FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cool new book

Author Topic: Cool new book
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I just came across this new thing, I think alot of people here might like it. It's called Lord of the Ring by Junior Tolkien (sp?).

And also, I was travelling last month and in this one hotel I stayed in I found this other book called Bible. Kinda eclectic, but alot of really funny parts. There's also a murder mystery about half-way through it. Awesome twist ending, that's all I can tell you without giving anything away.

Anyway, I gotta get back to procrastinating on this research paper.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

There this other book. I forget the title, but it's about war and peace. By some Russian guy, maybe Gorbachev.

Also, there's this book with a bunch of useful tips on how to live your life, it's called Owner's Manual to 1991 Honda Civic. Great read.

Did you know that Ernest Hemmingway won the nobel prize for the back of 1947's box of Cheerios?

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Should I encourage him?

There is also this new book by this new author. I forget his name. Its called Beginers Game or something like that.

Its about a kid who doesn't quite grow up to be a mass murderer, but considers himself one anyway.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

Oh yeah, I read that in high school. It's about this kid named Scout who tries to kill all the birds in Alabama. Hitchcock made a movie out of it.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read the one, Miniscule Women, or something, where these little girls keep burning each other's stuff and trying to drown each other, then end up marrying people who wanted their sisters?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

Then there's that one by Dan Colorsomething, Leonardo DaVinci's Secret. Really cool book about Renaissance art and a treasure map on the back of the Declaration of Independence.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't that one a movie? =)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Indiana Jones, duh.

Wasn't the Russian book War and Peas?

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

The book is always better than the movie. Except for Cool Runnings, oddly enough.

Take The Ten Commandments for example. They totally cut out that whole "monkeys enslave the human race" sub-plot.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool Runnings LOL - I just watched that today..... the kids were on a "what haven't we seen in a while" kick. =)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

Neat. I hadn't thought about that movie in awhile myself. Funny how things work out like that.
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wading through a book by that guy who's on the Internet a lot. They call him the Web-ster. The book is about how kids at a new university somewhere back East spell and pronounce their words. Pretty funny...some of the things those kids say...
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny, my nickname is Webster, on acount of my using big words all the the time.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delicate flower
Member # 6260

- posted      Profile for delicate flower   Email delicate flower         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They call him the Web-ster. The book is about how kids at a new university somewhere back East spell and pronounce their words.
I think I read that book, but isn’t about a short black kid who lives with a white couple? Or is that just a sub-plot?
Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading non-fiction these days. It's a guide to business. Big yellow book. Very cool. Although it seems to be mostly specific to someplace I no longer live. I wonder if there's a local version for Iowa...

I also read an infinitely fascinating book called Mobius Richard. It's about a guy with a boat and obsessive compulsive disorder. Mostly he just goes fishing with his buddies.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there was a sequel to that one, Bob. They called it Re-hab.
(sorry, cross-thread pun)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

One time in high school civics they made us read this work of fiction called The Constitution. Hilarious stuff. It's like this really scathing parody of the government today. Maybe the guys at the Daily Show wrote it.
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Whachoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.