FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite sandwiches (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite sandwiches
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
There is no sandwich but the BLT. It has four ingredients: Bread, Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato. Mayonaisse (sp?) is not acceptable.
Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually prefer my BLTs with Miracle Whip.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
Heathen.
Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
BLT w/ cheese
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Tom. My respect for you just shrivelled up like lettuce in the sun. Miracle Whip?!?!?!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Dried beef, sharp cheddar cheese, a touch of mayo, a thin slice of red onion on wheat bread. A couple of small pickles and a few peanut buttered crackers on the side.

That's what my Dad would make for me when I was kid and yanno, it's still my favorite today.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what I'm thinking of? Bacon and avacado with mayo on toasted honey-wheat bread.

Mmmm, or a torta Cubano from Tortas Mexico...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how I missed this before.

Miracle Whip?!

I agree with Danzig and Elizabeth.

----------

Here's a good one:

Turkey
Provolone
Avacado
Bacon
Lettuce

light mayo on a sweet french roll

----------

Anybody a fan of meatball sandwiches? With fixings or without?

I personally go with just meatballs and sauce plus provolone or swiss and a shot of parmesan and dash of black pepper on any type of Italian roll.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I like meatball sandwiches! mmmm.

My favorite, though, is sauteed artichoke hearts and mushrooms, with provolone cheese.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the way most meatballs they use on meatball sandwiches taste. It's a good idea, but I've never been pleased with the execution. Now, a good meatloaf sandwich makes me very happy.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
light mayo on a sweet french roll
Now, do you mean that only a small quantity of mayo should be used, or that mayo with less fat should be used? Because lowfat mayo is an offense against nature.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

*feels the need to horrify everyone*

I like light Miracle Whip.

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I refuse to eat anything except full-fat, bona fide Best Foods/Hellmann's mayo. Unless it's home-made.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate taught me of the greatest Grilled Cheese sandwich ever, with mayo, yellow mustard, garlic powder, and cojack. Sometimes I had ham, but either way it's tasty tasty.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I have to defend Miracle Whip. While it's not good -- or even tolerable -- on many sandwiches, there's a sweet and tangy aftertaste that, once acquired, is a good compliment to tomatoes and bacon and consequently perfect for BLTs. [Smile]

But, then, I also really like pickled herring, so YMMV.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Ruben with curly fries and blue cheese.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have real mayo until I was 10 so miricle whip suits me just fine. It makes the sandwich moist and does not have an unpleasant flavor or a bunch of fat. I like real mayo, but the sheer amount of calories it adds to a sandwich does not seem worth it.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Miracle Whip is an unpleasant flavor. Ick.
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
Pastrami - sliced thin, piled high
Pepperoni - sliced thin, also piled high
Provolone
Hot Deli Mustard
Hard Roll

Heat pastrami and pepperoni slightly in skillet or on flat grill. Place provolone on meat in skillet to allow it to melt slightly. Stack all on a hard roll with hot deli mustard. (Toasted onion rolls also work nicely.)

Excellent sandwich.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Tom, there is no defense. It is like placing the toilet paper roll overhand, or eating your vegetables before your mashed potatoes. Come on!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
arevoj-Why not put roasted onions on the samdwich too?

btw: Welcome to Hatrack [Wave]

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
School4ever
Member # 5575

- posted      Profile for School4ever   Email School4ever         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stand mayo or miracle whip.

That said I love french dips and Philly Cheese Steaks. Since I am not from Philly, I don't know if it is supposed to have mayo or not, but I won't eat them with mayo. The best Cheese Steaks I ever had came from this place that went out of business because it was in a terrible location. It was a sad day the day that place closed down.

Posts: 188 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
The best meatball sandwich I've ever had is the one I got at the Claim Jumper. I ordered the meatball, beacause I didn't want a lot of food, like they normally give you at the Claim Jumper.

What I got was over a foot long and the meatballs were so big I had to use a knife and fork. [Big Grin]

For anyone who's never eaten at, or heard of the Claim Jumper .

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My roommate taught me of the greatest Grilled Cheese sandwich ever . . .
Whoa. Freeze. My wife showed me how to make the greatest Grilled Cheese sandwich ever. And it's quite simple, actually. You use sliced cheddar cheese, to which you add a tablespoon or so of port wine cheddar.

You can similarly make the Greatest Omelet Ever, and the Greatest Hamburger Ever.

And if you don't believe me, you can come to my house and I'll make it for you, and see if you dare tell me that to my face.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. So many Miracle Whip haters here. *shakes head sadly* I agree it shouldn't simply take the place of mayo (and light mayo, contrary to saxy's claims, is quite good) on a sandwich, but it works well in many dressings (pasta or potato salad, f'rinstance).

quote:
It is like placing the toilet paper roll overhand, or eating your vegetables before your mashed potatoes.
[Razz] I do both of those as well.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Allegra. Onions sound like a great addition; I'll be sure to add some next time.

Thanks for the welcome, too.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Rivka, dear, you are hopeless.

Icarus, I love grilled cheese made with sharp cheddar. I dip them in Worcestershire sauce. (Lea and Perrins only, of course)

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You have to eat your vegetables before your mashed potatoes. The potatoes get rid of the vegetable taste.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, for Pete's sake. Are you people going to make me dredge up the "Way Things Should Be" thread again?
Potatoes are always eaten first in any meal, while they are hot and the butter is all melty and warm.
I might as well add here that one must eat all of one item before continuing to the next item. This is the Eleventh Commandment.

vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
French-Vietnamnese sandwich:

Vietnamese ham, barbecued pork, chicken meat on a short baguette; flavored with vinegary pickled vegetables, cilantro and jalapeƱo peppers.

Po'boy oyster loaf:

http://www.acmeoyster.com/poboys1.html

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Duke's Real Mayo ... 'nuff said.

(Although their light mayo is every bit as good and all natural as the original... with half the calories).

Begone evil Miracle Whip-minions of sandwichy doom!

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

I stand by my convictions. Light mayonnaise is an abomination.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

saxon:

Did you even have to ask?

-------
Okay -- here's a genius grilled cheese sandwich:

Buttered bread
Any type of semi-hard, non-cheddar, mild cheese (Gouda works great. Jack is okay but not as good. Maybe provolone.)
Artichoke hearts preserved in oil (and if you can find the ones that are in garlic-infused oil -- even better)

Toast in a sandwich press

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

rivka and Tom:

Miracle Whip is too sweet.

The tang in Miracle Whip is an instance where the condiment is trying to do too much. What it should be replaced with is chopped up pickles (and perhaps just a touch of pickle jouice) in pasta and potato salad (rivka) or a large kosher dill on the side of a BLT (TomD).

saxon75
Member # 4589

I think this thread proves that I do need to ask.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

All we can do is educate, sax. People have to decide for themselves if they are going to live the enlightened way.

Although it does appear that we part ways on the whole smoked fish issue. But that's a minor point of doctrine compared to this whole mayo heresy that has arisen.

-----
But on to more important matters:

My new favorite Italian deli combo is salami, copa and smoked provolone. Anybody else a copa fan? I like it better than prosciutto because it's

a: cheaper
b: not as stringy (which prosciutto can be -- even sometimes stuff that's not at the way low end of the scale)

saxon75
Member # 4589

I'm not familiar with copa. Capicola I've heard of, but not copa. If it's like prosciutto, though, I could get behind a sandwich like that. There's a little French bistro around the corner from my apartment that serves prosciutto panini that I like quite a bit.

The question I have about this sandwich is how well-balanced it is. Salami generally has a lot of flavor, and prosciutto and provolone tend to be more subtle although smoking the provolone does kick it up a notch. I could see the salami overpowering the whole sandwich, though.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"People have to decide for themselves if they are going to live the enlightened way."

Or, in the case of mayonnaise, the nonlightened way.

[ February 03, 2005, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Megan
Member # 5290

*decides to horrify people EVEN MORE*

I like a toasted tomato sandwich with light miracle whip and a diet coke on the side.

Seriously, I think if you're raised with this sort of thing being the norm, it tastes just fine to you. In fact, "normal" mayo tastes far too heavy for me.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I am not big on the classic Italian "cold-cut" grinder, but I recently had a huge craving for one, and it was so good.

I think of the Sopranos, and Tony eating his "gabagool." (capicola)

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Copa is very dry, spicy, thin-sliced, smoked ham. It's kind of a poor man's prosciutto (althought it's still expensive).

It's got a bit more kick than proscuitto.

But you're right, the salami does dominate. The other two flavors do complement it however and they also balance out the texture -- which is another very imporant aspect of sandwiches.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I have been making panini lately, and I need some good suggestions for filling. What else was in the one you had with the capo or whatever?

The one i have been making is sauteed portabella mushrooms, red onions, and sharp cheddar. Very yummy, but I want to try a meaty one.

saxon75
Member # 4589

Zal, I may have to try this sandwich some time. Now, personally, I don't care for mustard, but I could see how a little tangy mustard could complement that sandwich quite well for someone who was into it.

[ February 03, 2005, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But, then, I also really like pickled herring, so YMMV.
I have to say this - I've been repressing it for too long. Tom made me try pickled herring at KamaCon. I've been torn about whether or not to post on the "What's the worst thing you ever ate" thread for days....
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.