FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is that the Star of David?

Author Topic: Is that the Star of David?
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sitting here watching Dracula, the good version with Bela Lugosi made in 1931 and enjoying it immmensly. I own it on VHS and I really like it, especially with the new Philip Glass score. Anyways, this has been bugging me, it looks like there's a very large Star of David hanging around his neck. First off, am I seeing right? It's kind of a grainy picure and it's not entirley true. Is Dracula Jewish? If so I have to admit that kind of bugs me. A lot. I don't know, any comments?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've got comments.

I think you're nuts.

Bela Lugosi's twisted.

But the Bela Lugosi song is even more twisted.

It's been overcast here for quite a few days. We haven't had any sun. And it's finally cool. Oh, now nice!

Oh, did you mean comments about the Star of David? Sorry, dude. No clue.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen the Bela Lugosi version of Dracula, but I will say that I'm somewhat accustomed to seeing images of vampires wearing medallions that are roughly similar to a Maltese cross, usually in gold and scarlet, and worn close to the neck, almost like a brooch. And IMDB's movie stills don't show what's around his neck well ehough to tell, but I can tell it's on a chain and not what I described.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.briansdriveintheater.com/horror/belalugosi/belalugosi15.jpg

The star appears to be six pointed, so it very well could be.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Better picture.

http://worldofyesterday.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/dracula.jpg

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the same picture.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Further information:

http://www.tvacres.com/horror_vampires_chokula.htm

http://www.toonopedia.com/chocula.htm

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. So it is. Well, it's higher res, anyway. The point is, I'm fairly sure dracula is not jewish as the lore generally says that, while he isn't quite as repulsed by the Star of David as he is by the crucifix, it still acts as a sort of OFF! Vampire (tm). Check Wikipedia.
Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yeah, but note that all that lore draws on post-lugosi dracula flicks.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to note, in fugu's first link on this thread, Lon Chaney has this blurb

quote:
Horror film great Lon Chaney Jr. is one of the only actors to have starred as the Wolf Man, Frankenstein's monster, Dracula, and the Mummy, all while under contract to Universal in the 1940s.
See, now, I find that surprising, because I had assumed that there were scores of people under contract to Universal in the 40s who would have all starred as all of those various monsters. Go figure!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
That does look identical to a Star of David, but considering he's supposed to be the whatever of Vlad the Impaler, he definitely isn't Jewish.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point. [Laugh]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liaison
Member # 6873

- posted      Profile for Liaison   Email Liaison         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an extremely vague memory of reading something about "Solomon's Seal" ages ago. I looked it up in the dictionary, and it was defined as a six-pointed star formed of two triangles...or something along those lines. I think it was used as an amulet to ward off illness, the flu? Not sure, but I'm too lazy to look it up again. I don't know how that would be associated with Dracula, but there ya go. That's the best I can do. [Smile]
Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I suppose it's safe to say I won't run to temple for sanctuary from vampires, and I'll be sure to keep a good stock of crosses and garlic instead of star of davids and unleavened bread.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that it's much more likely to be some sort of medal, as has been said, or some emblem of nobility (he is COUNT Dracula remember).
quote:
Example of six-pointed order emblem, from Ethiopia.
The examples are good, but the distinction between military medals and the Star of David is complicated by the fact that the Ethiopian emperor, up until the last one died in the second half of the 20th century, had as one of his titles "The Lion of Judah". So there's a Jewish connection to Ethiopia's six-pointed star medal after all.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Hay, Cashew, Kacard is searching for you [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
I could very well be a pentagon devil thingy.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Except a pentagon has 5 sides and that star definitely has more.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
actually I think kacard is searching for Cochick...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.