts here (we met IRL, though). I wish she posted more often, but Hatrack would cut into her SIMs time, and we can't have that, of course.

-o-

Kama, Leo doesn't seem to be contradicting my claim. [Wink]

(Who else is taking credit? Frisco or John? I will share credit with John, if he's claiming it. [Smile] )

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Frisco, but I don't think I ever talked to Leto about this. If I did, he prolly would, too [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.