FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Story (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrack Story
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
'Oh?' she said and rubbed her eyes, 'I must have been blinded by the light, I thought it was Gilraen you were flying. Where is Gilraen?'
Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Gilraen came from behind bush, and neighed as she went to meet Eresse. The mare had been startled by the sudden appearance of the winged horse.

[ December 10, 2004, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Altáriël of Dorthonion ]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Sir Chad grumbled, "Did you think to get me a horse, elf, or am I supposed to walk to this lake of yours?"

Gwynsor whistled. "This is Emislina, Elladan's mate. She can carry you the rest of the way."

Gwynsor and Sir Chad skimmed the treetops while Eressƫ kept pace. Gilraen darted among the tree trunks as if she had been bred for the open forests around the lake.

"Here we are," Gwynsor said at last. "May you find peace and rest under the boughs of my home."

"Wait," Sir Chad loosened his sword in its sheath. "Something's not right..."

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
"Indeed, there is a strange and foul smell in the air" said Gwynsor. He hushed them all.
"We are not alone...", he said in a low whisper.
Suddenly...

EDIT(for ginette): umm...Gilraen cannot fly... [Wink]

[ December 10, 2004, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Altáriël of Dorthonion ]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

... a whole lot of very tiny beings appeared out of a hollow trunk, carrying red glowing balls in their hands. Apparently these balls were giving off the stench, because when they came nearer it became overwhelming. Eressƫ almost fainted and fell down on her knees. The thick mossy underground with its essential flavour however undid some of the effects of the stench and quite soon she recovered and lifted her head. High above her Gwynsor and Chad had taken refuge in the higher atmosphere on their flying horses, leaving her to handle the threat of the nearing hordes.
Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Luckily, she had some Ye Olde Vickess Vapor Rub in her pocket. She rubbed some under her nose, and it was so strong it almost completely covered the stench. No longer in danger of fainting from the foul stench, she began looking for an escape. Things got a lot worse very quickly, though, as she looked to her left and saw...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

her horse Gilraen in trouble. Instead of being nervous by the foul stench, Gilraen seemed to like it and was just about to eat some of the glowing red balls out of the tiny creatures hands.
'Stop Gilraen, don't!' she screamed. But he wouldn't listen, so she picked an old branch that was lying on the ground and threw it to the horse. She hit him in the stomach, not very hard but enough to frighten the horse away from the danger.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, he then ran off into the night, leaving her abandoned and alone. The small creatures with the glowing balls of stink swarmed her, chattering, and she realized with horror that they expected her to buy the foul things! She had no money, but she didn't think that would deter them.

Just then, she looked up, and saw her salvation:

[ December 11, 2004, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

...Gwynsor throwing down a bundle of paper money and a bag, which looked like it would be absolutely water and stench proof. She caught it from the air and threw it to the creatures, ordering a dozen of the red balls. 'Please put them in the bag and close it tight' she asked very politely.
Five of the small beings started happily dancing around, taking care of her order. From the bundle of paper money that dropped exactly at her feet, she took one piece for each of them.

Then she left, whistling for Gilraen.

jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Erstwhile in parts unknown a giant bear wearing a clown nose rode merrily on a unicycle.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

Then he got tired and went to sleep under a big tree.
Gilraen, being excited by the delicious smell of the red glowing balls saw the clowns nose and decided he must have a bite...

[ December 12, 2004, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: ginette ]

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

but heard the whistle and as instinct comanded, followed the sound to Eresse who stood on a boulder looking out for her mare. Eresse soon got back to Gilraen, and once again mounted her.
"Are you all right?" asked Chad.
"I'm fine!", responded Eresse.
"Then, lets get out of this place, my house is yonder by the lake shore!", cried Gwynsor.
"Fine, I'll meet you there!", said Eresse.
Meanwhile, back with Eresse's parents and fiance(X.X)..

EDIT: OMG!! Thx for pointing it out!

[ December 13, 2004, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Altáriël of Dorthonion ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Gilraen mounted her? [Eek!] Eeeewww...

back to the story:

A plot was brewing.

"We must make her return," said the king. "If she doesn't, our kingdom will fall into ruin. But how will we find her, and even if we do, how will we entice her back?"

"Ah," said his wife, "You forget that I am a sorceress. She won't be able to resist the call of my magic..."

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

"Indeed", said the king, "which measure would you prefer, my love? There is that vodoo, and the thing about knowing the true name, or the one about the portrait. So many to choose from."
The queen chuckled.
"Yes, dear, there are many ways. But its not about which one is prefered, but which is the most effective. We do wish to lay hands on that stupid dwarf's money now do we not?"

ginette
Member # 852

She crossed the beautifully furnished room and went to an old cabinet. From the upper drawer, which she could reach easily because she was a tall woman, the queen took a tiny box.
'Look here, my dear husband.' She opened the box and let the king have a look.
He saw a small bundle of blonde hair, bound together with a yellow ribbon.
Questionally he looked up at his wife.
'Well, it is hair I took from her back when she was a baby.' she said looking happy.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
"My dear, I know how badly in debt our kingdom is. I know we need that money or the kingdom will fall to bandits, raiders, or conquorers. But what of the prophecy?

quote:
The strong will be broken,
alone, the young grow old.

Aren't we dooming our little girl?"

"Oh, phooey. We exposed that oracle as a fraud. You know I'm the only sorceress in the kingdom. I've seen her happy with the dwarf. Don't worry so much."

The king sighed, "I suppose you know best."

"Of course. You know I'd never harm my little girl."

Little did the king know...

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

that although the prophecy had been false, a new one had been stated, by none other than the Oracle of Evawther, and all prophecies by this oracle had been proven true.
"Dear, you must also pay heed to the warning of both the tree amidst the woods, and the Oracle of Evawther. Such predictions by them are not to be taken lightly."
The queen pondered for a while.
"That is true my dear, but we musn't forget one thing, If I once bended the prophecies of an elf, I certainly can change the ones of my own daughter."
The king sighed,
"Do you not remember the reason we started all this? Why we left our own daughter to this fate? Do you not recall the prophecies?"

AvidReader
Member # 6007

"Please, dear, I know you mean well, but really. Who are you to speak to me of prophecy?" She kissed her husband lightly. "Don't think so much. Go to sleep."

The king was still nervous, but his wife knew best. And it was so much money. He needed that money for the good of the people.

Looking around the palace, he noticed the paint was beginning to crack. That would be one of the first things he fixed. The kingdom couldn't afford to let foreign dignitaries think that their king was too poor for a new coat of paint. It was for the good of the kingdom, after all. The king soon immersed himself in all the things he would buy, for the good of the people.

The queen sat alone in her chambers with a small basin of water. When it was absolutely still, she looked deep into the depths. "Show me Eressƫ. Show me the daughter I claim by right, but not by birth."

The water shimmered. The queen saw...

[ December 13, 2004, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: AvidReader ]

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Eresse galloping at full speed. She was at the lake.
"I wonder what she would be doing there...", muttered the queen, "That elf, he has a certain resemblance to a certain someone I met before..."
The king only looked out the window, and continued wondering about the future of his kingdom.
Meanwhile, a bear in the woods, had been disturbed from hybernation by a certain horse...
It ...

jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
'Well, it is hair I took from her back when she was a baby.'
She had hair on her back when she was a baby? Eww.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Eresse had grown up, and it had now turned a dark blond, almost hazel. It was wavy, and reached her back.

ginette
Member # 852

From afar, the bear saw the sun dance on Eressƫ's hair while she galloped along the lake. He took off his clowns nose - it was become a little bit itsy - and struggled to his feet. He pushed a button under his left arm, and large bear-wings lifted from his shoulders. He leaped forward and with amazing speed he flew down to the lake to follow that beautiful galloping creature.

'Oh my' sighed the queen, still looking in her basin. 'That's the worst thing that could ever happen. A flying bear is after her!'

[ December 13, 2004, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: ginette ]

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Eresse looked back and saw the bear at a distance. To the bear, she had been a shooting star.
She galloped ever faster, but the bear kept coming nearer.
"Gwynsor! Sir Chad! We are being followed!", cried Eresse.
Man and elf both looked and saw the danger coming.
"Chad, guard Eresse, I believe I know who is following us, and although I believe it to be no danger, I could be mistaken", said Gwynsor.
Chad agreed and Gwynsor turned his path and met the bear at a distance.
"Bear! Who are you? Do you intend to follow us?" asked Gwynsor to the huge blue bear.
"Look, I only need to follow that girl I saw in the distance. if you're with her, then you may take me with you".
Gwynsor was starled, he had not heard of a tlaking bear before.
"As for my name, I'm a cousin of that Moosh from Zelda, my name is Mahtan, I mean no harm alright, but I must warn you, you are being watched."

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

"By whom?" asked Gwynsor.
"An evil witch. Remember that stone that Eresse took at the forest?" asked the bear.
"Yes, what about it?"
"Use it, its a magical cloaking device. I must leave now, but I'm sure I'll see you later on in your quest!", said the bear as he flew back to his den.
Gwynsor went back with everyone else.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

He tried to warn Eresse of the danger, but she was mad at him and kept interrupting.

"You took my conditioner, didn't you?" she stormed.

"No, and I have to tell--"

"Stop lying, I know the horse didn't do it, and the knight doesn't have enough hair!"

"Eresse--"

"You snuck off to use it, didn't you?"

"I didn't, I--"

"WHY DID YOU TAKE MY CONDITIONER?"

"I didn't--"

Just then, the argument was interrupted...

[ December 14, 2004, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

by Sir Chad.
"Stop will you!!!" he yelled at them.
"Look, Gwynsor is trying to tell you something Eresse, please stop worrying about your conditioner!!! When we reach the nearest town, I'll get you more, but for now, what did you want, Gwynsor?"
Gwynsor sighed and Eresse calmed herself down.
Gwysor's elvish city was now in view.

[ December 14, 2004, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Altáriël of Dorthonion ]

AvidReader
Member # 6007

The evil queen began her incantation. Eressƫ felt faint, like a heavy blanket had been thrown over her head. She felt her eyelids droop, and she began to slid off Gilraen.

Sir Chad was able to catch her before she hit the ground, but he was baffled by what had happened. How could anyone become ill so quickly? "Gwynsor, get down here. She's got a fever."

Remembering the flying blue bear's words, Gwynsor dug through Eressƫ's bags until he found the magic stone.

"What are you doing, elf? If you steal from a dying woman I swear I will kill you."

"This attack is magical. I must fight it with magic. Let me think; I need to activate the stone."

The evil queen leaned low over the bowl and whispered directions deep into Eressƫ's subconcious. The words were barely spoken so as not to disturb the surface of the basin. Finally the queen held the baby hairs over the bowl.

"Eressƫ, daughter by right, come home to me." The baby hairs hit the surface just as the basin went black. "What?! The elf must have done this. But was I in time? Was the spell finished?"

Eressƫ did not awaken, but her breathing grew steadier and her face regained some of its color. She appeared to be sleeping.

"Is she alright?" Sir Chad asked.

"The stone should help. Come on. Let's get her out of the elements."

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

The next thing Eresse remembered after loosing consciousness, was awakening in a dark room where a fire was being kept. She looked at her surroundings, and noticed that Gwynsor and Sir Chad were conversing by the fire. They were laughing together and she felt in her hand, the stone from the tree.
"This stone, I wonder why I have it with me still...", she said to herself.
She got out of he bed she was in and went with the elf and man.
"Where are we?", she asked.
"Welcome to my home, in Ruthianar", responded the elf.
"I'm glad you have awakened, princess", said Sir Chad.
"Why do I still have this stone with me?", asked Eresse.
"I heard from the bear following, a trusted source, that we are being watched and this stone's magical properties allow us to use it as a form of cloaking device."
Eresse nodded and kept the stone.
"I knew my journey would not be with out peril, I will guard this stone as much as I can."
"Very well princess, that is a wise decision." said Sir Chad.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

"Now stop picking your nose."

Eresse looked at him sharply. "I'm not!"

"Don't lie, I just saw you."

The elf looked at the two and realized with horror what was going on-- Sir Chad was hallucinating!

ginette
Member # 852

Or was he? When Gwyndsor turned to Eressƫ, he seemed to see a strange light coming from her body. At the same time her features changed slowly into those of a young child.
Apparently Chad wasn't aware of what was happening, it looked like he had stepped into the illusion and became part of it. He was treating Eressƫ as a small child instead of the young woman she was.

Gwyndsor immediately knew what was happening. The stone had not sufficiently beaten the magic that was threatening her.
With all the experience of his elf life, he knew what to do, but he had to do it quick. He jumped to Eressƫ and took the stone from her hand. The light around her seemed to pull and push him, making him dizzy. He knew it was a dangerous thing to try, he could so easily also become a part of the illusion and then not only Eressƫ but also Chad and himself would be lost. But he had to try, so with an immense effort he raised the stone to her forehead and pressed it firmly between her eyes.
Blue sparks came off the stone and made a crackling sound. Then the light Eressƫ radiated went out. With a sigh, she fell to the floor, unconscious.

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

[POST]So then, what happens to Eresse? My imagination is dry right now...X.x[/POST]
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
And Eresse's forehead split open, spilling blood, bits of skull, and more horribly, pieces of brain.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

Slowly pulling its way out of the open skull came a snarling grey monstrosity. Its maw opened wide displaying ferocious teeth. Its hooked claws reached back into the brain and pulled out a top hat and cane.

"Hello my baby,
Hello my honey,
Hello my ragtime gal.
Send me a kiss by wire.
Honey, my heart's on fire.
If you refuse me,
Honey, you'll lose me,
And you'll be left alone.
So come on
And tell me that I'm yours!"

With that, the baby alien wandered off to find the nearest space diner to practice his new gimmick.

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

X.x is that really the witch's spell?

Anyway...

Baffled at what they had just seen, they tried to take the stone from Eresse's forehead.
However, jsut as they were putting their hand near, the body became re-animated, and deformed.
(Ala "Evil Dead")
It started to speak with a distorted voice, saying how they would miss their precious princess, how they had taken her and how they would never see her again. When it finished telling what it had to tell, it once more dropped dead, and stayed there. Gwynsor carefully took the stone then.
Obviously, this ws not Eresse, both elf and knight thought. If she had been, the stone would not have had such dire consequences...

"When was she taken?", they both asked themselves.
"I don't know", said Sir Chad.
"She had looked a little wierd, I remember, but I could never think that it was not her...", said Gwynsor.
"We must find her at once." they both said, as they both mounted their horses.
They put Gilraen on a steel cage, just in case as well. If it turned out that Gilraen was also a part of all this, then they would have to kill the horse.
They both flew back, to where the bear was at. Gwynsor thought the bear might have some answers...

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I feel like getting this started again. We should make a Hatrack RPG where like Telperion, Pop, Eruve, raia, ketchupqueen & princess, dagonee, everyone else and me go on a quest.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.