FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why don't we have programs to help men be more represented in daycare and teaching? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why don't we have programs to help men be more represented in daycare and teaching?
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I can't imagine saying I wouldn't let a man change my kids diaper. We have men that work with our young kids at church, in fact it's encouraged. For the children's church, they ask for couples to volunteer, so normally it's taught by a husband/wife team.

I looked into several programs that would have helped pay for my college costs, for people wanting to become teachers. To qualify, I would have to want to either teach math or science (which I don't) or be willing to teach in inner city schools.

Forgive me, but I don't want to teach in an inner city school. For one thing, it would put me so far away from my own children, if they needed something and it was an emergency, I couldn't very well get to them quickly. For another, I don't want to deal with the traffic and the long drives. Thirdly, and most important, my husband said he woulnd't allow me to work in one of those schools unless I agreed to wear a bullet proof vest. They sound way too uncomfortable to wear all day.

And he's coming at it from a position of having to go into those schools often as a paramedic and patch up bullet and knife wounds, so one can understand why he wouldn't want his wife in that environment.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Lemme see... A typical daycare worker makes less in wages&benefits than a fastfood chain worker. With no way to increase earnings unless the daycare manager quits, is fired, or dies -- and the owner then decides that the worker is qualified to run a business.
Yep, just what an aspiring breadwinner wants as a career.

[ January 20, 2005, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
aspectre, the guy also has to be qualified to be a daycare manager by state law. The qualifications for just being a daycare provider are a lot different than being the manager of daycare facility. I think here the person must have a bachelor's degree in early childhood development. I'd have to look it up, but I used to be on the review board for the daycare my daughter goes to. When the manager quit (she was moving to Seattle) we ended up having to close the daycare because we couldn't find anyone qualified and willing to take the job. Happy ending to the story though...the woman we wanted to take over management (originally the asst manager who was qualified but unwilling) agreed at the last minute because ownership of the daycare facility changed hands. She still manages it and is better even than the one who left.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
The difficulties associated with teaching in inner-city schools are exactly why they have to offer incentive programs to get people to work there. I hope you don't feel bad or defensive about the choice you're making not to do so, Belle -- it's just an incentive, and you certainly shouldn't feel forced to take it if it isn't what you want for your life right now.

I can see where the incentive might be sufficient for someone who doesn't have small children dependent on them, or is otherwise more predisposed to take the risk. It isn't right for your life, though, and that is (should be) a perfectly reasonable and respectable decision to make.

[ January 20, 2005, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not willing to do it either.

They need teachers, but it's not a challenge I personally want to face.

[Frown]

More power to those that do.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Coccinelle.

Added: Her work stories are much more exciting than my work stories.

[ January 20, 2005, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
some of the rural schools that are in desperate need of good teachers are within easy driving distance of me, and I would certainly be willing to take a job there. They have some of the same problems the inner city schools do, the low test scores, poor parental involvement, etc. Just not the risk to life and limb.

It's really sad, I have nothing against working with troubled kids, I just don't want to get shot. [Frown]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.