FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Our Wedding (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Our Wedding
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
So, my flight was supposed to arrive at 10:20pm in SLC on Thursday the 6th.

Instead, my flight arrived at 12:35pm on Friday the 7th. Why? Because my first flight, the one right out of Manchester, was delayed for 4.5 hours because they couldn't get the plane STARTED. We spent 3 of those hours on the plane as they went through four external starters (finally borrowing the fourth from Delta and starting the airplane) and 3 de-icings. The third took awhile because the de-icer-man had wandered off to another assignment and we had to wait for him to get back.

The captain said 10 minutes. It took 30.

We arrive at O'Hare 4.5 hours late and we've all missed our connections (it's now 11:30 pm O'Hare time). They put us up in the Regency Hyatt, a wonderful hotel.

But without my luggage. I was so hungry, I was contemplating gnawing my own arm off. Instead, the hotel had a menu for a takeout place that delivered food until 5am (it was now 2am). They brought me fries and a roast beef sandwich, both of which were the best I'd ever eaten. Not that I really tasted them.

First flight out of O'Hare to SLC is at 10 am. I pay $3 for a bottle of Diet Mtn Dew at the hotel. Then I take my dry face (never found that moisturizer) back to O'Hare on the shuttle.

Uneventful flight. Arrive in SLC at 12:35 SLC time. Nathan is there to pick me up. Yeay! We head down to fetch my luggage.

They say it was last scanned at O'Hare.

And that it's still at O'Hare.

Nathan suggests checking the baggage carousel anyway. There's my bag!

We head to the hotel. Hotel has lost half my reservation because despite having Nathan call last night and tell them I'd be in today, they'd cancelled my reservation for not showing up the night before. I re-arrange a standard room. We find rivka. We head out to the government center. We find the marriage license place.

Nathan reaches into his pocket.

Pulls out an empty wallet. Money. Random cards. Bits of paper.

No license.

Nathan has lost his driver's license. We zoom up to his parents house where a search commences. Nathan's brother Zack nearly falls headfirst out of the van door trying to get the Shih tzu out of the van. No license. Nathan calls the marriage license office. They need a photo ID with proof o f birth. Nathan has a food handler's permit and his birth certificate. Nathan finally starts to breathe again on the drive back and the moment he does, the person in the right lane decides to change lanes without checking their blind spot, sending Nathan's car shifting left and into someone else's blind spot and there was nearly a Very Big Accident. *Note, he did not have his driver's license. He swore. I was proud.

There wasn't. We went back. They took his ID. We got the license. In the meantime, my sister called at least five times from her layover in Las Vegas to tell me mundane information such as: My flight number changed. They're boarding us 10 minutes late. We're still arriving on time...etc.

We drop of rivka at the hotel. We take a nap. My sister arrives and calls asking for a mofoing ride to the hotel.

My sister swears a lot.

We find her in "EFFING COLD UTAH" outside the airport load/unload.

I still haven't eaten at that point. My arm is again in danger of being gnawed off. We go to dinner at this place called The Pie. It was Damn Good. Arm is saved once again. Back at the hotel, Nathan, me, Aubrey and rivka play chrononauts (Seriously Cool Game). My Murderous Headache appears. I go to bed. Sarah arrives. My sister and I are sharing a bed (we haven't done that since we were six and ten and I ended up popping her one in the lip). Sarah nicely pressed the clothes since we couldn't get them pressed by the hotel because of my late-ass flight. As Sarah irons, we all talk. Sarah tells us that Aubrey and I fall asleep at Exactly The Same Time.

Leaving her alone to iron.

Next morning. I'm roused to get ready for breakfast at IHOP.

mmmmmmmmmm. I. Love. IHOP.

That said. We have breakfast. Get back to hotel. Go back and forth between hotel and Nathan's house. Nathan forgets shoes and socks and belt. Nathan is lucky his head is attached to his body by his neck or he'd have lost it by now.

We go and get married!

*dies*

Exerpt:

HANDS CEREMONY
Nathan and Jamie please face each other and hold hands, palms up, so you may see the gift that you are to one another.

These are the hands of your best friend, young and vibrant with love that are holding yours on your wedding day as you pledge to love and cherish each other today, tomorrow, and always.

These are the hands that will work with yours as you build your future, as you build your dreams, as you laugh and cry through life together.

These are the hands that will comfort you in illness, console from grief, and hold you tight, giving strength and courage during struggles in difficult times.

These are the hands that will countless times wipe tears of joy, and of sorrow, from your eyes

These are the hands that will hold each child in tender love, soothing them through illness and hurt, supporting and encouraging them from their first breath.

These are the hands that will help you hold your family as one.

These are the hands that will love you and cherish you through the years, and like no other, will comfort you with even the lightest touch.

May these four hand always hold one another as you build your life together. Give them strength to hold on during the storms of life. Keep them tender and gentle as they nurture each other in love. Help these hands to keep building a relationship brimming in caring, trust, and love. May these hands be your strength, your shield, your shelter, and your guide.

Addendum:

Nathan finds his license in a random pile of random papers on his bathroom counter on Sunday night.

Don't ask.

weekend wedding pics

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool, Mack (and Nate).
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, I lost my DL also. My sister had to overnight my Birth Certificate from MD. The DL turned up during the move.

P.S. Please tell me Zack is wearing makeup in that picture with Mom in the background.

[ January 11, 2005, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: Trisha the Severe Hottie ]

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. All I can say is, maybe it's like a bad dress rehearsal ensuring a good opening night? It rained on our (outdoor) ring ceremony. It never rains in my hometown during that part of the month. Never. Not for 20 years before that (as long as I'd been alive). It did that year. Go figure.

But on the upside, our marriage has been pretty good so far, despite money/job problems, a rough pregnancy, and (gasp!) meeting on the internet.

So, here's hoping the same holds true for you. (((hugs)))

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle*
that cake is so cute!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I really like the pic of you two smooching....

And the pic of Nate getting ready (maybe taken in a mirror) is great too.

All of them were great..you two look really happy.

[Big Grin] [The Wave] [Party] [Hat] [Group Hug]

[ January 11, 2005, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Great story. Great pics. Yay Jamie & Nate!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
It's just...good - know what I mean? Congrats, you two.
[Party]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the "We ARE?" picture.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Great pictures! You both look so radiant. Your account of the wedding and all the hassles you went though was great too!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That is such a screwy picture of me.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all look great! Jamie, you definitely made the right choice of attire - you look so striking and radiant.

Nathan wore the exact same outfit as Andrew, although he probably didn't have to get his at a special store for freakishly tall men.

It's so neat that your sister's name is Aubrey. One of my best friend from college's names was Aubrey before she was adopted. Her parents changed it to Melissa, but we all call her Missy. She named her daughter Aubrey, which I think is such a cool name.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! You guys look great. [Smile]

(I like your wedding bands, too.)

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely!! [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
You all look great!

How cool to have Jatraqueros around for this sort of thing...

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
You two are just glowing. Those are great family pics. Love the flowers on the cake. How long did those last, I wonder? Hehehehehe.

Mountains are pretty!!!

What are your wedding rings made of, if you don't mind me asking?

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Thanks for sharing mack and Nate!
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool pictures. [Cool] Congratulations.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(I hope they won't mind me answering, since they're offline for the night.)

The rings are made out of titanium, and are extremely cool. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
[whine]

I wanna go to The Pie.

[/whine]

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
They made me want to go there as well.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Congratulations! The pictures of you guys are so cute. One of my favorites though would have to be the "something shiny!" one, haha.

[Group Hug] [The Wave] [Party]

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know The Pie.

But, I was craving IHOP on Saturday and actually pulled up their online menu and drooled over it on Saturday. What a coincidence.

http://www.ihop.com/

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Aww...kawaii. [Smile]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

The only thing about the rings material is that it is too tough...a in ER's have probelms cutting them off, which can lead to all sorts of problems. I love the way they look, but because of my experiences as a medic (insert ugly crash photo here in your imaginations) I decided not to get them for Jenni and me.

With my luck I would lose a finger or something...lol..

Kwea

P.S.
quote:
We go and get married!

*dies*

Wow, that didn't take long.....

[ January 11, 2005, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Much awesomeness, I love Captain Flapjack! Congrats, you two.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Congradulations again, guys! Wonderful pictures, too!

I assure you that on a regular basis, the grass is much greener on the married side of the hill.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, great pictures. There are cute ones, sweet ones, and funny ones. And Jamie, that outfit WAS perfect. And your new (since August) haircut is great too. I've had trouble picturing it. Earrings go perfect. And I bet that was your new leather coat in that cute outdoor picture.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! You guys look happy!
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss]

Mazeltov! [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
The two of you really do glow. Nathan looks both devilish and sincere (how'd he do that?), and Jamie looks absolutely luminescent and happy. The hands ceremony sounds so sweet.

My favorite wedding guest? Corporal Flapjack, for obvious reasons. [Smile]

Your favorite wedding guest? Obviously, the mountains. [Wink]

[ January 11, 2005, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
This REM line came to mind immediately:

"Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people laughing"

You both glow!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
So, are there mountains in Utah?
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
       [Smile]
   [Smile]    [Smile]
[Smile]    ♥    [Smile]
   [Smile]    [Smile]
       [Smile]

And best wishes to both of you!

Btw, the pictures are great!! And shiny! And awwww...

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Again, congrats! And thank you for sharing your beautiful wedding pictures with all of us!

quote:
mmmmmmmmmm. I. Love. IHOP
me too! Did you know that the only two in NH are in Salem and Newington? [Grumble]
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He swore. I was proud.
[ROFL]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
That there is a classy looking couple. [Smile] thanks for uploading pics, you guys look great!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Loved the photos! And I also love those mountains in Utah -- I take many photos of them every time I visit that area.

I like the group shot of Nathan's family -- and the way you captioned it with everyone's relationship to Nate (including himself).

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome photos!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so happy for you little sweeties! I wish I could have been there, but I have no funds for travel at the moment. [Frown]

So, this is the first actual marriage of a couple that met at WenchCon (physiaclly, anyway - I'm counting it, and you can't stop me!). [Big Grin]

I love you guys. *heartswell*

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, are there mountains in Utah?
Yes. And don't look now, but they've got us surrounded. [Angst]

[ January 11, 2005, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, you two. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, mountains take forever to move, I think you can safely outmaneuver them.

Congratulations guys! [Big Grin]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Having grown up surrounded, I always feel kind of naked when there aren't mountains around...

They were snuggling and eyeing eachother and arguing at our house. It was cute.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

When I first moved to Utah, I felt slightly claustrophobic because of the mountains. I always felt like they were going to fall down on me.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Much cuteness.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, somebody has to say it..

Y'all look WAY TOO YOUNG to be GETTING MARRIED!!!
All that giddy happy love stuff.

Well, all I can say is I hope you know what you're doing. If you're not careful, you'll fall in love for the rest of your life, and then people will say "Get a Room!" when you're old and walking hand-in-hand in the grocery store...
[Big Grin]

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.