FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Entropy of the speed of light = earth 10,000 years old.... (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Entropy of the speed of light = earth 10,000 years old....
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As the LDS church already posits a physical heaven that is undetectable to (living) science
Does it? Is it? I dunno. There isn't any "doctrine" on it, but why would the "LDS" heaven look different than any number of celestial bodies? While it isn't doctrinal, many LDS believe that God lives on a planet of some sort.

As for me, I don't really have an opinion on the matter one way or the other.

On the bizarre observations of our universe, just because I say it "sounds like hogwash" to me, doesn't mean I believe it is hogwash. I don't believe one way or another, since I am a "science agnostic". But that is the sort of reaction that many non-believers have towards a God-created universe. It makes me wonder why.

Certainly many scientists "contradict" each other in their "faith" in different theories in a variety of sciences. Some favor one, some another. They can be quite fervent about it--even unshakable. All this dispite the same evidence being available to all. I am just drawing parallels. [Wink]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Lan Party at Skills place!

[Party] [Party] [Party]

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So remind me again, when was the last time religious doctrine found itself backed up by evidence? The track record of churches is zero in this matter.
King of Men.

I read something a few years back that claimed that the timing of the bris, or curcumcision, at 8 days (?) after birth, is near-perfect timing to allow the wound to heal. I think because of the state of an infant's immune system.

And kosher laws similarly--if you store meat and dairy products together, both spoil faster. Important info before cooling and canning.
quote:
...the objects in the universe moving away from each other, but that they are moving away from each other at exponential speed. Has anyone else heard this? Why haven't we heard more about it?
Beverly, I have heard of this. I haven't dug into it, but I think the data may be incomplete and premature. Why haven't we heard of this? Those who are interested in cosmology (not many) have. It brings a collective yawn from most folks.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd point out that any physical/medical benefits that come with brit or kosher laws are not the reason. Merely side benefits.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Beverly, I have heard of this. I haven't dug into it, but I think the data may be incomplete and premature. Why haven't we heard of this? Those who are interested in cosmology (not many) have. It brings a collective yawn from most folks.
In otherwords, most people are skeptical? Too weird to be believed? Or is it just not amazing to anyone else? I was pretty amazed.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Like I said, I haven't studied it. I was surprised to hear about it, but coming along with or after dark matter and dark energy, it's just one more weirdity.

I think it's amazing that we are still fairly clueless about dark matter and energy.

[ April 12, 2005, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
ACtually "dark energy" is the current abstract concept that describes the increasing of expansion. What "dark energy" is remains unsolved (though there are theories).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Thanks for clarifying, Bok. I thought they might be related, but not that one was an explanation for the other.

Actually, I only heard about dark energy through Hatrack, not too long ago.

[ April 12, 2005, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Space Mormons

And now I think our friend Sid Meier wants his speed-of-light thread back.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Ya, darn Tyler (Alex brown) for changing the subject. [Cry]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

I want my thread back! You people with your theotical views on weather or not god is lying to us and hitjacking my thread... *mumble* *mumble* [Grumble]
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
And why should your thread be any different? [Smile]
Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

is was originally my thread, last time i checked in forum charter of rights my thread is what I want it to be, you people stealing my thread by jingo. Either way... WHERE ARE THOSE COOKIES!!!!!!!! [Mad]
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I only had a couple.

Ask rivka....

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
apparently light was 8x faster in King David's day
Hang on...

λ = c / f

If the human eye has not changed (and how could it in just 3000 years?), then the frequency of the visible spectum would have been eight times what it is now.

I wonder if young King David had black light posters in his bedroom.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

i think its believed that while c was faster our perception of time was different, to us 50 years is 50 years to them its the same but to physics its different. What I'm trying to get at is is it so??
skillery
Member # 6209

Gold would have looked black since it's not a very good reflector of UV.
Morbo
Member # 5309

Sid, if you can believe light was faster back then, without evidence, then you can believe physics was different back then, without evidence.

Or, no, it's not so, AFAWK, at least I haven't seen anything that supports it except for desperate hypotheticals from young earth creationists.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me jsut note that if you change lightspeed that much, the human body collapses from changes to chemistry. Atom binding energies would be completely different. So, short of constant divine intervention to change the physical laws in accordance with lightspeed, this is impossible.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

yesss... solwly reclaiming my thread...
skillery
Member # 6209

And beings that were intended (or evolved) to cook with fire would have needed to be able to see at least a little red and orange. "Mom, I burnt my feet again." "Well dear, there might be hot coals there where you're standing."

Or did cooking fires back then give off UV? Nice tan dude!

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.