FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's the best gift you're giving this year? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What's the best gift you're giving this year?
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what kind of gift I mean? The one that's *just* perfect?

The best gift I'm giving is to Boy Opera. I had his shopping all done when I decided to run into a store in town where I thought he'd seen an owl ornament for the tree. Boy Opera loves owls, and we always get the kids a new ornament every year. They didn't have an ornament; they only had an owl figure.

So I get in the car, get halfway home, and turn around. I realized that Boy Opera's Christmas list began like this: "Owls. Owls. More owls or else." I'd been so busy shelling out the money for a gameboy, games, and a whole bunch of other stuff that I'd missed what he wanted most of all - a $2 owl. So now I have it. It's white, has fake feathers, and in my mind is perfectly hideous. But I know he'll love it. [Smile]

space opera

[ December 10, 2004, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Space Opera ]

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell you. Eve reads the forum sometimes. [Evil]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell yet, there's a lot of christmas shopping left. I just hope my Hatrack victim will appreciate the box I sent...
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
For my friend, the Victorian-hobbyist, I found him a door lockset with skeleton key. Has doorknobs, two panels, and the mortise lock. Brass.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
My entire flippin' family reads the forum. No answers for me here. (Hint: It's for my dad.... [Evil] )

[Wave] Hi everybody!

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Love.

(Not as the world giveth, so get your mind out of the gutter! [Razz] )

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Love.

As the world giveth, so put your mind back into the gutter!

But only to my dearest darlingest hubby. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Eve, since you're reading this post, go make a screen name and start posting!
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I'd post here, but someone's reading these forums [Razz] .

edit: and I'm not talking about Eve.

[ December 10, 2004, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm giving ElJay a purple Yamaha V-Star motorcylce.

Oh, wait . . . wrong list. I'm giving her socks and underwear.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm giving tow sweaters that I've knitted. One to my mother and one to a sister.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Just make sure it's the V-Star Custom you're not giving me, not the V-Star Classic. You might as well not give me the one I really want.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Diamond stud earrings.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh. Now I'm giving another friend a two-foot tall Totoro.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you get a two foot tall Totoro? That would be awesome!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Totoro!

with shipping it's about $59.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the coolest gift at a bookstore. It's called a Circle Journey journal and you buy the set with a journal, mailing envelopes, seals, labels, photo corners and all this stuff. Anyway, the purpose is to have one person write in it, then send it to the giftee. Then they write in it, send it back and so on until it's filled. When it's filled, the giftee gets to keep it.

My bestest friend has been living in Japan for two years teaching with the JET program. She LOVES journals and photo albums and personally thought out gifts. She's one of those people that ALWAYS comes up with something thoughtful and personal as a present. I'm just terrible at thinking of things for her. So I pounced on this idea and made one of my own instead of buying the lame one. [Smile] I bought a lovely little square journal and with scrap book lettering I wrote on the inside cover "This journal connects Lucia to Cecily." I'm including photo corners and all sorts of stuff. She'll ADORE it, and I've finally found the perfect gift for her. For once. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my friend Annie the perfect gift... I won't say what it is, since she's a member of this forum (though I don't think she's been on for ages, but no sense in taking any chances). If you're REALLY interested, you can ask me privately. [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
For the last 15 years or so we (Me, Cheri and Anna) have given my mother a nice wall calender. This year I ordered a calender composed entirely of pictures I took. There are flower pics (she loves flowers), sunset pics (ditto) pictures of her granddaughter skiing and playing in the snow... well you get the idea. The site I used to do this is the same one I use to print my pics. I just ordered a coffee mug for my dad with this image. This shot was taken on our recent trip to Rainy Lake in Northern Minnesota. I'm quite excited to see them open these gifts
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan and I have been working on homemade calendars for family members - they are just about done and they are adorable! They include pics and quotes, and some of Nathan's school essays: Pepper is my Hero (the cat) being one of the essays, and more pics, etc. I am told that grandparents particularly will go ga-ga over them . . .

[Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Knowledge. For my parents, about myselft. And the love and friendship that was kind of lost between us in the last few years...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave my wife the seed of my loins, and her flower was pollinated. So, we are just recently expecting our 3rd child. My wife is only less than 5 weeks along, so this is all pretty new and exciting.

But I am already getting praise on my gift-giving from my wife, and I am happy. Very happy! [Smile]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be giving my high school class ring to my SO as a promise ring along with a 2004 calendar, that will serve as an archive of sorts, with important dates and events that happened this year written in.
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've quite got anything perfect yet, but I have a friend who has had this mug/shot glass collection ever since I've known him (elementary school). He's now in college and has found the joy of ramen, so I got him a mug thats painted to look like the Cup Noodle styrofoam cups. It even has a lid that looks like the label. Anyways, I thought it was nifty and pretty clever.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm giving my mom the first set of DVDs from a TV series called Dark Shadows , that originally aired from 1966 to the early '70s. It's a soap opera with a vampire as the central character.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually going to buy a laptop for my mother with my newfound wealth. After helping her choose the one she wants, of course, which is the fun part. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Graverobbers from Outer Space for my dad. Such a good game, and I told him all about it a few weeks ago. He seemed really interested.
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't say. You never know who might be watching! [Angst]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm giving my brother a collection of some of my favorite literary novels, since he's recently gotten into that sort of thing. I'm going to give him Catch-22, which I haven't read but he requested, Catcher in the Rye, Sidhartha, and maybe one other, if anyone has any suggestions.

I'm stumped for everyone else, though. My boyfriend is being singularly unhelpful in telling me what he wants.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm letting my son go to my parents so he can have Christmas with his five younger cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents. That's a pretty big deal considering I didn't speak to them for 5 years.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I signed my younger daughter up for three months of after-school art classes. She loves art and sometimes misses it because of an extra class she's in. Now she can be artistic every week.

That was for her birthday, which is Dec. 13. She started classes last week.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackcatwings
Member # 7077

- posted      Profile for blackcatwings   Email blackcatwings         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m not good a gifts, mainly because I can’t stand staying in a mall long enough to find anything. But this year my BF was easy to shop for. But that’s all I’ll say, not giving any more clues here. [Razz]
Posts: 22 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Cay- My brother's birthday is Dec. 13!
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm giving my nephew my first hand-knitted jumper. [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave my big sister (in my sorority) a romote control Lexus that I had taken out of the box and personalized. We always make fun of the way each other drives because she drives really slow and I drive really fast, so now she can practice on the hall.
The only bad thing is I gave it to her last night and it's finals week. Whoops, we definately spent over an hour playing with it and wound up distracting half the sorority. [Blushing] [Wink]

~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
We make the fam photo calenders, which they adore.

A seamstress friend embroiderd a leotard with a snow fairy and made a snow tutu for Olivia.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my roommates and I are exchanging the best book we've each read in the past year.

Unfortunately, I can't decide.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I found some fabric printed with Roy Rodgers movie posters and got some coordinating fabrics. I'm making my mom a throw pillow out of it. She's an absolutely huge Roy Rodgers fan ever since she was little.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Carrie: List the books. We'll decide for you! [Razz]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I knitted my sister a hat with kitty ears--black hat, but the insides of the ears are pink, it looks really neat. And everybody (parents, sister, and husband) is getting De Bas chocolates as stocking stuffers [Big Grin]
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband and I never have money to buy each other things, so this year I'm doing him a service.

*seconds Hobbes here about the gutter*

I got my husband's whole family to pitch in and buy him an electric guitar. So basically what I got him is not having to open up gift after gift containing a book he'll never read or a sweater he'll never wear.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
The person I got a really cool birthday present for's bithday is December 13th (today). I hope he likes it, chocolate, lyrics to songs about being his age, playdough, and some inside joke things like a james dean keychain standing a certain way.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have high hopes that this ebook reading device will go over with Diane. Diane has physical disabilities that make handling books like "Mists of Avalon" kind of difficult to deal with. She has a palm pilot, but the screen on that really isn't sufficient to read a book for an hour or two.

I already know the gifts I picked out for my sister will go over well.

(Attention: Ketchupqueen!)

I picked up a wall clock and calendar The Official Roy Rogers - Dale Evans Website. Her birthday is coming up in January - I think I might go for the afghan throw rug.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, blackcatwings, who's your boyfriend? [Taunt] Just kidding, I know you meant best friend, but that was mean! *pouts*

Ivygirl

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, thanks, sndrake! I came across the fabric by accident; I'll post a pic when the pillow's done (lazy me, I haven't done anything but washed the fabric yet). Now I know what my mom's getting for her next birthday: a "Cowgirl Attitude" shirt (halfway down the page). Just her style; she always wanted to be a cowgirl.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump* For bcw's benefit, if she ever gets on.
Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother used to sing to us ALL the time. One of the things she used to sing was a series of songs telling the Peter Rabbit story. Well, she passed away in 1986, leaving 7 children, some of whom were very young. I remembered her singing these songs, and I remembered the melodies, but not all the words. So, after two years of searching, through the magic of the internet and Google and eBay, I got a copy from a lady in Australia, then I found the publisher still in business. They still had original copies of the music left, which was written in the 40's as a children's piano recital piece. They sold them to me for the original cover price. In November, I sent one to each sibling, along with an advent calendar like the ones we used to have when we were kids. (The German kind where you open one of the 24 numbered windows each day in December to see a little Christmas picture.)

Yeah, people tend to cry when they get presents from me...

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My father loves chutney. It is not easy to get chutneys in this country that are a) authentic (or at least close enough for his taste), b) kosher, and c) not obscenely expensive.

When I was at the Camarillo Outlets a couple months back, they had preserves and relishes on sale -- most of which were kosher. So I got him a jar of chutney, and one of an interesting-looking apple-onion relish.

Him likee. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Blue bowls!

Dead_Horse, that is beautiful.

[ December 17, 2004, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't say, just in case.

I did find the perfect gift for my son (or for me, for that matter) but I can't get it in time for Christmas. Maybe his birthday...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.