FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Letter to the Hershey Foods Corporation (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A Letter to the Hershey Foods Corporation
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't read this whole thread. I'm Lazy. I say, switch to Cadbury. Yes, they're Canadian, I'm sad to say. But really, they honor the word Chocolate.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm partial to Chocolove, myself. [Smile]

Teshi,
quote:
Washington, seat of federal government, "makes wood so we can make stuff" and "aircrafts"
They meant Washington State, as in Seattle. Washington, D.C. is just a district, in no state. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolove is excellent. Have you had the dark chocolate one with freeze-dried orange peel? It is one of my favorite chocolate bars ever.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
DUH! [Wall Bash]

I knew that!

*is totally and utterly as dumb as people she was worried about and never ever will say anything again*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Trader Joe's has been carrying 80oz bars of Chocovic for something like $1.39 a bar.
You mean 80g, right? The Chocovic bars I get from Trader Joe's are 80g, which equals 2.28 oz.

They cost me a buck seventy nine though, so iven if your bars *aren't* huge, you're still getting a pretty good deal, relative to me anyway.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If you think kosher marshmallows don't melt properly, you are buying the wrong ones. You need to try Elyon's (halfway down the page).
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Cadbury's Buttermilk Chocolate

'nuff said [Big Grin]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Hahahahaha! They look like Marshie!

"Made from the best stuff!"

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm-*hmmm* Valhrona.

[Smile]

(My mother brought back Hershey's from her latest trip to the US. It is really waxy-nasty. Even Australian supermarket homebrand chocolate is way better. Of course, you'll all have to come here and visit to verify that. [Razz] )

[ January 28, 2005, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
"Chocolove is excellent. Have you had the dark chocolate one with freeze-dried orange peel? It is one of my favorite chocolate bars ever."

Geez, Eljay, I'm drooling again!

I haven't had good chocolate in a couple of weeks now and I thought I was okay -- I'd keep it to a special treat every now and again -- but reading Hatrack keeps stoking this inner chocolate demon that needs to be fed! [Evil]

[ January 28, 2005, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

I actually try to keep it to an occasional treat, too. But I still like talking about it.

And I went grocery shopping after posting that, and was gonna pick up some chocolove... but there was a free trade brand that I've never tried beforeand I remembered what Sara said about how bad the Chocolate industry is, so I bought the free trade stuff instead. I can't remember the brand, but it's extra dark with almonds.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Chocolove 90g Ginger Crystallized in Dark Chocolate

This is my contribution to your Friday morning [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You mean 80g, right?
Listen to what I mean, not what I say! [Mad] [Wink]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
BtL - Thanks for correcting me. [Smile] I thought that MSG was made from soy protein, but it turns out they normally use starch, corn sugar or molasses.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate... Mmm...

::drools::

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I just dug up this really old thread and was surprised to see that it mentioned Valrhona chocolate and I hadn't noticed that. I didn't discover Valrhona until I lived in Taiwan and tried some at the amazingly ritzy department store.

It is the best. chocolate. in the world.

Honestly - I can't believe the things they can do.

For anyone in the Salt Lake area, I've discovered they sell Valrhona at Tony Caputo's. Actually, they sell everything virtuous, lovely and of good report at Tony Caputo's.

Also, new on the chocolate front is Amano - a brand produced right here in Orem, Utah. It's disturbingly expensive and disturbingly delicious. They use single source cocoa beans and they produce different chocolate bars with the exact same ingredients except for the source of the beans and the taste is totally different.

Thought I'd bring that up for the chocolate lovers among us.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate is a doomed product, the places they are growing is facing steadily decreasing production and may stop entirely over the next 50 years.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19048_6-important-things-you-didnt-know-were-running-out-of.html

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Chocolate is a doomed product, the places they are growing is facing steadily decreasing production and may stop entirely over the next 50 years.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19048_6-important-things-you-didnt-know-were-running-out-of.html

I think I'm going to start willfully disbelieving on the same level as the people who deny climate change.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite global brand is now Green & Black's organic, especially their Mayan Spice.

My favourite local brand is Lindsay & Edmunds.

Blayne, that article is another reminder of why it's a good idea to buy Fair Trade chocolate. (Which both of the above are!).

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Mayan Spice is amazing!
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
You can always make it yourself.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
One of my friends gets a migraine the day after she has any MSG.

Does your friend get migraines from eating mushrooms, tomatoes, soy sauce, or Parmesan cheese? MSG is naturally occurring in many foods . . . it isn't just some crazy chemical additive like a lot of Americans seem to think it is.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't call soy sauce and Parmesan cheese foods, from the definition of "would be helpful if stranded on a desert island with a pallet of..."

No one used to talk about chocolate's antioxidants until the fair trade controversy arose. Corporate marketing slimeballs.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
Originally posted by Aros:
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
One of my friends gets a migraine the day after she has any MSG.

Does your friend get migraines from eating mushrooms, tomatoes, soy sauce, or Parmesan cheese? MSG is naturally occurring in many foods . . . it isn't just some crazy chemical additive like a lot of Americans seem to think it is.
Just want to point out that Mackillian's comment is seven years old. She's not likely to remember it.

Sorry for the thread necromancy.

Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought American chocolate was good until I went to Brazil for two years.

Now I can't eat American chocolate. I'll sometimes go down to the small Brazilian store here in Vegas and spend way too much money on imported chocolate, but not often. I don't like spending $30 on a box of chocolates that costs $4 in Brazil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Since this thread began as a discussion on Hershey, I feel compelled to point to the far superior central PA chocolate factory: Wilbur Chocolate (they really need to update their website... but don't judge them on that. Their milk chocolate is superb).
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.