FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DallasCon: Make your reservations, please! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: DallasCon: Make your reservations, please!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!

Katie and Catherine and I decided in Dec. that we should have a DallasCon this year. While planning for WenchCon was going on, we decided (with Rivka's help [I get to capitalize her name because I met her, hee hee]) that Memorial Day weekend would be a good time for it. This can probably change if there end up being too many problems with it. That's also close to my birthday; we will be having cake. [Big Grin] If it's close to your birthday, your name can be on the cake, too; just tell me, and I'll arrange for it. [Cool]

Since Katie doesn't like all this organization stuff and I find it relaxing, I will be doing it. However, she's the mastermind behind the idea, so I expect her to help me with all the fun stuff. (hint, hint)

What I'd like to know at this point is:

1) Are you interested in coming?
2) Is that a good time for you?
3) What would you like to do in Dallas or thereabouts?
4) What's important to you that I should arrange for?
5) If you come, will you be bringing a child/children? What age(s)? (I have one of my own, and if enough end up coming, we may have a few provisions made just for their comfort and entertainment; I hear the Children's Museum is pretty cool.)
6) Anything else I should know?

Oooh, boy, this should be fun!

(Papa Moose, if you come, I had my brother-in-law, who plays piano, teach me "In the Leafy Treetops" the other night. [Big Grin] )

[ April 28, 2005, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, yay! [Big Grin]

quote:
(with Rivka's help [I get to capitalize her name because I met her, hee hee])
[ROFL] Actually, I respond to both "rivka" and "Rivka" perfectly happily -- from any and all jatraqueros.

1) Yes!
2) At least as good as any, and far better than most.
3) You left out a verb. [Wink] But assuming it was "do" or "see," I don't know enough about the local attractions to make specific requests. Mostly, I'd like to spend lots of time talking and playing games with other Hatrackers. [Smile]
4) I have a preference (but NOT a requirement) for a hotel that's near enough to the Orthodox Jewish community that I could walk to a synagogue. (Assuming there is a reasonable hotel that fits that criterion; there may well not be, and I will try to find out synagogue locations.)
[Addit: synagogue locations]
5) Probably not, but it is a possibility.
6) Thank you!!! [Group Hug]

quote:
(Papa Moose, if you come, I had my brother-in-law, who plays piano, teach me "In the Leafy Treetops" the other night. )
[Laugh] Excellent! Now the Meese will HAVE to come! [Big Grin]

[ January 10, 2005, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Ooh! Though I am far from a prolific poster, and most in the community know little to nothing about me, and in fairness I would probably be better categorized as a lurker than a member, I would still like to come.
2. It's quite possible. What exact dates are planned could change that, though.
3. No Preferences. Theatre is always good, though. Didn't I hear something about a Cirque du Soleil in Dallas soon? If not, we could go cheaper, maybe a local show.
4. Big hairy strippers [Big Grin]
5. Well I don't have any children, but if your little one needs company, there are plenty in this area, I'm sure one or two won't be missed [Wink]
6. Nope!

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
so wait, in person is is supposed to be pronounced "Rivka" [Eek!] ? Oops, all durring KamaCon i kept calling her "rivka". Sorry rivka, i hope you weren't too offended by it. [Angst]
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Sure - it's close enough I don't have to shell out cash for a plane ticket.
2) It should be alright, depending on what internship I get and when it starts...
3) I've only been there once for business, so didn't really get to see anything.
4) Cheap but nice hotel rooms?
5) Nope.
6) Nothing I can think of now...

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
so wait, in person is is supposed to be pronounced "Rivka" [Eek!] ? Oops, all durring KamaCon i kept calling her "rivka". Sorry rivka, i hope you weren't too offended by it. [Angst]
quote:
Actually, I respond to both "rivka" and "Rivka" perfectly happily -- from any and all jatraqueros.
[Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
ah, good, also i probably wont be able to make it, since Dallas is far from me, but it sounds cool, i hope you all have fun. [Hat]
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, I've already been looking into that. I had questions about what qualifies as the type of shul you'd go to, but the linky fixed that. The Richardson Hotel has kosher kitchens, so if we had it there they could cater, but I haven't checked into rates or locations. They may be close to one of those, though. Now that I have a list, I'll check it out.

As for the name, I distinguish between handles and persons I've met-- at least in my mind, and my writing reflects that. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

The Richardson has an exclusive contract with a specific kosher caterer, yes. However, given the fact that in-hotel catering tends to be expensive (and kosher more so), and there are a number of kosher retailers, I'd suggest doing what we did at Kamacon. (Assuming that I'm the only one with dietary restrictions.)

That is, let me worry about kosher food, and y'all worry about everything else. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, I'm leaning that way, yes. There's an Albertson's with a kosher deli and bakery, if I remember aright. (I've got the Dallas Kosher Society page bookmarked, just haven't looked in a bit.) I was just saying, I'm considering all options at this point.

Which is why I need to know who is interested and in what, and when. [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, the Albertson's (from the descriptions I read) sounds GREAT! [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

And it's super close to my house.

I apparently live near the Orthodox Jewish part of town; most of the temples and kosher places seem to be on this side of town.

I'm also very close to the Richardson Mosque and the Muslim butcher places. Go figure. [Dont Know]

CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
*is planning on coming*

not sure about anything other than that

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Does the DallasCon have to be in Texas? Because Texas is one of the few states I'm boycotting right now.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Why are you boycotting it, Tom?

Dallas is an easy drive for me. So if nothing comes up between now and then, I might be able to make it.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Sure we're interested in coming! I'll bring my hubby, but be warned that the reason he wants to come probably has something to do with tatoos...

2) It sounds like it is, however, we shall see as we get closer to May. I just hope that both Rick and I will be able to get the time off for it.

3) Ice skating at the Galleria! That would be so much fun, even though I'm not much good at it.

4) Lol...I'm from Oklahoma, so you'll have to talk
really slow around me.

5) No kiddies, at least not yet. We are newly-weds after all. I may pop one out between now and then! [Eek!]

6) Purple monkeys like to eat green cheese on Sunday mornings? No, nothing important that I can think of.

I'm looking forward to being 'real'!

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You're not real yet?!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes, it has to be in TX, but, honestly, Dallas isn't as bad as most of TX.

Thanks for the enthusiasm, guys!

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Memorial Day or Labor Day? Because if it is Memorial day it is awfully close to the BobnDana wedding event, and I don't think I'll be able to do both.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...it is currently being considered for Memorial Day, but that isn't set. There are a couple things that could change the date, I think: (1) Too close to WenchCon and Bobandana's wedding, and (2) Kama coming. She might, and if she did, it might be in June, and so it would be nice to have it then so everyone could see everyone.

So, if you want to come but can't in May but could in June, put in a vote, I think. [Smile]

Tom, Dallas isn't nearly as Texas as Houston is. There are only a few oil fields, and everyone doesn't have to go to the Cowtown Stockyards OR to Billy Bob's. Also, the best sushi in five states is in a Dallas suburb, and my favorite restaurant is a Spanish bistro located close to the largest gay church in the U.S. It could be okay. [Smile]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Kama is going to think the entire U.S. is always unbearably hot if she goes to Dallas in the Summer.

I'd probably not be able to attend at any time during May or June as I am going to CA for my brother's college graduation in early June. I'm not putting it as definite event on the CA jatraqueros calendar though, since I have a bunch of non-hatrack friends out there that I haven't seen as recently as most of the jatraqueros so they have first dibs on my time after my family.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
too bad we didn't do this last year... we could have used my pool, barbeque grill and Spare Oom... all now unavailible. [Frown]

KQ, if I may be of assistance in some way, let me know (the only thing that comes to mind is that my vehicle seats 8 in a pinch).

For those who are wondering what to do in Dallas:
A Ranger game, The Dallas World Aquarium, the Horse track (Lone Star Park), Six Flags Over Texas, Dallas Museum of Art, Kimball Art Museum, local IMAX theaters, and Ft. Worth Zoo could all make fun social outings which do not cost too much. Edit: DUH! the Sixth Floor Museum is here, too, of course.

For those with kids, I know a few cool playgrounds [Smile]

[ January 11, 2005, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You had a spare Oom?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
If Farmgirl's coming, then I'm coming! She's not going without me. And we might even bring blackcatwings with us if it can be arranged.

Ivygirl

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

AJ, almost two months after Bob'n'DanaCon is "awfully close"? [Confused]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I was confused, too.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
You had a spare Oom?
I did, but it didn't have a War Drobe in it...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

rivka when one has only two weeks of vacation per year, yes.

AJ

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

CM: Yay!
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm sorry, AJ. Would any time be a good time for you, or if you only get that much vacation, does it just look like you're not going to get to make it? Because Memorial day does sound like it will work for many people, and we'll try to include anyone who wants to come, but it may come down to no date working for everyone.
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'll be able to make it. [Frown]

They won't let me have such a long vacation anymore.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awwww. [Frown] I'm sorry.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I'd say go with what works best for most people. I'd love to go, but for me, that time won't work, and you should go with the will of the majority.

It's ok though, I'm sure I'll see ya'll another time.

AJ

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm sorry you probably can't make it, but thanks for being generous and wanting to come.

So, everyone else: start thinking about what you want to do here. I'll start a tentative search for a venue. If you haven't posted yet but want to come, welcome! Please post so I keep up to date on our head count. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Question to those living in the Dallas area: are you planning on staying in the same place as the others, or at home? Does it depend on what part of the city we have it in?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, somewhere down there in that general vicinity of Dallas/Fort Worth I have an ex-step-son I would like to look up (Ivygirl's half-brother). I wonder how I would go about finding him while we are there...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I will stay in the hotel with everyone, but I HIGHLY recommend getting a hotel with an airport shuttle. It depends on how many people come, but transportation is the biggest possible headache and a hotel with an airport shuttle is the best solution for it.

[ January 12, 2005, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I believe we are in agreement on that issue. [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Farmgirl, I think that would depend on how old he is, what you know about his current situation, and whether he's listed in the phone book.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Rivka, I've been e-mailing Jeff's old boss, who has apparently put Orthodox people up in Dallas before, since he recommended a place (with meeting rooms and a group discount, have to call and talk to them about other details) literally across the street from one Orthodox synagogue and within walking distance of another. We'll work on finding others, if there are any, but if not, will definitely check this place out as an option.

Everyone else: is heat an issue for you? It's not usually that hot by the end of May here (by Dallas standards), but would you prefer a lot of indoor time? Who likes the idea of the zoo? What about museums? Renting a projector and watching movies on a really big screen? Other ideas? And if you come, how long will you be staying?

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm coming [Big Grin] It depends on my finances and location as to whether I'll spend the night at the hotel or at my house.

KQ- I'm happy to help with anything, just e-mail me [Smile]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think we'll be able to make it -- BobnDanaCon is our big trip this year. Unless, of course, event "H" from our Christmas letter comes through as planned....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Will do, Catherine. Papa Moose, that's so sad. I hope you are able to come, but if not, I'm sure I'll see you another time.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I hope for "H" then as I'd really like to meet the Mooses...

I'll be staying at home.

[ January 12, 2005, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
No go for me. We're already planning a week vacation at the beach in the spring, and Mr. Opera will need another week off if we have a baby this year. *crosses fingers*

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

kq, thanks again for all the time and effort you're putting into this! [Kiss]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, you're welcome, but it's really my pleasure. Really. I love planning parties, trips, just about anything of this nature. Especially when it involves many people with different needs and wants, and I manage to get it right for everyone. Speaking of needs and wants, besides Rivka, and Katie with the airport shuttle ( [Wink] ), is there anyone else with special needs or desires? For instance, who will want to share rooms? Is anyone vegetarian/vegan? Who will have to have Tex-Mex food (gag me with a spoon) while they're here? Who will be travelling early to get a cheaper fare and need a nap in the afternoon, so I shouldn't plan anything (if that's your habit, I mean, I know it's early to know)? I've begun making charts, and it would be helpful to remember what I need to account for. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, my. It looks like our little Con will overlap with the last weekend of the Scarborough Faire Ren Festival! Is anyone interested on going there on Monday? It's a bit of a long drive, but worth it...

[ January 12, 2005, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

rivka
Member # 4859

I would love to, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to stay through Monday.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm. What if we break your leg so you can't fly back right away? Then we can keep you longer! [Wink] [Razz]
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.