FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Social Workers & Folks from Minnesota, Help, Please (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Social Workers & Folks from Minnesota, Help, Please
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There has never been a time in Minnesota...anywhere....where I've felt unsafe. I'm not sure what has made you feel this way..but I feel sad that society has driven you to feel the need to carry a weapon at all times just to feel comfortable.
I was thinking about this, and there are certainly places where I feel substantially more safe or less safe, but I think there is a lot of danger even in places where we feel safe, we just don't know about it. Occassionally you run into information (especially in certain jobs) where you realize what bad things are going on and what dangerous people you are around, and it is really disturbing. About once a year I have a client that I am actually afraid of and keep a gun with me for a while.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
You have never heard of North Minneapolis!!! Not to mention Nicollet ( which I'm sure I spelled wrong there). Most of Minnesota is nicer than 99% of the nation as far as crime is concerned, but there are a few persons deep in the city I wouldn't want to hang out in after dark.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
If you don't mind a slight derailment, is venison from a deer shot by a hunter Kosher? Or would it have to caught alive and slaughtered in the correct manner?

Dagonee, I'm pretty sure it would not be kosher in that circumstance. rivka? Ela?

Exactly. But don't worry, there are several online retailers of kosher venison. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you on the early puberty Mrs M.

I'm a whisper under 5' 3" and have been exactly this tall since I was 11.

I'm still waiting for my growth spurt - maybe mid-twenties? [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, cud. Aheh. I should have remembered that...

As for feeling safe in Minnesota, generally I have BEEN safe. I've never felt incredibly unsafe, like there've never been seedy looking people staring at me or talking to me. But my mom ingrained it into me from birth that I should make sure I keep an eye out all the time... So I always make sure I'm aware of my surroundings, regardless of where I am.

[ January 29, 2005, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
imogen, I am also waiting for my growth spurt. [Smile] My feet and chest are totally out of proportion (as in much, much too big) with my body, too. The chest I am going to have taken care of in a couple of years, but I don't think there's anything I can do about the feet.

It's not that I anticipate not being safe in Minnesota - I don't feel safe unarmed anywhere, no matter how low the crime statistics are.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard of Nicollet and N. Minneapolis and frequent both. What I mean to say is that though there may be times where I have felt 'uncomfortable'..I have never felt I was in mortal danger. I have never heard that voice in my head say, "I wish I had a gun right now." That is all. This could be due to my not really being an advocate for conceal and carry laws and that I'm not a fan of carrying weapons at all.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, me too. I've never actually used a weapon, aside from weapons in martial arts. I'm most comfortable with the idea of using my own body, so my nervousness when alone in slightly dangerous areas is related to whether or not I feel ready. Which is part of the reason I don't like wearing high heels in public. I know before I could do anything I'd have to kick them off, or I'd just end up twisting my ankles.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's sending good vibes to Mr. M on his interview today! [Big Grin]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, even in those times when I have been in mortal danger, I have never thought, "Gee, I wish I had a gun right now."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Thanks, ElJay!

I certainly have, Tom. Maybe because you're a man and have more confidence in your ability to defend yourself with your own body.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome, Mrs. M.

Tom, I have to admit that the first thing I thought when I read your statement was "Well, were you in mortal danger of falling off a cliff? Or maybe your car was spinning out and headed for a tree? 'Cause I sure wouldn't want a gun in those situations, either..." [Wink]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

ElJay [ROFL]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No, there were actually people involved. *laugh* But a gun would have done very little in those cases except make me more of a target.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.