FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, what to do when you REALLY REALLY screw up

Author Topic: So, what to do when you REALLY REALLY screw up
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I did it. I did a mean thing, inadvertently, and I want to crawl under a rock for at least a year.

I wrote to someone to ask why I should like someone, because I thought he was sort of mean and creepy. I knew the person I was writing to would give me an objective view, and make me see what I had been offended by in a different light, and realize I was just spouting off,

except...

I sent it to the person I don't really like.

What a freaking idiot!!

I wrote to apologize, and explained how I was really trying to get an opinion from someone I knew loved him. I explained my feelings about him, and why I felt that way.

Is there ANYTHING else I can do to make this better, or should I just take deep breaths and chalk it up on my chalkboard of "Stupidest hings You Have Ever Done?" (I feel like throwong up-have for over an hour)

I remember this happened to someone last year at work. Oh, the pain of stupidity! Oh, the agony of not having pure thoughts at all times, and having that revealed!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh.

[ December 27, 2004, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I'm sorry, I can't help it....

Suck it up and drive on, I guess.

Nothing else to be done about it.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear Antarctica is very nice this time of year. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Elizabeth)))

It's okay if you think I'm creepy . . .

[Wink]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Elizabeth)))

I'm fairly sure that *everyone* does this sort of thing at least once in their lives.

You can't undo it, and I think you've done all you can to make up for it. In the meantime, suffer a bit over it. Sometimes these things open up all kinds of good communication and create friendship where there was none before. [Smile]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Just make sure you didn't title the response 'Dear X'. [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope that his e-mail inbox was so jammed with spam that your e-mail gets bounced back?

I'm sorry, I've done that before. I hope that he is understanding and realizes that the purpose of the e-mail was to find reasons to like him.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's rare to get a chance to see what people REALLY think of us. Perhaps he will use this as a growing and enlightening experience. [Smile]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
ouch, that seems like one of those southwest airlines comercials where they have someone in a crappy situation and then say

"want to get away?"

I don't think there is much that you can do. I guess just wait to see what the person says. Maybe it will be a wakeup call for him and he will stop being mean and creepy.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man! Remember when I did that very thing earlier this year? I made a thread about it too...

I wanted to die.

Hatrackers were very very supportive, and I lived.

Hugs to Elizabeth!

((Elizabeth))

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Farmgirl, it was you! I knew there had been a thread. Thank you.

"Sometimes these things open up all kinds of good communication and create friendship where there was none before."

I am thankful that this is exactly what happened. He totally understood, and I feel so LUCKY.

Kwea, I am sure it will be funny to me some day many years from now. ("Why, I oughtta...")

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad it's working out okay.

I did something awful once, and it didn't turn out okay and I still have major guilt twinges over it. I and a co-worker were reading a memo written by another co-worker out loud, laughing at the mistakes in it and making fun of her. Just like in the movies, she came up right behind us and heard it.

Everytime I think about how she must have felt I feel bad. It was absolutely a horrible thing to have done, and I know I was an insensitive jerk.

I apologized but our relationship didn't mend, ever. Of course I no longer work, but when I think back to my times of working for that company, it's one of the only bad memories.

My advice to you - be thankful, and forgive yourself.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, that is great!

Kudos to you and to your hapless victim. [Wink] (Seriously, sounds like you both are handling a sticky situation like real grown-ups. Rare!)

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have one lingering from the seventh grade.

I'm glad things worked out for you and, like Belle said, forgiving yourself is important. (Creepy, mean and understanding. What a combo!)

[ December 27, 2004, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to think about making that one of my New Year's resolutions -- don't say anthing about a 3rd party unless I wouldn't mind them hearing it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
I find banishing myself from hatrack for 7 weeks worked okay.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you keep El Creepo in your mailing list???

Sumpin' don' jibe none.

[ December 27, 2004, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
The subconscious is a powerful and frightening force, is all I can guess.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

aspectre,
It is someone who a lot of people(on another email group I am in) really like, but who I found stand-offish. I was looking for confirmation that he was nice, because I had had some weird moments. I think it was more one of those physical things, hard to explain, when someone is really shy, but seems snobby? And I knew the person I was writing to really loved him and would make me feel OK.

Anyway, I agree with you Mr. P_H, and I try to do that in my life and always have. I just seem to get caught when I fall off the wagon of niceness, just like I did when I tried to sneak out of my house ONCE in high school, and got bagged, big time.

Ralphie, 'fess up!

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you that have a subconscious, that might be true.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Ralphie, 'fess up!
I was just unforgivably rude to a kid that was kind enough to introduce himself to me when I moved to a new school. Not very interesting, it just took me a long time to stop feeling guilt.

Off topic: Is it just me, or is mph contrary by nature?

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

It's true. I am.

I sometimes try to overcome that nature, sometimes not.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Contrary and wishy-washy.

(I know you agreed with me just to be contrary to being contrary. I see right through you, as if I were wearing those cool 50's see-through glasses which I ordered through the mail and waited six to eight weeks for delivery.)

[ December 28, 2004, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ralphie,
I still have major guilt over standing outside the circle of kids who were chanting mean things to a girl in sixth grade, I did not join in, but I did not help, and she was crushed. I can still remember it as if it happened today.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'm contrary by nature, but I'm also honest by nature. I also am extremly honest by choice.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

I'm a msg-loaded cheeze eater by nature, and Cheetos connoisseur by choice.

So, I get where you're coming from.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Ah. The bridges of understanding we are building today.
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
So what was the problem? That he found out that you don't like him, or that he found out that you aren't as morally good as you want everyone to think you are?
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing in what she did makes her less "morally good."
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nothing in what she did makes her less "morally good."
I agree, but I don't think she does.

quote:
Oh, the agony of not having pure thoughts at all times, and having that revealed!
I'm asking what was worse. Was it having impure thoughts revealed?
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Foust,
Both things felt awful to me. My impure thoughts being revealed I could take on myself, though. I felt terrible that I had hurt his feelings, even though it turns out his feelings were not hurt.

eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I still have major guilt over standing outside the circle of kids who were chanting mean things to a girl in sixth grade, I did not join in, but I did not help, and she was crushed. I can still remember it as if it happened today.
Elizabeth, that was just survival. I could never condemn a person for that.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Thank you, Erik, but it is still there. I wonder if she remembers it. I was always one of those kids who was not all the way popular, and not all the way unpopular.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should all tell stories about being mortified to make you feel better. And I promise you, I would win.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Prove it.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bring it on, Annie!
(I had remembered Farmgirl's, even thoug I did not remember her as the one who had the work related email disaster, but I could feel that stomach-drop all the way across the country)

Annie
Member # 295

Hmm.... where should I start? The time I asked a boy's dad to the prom?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes! Start with that!
Annie
Member # 295

Yeah, I was lame and desperate and needed a prom date so I called my friend/next-door-neighbor boy. His mom answered and I asked for him and a male voice answered the other extension (darn those other extensions) and I did my whole "I don't have a prom date, do you want to go as friends?" spiel. And, um, then it was an awkward, "I think you want to talk to Levi" and then I got to do it all again. And then he said no. And about 4 of my friends were over at his house at the time. And then I asked him to prom the next year and he stood me up.

Shall we talk about the boy who in seventh grade who I left about 15 answering machine messages?

Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
But are we talking about being mortified moments or about mortifying guilt moments. Because I don't see anything to feel guilty about in yoiur story.

I still have awful guilty feelings over something I did when I was six or so. [Frown]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Only 15?

Damn, you were a shy one, weren't you?

[Big Grin]

[ December 28, 2004, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear X,....

[Wink] @Kat.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

When I was a senior in high school, my friend and I decided that we would do a double date for Friday the 13th. So I had to get a date for that specific night.

Girl after girl turned me down. Some because they had plans that night. Some -- because it was me asking. I asked over a dozen girls out before I finally got a date.

It was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. From that point on, I was fearless. "What's the worst that could happen? She'll say no!" I could ask out anybody because I knew that getting told no wouldn't hurt me.

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

But Annie, those are stories of rejection in which you are the victim. Well, sort of.

So what do you do when you are stood up for the prom?

raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I give you an A+ for honesty directly to the person. This was dumb?
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. From that point on, I was fearless. "What's the worst that could happen? She'll say no!" I could ask out anybody because I knew that getting told no wouldn't hurt me.
Sounds like good advice for someone who has problems asking people out. Keep them focused on simply wanting to find someone to go out with on a particular night, so they are distracted from being nervous about the actual asking out process.

Of course if the girl who said yes finds out she was option 13 or 14 for the night it could get awkward...but hey, isn't all dating awkward at times

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.