FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Social Workers & Folks from Minnesota, Help, Please (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Social Workers & Folks from Minnesota, Help, Please
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about what I'd like to do in the far future, when my children (who haven't been born/adopted yet) are in school full-time. I've had lots of jobs, but nothing where I've felt like it was my calling. Lately, I've been considering social work.

I'm in a very lucky position. I don't have to work to support my family and I can take college and grad school classes for free. I don't need to earn a lot of money in any career that I choose.

When I was working at the online education company, the part I liked best was working directly with students and parents. I seemed to have a real knack for it and even when our company expanded and I was promoted to VP, I was still called in for difficult cases (and considering that 1/3 of our students were juvenile delinquents or very sick kids, difficult is an understatement).

I don't know if I'd like to do case work for a county (or city, etc.). I think that I'd like to specialize in hospitals or schools. I definitely want to work with children and families with children.

So, I know that there are quite a few social workers here and I'd like to know about y'all's education and experiences.

Also, there's a very good chance that we might be moving to Minnesota this spring. I've never been that far north or west and I'm wondering what it's like.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Cold.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard Garrison Keillor say it was -53 there this weekend.

Yeah, no thanks. [Smile]

As I was going through undergraduate school, I kept changing my mind about what I wanted to "do with my life". I kept leaping these conclusions about what career I should choose based on a tenuous connection with something I liked or was good at... I'm good at spatial reasoning, so everyone said I should be an architect. I'm good at problem-solving, so I thought I should be an engineer. I like sitting in front of a computer all day, so I was going to be a programmer for a while. I like promoting Apple, so I wanted to work in their marketing department.

Finally, though, I sat back and realized that, hey, I was in college, didn't have any major responsibilities in life, and was reasonably quick at picking up new skills. So, arrogant little sophomore I was, I decided that I should be able to do anything that I wanted, since all that stood between me and any career was some education. Well, except for maybe professional football. [Big Grin] So I decided to find something that was really FUN to do, not just something I could stand to do for the rest of my life.

I don't know if social work fits that bill for you or not, but as long as you're in the enviable position that you are, I'd really take some time to consider what it is you really want to do... because really, you can do anything. Except professional football. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Garrison Keillor exagerates.

I love Minnesota. Even though I'm one state south now, I still think of Minnesota as home and want to move back eventually.

Will you be in the Twin Cites, or elsewhere? That makes a huge difference.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
That was either a rebroadcast or he was exaggerating. It was not -53 last weekend, and really it usually only gets that low when you're counting in windchills.

Anyway, I live in MN, and I love it, but more information is needed to answer your question. Specifically, what part would you be moving to, and from where, exactly? I can't remember where you are. Would you be moving to the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St Paul) or "outstate" (everywhere else?) Or Duluth or Rochester, the latter probably only if Mr. M is a doctor, which I can't remember, either?

It does get cold here, and we do have long winters. But the summers are beautiful, we've got great parks, fabulous restaurants, and pretty good shopping... I seem to remember that's important to you. [Wink] Also, I have heard other people who move in say that natives are somewhat insular, and it is hard to feel like you fit in. (There is an ex-pats support group that meets regularly to socialize and make fun of their neighbors. [Smile] ) But I think a lot of that depends on you... my good freind Claudia has only lived here a year, and she has plenty of friends and seems to fit in fine.

So, tell me what you want to know, and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions. [Smile]

[ January 25, 2005, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it's actually quite warm here during the summer. It got up to a hundred for a few weeks in the dog days a few years ago. And the -15 in the city weather that I saw a week or so ago is the coldest I can ever remember it being. That doesn't say much since I'm only 19, but still. You should come and be part of me and LJ's clump!!!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Ah, yes, I'm only seeing -20s when I check the reports on Wunderground. [Big Grin]

I bet their snow removal system is pretty darn good, though. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

It's 25 degrees right now. Above zero. The low was 18 overnight, and the high is forecasted to be 37. [Razz]

We have about 8 inches of accumulated snow, and yes, we do have a very good snow removal system.

I'm leaving for work now, and I'm trying to cut down my hatracking during the day, so any further debunking of your spurious comments will have to fall to the others or wait until I get home. [Taunt]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Spurious!! Why, I never!!

If I hear it on the radio, it must be true! [Big Grin]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M, I think you have exactly what it takes to be a good social worker. And I don't just SAY that. I mean it.

I didn't know what I wanted to do until...well, recently. I've done social work since I graduated from college. Undergrad, I majored in English, and took a number of classes in social work and psych. To really do the stuff you want to do, you'll need a Masters in Social Work. These programs take two years full-time. You'll do two internships, about 16 hours a week the first year and 24 hours a week the second year, both out in the field. For classes you'll learn how to do direct practice, learn theories, etc. There will also be a research and stats component (this is what shifted me over to wanting to get my PhD in neuropsych, among other things).

When you're interning, you'll be able to work in the areas you think you'd want to work. I had the added bonus of being able to work in the field at a bachelor's level before starting my MSW. I've worked in a group home as a direct support counselor (going through the day to day activities with the kids in the home) and as the home's case manager (connecting the kids with services outside the home, running groups, and dealing with the heavier issues). My last job I worked in the field was as a case manager for a mental health agency. This position was outreach and I took one client at a time out into daily life activities where he or she was having difficulty.

One kid told me, "You're pissing me off!"

I said, "I'm paid to piss you off."

He had no reply to that. [Big Grin] Because he knew it was true. I was paid to put these kids in situations where they HAD a difficult time and help them solve their way through it so they could be successful on their own.

I now realize that my larger interests are in research and specifically brain research and practice (consulting on cases as a neuropsychologist) and this will also bring in more money (which is always good) and allow me more flexibility in terms of schedule and different activities (I can consult, research, teach, etc).

Social work is hard. It's hard because we're paid crap and not really valued in society. However, it's rewarding to work with those in need, and see those people grow so that they don't need us anymore.
Any questions?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

If dkw, ElJay, and Ryuko were all bred in Minnesota, then that's enough to recommend it.

Andrew is a doctor of philosophy, in philosophy. We would be moving to St. Cloud, which I understand is about an hour outside of Minneapolis. I'm a little worried b/c there's no synagogue in St. Cloud. Of course, I don't know the names of the outlying areas, so it's possible that there is one nearby.

mac, I think that's the nicest thing that anyone has ever said about me.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

There isn't much in the outlying areas. If there's no synagogue in St. Cloud, you're probably not going to find one closer than Minneapolis. [Frown] Unless one of the little rural towns in the area is a mainly Jewish settlement, but I don't know of one that is.

Would Andrew be teaching at the Unniversity of Minnesota?

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Not in St Cloud, he wouldn't. St Cloud State University... the University of MN and MN State University systems are different, I believe. [Big Grin]

And I second what Dana said... St Cloud is basically a college town, and surrounded by farming communities. It's getting so a lot of people actually live there and commute to Minneapolis, but it seems awfully far to me. It might be an hour to the northern suburbs, but it's not really an hour to Minneapolis, I don't think.

Not to say it's not a perfectly delightful place. But if you're moving from a metro area, it would be a big change.

Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

- posted      Profile for Homestarrunner   Email Homestarrunner         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, there's a very good chance that we might be moving to Minnesota this spring. I've never been that far north or west and I'm wondering what it's like.
I grew up in Duluth, Minnesota. Despite the cold winters, I always think of it as warm and comfortable. We visited my folks in Pequot Lakes (near Brainerd) this summer and took a drive up to Duluth. It was beautiful--winding through little towns and past many lakes. Very cheerful. People tend to be pretty friendly there.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Oh, right. I was thinking UofM had a St. Cloud campus. It's not that far, though. I used to pass it on the way to St. John's/St. Ben's and I don't think an hour is too far off. (Unless you're leaving Minneaspolis between 4 and 5pm on the Friday of a holiday weekend.)

[ January 25, 2005, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
MrsM- I went to the Orthodox Union's web site and did a search for synagogues. It showed 3 for the whole state. Here's a link to the search results.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*blink* There are way more than 3 just here in town, but I guess I don't know if you are looking for a specific type of synagogue. If you're saying there are just three of that type, I'm sure that could be the case, but otherwise that web site is misinformed.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess those are synagogues that are members of the Orthodox Union. The list could also be outdated. I'm not sure how often they update it.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Thanks, Derrell - that was so kind of you. I had checked that out. Sometimes some of the smaller congregations get left off lists like that, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I grew up in an area where the closest shul was 2 hours away, so I can deal. There's a Jewish community on campus, so we can always daven there.

Andrew would be teaching at SCSU. His interview is Monday.

I had a friend in college who was from Minnesota. We compared notes on our home states and he said that MN is so far north that you're south again.

It seems like there are a couple of really nice ranges there, so that's good, too.

Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It seems like there are a couple of really nice ranges there, so that's good, too.

[Confused]

You're planning on doing cooking?

[Confused]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, I3.

I think she means pistol ranges.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Belle's right. I was talking about pistol/rifle ranges. I'm a target shooter and I carry a gun for personal protection.

It's funny how peoples' different perspectives come up. [Smile]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
That is one of the things that makes Mrs. M one of my heroes. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

quote:
We compared notes on our home states and he said that MN is so far north that you're south again.

I don't know if that's a compliment... [Razz]

But as in many southern states, the urban areas are vastly different than the rural areas. And yes, we have many target ranges for many different purposes. Also, things to kill if you're into that sort of thing. Though now I think of it, I don't think that venison is kosher. (thinks) No, definitely not. (shrug) Oh well.

As for synagogues, I don't know. I know there's one near my house, but that's quite far from St. Cloud. Though I'd love to have more hatrackers around. [Smile] And I'm flattered that you mind my opinion so much. [Blushing]

However, about gun carrying, it's legal to carry a concealed handgun except in areas that have signs that disallow it. If you do move here, it would be best to familiarize yourself with those laws. But I suppose I don't have to tell you that. [Smile]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, k. I later thought that might be it, but...

Yeah, we have those here. I think in Saint Cloud you'd have better access than in the city, too.

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If it's an hour between two cities, it's probably easy to find a place 1/2 hour from each city.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*cough* With a permit, of course. There was a big flap about 2 years ago when we approved a new handgun law that made it a lot easier to get a permit, which caused a lot of businesses to post signs forbidding guns on the premises. Although I have mixed feelings about the law, mostly I think the signs are silly, but at least in the Twin Cities you'll find a lot of places that have posted that you can't bring your gun inside. Actually, in St Cloud, there will probably be less of that. It was the "liberal metro area" that had the biggest problem with it.
ElJay
Member # 6358

And Dags, this ain't the east coast. Unless she wants to live on a farm or in a town without it's own grocery store, she's probably not going to find something halfway in between.
dkw
Member # 3264

quote:
If it's an hour between two cities, it's probably easy to find a place 1/2 hour from each city.
It's 65 miles between Minneapolis and St. Cloud, and Monticello is almost exactly halfway between. But if I were you I'd rather live in the college town and drive 65 miles to get to "big city" stuff than live in the tiny town.
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

Monticello is getting pretty well built up. It's not far at all from Monticello to Maple Grove, which has been booming in the last five years and now features a HUGE retail zone with all sorts of amenities. There's even a decent Irish pub, or so I'm told.

From Monticello, it would be at most an hour drive to the Orthodox community in Saint Louis Park. Although, as Orthodox, you can't drive on Shabbat, right? Or are you not Orthodox? You used to drive two hours... Now I'm confused.

ElJay
Member # 6358

*hee* I was just coming back to suggest Monticello if you wanted to go that route, although I was going to use this link. I like the pic on dkw's, though. And here's some statistical type information. It's actually 39 miles from Mpls and 27 from St Cloud, according to Mapquest, and I seem to remember going to a concert there a couple of years ago at a very nice restaurant/nightclub.

Clearwater might be someplace to consider, as well... it's a town of about 900 12 miles out from St Cloud.

One other thing... I hate to bring this up, but you should probably check into it. There was a big to-do in the last year or maybe two about some pretty bad racial discrimination going on at SCSU. It was aimed at primarily at the black population, which is pretty small. I don't remember too many details, but I think it was a combination of student crap and unfair working environment. You should probably check with the campus Jewish community and see if they felt included in anyway... I don't remember reading about anti-semitism at the time, but eyes open.

ElJay
Member # 6358

If we're talking about retail, in between St Cloud and Minneapolis si also the Albertville Outlets. Just so you know. [Big Grin]
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
As a Minneapolis resident I would have to recommend living in the city itself. I love S. Minneapolis. It is so much more diverse then anywhere else in the Twin Cities. Plus, in Minneapolis there are lots of lakes to play at (biking, walking, jogging, skating, sailing, etc.), lots of great places to eat (something other then suburban fare such as applebee's, fridays, and other such chains with their marginal fare), great live theatre (more live theatre here then NYC), etc.

Sure. The weather for a large part of the year is inhospitable, but there plenty of things to do around here. As for things to do in St. Cloud or the outer suburbs? [Dont Know] but I would NEVER live in the suburbs.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

(But if her husband is going to be working in St Cloud and she is a homemaker, it doesn't really make sense for them to live in Minneapolis. I, of course, love South Minneapolis as well. But that's an awful long commute just to live someplace cooler.)
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
The mental health professions are filled with many people who genuinely desire to do good. Sadly, many do no good and many do harm. Yes, there are many who do a tremendous amount of good, and many who do okay, but those who do poorly feel completely justified. They don't lose any sleep at night over the damage they are doing, because they are sure they are doing right.

Here is the most common scenario: a woman (or man) herself was abused in some significant ways as a child, which instills in them a natural empathy, understand, and desire to help. So they have "issues" that bring them into the field. You know what, that is fine! Everyone has "issues" of some sort, and that person's own history may be an asset for them in their career.

When it isn't developed into an asset, though, this is what has happened: they went through a graduate program and training that taught them techniques and overviewed theories, but they never internalized the theories well so all their work can be consistent and deliberate (vs. reactive in some way related to their issues). They also didn't learn to deal with their issues by intensely dealiing with "person-of-the-therapist" issues. Your training, I think, should also help you identify your own issues and how they play out in the treatment you provide.

BTW, don't become an "eclectic" therapist. That just means you don't really have an articulated guiding theory that guides your choices as a clinician. "Integrated" implies that while you pick and chose from various treatment approaches, you have an overall idea of why you are using a certain approach at a certain time.

Example: therapist who work with domestic violence. Some are really good, but most often you have a man or woman who has been abused. Their graduate program did not help them address "person-of-the-therapist" issues, so their own emotional struggles play out in their work. They punish the offenders and feel justified about it.

The irony is that the therapist are being abusiing power and control with those clients in the very ways we are teaching them (on paper) not to be abusuive. I think this is the rule, not the exception. Working with the victims, they are loving and supportive, but enable them to stay stuck as "victims" (like by encouraging passive-aggressive behavior) and never help them move on to overcoming the abuse to become "survivors". Generally speaking, if you don't have a good handle on your own issues, they get you to do stupid things.

So whether you chose Social Work or another mental health profession, I would be concerned about quality of training. We often do not have a lot of choice about which program we get in to. If you do have a choice then go to the best program you can. (And what counts as the "best" program depends on what you want to do: agency work, child protective services, counseling/therapy, and so forth). Social Work is a very practical degree because there are a lot of people in the field, which makes them a strong political body, which means you have a lot of doors open to you in terms of employeement. In terms of clinical work, though, you need to seek out on your own the best trainers/supervisors available. (what makes one good is another discussion).

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a Chabad of New Hope, but that is only a tad closer to St. Cloud than Minneapolis is.

As far as synagogues in Minnesota go, Mavensearch lists 31, 12 of which are Orthodox (or Chabad, which counts as Orthodox in most circles [Wink] ). However, almost all are in the Twin Cities or Rochester.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M - I highly valued my volunteer work and my internships in the social work field. My experience as a professional has been valuable in other ways - primarily in the way of bringing direct service experience to bear on policy issues -

However, understand that as a direct service provider, you will be tightly bound by agency rules, state rules, federal rules, conflicting standards, etc., and that can get pretty dang old after awhile -

Just a thought . . .

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Just for the record, it was over 40 here today and sunny. Beautiful winter day.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

And now the weather is perfect for snowman-making!!!
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
I was mostly raised in Minnesota and so far its the top State in my opinion. Lots of things to do in the Twin cities and though the cold can be bad sometimes its really not that awful. That and I used to get to St.Cloud from Maple Grove, where I love ( northern suburbs), in like 30-45 minutes. Its almost exactly 30 minutes from Maple Grove to Minneapolis. That and there is lots of shopping/stuff to do in the nurthern burbs. I know that Maple Grove, which you will end up driving through, has tons of shopping and dining.

That and your closer up north to all the good woods and fishing spots. If you like the outdoors you should love it. Plus who can't have fun at a lake? Plus as an odd note the Twin Cities was named the most literate metropolitan area last year. I think you will find the cities nice as long as you take a look around and see what is all offered. Plus for the most part Minnesotans are rather nice people, even if we have that odd northern accent.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Thanks, everyone! A couple of things:

I was raised as a Conservative Jew, when the main difference between Conservative and Orthodox was a disagreement on oral law. The Conservative movement has since made some changes that I disagree with, so I decided I'd be more comfortable in an Orthodox shul. Unfortunately, there is no Orthodox shul in Roanoke, so we attend the Conservative one. It is actually much more like what I was raised in, so I am very happy there. I am not as observant as I would like to be. Andrew was raised in a very secular environment (although he had his Bar Mitzvah in an Orthodox shul) and it's hard to be observant when your husband is not. Andrew is becoming more observant, but it's a slow process. I don't want to push too hard b/c I want him to come to observance on his own.

Observant Jews do not drive on Shabbat. Andrew and I would most likely attend services at the university. However, I will drive on Shabbat if it is the only way I can get to shul.

We have heard about the racial tensions at SCSU. There have also been some charges of anti-Semitism. However, it does not seem like it's an oppressive environment and as long as we're aware of it, we should be fine.

BTW, venison is kosher.

I looked up Minnesota's gun laws as soon as Andrew got his first interview there. There is an amazing site that tracks gun laws - http://www.packing.org/. Of course, I would get a new permit ASAP. It's not unusual for there to be "gun-free" zones in cities and suburban areas, so I'm used to that. I try to avoid these areas as much as I can b/c I just don't feel safe without my weapon. I don't hunt, I just shoot targets.

I would never live in a city. We'll probably live near campus until we buy a house. When we finally do buy a house, it will be in a rural to semi-rural area. That's how I grew up and it's the kind of lifestyle I want to raise my children with.

The cold doesn't bother me - I honeymooned in Iceland in November.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
BTW, venison is kosher.
If you don't mind a slight derailment, is venison from a deer shot by a hunter Kosher? Or would it have to caught alive and slaughtered in the correct manner?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Huh... I thought it wouldn't be, since it has a cloven hoof... But I guess what do I know from kosher... >_>;;
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Dagonee, I'm pretty sure it would not be kosher in that circumstance. rivka? Ela?

Ryuko, according to the laws of kashrut, we may eat any animal that has cloven hooves and chews its cud.

quote:
Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is wholly cloven-footed, and cheweth the cud, among the beasts, that may ye eat.
-Leviticus 11:3
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I try to avoid these areas as much as I can b/c I just don't feel safe without my weapon.
There has never been a time in Minnesota...anywhere....where I've felt unsafe. I'm not sure what has made you feel this way..but I feel sad that society has driven you to feel the need to carry a weapon at all times just to feel comfortable.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Traveler, are you male? As a female, there have been plenty of times I've felt unsafe in Minnesota. I don't choose to carry a weapon for a variety of reasons, but I can certainly understand why someone would, no matter where they live.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

There's nowhere I've ever felt completely safe unarmed, from rural Georgia to NYC. I'm 5'4'' - there's no way that I could physically defend myself from a man without a weapon. I don't want to live in fear and I refuse to be a victim, so I carry.

Please note the I am passionate about gun safety and have completed hours and hours of training.

mackillian
Member # 586

Somehow, in my head, I had Mrs.M pegged at about five ten. o_O
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thanks for the info, Mrs.M. I'm guessing there's not a lot of opportunity for an observant Jew to eat venison, then.

Dagonee

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

That's so funny, mac. I was actually supposed to be much taller, but I stopped growing when I was 10. Stupid early puberty.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.