FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Boy Scouts (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Boy Scouts
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
What do you all think?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
They don't have any cookies.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The troop I was in sold Christmas trees! Do you guys think it is a worthwhile program?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
The Americn Scouts (both girls and boys) encourage involvement in society and many other important values, yet there is not much room for leadership. Almost everything is run by adults.

-Beanny

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CookieMonster
Member # 7238

- posted      Profile for CookieMonster           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is a very beneficial program....it didn't help my spelling any though!
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
thumbs up
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a Brownie. I was jealous of the boys.

They got to learn cool knots and how to light fires with twigs.

We played the 'Laying the Table' game and were forced to dance round a giant papier-mâché toadstool.

[Angst]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Katharina works for the Boy Scouts.

I'm morally opposed to them.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently working on my Eagle project and i agree, alot of troops are run by adults, Mine however prides it's self on the lack of adult participation... they don't tell us what to do... as long as the coffee is made on time...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Looking back, Boy Scouts added quite a bit of structure to my life. Too bad both my cool scout-masters moved away and I lost interest.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I quit when I became an actual Boy Scout, but I had a lot of fun in Wheblos (I probably spelled that wrong, I haven't done it in years). It stopped being fun when my pack merged with another one and all the new kids were mean, so, I left.

I wish I hadn't now, kind of like I wish I hadn't quit soccer when I was nine, but oh well, now I know not to quit things too soon. So I still learned a lesson.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they're a myth. Face it folks, the evidence is clear--the Boy Scouts simply don't exist. Case closed.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats right, we really don't exsist [Wink] and we work for the government... we dig trenches around area 51 for service hours...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

Noemon, are you trying to say the Little-Hitler's are better than the Boy-Scouts?
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Stryker, I think boyscouts are like [Wink] the tooth fairy.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I really, really enjoyed my time as a Boy Scout, and think it was good for me (not only because I can now live in the wild for up to three days before succumbing to a lack of Internet.) That said, I'd like 'em a lot better if they'd stop conflating the word "moral" with the word "religious."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

ok, now my girl friend and boyscouts are like the tooth fairy...
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, the ARE a religious-based program for boys. Not making the religious part of it important would defeat the stated purpose of the Boy Scouts.

Not that I found religion to be a major part of my Boy Scout experiences, but they were always present, even on the oath.

I really liked it, and the only reason I didn't make Eagle Scout was my troop leader was a weenie, so I quit as I got to Life, the step before Eagle. Some of my best and most memorable experiences as a child came from scouting.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I hated and loathed Girl Scouts. We got badges in things like "gluing nuts together to make reindeer" and "listening to some lady talk about how we were going to be wonderful wives someday" while the boys got to actually learn things. I wouldn't have minded learning not outdoorsy things like cooking and sewing. I actually had the handbook, and every week I'd suggest we do something cool, and every week I'd get completely shut down. I think I felt about as important as a peice of dust at that point in my life. Interesting.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

I still know lots of rope knots, and if I needed them I could use them too.
My favorite came was going to Silver Mocassin, where we were grouped randomly, and didn't have any leaders present.

I learned quite a bit about life, people, and how things work. It actually prepared me to live without leadership in my life (Being my father passed right before that happend, and I was still a mess sometimes even at camp, although no one ever saw it.)

Because of that experience, I know I can use a compass, I know many more things about myself, that I wouldn't be able to know otherwise. For this I am very happy I was a scout, although I never became an Eagle Scout, so that is something of a sore spot.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Girl Scouts for about four years. For two of them (my last Brownie and first Junior years, I believe), I was in a troop with seven other girls. Three of us were named Carrie and none of us spelled our names the same way (me [the correct way], 'Kari,' and 'Keri'). It was weird.

I did do several of the non-Home-Ec.-y badges on my own, like the math one and the camping one.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
The Boy Scouts suffer from one main problem in my book. No one wants to turn away a volunteer.

Beyond that, its a good program. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish, in retrospect, that I had done scouting. I think I would have really enjoyed it, and gotten a lot out of it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We learned knots in girl scouts. Although not as many as I learned doing theatre stuff. I do remember, though, in third grade, a conversation that went something like this:

Leader: Right over left, left over right,– the first time this end is on top, the second time the other end goes on top.

dkw: Actually, it’s the same end on top both times.

Leader: No it’s not. The first time it’s the right end, the second time it’s the left end.

dkw: Yes, but the ends have switched places, so it’s really the same end.

Leader: No, it’s right over left, left over right.

dkw: I know that, but if I put a piece of tape on one end, it would be the end with the piece of tape both times.

Leader: It’s opposite ends. Go sit down.

[Grumble]

[ January 08, 2005, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I had that exact same conversation, I think. Square knot, right?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
For all of those people who are negative towards the BoyScouts, well thats your opinion and mabye something happend to you or along the line of that. But i am a 1st class scout and i believe that it helps children, teens, a thing to do and learn. Now adays people dont learn the things that the scouts teach. Try it out, but i do know that some troops suck, but my troop kicks ass.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if you'd have that same opinion if you were gay.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I think a lot of you were in the wrong girl scout troops. The troop I was in (same girls and leaders from 1st through 9th grade) went camping multiple times every year. And although we didn't go primitive, we never had running water or electricity on any trip. I learned how to tie knots, I learned how to light a fire, I even learned the basics of tracking (not that I remember any of this anymore). Of course we also did some girly things but it was a nice mix that kept us happy.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

That is sorta like saying " I know you are Jewish, but I wonder how good you would feel about that in a Roman Catholic Mass..."

Groups have the right to determine what their charters are, and what membership qualities they want peopel to have.

I never learned anything bad about other peole from scouting, just that there was a standard of behavior expected from me that my parents agreed with, and that helped me learn valuable skills as a child.

I don't know if their stance on homosexuality is something I agree with, but I DO resect their right to make and uphold their own rules considering they are a private orginization.

Kwea

[ January 09, 2005, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
My son is a Cub Scout, and this is my first real experience with scouting. My brother was a Cub Scout for about two months, and I was a Brownie for about the same period of time. It was boring.

*However*, I think the reason that my brother and I didn't do well in the Scouting experience was because we didn't have committed adult leaderes. That's what's going to make the difference (in any volunteer-run organization, IMO).

I have some concerns about the Scout's stance on homosexuality, too, and I really didn't want to get my son involved in a faith-based organization, either (I know, I know, the Scouts don't study the Bible or anything, but still...old liberal habits die hard), but I liked the stress on personal responsibility and character development. So I deal with it.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

My parents always made sure that I knew what other peole felt like. They made sure they stressed compassion for everyone, not just those who were like me.

There are ways, as you said, of dealing with things that they are taught outside of the home, and none of the people I was in Scouting with ever even mentioned the homosexuality issues, or allowed any sort of hate-mongering towards anyone.

Kwea

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
I was always sort of mystified that the LDS church was so into the boy scouts but wouldn't touch the girl scouts. The have a program for girls but it is entirely church based rather than allied with scouting. We did go camping every summer and I learned knotting and survival skills. I hope I get to be involved in that when my kids are older.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

Oh, Kwea, I didn't mean to imply that the Scouts individually (or even at den or pack level) would teach my son intolerance or anything like that. I'm sorry if I phrased things poorly.

[Frown]

I just *personally* have a problem with the *organization's* stance on homosexuality. And the whole "God" thing is totally my own danged problem.

The Scouts have done well for us so far, especially since Christopher is an only child. The Tiger Cubs are helping him learn teamwork and etc. It's good for him. It's giving *me* a heart attack (because it's nerve-wracking for me to be around large groups of children, and I'm the one who ends up going to the meetings all of the time), but it's good for *him*.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

As far as I know the only reason the Boy Scouts had a public opinion on it at all is that they were sued, so they had to take a very public stand.

I am glad that Scouting hs done well by you, but I think that kids are a lot more likely to learn negitive attitudes toward others on an individual basis (from idiots IN scouting, not from scouting itself) than as a policy from Scouting itself.

If you are polish, you don't expect to see a lot of Russians down at the private Polish-American club, do you?

Kwea

HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey here's a good idea, we should just abolish the boy scouts, because their stance on one topic is offensive to some.

When I was employed by the boy scouts, our policy on that court ruling was to not discuss it, that this court ruling was completely irrelevent to policy and function. (As an interesting aside, 3 of my fellow employees were gay, at least 2 openly outside of scouting.)

Its not like the boy scouts haven't lost anything because of this ruling. Police stations are almost universally not allowed to be charter organizations (I mention police specifically because shortly after the ruling in question all troops or post charter by the Chicago police were closed, which then kicked off the large withdrawl of charter organization). This ruling was the final blow to the explorer program (coed, 14-21, career or outdoor oriented).

No matter what you personally choice to believe, the organizational policy is one of tolerence.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

***raventh1 goes up to the club house, and tacks a no girls allowed sign.

You try and shut me down.

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Jexx, I think that you are worried about 2 rather minor issues in Boy Scouts.

I live in the council that the moron sued from. He was not allowed to start a new scout troop for many reason, homosexuality was only one of them. Homosexuality on it's own is usually ignored, I mean generally speaking The scouts practice a don't ask don't tell kind of thing with the adult leaders, and Youth can be as flamboyant about their sexuality as they want (this is because until they are 18, they are considered to just be "exploring" their sexuality).

As far as The God thing goes, It is kept very vague what BSA believes about God. When you take your oath, your swearing "do your duty to god". Your not swearing to do your duty to any pacific god, your swearing to do your duty to your god, whom may be completely different from the god that the boy next to you is swearing to serve.

vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Your not swearing to do your duty to any pacific god
So, we're talking about Old Testament, fire and brimstone God then? [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was always sort of mystified that the LDS church was so into the boy scouts but wouldn't touch the girl scouts. The have a program for girls but it is entirely church based rather than allied with scouting. We did go camping every summer and I learned knotting and survival skills. I hope I get to be involved in that when my kids are older.
Me too. The boys always did fun stuff like canoeing and 3-day horsebackriding treks throughout the year, and the girls had 3-5 days in the summer where we mostly rehashed first aid certification.

quote:
Your not swearing to do your duty to any pacific god
the Pacific has a god? It must make the Atlantic, Indian, and Arctic feel pretty left out.

[ January 09, 2005, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Tom, the ARE a religious-based program for boys. Not making the religious part of it important would defeat the stated purpose of the Boy Scouts.

Not that I found religion to be a major part of my Boy Scout experiences."

I would argue that, if religion is not perceived as a major part of the Boy Scout experience -- and I would agree, since that was also my experience -- that the stated purpose of the Boy Scouts is in fact rather different from the actual purpose of the Boy Scouts, and the Boy Scouts might do well to recognize their actual purpose since it is often at odds with their stated purpose. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Ooops... I'm going to bed now... I"ll fix tmy typo when i get up
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Religion was a major part of my Boy Scout experience.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Well, you're a Utah Mormon, aren't you? One of the things I don't like about the way the Mormons have gotten their fingers into the Boy Scouts is precisely that phenomenon.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My son is a Cub Scout. I haven't had much to do with it (it's mostly something he does with his dad, who was a Scout when he was a kid), but I've been very happy with what he seems to be getting out of it. [Smile]

And Tom, not only Mormons have Scout troops that are distinctly (and specifically) religious in flavor.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

You are right, I didn't know what the actual, stated policy of the Boy Scouts (regarding homosexuality and the lawsuit) was; I was just reacting on a gut level to what I perceived the policy to be. That was a mistake. However (and of course there is a 'however'! [Smile] ), I obviously didn't let it affect my son's participation in the organization, as he is a Cub now, and I am the one who is his "Akela" (parent partner).

So there.

Neener. Neener.

*grin*

I'm truly sorry if I offended any of our Boy Scouts, former Boy Scouts, and past (and present) Boy Scout employees. Not my intent, not my intent at all.

And I will reiterate that any Scouting experience is colored by the participation of the leaders, Scouts, and their parent partners. Like anything, Scouting is what you make of it.

Right now, we're making our first derby car. I'm hoping that my husband will finish it. I'll help the boy race it, but hubbie needs to help with the construction!

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Well, you're a Utah Mormon, aren't you?
No. While Ilive in Utah now, I grew up in Texas and Oklahoma. I didn't come out to Utah until I was a college student.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"And Tom, not only Mormons have Scout troops that are distinctly (and specifically) religious in flavor."

*nod* I know. But let me count my blessings that I had at least one local troop that didn't try to push a church down my throat as a child, thus making it possible for me to enjoy the many other positive elements of Scouting.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*snickers at the irony of using "count my blessings"* [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

That's why I included it. [Smile] The secular appropriation of things formerly intended to be useful and unique to religious thought is something that's near and dear to my heart. *grin*
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.