FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Surprized Lawyer Finds Terri Schiavo Alert

Author Topic: Surprized Lawyer Finds Terri Schiavo Alert
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
This lawyer visited Terri on Christmas Eve...

Surprized Lawyer Finds Terri Schiavo Alert

Shouldn't Michael Schiavo, the judge who ordered the feeding tube removed, and the hospital that complied with his order be charged with attempted murder and/or malpractice?

He's already stolen all her money. Why can't he just divorce her and give her back to her parents?

Grrr!!!!

Rain

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Her parents want her - why doesn't Michael divorce her and get away from the situation?
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so maybe it's not FoxNews. But still...
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Her parents want her - why doesn't Michael divorce her and get away from the situation?
because he said that her wishes were not to be kept alive like this. He says he is simply trying to go along with her wishes.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe that his stated reason is his real reason.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
He says that, but I don't buy it. I think he must have some vested interest in her not surviving.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The parents also assert Michael Schiavo's interests are conflicted since he has lived with another woman for at least nine years with whom he has had two children.
*gets pitch fork and torch* I vote we pay Michael a visit.... who's with me...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe there is some insurance money involved as well.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Stryker, Where is your tire iron?
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
What the f***? If the person is living, then killing her is murder. Why on earth is there even a debate about this?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see what sndrake has to say about this, if he's around (hint, hint).
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
why doesn't Michael divorce her and get away from the situation?
I believe that there's a pile of money involved, that he'll have to give up if he divorces her.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not so much that he has the money now and has to give it up... if she dies and he is her husband and the beneficiary on her insurance, he gets the money. If she remains on life support, no insurance payout. If he divorces her and then she dies, the insurance money doesn't go to him.

Note: I'm not sure there is an insurance policy... but I think I remember reading that there is. And if there is, that's why he's not divorcing her.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure sndrake has commented extensively on other threads, if you feel like looking around a little.

[ January 05, 2005, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget Michael has a mistress and at least one child with the mistress. I don't know the man, but I wouldn't really be excited to get to either.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

I think I read somewhere that he had already spent nearly all of the money from her malpractice suit on lawyers trying to get her killed. So there must be an insurance policy.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, hey, who knows, maybe he's getting sick of watching the woman he loved, the woman who expressed the wish to never be in the state she's been in for the last 14 years, remain in a coma.

I certainly don't know. Don't know her, Don't know him. But I would suggest that the bastard everyone here is making him out to be would probably have bailed a lot earlier. He didn't petition the court to have her feeding tube removed until 1998, eight years after she entered the coma, two years after a CAT scan revealed massive brain damage. Timeline

I flipped through a lot of websites looking at this, and I still haven't a clue. Either he's a murderous fiend who wants to run off with her insurance money and their property after doing everything he can to kill her, or he's a devoted husband who did everything he could until the doctors told him there was no hope, whereupon he's been working to carry out her wishes. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground at all, and I sure don't know which is the more accurate.

What I do know is that this points out how very important it is to have a living will.

[ January 05, 2005, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
this site has an excellent review of the legal decisions and an FAQ that answers many of the questions here directly from court abstracts -- i.e., what the ruling judge(s) said in their opinions.

Turns out that Michael seemed like a devoted husband to the trial judge.

Anyway, I don't know much about it, but it seems to me that the dogpile on Michael is probably not warranted.

And the court ruled that the "purposeful reactions" that seem to be there on video, etc. aren't repeatable or consistent. Interesting range of viewpoints on this if you ask me. I mean, you've got people going on record saying things like "she should be sitting home eating Christmas dinner with her family" and others saying that if you watch her for any period of time you'll see things that look like recognition but are just as likely to be directed nowhere as they are at any particular person, i.e. the reactions appear "reflexive." I'm not sure if they mean that last in a purely physiological sense, or if they are using common vernacular.

I'm concerned that the woman appears to have little or no cerebral cortext left. If that's really true (and even that is somewhat controversial), I don't see how she could be having anything like a controlled response to anything.

It's pretty clear, though, that she's not IN a coma. She may not have much higher mental processing power left, but she is alert...awake, etc.

poor thing.

I feel for all involved.

Even Michael. If you read why the courts are even involved in that FAQ, I think you might come away with a different impression of the man.

Maybe not. But I didn't get the picture of him as a money-seeking ogre.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.