FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, how many times have YOU watched Napoleon Dynamite this week?

Author Topic: So, how many times have YOU watched Napoleon Dynamite this week?
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at seven and a half, and all the DVD features (there wasn't many), since I bought it on Tuesday.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Zero. [Razz]
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Frickin' idiot!
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
None.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it in theaters 7 times alone, dude. 3 times alone on opening day. Dollar theater. Very cool. Don't have DVD, though. All sold out here in Utah.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't heard of it. [Dont Know]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Not as many as I've watched "hoosiers" (23 hour marathon)
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Um, once. That was the first time. I might watch it again eventually, but I don't see what all the fuss was about.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't seen it at all this week. Saw part of it once. That was more than enough.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't seen it, and don't really feel compelled to make the effort.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
i saw it once and still regret it
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Twice.

But I've watched Return of the King four and counting.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

*gives T_Smith, pajeba, and Carrie a shiny star and puts [Frown] s next to all the haters* Let's hope you all do better this week.

Hey, T, do they have Target up there? For some reason, Target seems to be all up ons when it comes to stocking their products, though their selection is fairly small compared to Wal-Mart and K-Mart.

[ December 27, 2004, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to watch ND is with absolutely no expectations.

That said, I adored it. Haven't bought it yet, tho.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a suspicion that people that were popular in high school would get nothing out of Napoleon Dynamite.

It certainly isn't a movie for everybody.

It is a movie for me, however.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
2.5 times. I watched it with my parents and they just didn't appreciate it. Maybe you have to be a child of the 80s.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Talk about hitting the golden niche market. This movie is going to make a zillion dollars. It vindicates the angst of every geeky white kid in middle America. It's literally Don Quixote for poor, aimless dorks. It's the anti-SpellBound. (I loved Spellbound, btw. And I loved those kids.)

The question at issue is whether this movie makes people feel better about being hicks. Or whether it makes people want to rise above that station. If all it does is make you feel better about being a poor self-absorbed doofus, which Dynamite is for 95 percent of the film, then so be it. But if it makes you want apply yourself to some worthy endeavor, like Dynamite did with dancing, then maybe it's not so bad.

I'm not saying that high school is fair or fun, but Dynamite was whiny and worthless, and I thought he deserved a lot of the scorn and apathy that he was showed by his peers.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am a child of the 80s, and I was not popular in high school. I still didn't get it
likewise, i mean... i've seen worse movies, but still...
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

I'm a child of the 90's, and I totally loved. So did all of my 80's-and-90's-children friends....except one. But he's retarded.

My dad didn't dig it much (my mom loved it, but she saw it as a drama...), but my siblings, 10 and 12, absolutely loved it.

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So did all of my 80's-and-90's-children friends....except one. But he's retarded.
A form of autism or palsy?
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister got it as a present from one of her friends last week and showed my mom. In the past week, my mother has also watched the movie twice and will randomly quote it.

That said, I'm still at two, with RotK at 5... but DodgeBall is at something like 6. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
The question at issue is whether this movie makes people feel better about being hicks. Or whether it makes people want to rise above that station. If all it does is make you feel better about being a poor self-absorbed doofus, which Dynamite is for 95 percent of the film, then so be it. But if it makes you want apply yourself to some worthy endeavor, like Dynamite did with dancing, then maybe it's not so bad.
Raising Arizona is my all-time favorite comedy. Most people don't 'get' that one, either. It may be riddled with morals, launching pads for personal growth and anthropological discoveries... but it's mostly just butt-clinching funny.

While ND isn't as funny as RA, it's very similar. It didn't seem either pro or con geek, like RA isn't pro or con hick. It almost seemed like a mockumentary to me, with sort of a warm and fuzzy ending.

[ December 27, 2004, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Ralphie, "mockumentary" is a great word. (I'm going to steal it!)

What is amazing about this movie is that it is NOT selling to a niche market. Everyone is buying this movie. THe first time I saw it, the theater was packed, in yuppie northwestern Portland Oregon. Everyone in there was laughing hard enough to split the pants they were wearing. I was shocked. I'm sure there are plenty of people in that theater that weren't hicks, popular, unpopular, or self-absorbed dufuses. [Roll Eyes] They just found it funny. I think analyses defeat the purpose...you either find it funny or you don't. [Dont Know]

I found it hilarious. I got it for Christmas and my mother has made me promise not to watch it without her (she hasn't seen it yet). She's been warned about the no expectations thing and I think she's going to like it, cause she's expecting NOTHING. [Big Grin]

(I adore Raising Arizona Ralphie...."Things CHANGE!!!!")

[ December 27, 2004, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

The scene in RA where they are waiting for the camera to take a picture of their new family is one of my favorite scenes in all of moviedom.

So is the robber/chase scene with the banjo/yodel version of 'Ode to Joy' as the soundtrack.

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

quote:
A form of autism or palsy?
What the heck are you been talking about?
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
The scene in RA where they are waiting for the camera to take a picture of their new family is one of my favorite scenes in all of moviedom.

So is the robber/chase scene with the banjo/yodel version of 'Ode to Joy' as the soundtrack.

A co-worker of mine said, out of the blue, "My youngest son's name is 'Nathan'. When he was a toddler I used to say to my wife, 'Nathan needs some Huggies... I'll be out di-rectly.'"

It launched a forty-five minute quote-a-thon of RA lines. Since the moment I saw it, it was my all-time favorite, but I just never knew how MANY quotable lines there were.

::thump::

"That sounds like Larry."

[ December 27, 2004, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the problem I have with "Napoleon Dynamite" is that I have enormous difficulty watching scenes in which characters suffer incredible, outrageous embarassment; it makes me want to leave the theater in sympathy.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Awww. You sound just like OSC.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Hey, I don't disagree with him on everything. [Smile]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Apparently not.
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
"Our love for each other was stronger than ever. But I preminisced no return of the salad days."
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.