FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good vibes for Bob & Dana -- Last Update. Plus: Another family member succumbs. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Good vibes for Bob & Dana -- Last Update. Plus: Another family member succumbs.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy y'all.

Made it for the 2nd half of Dana's sermon. We're all safe. Even Smokey (the dog) seems no worse for wear.

I may have a few more items to add from this "Adventure in Moving" (I wonder why U-Haul no longer uses that tag line?) but for me the highlights were:

1) The town of Hearne, TX almost completely underwater, and driving through it.

2) Taking a slight detour from a defunct gas station to a working one just across the parking lot. Flooded lot, of course. Big dip in the middle. Trailer made it over, but at the nadir of the dip, I sort of tore out the handy little thing that you crank down to hold the trailer level when it is off the hitch. Oops. Never liked that thing anyway.

[Big Grin]

3) Hearing Dana's story about almost sliding off the exit ramp. No wait, she did NOT almost slide off, she only THOUGHT she was sliding off! Really!!! The very idea!

4) I really enjoyed driving a 24' U-Haul with a 12' utility trailer through Kansas City on the various flavors of I-35 that they have sort of going through that city. Wow!

5) Having Dana call me twice because I was driving onto the shoulder. I was changing tapes. Neuromancer book on tape read by teh author. (Hint: Get a professional to read your books on tape!!!) [dkw note -- if you'd seen him at the last rest stop you'd know why I was worried.] [bob_scopatz note -- I really should use my initials] (okay, it was sort of night of the living dead...)

6)MY FAVORITE PART -- falling off the truck. And that WASN'T the reason for the trip to the emergency room. I just ended up sort of slow-motion crumpling to the lip of the deck, then the metal bumper, then the ground. The concrete broke my fall. Another hint -- don't load U-Haul trucks during the actual monsoon.

And later, dkw will tell you all how much fun we had at the emergency room, and why we went there, why we're glad we did.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, even with an emergency room trip it sounds like everyone's safe and sound. So congratulations on the move!

Dagonee
P.S., we'd love to hear Smokey's thoughts on the subject, too. [Smile]

[ November 24, 2004, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Eek!]

Wow!

Glad you're there safe. Can't wait to hear the emergency room story.

I can really sympathize with #4 -- I have a hard enough time driving a regular car through that Kansas City highway mess -- I can't imagine doing it with your load.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll rest easier knowing that you all made it to your destination relatively unscathed (I hope). Downtown KC I-35 can be a pain and I'm glad you managed to run that gauntlet. Rest well and have a fabulous Thanksgiving.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you both made it. Happy Thanksgiving. [Wave]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump* Ok, I think it's time for the ER story.

What do you mean, you're in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner? Don't you know some of us are working today and need to hear humorous stories? Think of the children!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanksgiving dinner? What makes you think they're letting us eat dinner? We're still slaving away unloading and unpacking Bob's stuff... Boy, If I'da known they were just inviting us down to be pack mules.....
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
( [Big Grin] )
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
Quityerbitchin'''

It's about time someone made and honest woman of you....er...I mean made you do an honest days work....

[Big Grin]

Glad to hear you are all safe and sound.

Let us know what happend with the rest of the drama when you can!

Kwea

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That post isn't JenniK, it's me...she forgot to log out again....

Humph....women!
[Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.