FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Presidents

Author Topic: Presidents
Saint_11
Member # 7232

- posted      Profile for Saint_11   Email Saint_11         Edit/Delete Post 
i am a big democrat fan, but when the elections came around his year i didnt realy like either pres. see in my view bush has the intulectual capacity of a 3 year old (example he said that the human FECIES is a living thing and should not be killed multiple times during a speach about abortion, and he has an iq of 90 avg.) and kerry wasnt outgoing, and didnt hav good points. (and he is 1/4 basset hound) now if u like bush im sure you have your reasons so feel free to post them because living in a democrat family i only hear the negatives. [Hat]
Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
(edit: sorry, that was unneccessarily snarky)

[ January 09, 2005, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Is judging a person’s intelligence based on his verbal miscues similar to judging their intelligence based on spelling, grammar, and punctuation?

Because I've got to tell you, this isn't the best standard for you to be advocating.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
example he said that the human FECIES is a living thing and should not be killed
Well if you had to work as much as he did i think you would do something along the line of that, and also fecies is close the fetus, so when your under such pressure from the rest of the world you do such things. Also i am getting pissed by this one kid in my grade who keeps saying that over and over. Like in science we're doing the digestive track, and fecies comes up. So the one kid just has to say example he said that the human FECIES is a living thing and should not be killed. So im geting pretty tired of that. Think of how much work he has to do. And dont say anything of how he dosen't do anything his staff or someone else does it. Because if America really hated him he wouldnt be in office right now.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
example he said that the human FECIES is a living thing and should not be killed
Well if you had to work as much as he did i think you would do something along the line of that, and also fecies is close the fetus, so when your under such pressure from the rest of the world you do such things. Also i am getting pissed by this one kid in my grade who keeps saying that over and over. Like in science we're doing the digestive track, and fecies comes up. So the one kid just has to say example he said that the human FECIES is a living thing and should not be killed. So im geting pretty tired of that. Think of how much work he has to do. And dont say anything of how he dosen't do anything his staff or someone else does it. Because if America really hated him he wouldnt be in office right now.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
and again with the [ROFL]
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally don't like George W. Bush. Unfortunately for me, more than half of the rest of the country disagrees with me, so I'm politely holding my tounge until 2008. I've also warmed to him a lot since 2002, when I felt like he might be a true danger to what I love about my country.

A good friend of mine put it in perspective--there have been many presidents worse than him that weren't able to b0rk the country beyond the point of no return.

Also, please work on your forum style. It's hard to interpret the point you're trying to get at.

EDIT: Welcome to Hatrack, Saint_11.

*hands Saint a cookie and a John Cleese plushie*
I ran out of OSC-character plushies. [Roll Eyes]

[ January 09, 2005, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: WheatPuppet ]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
in my view bush has the intulectual capacity of a 3 year old
This quote is priceless. I couldn't be such a clever troll if I tried.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

haha, cj, i didn't relize you posted this subject till after i did, o and that kid i was refering to was graham a. Cya at school.
Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
Saint, did you vote in the election?

I go to a very liberal school, so hearing mindless Bush-bashing is pretty standard for me [Smile] It's not that I particularly like Bush, I just really don't like Kerry. That made the choice easy for me.

Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
oh oh! I wasn't here to post during the election, therefore I should be allowed to post my Kerry/Bush rant now! Seems only fair, I won't get to do this again until the midterms at the very least, except no one really cares about midterms except dorks like me, so really I have to wait until 2008 for Hillary and Jeb to run.

I don't so much mind the fact that Bush looks like a spoon fed toddler. I can even get over the fact that he refuses to give straight answers to anything, calls people who disagree with him traitors, gets annoyed when any reporter has the temerity to ask him a pointed question, and answers all those questions with simplistic platitudes that aren't even always true: "Terrorists are evil, they hate freedom, they hate us, all they care about is killing us." So on and so forth.

What really gets to me about him really comes down to his issues. So many political pundits say that people vote based on personality, and I guess many people do, but it's all about the issues. I think I agree with Bush on maybe one issue, abortion, and that's it (and even then I don't agree 100% with him).

I had issues with Kerry too, but I mostly agreed with everything he had to say.

The two things that really sunk Bush for me, are the fact that his Swift Boat Veteran attack dogs kept spewing lies about Kerry, and the fact that over and over and over he kept saying Kerry had no way to pay for anything he wanted to do, but Bush never once offered his plan to pay for his utterly massive deficit and spending programs. Bush is spending money like it's going out of style, and he has no way to stop it or replace it. The man is out of control, he spends like an old school democrat, and cuts taxes like a new school republican. Sorry, but those don't mix well.

Just my two cents.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-=Locke=-
Member # 7248

- posted      Profile for -=Locke=-   Email -=Locke=-         Edit/Delete Post 
Well when Kerry attacked President Bush what was the only thing that he used, statistics. I have never heard a president in my life time use statistics to try and win an election then John Kerry.
quote:
have to wait until 2008 for Hillary
If she wins the democratic election, then becomes the president hell will run lose amongst this country. I dont say this just because she is a women, i say this because what she is doing now. She is only trying to appeal to the country. Everything she will say during the election will just be what the past running presidents said but she will pull stupid and erational stunts. I once heard President Bush say something(not exactly correct with qoute) "I don't do what's popular, i do what is right." and after hearing that quote i was all for Bush. I must say before that i was ify on voting for him, but after that i was 100% rebublican. Who knows who will become president next, but who ever it is better not let of the heat in Iraq(if the oven isnt already turned off by then).
-Locke

[ January 10, 2005, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: -=Locke=- ]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-=Locke=-
Member # 7248

O and Saint, and to everyone else, refer to George Bush as President Bush, how much it burns you to say, that is what he is.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
never heard a president in my life time use statistics to try and win an election then John Kerry.
Clinton won two in a row using statistics.

quote:
If she wins the democratic election, then becomes the president hell will run lose amongst this country.
And you say that based on what?

quote:
"I don't do what's popular, i do what is right."
Oh dear...and how do you know he really is doing what is right? The problem with Pres. Bush is that he does what he thinks is right, but refuses to ever change his mind no matter how many people prove that he is wrong. The man is unbending, which, when you do the wrong thing, is not a good thing. He doesn't do what is popular OR what is right, he just says he does, which is ironically VERY popular.

[ January 10, 2005, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, if you had to work as much as he did...
What, playing golf 42% of your time? (Based upon Michael Moore.)

It is, however, very rare that other Presidents got that far down in mispronunciations and miscellaneous other President George Wa(l/n?)ker Bush Jokes' content. There is something behind all those times dedicated to Laughing at The United States Of America's President. I'm not saying President Bush is all-round evil or entirely incoherent, just that... there are better people than he, whose competence as leaders of a world-power will tranquilise me, rather than make me schizophrenic. I think that he's a bit too much of an oaf to be a President. It's simply too dangerous from my point of view.

Again, I am not an American, nor did I ever live there, so it's not up to me, as it is up to the voters.

Jonny

[ January 10, 2005, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
in my view bush has the intulectual capacity of a 3 year old
I laughed at this too. It reminds me of my 5 yr old's quote his first day of first grade. The teacher asked each kid to make a picture of himself and note his best quality. My son wrote, "I like that I am smrat."

I love my kid to bits!

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and should not be killed multiple times during a speach about abortion
I found this funny OOC.

Also, wouldn't a ninety IQ for a three year old make an extreamly gifted child?

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
No. A three year old with an IQ of 90 would have the mental capacity of a 32-month-old. (Insofar as the distinction has any meaning.)

[ January 10, 2005, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

In the post it says he has, if I'm reading it correctly, an average IQ of ninety. It did not specify that IQ to be at age three so I assumed it meant an IQ of ninety for an adult, which isn't really that bad. Thus I felt that a three year old with the intellectual capacity of an adult with an IQ of ninety would be extremely gifted.

Also I was under the impression that they no longer use the mental to chronological intelligence ratio as the quotient anymore.

I also have a strong feeling that the poster is a fake.

[ January 10, 2005, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also I was under the impression that they no longer use the mental to chronological intelligence ratio as the quotient anymore.
This is more or less correct, because outside of a limited range of childhood, it has little meaning. (Does a 48 year old have twice the intellectual capacity of a 24-year-old?) However, for children, say 2 - 18, the old definition is still a good rule of thumb. In any case, an IQ of 100 is considered average regardless of age. The expectations of a three-year-old with an IQ of 100 are simply different from those of a twenty-year-old with the same IQ. Now, if you want to read it as a child of three with the intelligence of an adult with an IQ of 100, well, as long as you're playing semantic games I reckon you can read it however you like. [Razz]

I have no opinion on the legitimacy of the posters here, but I agree that we have had a suspicious number of similar new posters in the last day or two--and many pairs with similar posting styles who "know" each other and can thus "vouch" for each others' legitimacy). If Bean Counter is behind this, he must have loads and loads of spare time. What doesn't make sense, though, is why he (or any conservative) would craft a set of personas that can only have the effect of making republicans appear puerile and intellectually outclassed. Unless Bean Counter is not real either, but a facade intended to make republicans look bad.

It does seem like we're being toyed with, but my Ced-dar is not as finely tuned as those of some others around here, so I'll quit speculating now.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

I meant the someone created this poster for jokes. I mean, just look at his/her post about the ender's game movie on the other side.

[ January 10, 2005, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I once heard President Bush say something(not exactly correct with qoute) "I don't do what's popular, i do what is right." and after hearing that quote i was all for Bush.
-=Locke=- said... [ROFL] I cannot stop my laugh !! [ROFL]

You still trust in politician ??? [ROFL]

Sorry, I laugh a lot.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I meant the someone created this poster for jokes."

Yes, I'm reasonably sure that this poster, like Disgruntled Postman and p-Thong, is a troll.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
President Bush in an address to Japan in 2003:
quote:
America, would like to thank you for being such great allies for the past one hundred years.
President Bush in an address to the Prime Minister of Brazil:
quote:
Do you have blacks too?
President Bush at a public event:
quote:
Next up we have Sally. A west Texas girl, just like me!

[ January 10, 2005, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i didnt realy like either pres. see
Actually, only one was/is a president....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
W. Get back to France :

quote:
Interesting country but it's strange they have no word for "entreprenor".
I would like notice that 1/3 of english word come from french and this is a french word... [ROFL]
(entrepreneur exactly)

Quoted by Umberto Ecco.

[ January 10, 2005, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

I didn't mean a troll, I don't see anything malvolent about it.
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
If this person is actually pro-Bush and making their point by attacking Bush in an imbecilic way, then that is dishonest. Trolling doesn't have to be malevolent, it just has to be destructive of the integrity of the community. I only posted this because MEC bumped it. :rechecks spelling and eyes MEC suspiciously: See, they are making us question each other. [Cry]
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I'm going to do this. But I'm going to do it.

Disclaimer: I don't like George W. Bush. I don't think he is a good president. I don't think he is a nice man (a lot of this is based on the company he keeps and some of the folks he has appointed to positions in government, some more of it on the arrogance he constantly evinces in the things he says and in his personal mannerisms as seen on media coverage of him and his presidency). I didn't vote for him for president; I probably wouldn't vote for him for dog-catcher.

However : I am very uncomfortable judging anyone's intelligence based on their misstatements. His particular pattern of misstatements and mispronunciations is highly indicative of dyslexia, which has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence. My best friend is severely dyslexic, and she makes such mistatements and mispronunciations as a matter of course. She does this in writing as well as in speaking. It is worse when she is tired or stressed. She is also one of the most intelligent people I have ever known. You just have to know how to decode her.

Now, we can sit here and debate the widsom of having a president who has this problem in the context of the problems it might cause in dealings with other leaders and in the public impression he makes. We can also talk about his apparent level of intelligence and his concern with learning based on comments he has made about his grades in college and on the evidence (provided by those who knew him in college) of his apparent emphasis on being a frat boy as opposed to being a student. But that is another story entirely.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not the fact that he stumbles on his words that bothers me....
It's that... *Tries to explain*
It's how he seems to make no effort to intellectually improve himself in a way. He doesn't seem to do research, he's proudly misinformed. He brags about not reading newspapers or watching the news. If someone corrects him, he will still insist he is right anyway!
Confidence is good, arrogance is annoying, but not so bad in musicians, but in a politician with the lives of millions in his hands?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
His particular pattern of misstatements and mispronunciations is highly indicative of dyslexia
Which brings up an interesting point. What if the President actually has dislexia? Would it be wise for him to admit something like that? Would that also explain a lot of his mannerisms? Specifically this...

quote:
It's how he seems to make no effort to intellectually improve himself in a way. He doesn't seem to do research, he's proudly misinformed. He brags about not reading newspapers or watching the news.
A person with severe dislexia, I think, would tend to avoid reading, as it is often arduous and typically fruitless.
Hypothetically, what would happen if the President were to publicly admit to having dyslexia right now? I wonder how many people would shift in their seats and think, "Man, maybe I shouldn't have made fun of him so much."
So one might conceivably ask, "Why doesn't he admit it if he has a problem?"
Answer - Why did FDR hide his ailment during public addresses? Why did Abraham Lincoln grow a beard? It's because any show of weakness in the American President is viewed in the wrong light by the American public. FDR wouldn't have been a president, he just would have been a cripple. Lincoln would have had people focusing on his deep, sunken cheaks instead of his policy and speaches.
So basically, disagreeing with a president's policies and procedure is just fine. Criticizing personality is a different matter. So if you really want to convince people that Bush is a bad president, do it with policy, discourse, and honest objections rather than personal criticism. I might start to listen then.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A person with severe dislexia, I think, would tend to avoid reading, as it is often arduous and typically fruitless
Untrue.

There are different types of dyslexia. My son has it severely - but he reads fine and enjoys reading.

However, writing or speaking out loud is a whole 'nother thing. Output communication is difficult for him.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
If he admited to that, his points would go up a bit in my book from the negative...
Kind of like when I heard how nice he was to a transexual classmate. No one is completely bad or good.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton had to get hearing aids. I recall there was a lot of ambivalence about it because the Deaf community wanted him to just learn sign language.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I never knew that JFK suffered such agonizing pain all the time.
Stuff like this makes them seem more human, and therefore more interesting, and maybe it would explain all the affairs.

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn...that thing about being "proudly misinformed"...Yeah. That's one of the things that bothers me, too. One of the things that bothers me about it is that it just plays into the traditional anti-intellectualism of Americans. There has always been this sort of distrust in this country of anyone who is "too smart". I don't understand it, and it bugs the crap out of me, but there it is.

Reading and dyslexia...the friend I referred to in my earlier post reads constantly. She once told me that she had to work too hard to learn to read (she didn't read at all till she was eight or nine years old, I think, and then basically taught herself) to lose the ability, and that if she goes for very long without reading that her ability to do it starts to go away.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

What's so bad about being intellectual? As long as the person is not arrogant about it and is willing to learn, it's not such a bad thing.
Is that why OSC keeps complaining about intellectuals?
And what exactly do they mean by intellectual anyway?

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

JFK wha..? You mean FDR?

And how does being in agonizing pain give one license to have affairs?

Alcon: I'll just edit this post so as not to bump this otherwise embarassing thread. The deaf community

[ January 11, 2005, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Trisha the Severe Hottie ]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

No. I mean John F. Kennedy. He had some sort of disorder, I don't remember what it was, but he in agony half the time.
It doesn't give him liscense, having an affair is wrong, but, it could explain it. Perhaps he needed a distraction from all that cripling pain.

reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
It's very unlikely that Bush has difficulty reading. I just came across this article from Time magazine which was a (sort of) interesting, if very biased, take on the President's reading habits. Apparently, Bush actually does read books about politics and history, and can even get quite enthusiastic about them.

[ January 10, 2005, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: reader ]

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-=Locke=-
Member # 7248

Well there we go, thank you reader. Read up on what you know about some one before saying that they have an IQ of a 3 year old. I'm sure that he is a pretty damn smart guy, mabye not(in people's opinions) of what he is doing in health care, economy, etc. but his actually IQ must be good, just because he from Texas dosen't meen he's stupid, are you people calling all Texans Stupid? [Confused]
-=Locke=-
Member # 7248

Well there we go, thank you reader. Read up on what you know about some one before saying that they have an IQ of a 3 year old. I'm sure that he is a pretty damn smart guy, mabye not(in people's opinions) of what he is doing in health care, economy, etc. but his actually IQ must be good, just because he from Texas dosen't meen he's stupid, are you people calling all Texans Stupid?
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

It's not that Texans are stupid. Is Bush even Texan? I thought he was born in Maine or something...
*ignorant*
But, policy wise, some of the things he does are illogical, to put it mildly.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Vermont I think.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Clinton had to get hearing aids. I recall there was a lot of ambivalence about it because the Deaf community wanted him to just learn sign language.
What... the... F*!%?

Who exactly is this ambigous 'deaf community' you keep mentioning. It can't possibly include all deaf people, I can't believe that all deaf people are that... selfish... and self absorbed... and... there are no words for the disgust I'm starting to feel for the deaf community you keep mentioning. I mean come ON! They wanted him to learn sign language INSTEAD of getting hearing aids? How about learn sign language as well as, and then he makes the choice not them. Thats such... gah! Surely it is only a small, extreme portion of the whole thing...

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeathandTaxes
Member # 7258

- posted      Profile for DeathandTaxes   Email DeathandTaxes         Edit/Delete Post 
LOCKE, YOU MAKE ME CHOKE ON MY FOOD EVERY TIME I READ ONE OF YOUR POSTS! Doesn't anyone remember the old Loche? The one that didn't need the stupid = things? Where's the old school people when you need one? Haha!
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

For some reason I have a problem with forcing deaf people to learn to speak if it is difficult for them, but, it's true about the hearing aid thing.
Perhaps they should just let the child decide.
I did not know that about Clinton.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...latest passions is Natan Sharansky's...
Come to think of it, I met him; he's one of the most sensible pople I ever saw. He is sane, believe it or not (which is remarkable since he's both a politician, and while in prison, he was in isolation for 400 days: that's the KGB prisoning system I'm taking about), and has great mind, as well as a presonality.

This is OT, though.

He can read, by the way.

Jonathan Howard

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.