FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are your TRUE expectations of Hatrack? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What are your TRUE expectations of Hatrack?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
How serious could those punishments be?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan, is English your second language?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... that all depends on what you think is most serious. Which would you prefer: being banned from Hatrack, or being kept lovingly as Hatrack's village idiot? See, it is all a matter of perspective.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bilingual. I've natively an English speaker, but at the speed I write I have many typos.

Being bilingual causes me to translate phrases occasionally, and vary the correct syntax. I'm the son of an English teacher, so I occasionally write 'rimes' and confuse pluralising of nouns. I might write down 'vira' instead of viruses (I'm studying Latin), and Greek plurals I never study.

That's the trouble of etimological studies and my unusual character combined. Any further inquiries?

Jonny

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Well there is a big difference between digging a well and building an aqueduct. I do not know the generally accepted number, but so long as a significant fraction of your community engages in some form of agriculture, you are not a city. The art of living in cities is the breaking up of the workforce into specific job tasks. Many of which do not exist without the city itself, such as sewer repair, fire man, and PEST councilor.

Civilization is the Art of Living in Cities, so it seems pretty clear that we are civilized, so were the Romans and the Babylonians. Civilization may allow for a whole range of behavioral norms as long as somebody takes out the trash.

BC

[ December 16, 2004, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Bean Counter ]

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Civilization is the Art of Living in Cities
You keep repeating this as if it were true.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

OK, it's 1:52 PM and I have no energy to argue. This essentially means I give up. Due to tchnology we are more urbanised...

What was the argument about... Oh, right! Whether we are CULTURED or not... *Change of terminology.*

Jonny

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's mostly in caps, Kat. It has to be true.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I do!

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

[edit: this is directed at Jonathan.]

Not really. You just use some odd phrasing that made me wonder. If English were your second language, I would have been very impressed. I like to know odd things about people, it seems.

You seem to be mad at me, and I'm sorry about that. Hatrack is supposed to be fun, and I think you might be taking some of my wise ass quips a bit too seriously. Yes, Bok is hot, but it's not actually going to change how I interact with him. The cooties thing is just me being me. You'll get used to me.

For your spelling errors, which it seems to me, increase exponentially the more often you post to a single thread, can be fixed quite easily with a quick download from www.iespell.com However, it's not that big of a deal and even with it, you'll sometimes forget to use and make a mistake anyway and that will be the one time someone will quote you and it will live for eternity. [Embarrassed] As to the unique phrasing, I thought it was cute. It just made me wonder what you native language was, so I clicked on your profile and noticed you were in Israel which made me wonder if English was a second language. Sorry if I've offended you.

[ December 16, 2004, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Ralphie... You are a classic.

hy do I keep on judging people? *Bad Jonny! Bad Jonny!*

I have a Déja vu!

Jonny

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mostly I just like to hear what people have to say. I like seeing debates and seeing both sides of issues as well as just general fun information.
Word. While I don't feel like I can participate in the hot discussions much, they always help me figure out how I really feel about the subject in question. It's mind-bending here at hatrack.

quote:
I got hooked on the puns but, I stayed because the community is compassionate, informed and varied. It really boils down to the sense of community. That is what I want and why I stay.
Everything in that statement is true for me except the part about the puns. I love the puns, but I am a crappy pun-thinker-upper.

Oh, and Begging the Question. I'm here to keep that thread from dying.

*goes to revive the thread*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
You seem to be mad at me, and I'm sorry about that.
Nobody's mad. Really. I'm just a very bad typist... Bilinguality does make me weird in my writings. Hatrack is fun, yet misunderstandings occur...

I can talk in better Shakespeare syntax!

Jeez, I need tea...

Jonny

beverly
Member # 6246

And if I remember correctly, Jonathan is young. I always give allowance for young-ness where grammar, spelling, etc. are concerned.

I, on the other hand, have no excuse. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
I always give allowance for young-ness where grammar, spelling, etc. are concerned.
Bah! I feel incompetent for this forum.

Jonny

P.S. Am I the youngest regular poster? (14.5 y.o.)

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Friends and debate!

Long live Hatrack!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Jonathan, no, you are not the youngest poster. And I really never questioned your age, though I assumed you were a teenager, but it was just a couple of odd phrases that made me wonder. You aren't incompetent, but perhaps a bit eager.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Eager for what, integration into Hatrack?
beverly
Member # 6246

Jon, I am old enough to be your mom. That is, if I were your current age when I conceived. [Razz]
Kayla
Member # 2403

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I just realized you are my son's age! Granted he's a "special" [Wink] child and all but I just can't imagine him ever being able to, or wanting to, post at Hatrack. I'm so old.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody else shares my interests and my introversion so perfectly.

[Big Grin]

EDIT: That's not an expectation. I expect to converse with people who share my interests and introversion perfectly [Wink] .

Okay, perhaps not perfectly...

[ December 16, 2004, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. My other friends who are on other forums make fun of me, because to them my forum is an old people and mormon forum. (Most of them post on Something Awful and Gaia) I don't feel any better or worse than them for posting on a forum like this while they post on theirs. It's just that with a forum that has a small(er) population like this, I feel like I can get a community around me and a group of support people who can give me an objective opinion.

Honestly, this was the first forum I've joined that I've continued to post on for a prolonged period of time. I don't even remember whether or not I've been in any forums before this. Weird.

I guess I just expect Hatrack to be there. It's kind of my home on the net.

Wow, boy, you're just a little older than my little sister. Jeez you're a smart young man.

[ December 16, 2004, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
My expectation is that when I say something, or ask a question, no one tells me "That's wierd" or "You think too much".
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

That's weird.

[Wink]

[ December 16, 2004, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

[Big Grin] ((((Amka))))
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm . . . I want to marry Bokonon.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
A place where people are caring most of the time, and honest and open all of the time (ok, maybe almost all of the time?).

The other fora that I frequent (with the exception of the various Hatrack satellites) all have a general tendency to be heavily moderated. This means people tend to walk on eggshells -- or risk seeing posts disappear, or threads get locked.

While the bile and bad feelings that come from some of our hot-button threads are unpleasant, we can HAVE those threads. And for the most part, they don't get zapped, locked, etc.

On one of the other boards I frequent, a recent political thread -- which had NOT even gotten nasty -- got locked. The explanation given was that it looked like it might be getting nasty (which was a real possibility), and previous experience made the moderators agree to nip it in the bud. Personally, that sort of attitude is why I visit there occasionally, but no longer call it home. (Especially combined with the tendency of the nastiness to then get discussed behind people's backs in IRC.)

Hatrack: we may not always be nice, but we're always honest. Sometimes painfully so. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the forum rivka?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Civilization is the Art of Living in Cities
Every once in awhile, believe it or not, I meet civilised people out here in the sticks.

Oh, also - I brought the refreshements.
*hands around vegetable platters and hummus*

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hatrack: we may not always be nice, but we're always honest.
I think you should add "unless people are trying to guess your gender. In which case, feel free to screw with their minds."
quote:

Every once in awhile, believe it or not, I meet civilised people out here in the sticks.

And, believe it or not, most people I meet in Phoenix are everything but civilized. [Smile]
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'd rather not specify, Noemon. I mentioned it only for illustrative purposes.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
Most people I meet in Phoenix are everything but civilized.
People in Jerusalem are not even close to that.

A Kurdish kid once said to me (in Hebrew):

He: "Will you stop it! All you !@#$%^& Americans! That !@#$%^& English you speak! Get a life! Speak Hebrew God dammit!"

I: "Listen to me, you Moroccan-"

He: "HEY! DON'T YOU CALL ME MOROCCAN! I'M KURDISH!"

I: "I know that. I'm not American. I'm Australian; don't ever call me American or you'll find youself in severe agony. In addition, I'd love to speak Hebrew with you, once you learn how to speak the language properly."

You see, culture is abscent, civilisation is a step beyond that, if - and only if - you relate to the context it was originally said in.

Jonny

P.S. Sorry for posting so late, I was asleep.

[ December 17, 2004, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack is my hometown.
Hatrack is a place where I can find interest and compassion.
Hatrack is a place where I can seek advices.
Hatrack is a place where I can debate of my ideas with people who really want to debate and not to shout their opinion to each other.
Hatrack makes me think. Often. And sometimes changes my mind, or on the contrary helps me to discover the real reasons behind my opinions.
Hatrack makes me laugh too. Often.
Hatrack is a big window open on the world around.
I love Hatrack.
[Kiss] to my fellow Hatrackers.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

[Wave] Hello, Hatrack!
Noemon
Member # 1115

No problem rivka.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I stay with Hatrack (even when I try not to) because it is mostly intelligent conversation -- something that is hard to find these days. I like hanging with intelligent people who make me think -- broaden my world view.

I often don't agree with everything said; and sometimes I even go the whole range of emotions (anger, sad, happy) through Hatrack posts for the day, but overall my experiences here have, I think, help to form me into someone with a rounder viewpoint than I had before I came here.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm here for the pie.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that is true also. There is always someone to bring food for parties.
Party !
[The Wave]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And, believe it or not, most people I meet in Phoenix are everything but civilized.
DaG, stop talking about me behind my back. Wait, or was that in reference to slacker? But you are right, I've met plenty of people who've never lived in anything larger than a farm cluster that I'd happily call civilised, and plenty of city dwellers that I'd like to see their land-dwelling privileges revoked.

I'll have to ponder upon a serious answer to the thread though, other that to break my work day up into bite sized chunks.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
You good folks here at Hatrack help me focus my thoughts. You help me to take a step back and think about why I hold certain beliefs and opinions. You help me to look at all sides of an issue. And for the most part I have found a community that values tolerance in a way that is almost nonexistent in the real world. Hatrack is a very refreshing place to be! (Of course there are a few notable exceptions to this, as has been noted in the "Who is poisoning the well at Hatrack thread".

Oh.. and I look really cool to my friends.. with all the cool links I e-mail them that you all provide me here in Hatrack!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm here for the same reasons as Kat's first post. Although not in that order.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Kat's first post is here because she put it here. Kat put you here? How did she do that?
rivka
Member # 4859

There's a reason she's known as SuperKat . . .

*wise nod*

*mysterious look*

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.