FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite sandwiches (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite sandwiches
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Over the holidays I have been making two sandwiches that I enjoy a lot.

1. A turkey sandwich on wheat bread. One slice of bread is placed in the toaster oven with turkey and white chedder. The other slice is just toasted. Miracle whip, tomatoes, and lettuce are put on the plain toasted slice. Put the slices together and you have a tasty sandwich

2. A warmed pita with hummus, tomatoes, lettuce, and a little bit of fetta. Also delicious.

Anyone else have good sandwiches to recommend?

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Over the holidays I have been making two sandwiches that I enjoy a lot."

And you aren't done yet?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Well it is a long drawn out process to make a really good sandwich. [Razz]
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite (as of late) is the spicy chicken sandwich:
1. Heat up a breaded chicken patty in the microwave
2. Put a generous amount of mayonaise on a slice of whole wheat bread. Sprinkle a lot of black pepper on the mayonaise.
3. Place the chicken patty on the slice of bread with mayo, top it with a slice of white american cheese, and place it, open-faced in the toaster oven.
4. Put another slice of wheat bread next to the open faced one in the toaster oven.
5. When the cheese is all ooey-gooey yummy meltedness, take the sandwich out of the toaster oven and put it together.
6. Enjoy!

**if you happen to have it, bacon makes this sandwich even better, or, in a pinch, REAL bacon bits. Put it in between the patty and the cheese.***

This fits all the criteria for single guys in college: Cheap, easy, delicious, and pretty darn filling.

On a related note: the toaster oven is THE necessary kitchen appliance for bachelor-pad dwellers. If you don't have one, get with the program, man!

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I love those turkey sandwiches immediately post-thanksgiving with stuffing, gravy, and cranberry sauce.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite sandwich is a medianoche.

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a pannini place near us, and my favorite is the "Paris." Turkey, avocado, Brie and tomato.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Brian: I think I have the ingredients for that. When I get hungry later I might give it a try.

I usually do not make sandwiches with the leftover turkey. I usually stand in front of the fridge with a salt shaker at 2 in the morning and eat some.

Icarus: What does it have in it?

Elizabeth: That sounds amazing. Brie in anything is amazing

[ January 03, 2005, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Allegra ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
A good Ruben, of course.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Color me lazy.

quote:
The correct ingredients: 3/4 inch ham, 3/4 inch sliced pork, several slices of swiss cheese, pickle slices sliced the long way, and mustard, all on pressed Cuban bread. (Do you Americans press any of your sandwiches? Do you even know what I'm talking about? It's like a waffle iron, but with smooth flat surfaces, that heat and press the sandwhich.)

If the sandwhich is less than 3 and a quarter inches tall you are getting ripped off.

A medianoche is the same sandwhich but on a sweet roll instead of Cuban bread. While I generally love Cuban bread, I prefer a medianoche because it's not quite so crusty.

The mustard should be between the swiss cheese and the bread. Many places no longer serve Cuban sandwiches with mustard, either because Nicaraguans don't like them that way, or because they don't want to get their sandwhich presses dirty. The sad thing is that now many people don't know the correct recipe for the sandwich at all. This is lamentable, but I can deal with it.

If someone serves you a Cuban sandwich or medianoche with mayonaise in it, you should return after closing and burn the place down.

quote:
A cuban sandwich and a medianoche are essentially the same thing; only the bread differs. A cuban sandwich is on cuban bread, which is similar to french or italian only less crusty, ideally. A medianoche is on a kind of sweet bread. Many Americans get the wrong impression when I say this. It's not sweet to an overpowering degree. Nobody would confuse this bread with a dessert. Either way, within the bread is a minimum of one inch of the following: sliced ham, sliced pork, swiss cheese, pickle (sliced the long way, not the short way) and mustard. The order I gave is pretty much the correct order from bottom to top (though the two meats can go in pretty much either order). The sandwhich should be pressed in a sandwich press.

A lot of sandwich shops cheat by adding the mustard after pressing the sandwich (in the wrong place since the cheese will have attached itself to the bread). They do this to avoid getting the press messy with oozed mustard (a good name for a rock band, by the way). While I don't consider this unforgivable, some purists would disagree.

Any sandwich that comes without mustard is not authentic. Any sandwich that comes with less than a full inch of contents is not authentic. Any shop that includes mayonaise, lettuce, tomato, or ketchup within its sandwich ought to be burned to the ground, and its employees branded.

[Smile]

[Smile]

-Spreading the Gospel of Cuban Sandwiches everywhere
[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I wouldn't want to cross an Cuban sandwich purist. [Angst]
Icarus
Member # 3162

You're darned tootin'!
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Monte Cristo from The Blue Bayou.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheetz MTO:

White bread
Roast beef
Bacon
Provolone
Lettuce
Pickles
Green peppers
Extra mayo

Too bad there isn't a Sheetz for 100 miles in any direction, and I have yet to find a local deli that has all the components. [Mad] (And Subway is a substandard substitute.)

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been rereading all the Betsy-Tacy books. If you haven't read them, one of the traditions in Betsy's family is the Sunday Night Lunch at which her father makes sandwiches out of sweet onions. I was getting hungarier and hungarier reading the descriptions, so I finally went out and got some sweet onions and sharp cheddar cheese. Combined with bread, mayo, and cumin this makes a delicious sandwich, and I'm generally very anti-sandwich.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Wheat Bread
Mayonaise
Mustard (heavy)
Onions
Olives
Salt
Pepper
Lettuce
Turkey
Pickels

^_^

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop, do you like your Monte Cristos the deep fried way?

Icarus, that Cuban sandwich sounds sort of panini-esque and yummy.

Kwea, Reubens are awesome.

Edit: I realize I have no favorite sandwich, as these all sound so good. I always order something different(except for The Paris when I am at the panini store.)

[ January 04, 2005, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I love what we call "paninis", they are hot sandwiches. I especially love a panini with tomatoes and goat cheese. Yummy.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Simplicity

My absolute favorite sandwich to make to eat-and-run is:
Toasted bread,
one slice cheese
Slices of fresh tomato from the garden

No way that can be beat!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this thread was 'bout sandwiches you can make yourself, not ones you buy at some local chain that doesn't exist here [Wink] . Anyway, since it is breakfast time here in the States, I thought I'd share one I like to make for breakfast. Presenting the Steak'um, Egg and Cheese :

1. Fry up a Steak'um (or, if you're cheap like me, a generic brand frozen sliced steak) on the griddle. While it's cooking, spread a layer of mayo on a slice of bread.
2. Place the cooked steak on the mayo. Put a slice of cheese on the steak.
3. Fry an egg in the steak grease. Break the yolk, flip it, then fry until the whole thing is cooked (Medium.)
4. Put the egg on the cheese, top it with another piece of bread.
5. Enjoy!

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, ever since the first time you mentioned a cuban sandwich on this board, I have been very grieved that I'll never be able to enjoy a real one.

-----------------------------------

Lots of sandwiches are near and dear to my heart, but the one that I think about most often is from Rinaldi's Italian Deli in El Segundo, CA. Boar's Head pastrami, lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions, pepperoncinis, and mayonnaise on a freshly baked sub roll, topped with mozzarella cheese and then heated in a sandwich oven until the cheese melts.

God, I miss that sandwich. ::sigh::

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Brian -- that sounds really good!

We eat a LOT of fried egg sandwiches (what with having our own chickens and all) -- two eggs, cheese, mustard. But I will have to try adding the steak'ums sometime and see how it is

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Paninis are becoming popular in the U.S., Anna. Many sandwich shops (such as Panera and The Corner Bakery) now feature them on their menu.

I don't have any special sandwiches that I make at home, but I do like a good chicken salad, which is what I am craving today. The very best chicken salad I ever had was in the food court of the Caribbean Beach Resort at Disney. I think they made it from honey roasted chicken, which gave it a nice sweetness without the sugary taste of most deli chicken salads. I actually prefer my chicken salad on the tangy side, but this one was really, REALLY good. I sometimes roast a chicken at home and then use the leftovers to make chicken salad. It's usually just chicken, mayo, and spicy brown mustard, but it's yummy. Oh, and it MUST be served on a croissant.

Reubans are quite nice, if done well. The last one I ordered had barely any kraut or Thousand Island on it, and so was mostly corned beef on rye. Very disappointing.

Monte Cristos are lovely as well, but I only have those about once a year, if that.

This thread is making my mouth water! I was going to go to McDonald's for lunch today, but maybe I will go to Potbelly instead.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Reubens are another source of distress for me. I want to like them, but my intense dislike of caraway and sauerkraut prevents it.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

Farmgirl, my ex-bf did Breakfast Tacos that were yummy:

1. Cook a package of Jimmy Dean sausage (or other breakfast sausage) in skillet until done. Your choice if you use spicy or mild.
  2. Drain fat, and return to skillet.
  3. Break a dozen eggs directly into skillet, and scramble along with the sausage. Cook until done.
  4. Serve in heated tortilla shells, which cheddar cheese and salsa if desired.
Easy, yummy, and makes plenty.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
A good italian sub with onions, hot peppers, red wine vinegar, salami, pepperoni, and good cappacola, proscuto, or mortadello. (I'm not even trying to spell those right.) Add provologne and mozzerella and stick in an oven until the cheese is melted and the meat is hot.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I like how sandwich discussions with Mike always produce a bit of bittersweet, yearning poetry. [Smile]

The bestsandwichieverate was from Tony Caputo's in Salt Lake. It was on crusty Italian bread with fresh mozerella, tomatoes, basil leaves and balsamic vinegar. Sigh....

I also had a really good sandwich in Paris - tomatoes and chevre. Same concept, just as marvelous.

My favorite sandwich to make is this: smoked turkey and provolone with a little rosemary garlic dressing on french bread - toasted in the oven, and then you add tomatoes and sprouts (or green leaf lettuce).

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I have ever had Thousand Island on a Reuben. The correct way to have a Reuben (in my experience) is:

Dark Rye Bread
Hot (not sweet) mustard
Corned Beef
Sauerkraut
Dark Rye Bread

It is acceptable to have on light rye bread but dark is much better.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

Traditionally, Reuben sandwiches are made with rye bread, corned beef, swiss cheese, kraut, and thousand island dressing. Allrecipes.com backs me up on this. [Smile] But I've heard of enough variations that using hot mustard instead of the thousand island doesn't surprise me. I have had Reubens that were made with something other than thousand island, but I prefer the traditional.
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
The order your own from the local HFS deli-

ww sun dried tomato foccacia
chicken salad red onion
avacado
dijon mustard
montery jack

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
While growing up my family always had "Sunday Sandwiches" (named such since they were only served on Sundays)

1 slice of bread (lightly toasted on one side) place all ingredients on non-toasted side
Slice of sharp cheddar cheese (to cover bread)
Tomato Slice
Onion slices (lightly cooked in butter)
Two slices of bacon

Place in broiler and cook until cheese is melted.
Sauteed mushrooms may be substituted for the tomatoes.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

O Sandwich! my Sandwich! O truest of the true!
The empty rumbling of my stomach calls for only you!
Your bread is fresh, your onions sharp, your lettuce never wilting.
Pastrami lean and warm and rich and mozzarella melting!
But O heart! heart! heart!
O distant Italian deli,
Where out of reach my Sandwich lies,
Instead of in my belly.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Bravo saxon, bravo!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

::bows::
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::applauds::

Mike, you kick ass.

Someday I will try Rinaldi's

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Best sandwich to get from a sandwich shop:
Hot salt beef
Swiss cheese
Mustard (wholegrain)
Gherkins
... preferably on Ciabatta, but not that bothered.

Best sandwich to make at home:
Fried egg and grated cheddar
Or
Mozarella slices, tomato, basil, and pine nuts.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm shocked and appalled that no one has said a single thing about Perfectly Normal Beasts. I mean, is there another book that goes into such explicit detail concerning sandwiches?

And on a serious note, prosciutto sandwiches are pretty excessively tasty.

Feyd Baron, DoC

EDIT: And because I couldn't resist, here's probably the most light hearted part of Mostly Harmless...

quote:
There is an art to the business of making sandwiches which it is given to few ever to find the time to explore in depth. It is a simple task, but the opportunities for satisfaction are many and profound: choosing the right bread for instance. The Sandwich Maker had spent many months in daily consultation and experiment with Grarp the baker and eventually they had between them created a loaf of exactly the consistency that was dense enough to slice thinly and neatly, while still being light, moist and having that fine nutty flavour which best enhanced the savour of roast Perfectly Normal Beast flesh.

There was also the geometry of the slice to be refined: the precise relationships between the width and height of the slice and also its thickness which would give the proper sense of bulk and weight to the finished sandwich: here again, lightness was a virtue, but so too were firmness, generosity and that promise of succulence and savour that is the hallmark of a truly intense sandwich experience.

The proper tools, of course, were crucial, and many were the days that the Sandwich Maker, when not engaged with the Baker at his oven. would spend with Strinder the Tool Maker, weighing and balancing knives, taking them to the forge and back again. Suppleness, strength, keenness of edge, length and balance were all enthusiastically debated, theories put forward, tested, refined, and many was the evening when the Sandwich Maker and the Tool Maker could be seen silhouetted against the light of the setting sun and the Tool Maker's forge making slow sweeping movements through the air trying one knife after another, comparing the weight of this one with the balance of another, the suppleness of a third and the handle binding of a fourth.

Three knives altogether were required. First there was the knife for the slicing of the bread: a firm, authoritative blade which imposed a clear and defining will on a loaf. Then there was the butter-spreading knife, which was a whippy little number but still with a firm backbone to it. Early versions had been a little too whippy, but now the combination of flexibility with a core of strength was exactly right to achieve the maximum smoothness and grace of spread.

The chief amongst the knives, of course, was the carving knife. This was the knife that would not merely impose its will on the medium through which it moved, as did the bread knife; it must work with it, be guided by the grain of the meat, to achieve slices of the most exquisite consistency and translucency, that would slide away in filmy folds from the main hunk of meat.

The Sandwich Maker would then flip each sheet with a smooth flick of the wrist on to the beautifully proportioned lower bread slice, trim it with four deft strokes and then at last perform the magic that the children of the village so longed to gather round and watch with rapt attention and wonder. With just four more dexterous flips of the knife he would assemble the trimmings into a perfectly fitting jigsaw of pieces on top of the primary slice. For every sandwich the size and shape of the trimmings were different, but the Sandwich Maker would always effortlessly and without hesitation assemble them into a pattern which fitted perfectly. A second layer of meat and a second layer of trimmings, and the main act of creation would be accomplished.

The Sandwich Maker would pass what he had made to his assistant who would then add a few slices of newcumber and fladish and a touch of splagberry sauce, and then apply the topmost layer of bread and cut the sandwich with a fourth and altogether plainer knife. It was not that these were not also skilful operations, but they were lesser skills to be performed by a dedicated apprentice who would one day, when the Sandwich Maker finally laid down his tools, take over from him. It was an exalted position and that apprentice, Drimple, was the envy of his fellows. There were those in the village who were happy chopping wood, those who were content carrying water, but to be the Sandwich Maker was very heaven.

And so the Sandwich Maker sang as he worked.

He was using the last of the year's salted meat. It was a little past its best now, but still the rich savour of Perfectly Normal Beast meat was something unsurpassed in any of the Sandwich Maker's previous experience. Next week it was anticipated that the Perfectly Normal Beasts would appear again for their regular migration, whereupon the whole village would once again be plunged into frenetic action: hunting the Beasts, killing perhaps six, maybe even seven dozen of the thousands that thundered past. Then the Beasts must be rapidly butchered and cleaned, with most of the meat salted to keep it through the winter months until the return migration in the spring, which would replenish their supplies.

The very best of the meat would be roasted straight away for the feast that marked the Autumn Passage. The celebrations would last for three days of sheer exuberance, dancing and stories that Old Thrashbarg would tell of how the hunt had gone, stories that he would have been busy sitting making up in his hut while the rest of the village was out doing the actual hunting.

And then the very, very best of the meat would be saved from the feast and delivered cold to the Sandwich Maker. And the Sandwich Maker would exercise on it the skills that he had brought to them from the gods, and make the exquisite Sandwiches of the Third Season, of which the whole village would partake before beginning, the next day, to prepare themselves for the rigours of the coming winter.

Today he was just making ordinary sandwiches, if such delicacies, so lovingly crafted, could ever be called ordinary. Today his assistant was away so the Sandwich Maker was applying his own garnish, which he was happy to do. He was happy with just about everything in fact.

He sliced, he sang. He flipped each slice of meat neatly on to a slice of bread, trimmed it and assembled all the trimmings into their jigsaw. A little salad, a little sauce, another slice of bread, another sandwich, another verse of Yellow Submarine.

[ January 04, 2005, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Architraz Warden ]

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Beef, Havarti and Onion.

Mmmmm.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
At Galactic Cactus, Mike is Minister of Sandwiches. Can we elect him to that position here as well?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus:

My father was in Florida doing disaster relief (he works for the SBA), and I tried to convince him and my mom to try a medianoche, but sadly, they weren't able to make it to any of the Cuban places I found for them via the site you linked to.

------
There's so many...

But here's one that I made up one evening when I had to run to an evening activity and my mom hadn't made dinner yet.

Toast two slices of a multi-grain wheat bread -- I believe the brand was "Hollywood" or something like that -- but the point is that it wasn't a super seedy bread -- more like a rye bread without caraway.

Spread one slice with cream cheese.

Sprinkle a heaping teaspoon of caviar on the cream cheese -- this was the only time we had ever had caviar in the house -- it was the cheap (relatively speaking) brand you can buy in most supermarkets.

Open a can of kippered herring and arrange the fillets on top of the caviar and cream cheese.

Lay a crisp leaf of non-Iceberg lettuce on top of the herring.

Spread a very thin layer of mayonaisse (the real stuff -- not miracle whip) on the other slice and top off the sandwich.

Fran-freakin-tastic.

And it was one of those weird things where we had all these ingredients we rarely or never have in the house.

Hmmm. I've never tried to duplicate it. Perhaps I should.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

I like a lot of different sandwiches, but I'm pretty sure a caviar and herring sandwich has nothing for me.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

"Kippers for breakfast? Is it St. Swillings day already?"
Allegra
Member # 6773

All the sandwiches sound so good.

Except the Ruben. I cannot stand sourkraut. There were a few times in elementary school when I would come home from school and my mom would be cooking sourkraut. I could barely walk inside without gaging.

I have never had caviar. If I ever try it and discover I like it I might try it on a sandwich.

digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite sandwich as a kid:

Crunchy peanut butter, mustard (not dijon), cheese (preferably cheddar) and dill pickles.

It grosses everyone out until they actually taste it. Sadly, most poeple are not courageous enough to do that. I ate thousands of them when I was little. Now my mom makes my sandwiches.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to eat peanut butter and pickle sandwiches all the time. Never tried it with mustard and cheese though.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! A kindred spirit!

Actually, originally it was without mustard. I added that because I found it too dry.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

saxon:

So does that make you a snob or a philistine?

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Can't it be both?
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Dilettante it is, then.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Mike, why not, because you're in California, or because of the mustard?

Sorry to hear it, Zal.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.