Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DHMO

Author Topic: DHMO
Peter
Member # 4373

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt this will fool anyone here, but show this to your friends, it's funny to watch them get frustrated about how this is still being used.
http://www.comeandtakeit.com/stewards.html

quote:
BAN DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE! THE INVISIBLE KILLER!

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

Dihydrogen monoxide:

* is also known as hydric acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
* contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
* may cause severe burns.
* contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
* accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
* may cause electrical failures.
* has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
* threatens delicate desert ecosystems.

* is found in high concentrations in rain forests.

CONTAMINATION IS REACHING EPIDEMIC PROPORTIONS!

Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. In the midwest alone DHMO has caused millions of dollars of property damage and killed dozens of people. Every year hundreds of children are killed or injured in accidents involving DHMO!

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

* as an industrial solvent and coolant.
* in nuclear power plants.
* in the production of styrofoam.
* as a fire retardant.
* in many forms of cruel animal research.
* in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
* as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.
* in the production of ozone depleting chemicals.
* by the Pentagon in military activities, spreading contamination to indigenous peoples in developing

countries.

Greedy corporations dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on the enviroment is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!

THIS HORROR MUST BE STOPPED!

The American government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic health of this nation." In fact, the navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-billion dollar devices to control and utilize it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities for later use.

IT'S NOT TOO LATE!

Act NOW to prevent further contamination. Find out more about this dangerous chemical. What you don't know CAN hurt you and others throughout the world. Send email to no_dhmo@circus.com, or a SASE to:

Coalition to Ban DHMO
211 Pearl St.
Santa Cruz CA, 95060

Save the rainforests!
Protect our children!
Ban DHMO!

Posts: 283 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you imagine what this world would be like if we banned the use of dihydrogen monoxide? [ROFL] [ROFL] [Eek!] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.....dead?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I googled dihydrogen monoxide and found a web site that claims it should be banned. I'm not sure if they were serious or not. If they are, [Angst] [Angst] .
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
What's even funnier is a municipality's response to the DHMO "crisis:"

http://www.sitnews.us/MacDougall/121604_MacDougall.html

quote:
Dihydrogen monoxide, or DHMO, if inhaled, will cause death in a matter of minutes. This is just one of the shocking facts regarding this chemical substance, which is found in engine exhaust and many other places, that are well-documented at the website www.dhmo.org.

Californians, ever the vanguard of environmental protection, were not about to wait for the E.P.A. in Washington to take action. On March 14 of this year, the Orange County city of Aliso Viejo was all set to ban the use of certain plastics at public events. It wasn't the plastics themselves that were cited as the immediate danger to the public, it was the fact that large amounts of DHMO were used to produce them, and there was bound to be residual amounts left on the plastic.

Even though passage was virtually assured, before the City Council could vote on the measure someone pointed out that "dihydrogen monoxide" is an absurdly formal way to name water, which has the well-known chemical formula with two hydrogens and one oxygen - H2O! Sure enough, the municipal government staff had fallen for an internet hoax. Yes, people can die if they inhale water, it's called drowning. Water and carbon dioxide are the normal chemical products of the combustion of hydrocarbons. Everything that is stated on the website is literally true. But it is mischievously written so as to lead those who are so-inclined to press "send", alerting others that the sky is falling. To fall for this ruse, however, there must have been a dearth of scientific literacy on the city staff. When the L.A. Times brought the story national attention, the City Manager, David Norman, passed the buck and blamed the embarassing event on "a paralegal who did bad research."

--j_k
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
This comes up a lot, but I think it serves a valid point about half the country's irrational fear of everything chemical and tha ability to blind people with sciecne or supposed possible harms (the other half of course wouldn't care if food giants were using arsinec to keep meat fresh).

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Great, now I have "She blinded me with science" stuck in my head. Do do Doot Do do Doot DOOT!
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a song? o_O

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought Hydrogen Hydroxide sounded worse.

It's both an acid AND a base!....scarey....

btw, I understand the ocean is contaminated by a mixture of hydrocloric acid and sodium hydroxide. What are we to do?

[ February 07, 2005, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: The Pixiest ]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite thing about DHMO is the kid who did his science fair project on it.

I use one of the more detailed reports on DHMO as an extra-credit reading assignment for my chemistry class each year. We discuss the ramifications of people who simply believe what they are told (and mind, it's all true!) without doing additional research of their own.

And I teach them the song. [Evil]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.