FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good vibes for Bob & Dana -- Last Update. Plus: Another family member succumbs. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Good vibes for Bob & Dana -- Last Update. Plus: Another family member succumbs.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Dana flew down to Texas Sunday evening to help Bob finish packing and move to Iowa. The original plan was to pick up the U-haul Monday morning, pack Monday and get a good night's sleep Monday night, and leave Tuesday. Drive as far as Kansas City Tuesday, which is 11 - 12 hours, and finish the trip Wednesday, about another 4.5 hours. Dana has to preach Wednesday night.

Forecasts of snow made them consider leaving Monday night and getting a few hours in, to make sure they made it back in time.

Mom just talked to Dana. One emergency room trip (everyone's okay,) 1 leaky U-haul (had to be taken back for a roof patch,) and flash flooding in Texas (roads closed and detoured) later, they finally got on the highway around noon CST today. Bob is driving the U-haul and Dana's driving his car. It is pouring rain.

She plans on posting a full account when they're back on-line, but okay'd me to give a synopsis now... please keep them in your thoughts for the next 24 hours or so. This has gotta be stressful, and Bob hates moving anyway. The rest of the family is heading down after work Wednesday for Thanksgiving and to help with the unloading... but how about having a nice, cheery, welcome to the Midwest waiting for Bob when they get in tomorrow?

Thanks all, and Happy Thanksgiving!

[ November 24, 2004, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sending good vibes for Bob & Dana! Ew! That sounds like quite the hassel! But very worth it in the end!

((((Bob & Dana))))

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope things get easier for them. If they are coming up I-35 they will pass within 200 yards of my folks house and about 5 miles from me.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Kansas City? Man, they could have come here. I'd have fed them. I'd even consider meeting them in KC. (If they call you, let them know. Just in case. You know, if they are in/near Kansas City.)

::sends out good vibes and anxiously awaits the emergency room story::

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
True Love - moving during a Texas flood.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Okay, I lied. (Unintentionally, of course.) They weren't on the freeway yet when Mom talked to her last. They got on 35 around 2:30 CST. So no further troubles and they should hit Kansas City a little after midnight, assuming they can make okay time with the U-haul and trailer.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My office is right on 35. If they left Bob's place two hours ago, they should be passing by right about...NOW.

*runs to window*

Added: Oh yes. I see them. Dana looks calm and Bob looks intense and is driving carefully.

[Razz]

[ November 23, 2004, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

punwit -- Where shall I tell them to wave?

And thanks, everyone. [Smile]

[ November 23, 2004, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure they wave with one finger. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Would Bob lose his status as National Traffic Safety Grand Poobah if he exceeded the speed limit?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, tell them if they have any trouble in the Wichita area (Within a 60 mile radius or so) to call Mom and she'll help them out.

Ivygirl

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Snicker. How very generous of you to volunteer your mom like that. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Right after they cross the Marais des Cygnes between the US 59 Ottawa exit and the K 68 Ottawa exit. They are on the west side of the hiway about a 1/4 mile north of the river.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Just talked to dkw between Corinth and Denton, TX. She's in high spirits, they're out of the rain, and doing fine.

Katie, she said they did wave to you as they passed through Dallas. I passed along the punwit-family waving coordinates, too. [Big Grin]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Eljay,

It's 8:18 Central time now -- so I don't know how far along they are -- but it is pouring rain here in central Kansas, and has been all afternoon. I hear it is the same way all through Oklahoma. It is supposed to turn to wet snow later on tonight. So it isn't the greatest driving weather, to be sure.

I think Dana has my cell phone if they need anything as they come through, but if not, tell her I'm listed (home phone) in the local phone book.

Farmgirl

(Trevor -- I called Ivygirl on the phone and told her to sign on and volunteer us. I was away at the dentist at the time having a tooth pulled so couldn't post myself).

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Luck Bob and Mrs. Bob! Or the soon-to-be Mrs. Bob... [Big Grin]

I hope everyone is OK, and that you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I don't doubt it Farm, but it was still fun to give Ivy grief. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] They stopped in Edmund, OK for the night. So they only got 2/5 of the trip done, but the flooding and stuff really slowed them down. Hopefully the snow won't be too much of a problem... they decided to stop earlier than planned, get a good night's sleep, and head out early.

FG, I reiterated your offer, and she thinks she has your number, just in case. [Smile]

Thanks again for all the good thoughts!

[ November 23, 2004, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
JenniK wanted me to log on and give you the following message:

"Take care, congrats, and stay safe!"

Kwea and JenniK

[ November 23, 2004, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Drive safe! We'd rather have you two ok than the irony. [Wink]

Hope the drive and move are as stress-free as is possible.

. . . and, Bob? *sings* Ya really ought to give Iowa a try! Cuz they're so by-God stubborn,
they could stand touchin' noses for a week at a time -- and never see eye-to-eye!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[ROFL]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, we got wet snow overnight -- not too much as far east as I-35 (which they are on) but just west of that, up to six inches.

The highways look pretty clear, though, and you only really need to watch on bridges & overpasses. And this is all supposed to melt away by noon -- so maybe if they delay just a bit coming through -- they should have smooth sailing the rest of the way.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
The phone rang at 6:50 a.m. It was dkw. She said, "I've left Bob." Then the phone went dead. [Eek!]

Now, she sounded very happy, so I figured she'd taken off on her own in his car, since she has obligations this evening in Ellsworth. And sure enough, the phone rang again. She woke up at 4 a.m. and got ready to leave. Bob got up too, and suggested she go on ahead. So he went to walk Smokey and she left for home. She was in Wichita when she called . . . and as we talked, saw the sign for Kansas City - 200 miles.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Mom?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Gosh -- and she didn't even let me buy her breakfast as she breezed through....
ElJay
Member # 6358

Finally!

[Big Grin]

Edit: Also, see where we get our sense of the dramatic?

[ November 24, 2004, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes - I guess I've been lurking long enough! [Wink]

And I know dkw would have loved to have time to visit with those of you along the way, but it just was not possible on this trip. The timing was tight, even without the leaky truck, flash floods and rainy weather.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Drive carefu...oh well, I know you will whether I say it or not. [Smile]

Have a good trip!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum KrabbyPatty!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yes - I know this was a rush trip. I just hope they make it the rest of the way smoothly.

And actually, it is kind of cool that they know people all along the route (Boon in Oklahoma, me in Wichita, punwit in NE Kansas) that they can call on if they run into any trouble at all.... We're here for them!

Farmgirl

rivka
Member # 4859

Welcome to Hatrack, Patty. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Roadtrip! How cool.

:whispers: Elope. A wedding is just ceremonial nonsense anyway. Elope.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Do NOT elope. Your life is changing dramatically - that nonsense ceremony is to share with people whose lives will be affected by the change. Don't include them, and you become a stranger without letting those that should be closest to you see why.
ElJay
Member # 6358

No worries, kat. You really think she's gonna pass up the chance to wear that?
Scott R
Member # 567

Jack-elope.

Env-elope.

The signs are everywhere.

Soap-on-elope.

(They can't see this anyway, kat.)

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Cant-elope.
Scott R
Member # 567

[Hail] rivka
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Laugh] rivka and Scott, but particularly rivka.

dkw just called, she's entering Kansas City. Bob's around Wichita. She said there were lots of cars in the ditch, and the freeway is plowed but the ramps are not.

It is, of course, sunny and dry in MN. Hope it stays that way until after we get to IA tonight.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

So she's approximately four hours ahead of him.

Let's see if he catches her....... [Big Grin]

FG

ElJay
Member # 6358

Since he doesn't have her experience driving in snow, I sure hope he isn't driving that fast. [Wink]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh good Lord. I had my first experience with the Krabby Patty or Crabby Patty or whatever this Halloween. I couldn't bring myself to eat one; it sounded so...iffy.

So I hope you don't mind if I call you Patty. Actually, the name Pat is apparently up for grabs as well.

Welcome!

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

2:50, dkw in Ames and Bob just north of Kansas City. Ames is about 30 minutes from home, so she'll make it just fine... but it's a good thing she took off first this morning. I'm off, any further news will come from her. [Smile]
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone! Thanks for the good wishes. I'm home (stopped in Ames to grab a few things) and Bob is about 120 miles away. I need to get ready for church, so I'll post the whole soap opera later.

[Wave]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yay! I'm glad y'all're safe. [Smile]
TMedina
Member # 6649

Glad to hear half the couple made it back safely. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank God.

*relieved

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob made it in time for the tail end of the sermon. He's even more exhausted than I am, so I'm going to try to talk him into not even staying up until ElJay et al arrive.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody! [Cool]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Glad you both made it safe and sound. [Smile]

Get some sleep, and have a great Turkey Day.

Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Thanksgiving, Dana!
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.