FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatracks opinion on Masons (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hatracks opinion on Masons
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about the Freemasons except that at the funerals I have been to, for people that were Masons, they have some strange rituals they go through for their deceased Mason brother. Different, but not offensive or anything. Just curious.

Also -- Did anyone else besides me notice that in the movie League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in the library scene where they group all meets each other -- the room is filled with the Masonic symbol? What was supposed to be the meaning of that?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
They probably thought it looked cool.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only that, but a lot of powerful people throughout history were Masons, so the symbols are usually associated with Libraries and wealthy surroundings. Also, they have meanings that fit in well with the movies mysterious atmosphere, and the order is pretty old...if I remember correctly the meeting was in England, right?

As far as what Masons do, each Lodge has it's own schedual....some meet once a month, some twice. Also all Masons are "brothers" so once you achieve your 3rd Degree you are considers a full Mason and can attend any meeting anywhere in the world, providing you can prove (sometimes by examination) that you are a Mason in good standing. If you move to a new place it is great, you ca just walk into any local Masonic hall and meet new people.

Masons support the Shrine and their hospitals, and they do various fund raisers....spaghetti dinners, concessions stands at local events, raffles..whatever they can do to raise money for their causes. They support a ton of charitable events and groups, and they run their Lodge which usually consists of a Hall that can be rented for functions providing you know a Mason...and sometimes even if you don't.. [Big Grin]

They do a lot of parades, and a lot of fund raising for local people in need.....a Mason always has the right to ask for help from the Lodge, but the Lodge has no set obligation to grant any such request. They do a lot of scholarships for the kids of Masons too, usually based on grades AND community service.

Also the Masons are the sponsors of both the DeMolay Boys and the Rainbow Girls, and each chapter must have Masons on the Advisory Board as well as members of Eastern Star (the female equlivelent of Masons).

They do a lot of ritual work, which I can't talk about much...suffice it to say that it most closely resembles a Church Service, but is basically non-denominational.

It is similar to the Elks Clubs in the range of activities they offer. Some lodges have their own picnic grounds where they hold event in the summer months, but locally we use the field at the nearby Elks....a lot of the Elks are Masons too, so the two groups are fairly well-knit (around here at least) and help each other out quite a bit.

JenniK will post here tonight on the Rainbow Girls if anyone else is interested.

Kwea

[ December 01, 2004, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Or was this building I saw just some weird anomaly or something?
Yes it was. We have windows in our Lodge... [Big Grin]

zgator: the only reason those are the "good questions" are because we won't talk about them to non-masons... [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
When the DaVinci Code was big, I read a book called Holy Blood, Holy Grail. I have to say I'm a bit stunned to know that you are one of the ones responsible for hiding and protecting Christ's bloodline. Do you aspire to become a member of the Priori Scion?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
From Dagonee:

quote:
Better yet, play Illuminati.
Which version though? The boardgame or the collectable card game?
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

That was the best ficton attempting to pass itself off as non-ficton since Whitley Stribers Communion.... [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]

[ December 01, 2004, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I've only played the Steve Jackson card game.

It's great fun.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the old "boardgame" version of it better, but the CCG was incredibly cheap, and wound up buying it as well. However, the random rare card thing makes most CCG's unbalanced. The richest guy usually wins.

That's why I liked the original. Everyone had a same chance to control the destiny of the world, in the beginning of the game, anyway....

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
My father-in-law is a Mason. Good guy, for what it's worth.

quote:
They are the single largest private charity in the world, including the Catholic Church,
How do you/they quantify the "size" of a charity? I'd be interested in any documentation you could provide to this effect.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in a mood today.

Here it is, direct from the Grand Lodge of British Columbia and Yukon:
Ray Stevens' lyrics to Shriner's Convention

quote:
ARTIST: Ray Stevens
TITLE: Shriner's Convention

Yeah, they come down Main Street, drums a flailing
Sirens a-wailin', what a roar
Bands are a-playin' and flags are a-wavin'
And the vanguard's a motorcycle corps
Clowns are a-clownin' through the crowd and pinchin'
Every pretty girl who dares to smile
It's a glorious mess, everybody wears a fez
The parade stretches out for miles
{Refrain}
It's a typical American phenomenon
Where all the members have a fine old time
It's the forty-third annual convention
Of the Grand Mystic Royal Order
Of the Nobles of the Ali Baba Temple of the Shrine
Meanwhile back at the Motel
Bubba
Operator, give me room three-twenty-one, please. Hello? Noble Lumpkin?
This here's the 'Lustr'ous Potentate. I said it's the 'Lustr'ous
Potentate. The Illustr'ous... Coy? Dad-blame it, this here's Bubba.
Coy, why ain't you at the parade? What? Well, how'd you get that big
Harley up there in your room? What? I cain't hear ya, Coy, quit
revvin' it up, boy. Turn it off. I just want you to know one thing.
You have embarr'ssed us all, the whole Hahira delegation. Now, I'll see
you at the banquet, son, and you be there, Coy, you hear me? Black tie,
seb'n o'clock. Be there, Coy. And Coy, don't answer the phone
Uddn'uddn.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I have that whole CD collection.... [Big Grin]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Can a Member of the LDS faith become a Mason? I was looking at temple signs from the internet and Mason signs from a book my Great Grand Dad had, and they look to be the same.

I talked to a Mormon friend about that, and he said that Joseph Smith was a Mason and many anti-Mormons accuse him of stealing the Massonic Signs. He expounded on Solomon or something and I lost interest. He did say it was the Masons who killed Joseph Smith.

Reading this post brought back memories, and I am wondering how the Masons feels about the LDS church.

[ December 01, 2004, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: lem ]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I might actually be interested, but the whole secrecy thing bothers me. Always has, and always will.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Waiiiit a second, Shriners are MASONS???

O_O I never knew.

But all I know about Shriners is that there was a Shriner convention directly after my Sci-fi fantasy convention one year. I remember standing in the elevator with my friends in full costume and Shriners staaaring at us. Icky.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait...isn't it supposed to be secret whether you're in the Masons? I don't know, that's just something I heard...
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

No, you can speak about it, of course, and even ask people if they would like to be involved, you just aren't suppose to be real vocal about initiations. also there are some aspects of Masonic life you aren't suppose to reveal to non-Masons.

LDS are welcome, at least from the standpoint of the Masons...I have no idea how the LDS faith views them although there have been quite a bit of repression from every major religion aginst the Masons....religions don't like non-denominational religious orginizations that don't acknowledge their authority.... [Big Grin]

Icky, there is one chapter that makes over 1 million a day on rents, interest, and revenues...that is every day of the year. every single cent is donated to the Childrens Hospitals, wehre all care is free of charge.

There are hundrededs of thousands of Lodges all over the world, and they are all non-profit.

Soup kitchens, charitable donations, free worldwide care at hospitals and burn centers.....

I'd say we do far more than our share of good works....but you will never see any documentation on most of it, because each Lodge does it's own fundraising....although the Masons do keep a close accounting they don't allow anyone else to view it.

Why should they? It is all raised by Masons, to be distributed however they want. They have given money to the cities around here to open pools and keep parks open, sometimes anomously because people don't like to hear about the good works the Masons do.

They would rather go see National Treasure... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not doubting that they do good work, kwea. Honestly, though you seem to expect a negative reaction, my only information about the Masons is positive, and it comes from my father-in-law. I simply wonder how the charitable actions of the Masons can be directly compared to those of a body such as the Catholic Church. You made a comment on how they donated more, and I wanted to know if that claim could be substantiated. *shrug*
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It can't. Not to a non-Mason.

I have recieved a lot of negitive reactions to it in some places, but really I don't here at Hatrack, and positivly not by you. Sorry if I came off that way. [Big Grin]

I like it, although it isn't a perfect orginization, that is for sure. There are some people who seem to think it is all about politics, but one of the best things about being a Mason is that you can go you whole life and not do one thing political in the orginization if that isn't your thing. As long as your dues are paid (and it really isn't that much) then you remain in good standing.

If you want to hold office there are plenty of them, but if all you want to do is help others and have some fun that is great too!

Guess what I favor out of the two... [Big Grin]

Kwea

[ December 02, 2004, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
A little more info about Masonry and it's related fraternal organizations. To answer 1 question I saw, yes I have heard of Job's Daughters and also a group called Triangle, but these groups are not prevalent along most of the eastern US.(the exception being Triangle in New York State.)
The Masons are also very involved with the Chips program....fingerprinting children, taking pictures,and documenting info so that police have ready info available if a child is kidnapped, as well as informing children and parents how to "stay safe" (or as safe as possible intoday's world).

Why Masonry has so many rumors spread about it.... in the late 1800's in Great Britain most men of affluence in England, Ireland and Scotland were members of Masonic Lodges. They had a vast amount of power because they could discuss current events and politics before, during, and after their meetings. Say 15 members of one lodge are all in Parliament. They decide to vote a certain way..they travel to another Lodge where 15 more members are in Parliament..... they can actually change the laws of the country! The Government (as in the "Crown") decided they didn't like that and sent in Scotland Yard to investigate....and plant speculation about a "cult-like organization" among other things. So rumors began to spread... then more people started coming to the US and some members of the government of New York City didn't like the fact that things were no longer going their way...Masons had gotten together and decided to vote a certain way..thus improving their own wealth and that of their friends...and so things continued much as they did in Britain.

As for myself I served as Worthy Advisor, the highest officer in a local Rainbow Assembly, 11 times...more than anyone else in the state. I was elected every time and also served as acting Worthy Advisor for 3 other girls who could not fulfill the duties of that office. I have been a State officer (1991-1992, 1992-1993) and served as the Grand (state) Representative to the state of Alaska and to Japan. I am a member of the Grand Cross of Color, a signal honor for service "above and beyond", and served as the Master of Ceremonies for the Grand Cross of Color Degree at our annual state meeting in 1993. I have been to the biennial international meeting "Supreme Assembly" (which was amazing!) in Buffalo, New York, and met people from all over the world. (My counterpart from Alaska back in 1993 served as their highest officer Grand Worthy Advisor of Alaska 1999-2000 and was in Buffalo so I got to see her for the first time since I had visited there in June 1993! We are still good friends and write and email often!)
Rainbow teaches young girls to be young women. It teaches not only the importance of community service, but also how to run a business meeting (Robert's Rules anyone?), self confidence, responsibility, and public speaking. It also helps develop teamwork, networking skills (Heather, a friend from another Assembly in this area and was Grand Worthy Advisor in Massachusetts 1999-2000, was the soloist at my wedding...she's also one of my oldest friends in the state.), and the ability to plan and implement projects. Each Worthy Advisor is required to plan 3 projects during her term of office; Fund Raising, Fun, and service. The members of the Assembly help to make the projects a success. I also served on our state's Rainbow Camp staff as waterfront counselor 1993, and 1994, then as assistant cook 1995-1997. I made the wedding cake of the archery counselor (Sharon strangely enough also served int eh state's highest office GWA (Grand Worthy Advisor), her cake was white chocolate cheesecake with gum paste roses and leaves. It took 15 hours to bake, and I'll NEVER do it again!!! She was at my wedding with her husband Jay...Past State Master Councilor of DeMolay. I have friends in high places! [Big Grin] I have friends all over the US and other countries from this organization, and I can't imagine how dull my life would be without having been a part of this group. It quite literally changed my life.

I have had the misfortune of loosing 2 of my Rainbow campers... one to suicide at the age of 18 and one who was murdered on a trip to check out a college in Washington State. Those were 2 of the hardest losses I have had to deal with. Another camp counselor died a 4 years ago this January because of cancer...her mom and her sisters are still close friends since Amy and I served as Grand Officers (state officers) together. I was the soloist for a reception in honor of her mom and suster when they were Grand Officers in Eastern Star. I will never forget any of the sisters that I have lost. I have happy memories of smiling faces and fun times that always make me smile.

I have had so many opportunities through these organizations that I never would have had otherwise, and I have so many sisters and "Mom's that I'll bever be able to count them all! Yes, there are politics involved in every organization, but the girls themselves and the advisers who are there for the girls make it all worth while.

For more actual information about the International Order of the Rainbow for Girls check out this site:
[URL=http://www.iorg.org/geninfo.htm] URL]

[ December 02, 2004, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: JenniK ]

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, almost forgot... yes Ben Franklin was a Master Mason.. among many other of our founding fathers....Washington laid the chief cornerstone of the Capitol , Jefferson...all the way down to Ford and so on were/are Masons.
But Ben, he used the Masonic Cipher (the way they can figure out what the words in the Masonic ritual book actually say) to come up with his own secret codes. He knew that he had a Torrey spy in his household and so he wrote many letters and notes in codes so that the spy would not be able to read them and give away important info to the Brits!

Although only Masons are supposedly able to read the cipher, and many older Masons say that women could never figure out what it meant...My own grandmother got fed up with one of my grandfather's lodge brothers one day when he said that she didn't have to leave the room while they discussed it, it's not like she could ever read it...she took his ritual book (all in code) and read it from beginning to end to prove how stupid a comment that was! Of course her dad had been a Mason too..and all of her 4 brothers were..and she and her sisters were all in Eastern Star. My mom is a 25 plus year member, and I have been a member of my Mother's Chapter for 11 years now. I guess you could say we've kept it in the family.

Kwea's uncle Jimmy is a Past District Deputy grand Master in Pennsylvania (Kwea gets mad when I say Pennsyltucky!)

...and Yes every Shriner is 33rd Degree Mason. The Ancient Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine (A.O.N.Y.M.S.) is not a branch of the Masons...it's kind of an extension. Not every Mason is a Shriner, but all Shriners are Masons. there are other extensions such as the Knight's Templar, the Scottish Rite... and on and on.

Many old school Catholic priests in this area forbid their parishioners from joining the Masonic Lodge or it's fraternal partners because they say it is a "demon worshiping cult"...yet the same priests say "Of course you can be a Shriner! They are wonderful people and good men!" I always laugh when I hear that!!! [ROFL]

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I'm nineteen, does that mean I would join the Rainbow Girls? I mean, I know the site says through 20, but I'm going to be 20 in 8 months, so I'm not sure how that works?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
lem, I am not sure why you are interested in LDS things so much, but I wanted to make a few comments about your question.

From what I know of Masons today, Mormons joing a lodge is a non-issue. Chances are that most Masons don't even know the history of the two groups -- although many Mormons do because of the accusations you mentioned.

About one hundered years ago and more, however, there was great tention between the two -- but not for the same reason as the conspiracy theorists. The Masons didn't like the Mormons because, as you said, they believed Joseph Smith and the Mormons stole their secrets and made their own version. For years it was very hard for a Mormon to join a lodge because of the open hostility. The Mormons, on the other hand, were very enthusiastic Masons in the early years, although with a few exceptions. As the tentions became more pronounced, Mormons generally became cool to the Masons if they thought of them at all.

Mysteriously, as there hasn't been any study on the matter, the tention evolved into apathy from both sides. There are a few Mormons who are Masons and very proud of that fact (from how I have heard them talk about it). Masons, on the other hand, simply don't mention any feelings other than directly personal. I think this is because modern Masons are far less worried about the secretive nature of the organization and focus much more on the socializing.

Finally, there are rumors that Masons had a hand in murdering Joseph Smith Jr., but it is merely specuation. Part of this is the so-called last words he made that are supposed to have been some kind of Masonic call for help. It is assumed that he called out when recognizing possible members of the Mason community. No help came and so some believe this shows some Masons were directly involved with the mob. This is not just a Mormon speculation. Personally, I am not so sure it was a Masonic call for help as it sounds equally like a religious outburst of helplessness.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
blacwolve, Rainbow Girls is for girls before Job's Daughters, I think. At least, that's how it was in my area. You'd be a Jobie until you were 20 unless you are married. There's an organization after Job's Daughters for women, but I forget what it's called...

[ December 02, 2004, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Eastern Star. I just looked it up.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Sort of...according to JenniK you can't join Eastern Star unless you have a relative who is a Mason, or were a Rainbow Girl for at least 3 years and left them while in good standing with them.

Most of the girls we know go straight from Rainbow to Eastern Star.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Masons are also very involved with the Chips program....fingerprinting children
I read fingerPAINTING children, and thought, 'Oh. Interesting art project. Dirty old men. . .'

[Eek!]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Kwea, that's a requirement for Job's Daughters, too. That's why people in my area went from Rainbow Girls to Jobies, I guess. I guess I was just assuming that she was related to a Mason. Oops. [Blushing]

But it's not like the relationship has to be close; my great-uncle was a Mason, and that was enough to get me in.

[ December 03, 2004, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

my grandpa was and my uncle is. I'm not sure what level they are/were. I just emailed my uncle asking him.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If either of them is a Master Mason in good standing, you'd be in. You do need to know where, though.

[ December 03, 2004, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I live on the opposite corner (kind of) from a Masonic Temple, though I can't for the life of me tell if it's still operating.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I don't know what a Master Mason is, the Masons came and did something at my grandfather's funeral, if that means anything. [Confused]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Then he should count. If they came to his funeral, I think that means he was in good standing (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Also, do ask your uncle, he should know.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I don't know what a Master Mason is, the Masons came and did something at my grandfather's funeral, if that means anything."

I read this and immediately imagined them bricking him in.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
in the late 1800's in Great Britain most men of affluence in England, Ireland and Scotland were members of Masonic Lodges.
Oh - okay. That statement right there explains that scene in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandfather was a Mason before he joined the Church. As far as I know, he stopped being involved after that, but I don't really know the details on it at all. My dad has just mentioned it once or twice. We had a Masonic temple downtown in the podunk town I grew up in.
Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It doesn't have to be a close relation, even, so you should be OK then.

A Master mason is any Mason who has passed his 3rd Degree; if any ritual work was done at his funeral then he was at least a Master Mason adn was in good standing.

Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Recently my friend's little boy needed an operation that would literally save his life. He had a tumor as a baby on his spine and after removing it his spine didn't have the strength to hold him up and was curving so badly his body was folding in on itself crushing his organs. The insurance denied coverage because it was an experimental surgery to install steel rods to hold his spine up. She approached the Shriners who told her that she had to sign a statement saying that her little boy could receive blood transfusions even though their religious beliefs forbid them from receiving someone else's blood. When she said she could not sign that statement they denied her treatment. Thankfully enough of us made a stink that her insurance company caved and covered it or we would have attended his funeral instead of rejoicing in his finally being able to walk and move around like a normal 2 yr old. Anyway, that was my only experience with the Shriners and it bothered me that they would insist that to receive treatment the family turn their backs on a deeply held religious belief.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
See the secrecy has always bugged me too - why should it be such a big deal?

quote:
A lot of religious groups have been very anti-Masonic because they won't tell the churches what goes on in Lodge, but these same churches have their own secrets that they don't reveal to outsiders
There are no rituals or sacraments of my faith that outsiders cannot witness, or learn about. I know of no part of Christian beliefs that can't be discussed with others, and in fact we're encouraged to discuss them. So I don't understand where that statement comes from.

Personally I have no hard and fast opinion about the masons. I'm more confused than anything, I'm not a Christian who thinks they worship the devil or any such nonsense. I think if your goal is to be charitable and do good things, then why all the ritualistic components? Can't you be a good organization that does good things while at the same time being open about what and who you are?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea,JenniK thanks for all the info on masons, I learned a lot.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wendybird, that sounds like a liability issue to me-- they wouldn't give me an epidural while I was in labor unless I signed that, either (although it's not a problem for me since I don't have those beliefs).
Morbo
Member # 5309

Belle, the secrecy is a little troubling to me, but not too much. I think people and organizations are entitled to their secrets as long as they are not criminal organizations.
quote:
Freemasons are a fraternal organization dating back hundreds of years. The world’s largest "secret" society – these men are the fraternal descendants of the Knights Templar. It is a society bonded by a series of secrets, rituals, and charitable works (for example, the Shriners Hospitals). As described by the Masons themselves, freemasonry is "a beautiful system of morality, veiled in allegory and illustrated by symbols. The mind of freemasonry is its ritual, its symbolism, its morality, its character building. What is its soul? It is that which is hidden behind its symbols and its ritual teachings; its inner meanings and its aspirations, its touch with that part of man which is immortal."
from a long rant on the number five-- http://www.sulis.net/five.htm ,bolds mine. Symbolism and hidden meanings appear to be crucial to Masonry, so secrecy is an integral part of that. Also, their rituals are designed to enlighten new members, and the secrecy of the rituals helps in the drama and symbolism. That's my opinion anyway.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Recently my friend's little boy needed an operation that would literally save his life. He had a tumor as a baby on his spine and after removing it his spine didn't have the strength to hold him up and was curving so badly his body was folding in on itself crushing his organs. The insurance denied coverage because it was an experimental surgery to install steel rods to hold his spine up.
Was it the child's age that made them call it "experimental"? Diane has had steel rods in her spine for about 30 years. But she did have it done as a young adult rather than as a child - she was through growing. Just curious.

The issue of blood transfusions with children too young to give consent is a tricky one. From their (the Shriners') perspective, they might have felt they were endangering the child without that option. Not saying they were right - just that it's a real ethical swamp.

[ December 04, 2004, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
There are no rituals or sacraments of my faith that outsiders cannot witness, or learn about. I know of no part of Christian beliefs that can't be discussed with others, and in fact we're encouraged to discuss them. So I don't understand where that statement comes from.
Some churchs certainly do though, mine for instance ( [Smile] ) but I see what you're getting at.

quote:
Personally I have no hard and fast opinion about the masons. I'm more confused than anything, I'm not a Christian who thinks they worship the devil or any such nonsense. I think if your goal is to be charitable and do good things, then why all the ritualistic components? Can't you be a good organization that does good things while at the same time being open about what and who you are?
Well on the other side of the coin, Belle, you belong to a chariatable organization (the Church), why can't you get rid of all of this preaching and Jesus stuff? See waht I'm saying? A large compnent may be service but even if it's the main component, there's no reason why that has to be all that they do. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Researching Masons and the occult in general on the internet is fun and frustrating. There are Masons, anti-Masons, Christians and Satanists, people preaching tolerance and hate. It's all very confusing. Here's a pro-Masonry website, http://www.masonicinfo.com/primer.htm, and here's a page on anti-Masons: http://www.masonicinfo.com/fraud.htm Scroll down to where it says "Combating Jewish Racism." Is that not the freakiest font you have ever seen on "Jewish Racism?" It looks like it's dripping blood. It comes from an infamous racist anti-Semite, anti-Mason, anti-etc website that my previous link quotes from.

If you really want a wild ride, just type in "Masons" and "satan" to any search engine You'll find some seriously nutty webpages, trust me.

edit to add: In my opinion as a non-Mason, they are not associated with Satan or Satanists. That is an old charge leveled against them which dates back centuries, and which probably has more to do with church envy of Masonic power and influence than anything else.

[ December 04, 2004, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Morbo
Member # 5309

To illustrate my point about wacky web pages from that search, here's one that claims Masons, the Queen of England and Nazis are involved in a sinister plot involving Denver International Airport:
quote:
The Queen of England has reportedly been buying up property in Colorado under a proxy.
There is a lot of "secret society" symbology at the airport, an AWFUL lot in fact
The symbolism apparent in the layout of the new Denver airport, some feel, says that it may be a control center for world control
Specifically, those involved in some very unusual government projects in the past, have remarked that the Denver area is where the establishment of the Western sector of the New World Order will be in the United States
The LUFTWAFFE has long had an EXTENSIVE base in New Mexico complete with towns where all signs are in GERMAN

http://www.geocities.com/Baja/5692/
I linked there from this even nuttier page: http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
That would explain a lot about the Denver airport, though.

[ December 04, 2004, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

As someone who lived in Colorado durring the three eon construction period, I can tell you that if a conspiracy theory that has existed before didn't get applied to DIA then it wasn't a consipracy theory worth making fun of. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Can't you be a good organization that does good things while at the same time being open about what and who you are?
Belle, have you ever seen what the Church holds in it's vaults? Do you know what is in there? Quite a bit, and I am not even going to a wacko site to prove it. The Church has admitted to not revealing all the prophecies from Fatima, for instance, but that doesn't make them a bad group or devil worshipers does it? Have you ever seen priests ordained? Do you know all the prayers to do an exorcism?

Please don't tell me the Church is completely open with it's parishioners, I was raised RC. There are tons of things that are secret in the Church, and things in their archives that no one not ordained will even see....and even most ordained priests won't ever see them.

Lets approach this from the other angle for a second.....just because your group does charitable work for the community does your group relinquish all rights to privacy? Does everyone has a right to know where you spend all your monies and what you do in the privacy of your own Lodge?

Also, when Christians were being prosecuted and everyone in the Roman Empire thought they were a cult and distrusted them, were Christians open and inviting then? Not too likely....

In this thread, filled with fairly intelligent people in a very modern age, how many people have mentioned dangerous secret rites and devil worship?

If anyone thinks that religions are the only groups that people discriminate against they are crazy.

One last thing....the Shriners run private hospitals, so they have to be VERY careful about the operations they do...I am sure that wavier was required by their insurance company, and they can't violate their policy or the whole hospital would be shut down. I am sure they would have tried to avoid a transfusion if at all possible, but they have regulations in place for a reason.

They had no obligation to operate at all, even though the child needed help. I am glad that the insurance caved in and all is well....but there wasn't anything they could do, unless they were willing to risk the whole hospital to help them.

Kwea

Hobbes
Member # 433

[NOTE: Belle isn't Catholic]

Hobbes [Smile]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.