FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A giggle for the SAHPs (and others)

Author Topic: A giggle for the SAHPs (and others)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
On Bedrest
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Very funny!!! [ROFL]
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] That's a little too true to be [ROFL] ...

[ December 01, 2004, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*hug*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch! [Frown]

[Edit: this a big reason why I can't be a mom right now. I just couldn't deal with it. (Actually, I'm pretty sure I'd end up curled in the corner in a fetal position.) All you strong and resilient SAHPs have big armfuls of admiration from this corner!]

[ December 01, 2004, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure I'd end up curled in the corner in a fetal position.
This is a legitimate coping technique. I've used it myself on more than one occasion.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka [Kiss]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't figure out what SAHP is. Please enlighten this thickie.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Stay At Home Parent
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
When I had toddlers and was pregnant, I always laughed when they said "Don't pick up anything over 15 pounds."

Other than the early part of my pregnancy, this is like the coolest pregnancy ever. All of my kids are in school. I have one old enough to babysit. I'm thoroughly experienced, and well rested from having wee little ones.

On to a serious thing. Our suburban/urban mentality I think is one of the things that has made parenting harder and more stressful than it used to be. We move away from our families, and so don't have any local backup. Many of our communities are so loosely knit that we don't feel comfortable relying on neighbors in those kinds of circumstances when we really need help, and don't expect to help our neighbors much when they need help.

This is most true in areas that I think need that togetherness the most: apartment complexes. Full of poor to low middle income, these are the ones living in areas of high turn over and sometimes high crime. They are the ones having children too. I know, because that is exactly where we were when our children were young. The thing that made a difference for us was our church community. But most of the people I knew didn't have that.

It DOES take a village, and we've lost that to a large degree.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*is taking around Christmas cards and plates of cookies with an invitation to the creche exhibit at church, her phone number, and an offer of friendship and help whenever it is needed to everyone in her apartment building tonight*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
:applauds ketchupqueen:
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
This really is so true....I always laugh when people tell me to hire a mother's helper. With what money?
Or the other day when I picked up Andrew (26 lbs) and B. said, "You shouldn't be picking him up anymore". UM, sure honey. Whatever.And where were you whenh I brought in the groceries last week? Anyway, my midwife says that up to 50 lbs is OK, if proper lifting technique is used.

Amka what you say is so true. We have to do this alone, it stresses us out, when we get impatient or depressed wel, we can get this nice pill but no way to pay for what we really need, a mother's helper, monthly housecleaning, and chance to take a poop by oursleves....
Um, sorry, I'm rambling, but this subject is near and dear to my heart, I will confess that I just yelled at my oldest two for playing around instead of doing their chores, I am a crappy mom these last few days and I need a bloody break and if I get to go to work tonight and take care of someone elses kids without taking along any of my own that will have to suffice for this week.
Uh, sorry again, I need to stop.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

- posted      Profile for Don Driscoll   Email Don Driscoll         Edit/Delete Post 
I really wish I had a copy of it scanned in, but when my wife was pregnant with our second, someone gave her a very similar cartoon. It has a doctor advising a woman to stay off of her feet for the rest of her pregnancy along with a pregnant woman walking around on her knees...
Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.