FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I SHOULDN"T BE HERE, but....

Author Topic: I SHOULDN"T BE HERE, but....
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
Who's gonna stop me. Probably my mission pres, if he knew. anyways i'm here in Cambridge (it's in Ontario for those who don't know). For those who don't remember I was called to serve in the Canada Toronto West Mission. If any hatrackers are in the area look for two handsome elders who's names are Elder Youngberg (ME) and Elder Hale (my comp). well, I'd better go. It's been great saying "hi"
Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Gumby, good luck on your mission.

[No No] for posting.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Embarrassed] I can't believe you did that...

[No No] Don't come back till your two years are up.

But have fun in the mean time. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that that bad?
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. He's not supposed to swim, either. [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
He has to wait two years after eating before he can swim? And I thought 30 minutes was hard. [Razz]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is he not supposed to post?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Waterloo and was visited by one Elder McRae and one Elder I-forget-his-name. Elder IFHN was out on his second day of his mission, and looked a bit overwhelmed. Poor guy.

Anyway, Waterloo is really close to Cambridge, which is why this is marginally relevant. [Razz]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, Gumby! Stick it to the Man, kid! [Smile] Or the God. Your pick.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I love to go to Navou and see all the sisters gathered together in one place! It is second only to cheerleading/flag camp for the availability of the fair sex! Stop using electronic media you cad!

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear from you. I probably would go into total shock and need fluids, even that experimental blood substitute, if I were forced to be away from hatrack for two whole years. I hope you will fare better than that. We are all counting on you! [Smile]

And yay congrats for being on a mission. That is so awesome. I want to go on one someday too. I hope I can.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, missionaries aren't supposed to swim or use electronics the entire two years of their mission? Huh?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a problem with boards in general, not electronics as a whole. I'm not LDS, but I've heard people say that some missionaries are allowed to use e-mail. [Dont Know]

As for swimming, is that just a ban on recreational swimming, or are you supposed to practically forget that such an ability exists? I mean, could you still, say, swim to get to the other side of a river if no bridge is available, or something like that?

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You can swim if your life depends on it or something (and believe me, people have). But you can't swim just for the sake of swimming.

As for electronics, you are supposed to be thinking about your mission and God, not the world. So you don't watch TV, movies, listen to the radio (although certain kinds of music are okay-- usually hymns, it depends on the mission president). Some missionaries are allowed to use e-mail to communicate with family, since you get two phone calls home a year (Christmas and Mother's Day), but there are strict rules in place.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really curious...

Why the ban on swimming? Is running for liesure allowed?

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Safety.
And I think you can run on P-day.
I'll have to ask one of my older sibs that have been on a mission. I haven't been.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

I used to be lifeguard certified, and have always thought it was rather ... stupid about the safety thing. Unless I'm not that well informed and it has something to do with something else. (thinks of a couple possibilites)
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was for the same reason Missionaries are no longer allowed to cross open water. [Dont Know]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I thought it was for the same reason Missionaries are no longer allowed to cross open water."

They're vampires?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hello, we're missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and we'd like to suck your blood."

Hobbes [Smile]

[ December 18, 2004, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

hahahaha Tom.
Hobbes - Well, I know you can't rock climb. I know you can't skydive (obvious, except come on you can do that rather quickly [Big Grin] )

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
That would explain why LDS churches don't have crosses on them. And how Mormons manage to create such enormous broods. Scary.

At least they can't come in your house unless you invite them to.

Wait. I had two missionaries visit me a couple of months ago, and I invited them in! Curse my lack of foresight! I shall have to prepare in case they return. Maybe make up a batch of green Jell-O salad laced with garlic. . . .

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It was explained to me once that besides the safety issue, swimming usually involves immodest clothing.

I mean, if we're telling them to keep their thoughts away from the world for two years, do we need to dangle scantily clad members of the opposite sex in front of them? Or rather, let them do it to themselves?

[ December 18, 2004, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww... Mormons are so cute....
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Who was it, one hatracker, who told us his dad referred to a mission as "Mormon Boot Camp"? I loved that! [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20X6
Member # 6447

- posted      Profile for 20X6   Email 20X6         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm in Waterloo and was visited by one Elder McRae and one Elder I-forget-his-name. Elder IFHN was out on his second day of his mission, and looked a bit overwhelmed. Poor guy.

Anyway, Waterloo is really close to Cambridge, which is why this is marginally relevant.

Eaquae Legit, ELDER "IFHN" MUST BE ELDER HILL. I LOVE E. HILL. HE WAS IN THE MTC WITH ME... I mean... I'm not on a mission for the lord and am not posting in hatrack... btw was E. IFHN a short black haired person and E. McRae a big person? just wonderin'

[ December 20, 2004, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: 20X6 ]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Missionaries are not allowed to swim because Satan has power over the waters. You can read Doctrine and Covenants chapter 61.

quote:
14 Behold, I, the Lord, in the beginning blessed the waters; but in the last days, by the mouth of my servant John, I cursed the waters.

15 Wherefore, the days will come that no flesh shall be safe upon the waters.

16 And it shall be said in days to come that none is able to go up to the land of Zion upon the waters, but he that is upright in heart.

quote:
18 And now I give unto you a commandment that what I say unto one I say unto all, that you shall forewarn your brethren concerning these waters, that they come not in journeying upon them, lest their faith fail and they are caught in snares;

19 I, the Lord, have decreed, and the destroyer rideth upon the face thereof, and I revoke not the decree.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned that from Alvin Maker. (nods)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"you shall forewarn your brethren concerning these waters, that they come not in journeying upon them"

So small island countries are relatively safe from Mormon missionaries? *laugh*

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And it shall be said in days to come that none is able to go up to the land of Zion upon the waters, but he that is upright in heart.
Unless you are "upright in heart."

Guess I can't visit Hawaii!

EDIT: changed "heat" to "heart." It could affect meaning. [Blushing]

[ December 20, 2004, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: lem ]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad Gumby!

You could at least be emailing me while you're breaking the rules. [Wink]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably should seeing how you own everyone's soul.

once again...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, Waterloo is really close to Cambridge, which is why this is marginally relevant.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eaquae Legit, ELDER "IFHN" MUST BE ELDER HILL. I LOVE E. HILL. HE WAS IN THE MTC WITH ME... I mean... I'm not on a mission for the lord and am not posting in hatrack... btw was E. IFHN a short black haired person and E. McRae a big person? just wonderin'

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

For anyone familiar with Kevin Bloody Wilson, I was laughing while posting as my mp3 player decided to play "Festival of Life." For anyone not familiar, don't look it up.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
no longer allowed to cross open water
One P-Day a Japanese member took us out to see the Naruto whirlpools in a small runabout. Even 60-foot yachts have to be careful negotiating the whirlpools.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

Danke, sweety, [Evil] but I'm not replying. The user guidlines of your service including:

quote:
Be careful about what you put in writing. The e-mail system may record all messages sent and received. E-mail should be used with the expectation that messages and use may be monitored and reviewed at any time by any authorized representative of the Church. The system should not be used for communications that are considered confidential. The Church may be required to disclose user's e-mail messages and other materials created by users in certain circumstances, including litigation.

kinda freak me out.
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Hello, we're missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and we'd like to suck your blood."

Ok, this is off-topic, but that reminded me of a story my friend told me. One year her brother dressed up as Vincent Price for Halloween. He wore the big plastic fangs and couldn't speak very clearly, so when people told him, "Wow, what a great vampire costume!" he would angrily reply, "I'm NOT a vampire, I'm Vincent Price!", but of course his speech was impaired so it came out sounding like, "I'm NOT a vampire, I'm Jesus Christ!" Apparently he and the rest of the family got a lot of very strange looks that year... [Big Grin]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
My mission president heard the "satan has dominion over the waters" arguement going around and told us that the reason for the "no swimming" policy was because the church pays a huge premium to insure its missionaries. The "no swimming" ban dramatically reduces that premium.

It it "that bad" that a missionary posted here? Well, that depends on how you feel about rules. Are any of them important? Which ones? When you're preaching the "one true way" to salvation, how important is it to sweat the small stuff?

At any rate, if it is against the direction of his mission president, it is an open act of disobedience, a tiny little --|-- to the rules. It'll just make it that much harder to preach self control to the next investigator who wants "just one last" cigarette before baptism.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
KarlEd, your post seems like it is equating posting on Hatrack with smoking cigarettes. Geez . . . I know Hatrack can be addictive, but that's kind of a harsh analogy. ain't it [Frown] ?

Anyway, I would say the reason for the swimming ban is a little bit of "all of the above." Most of the "rules" that missionaries follow fall under the broad category of protection--protection from physical danger and protection from spiritual danger. The latter comes in the form of the temptations of Satan. Since the biggest temptation Satan uses on missionaries is distracting their focus from their work, most of the rules are geared towards preventing that from occurring.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a valid comparison in that both the rules a mission president gives his missionaries and the word of wisdom are as much about obedience as they are about safety (both physical and spiritual). It is a fact that smoking that "last cigarette" won't make much of a difference in the potential convert's health, but the show of a lack of commitment to the rules he is being asked to live by is enough to keep him from being worthy of baptism, at least until he can show greater commitment. Similarly, it's probably very unlikely that his posting here while on his mission is going to turn any potential converts away from the LDS church, or that it, in itself, will make him a less effective missionary. However, it does raise the question of what other rules fall into the same category of importance for him.

Honestly, I'm not trying to berate Elder Gumby for breaking rules, but I am trying to explain to Ryuko (or anyone else who wonders) why such a thing would be taboo, at least enough that a mission president would care. I think a lot of mission presidents would follow my reasoning and agree with it. YMMV.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Sounds like it might be Elder Hill, Gumby. I was a bit distracted at the time, and sad that the sister missionaries who'd been visiting me had left. But yeah, the discription sounds like him.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.