FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Enough fluff!

Author Topic: Enough fluff!
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I know these things go in cycles, but really, this is ridiculous. So let me try to spark some debate with this link. Is the CIA now kidnapping German / European citizens on the grounds of their looking vaguely Arabic? And if they are, what should Germany and the EU do about it? In the old days, we'd have sent in the gunboats over this. An extremely stiff note of protest and a demand for compensation would seem to be the least possible reaction.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
::pat pat::
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the excess of fluff.

I'd like to see the outcome of that investigation, if what he says is true, I'd really like a full, independent investigation on what's happening overseas. These stories are starting to rack up and I'll say, with each new allegation (true or false) it becomes just so much more dangerous for any American that is abroad, and our credibility as a nation falls so much more.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried to find a more credible source for some of this information. One site pointed to the International Committee of the Red Cross as having stated that it suspected the US was hiding prisoners in secret detention facilities.

I wend to the ICRC website and couldn't find anything at all about this.

ABC News has some confirmatory reports, though:

Human Rights Group Accuses US of having secret detention facilities

Rumsfeld orders secret detention

I'll withold judgement on this, but if it is true, then some people in this Administration, or at least in our armed forces and in our intelligence arms are guilty of serious international crimes.

I hope it's not true.

At the very least, the people we detain have the right to visits from the Red Cross.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this link is from the International Red Cross. It mentions several times "undisclosed locations" where prisoners are detained.

Ugh.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I don't usually trust the Guardian as a source but the number of reports of detainees in undisclosed locations is indeed troubling.

KoM's post is slightly misleading because the article states he was detained by Macedonians and didn't see any Americans for a month or so. Other than that, I'm not in a rush to defend any actions of our govt's agents. [Frown]

Let's hope the Guardian (or the Germans) have top notch investigators.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.