FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where have all the hippies gone??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Where have all the hippies gone???
HippyGirl
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for HippyGirl   Email HippyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a full-fledged hippy!! But I wasn't around in the 60's and 70's...so don't ask if I have gotten high because the answer is no. I am a huge enviroment freak and am a vegetarian(no telling how long I will be able to stand it......because those McDonald's cheeseburgers are really calling). Does anyone know where all of my brethren have gone? I can't find any under rocks anywhere... [Cry]
Posts: 13 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Out on the road today I saw a dead-head sticker on a cadillac... [The Wave]
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Gone to graveyards, every one.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the best place on the web to find hippies is Happy Hippie . I think they all kind of grew old and went corporate, but there's a "new wave" of us into environmetalism and tie-dye.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember that those McDonald's cheeseburgers are dead flesh. Works for me everytime. [Wink] Oh, and most McDonald's will make you a grilled cheese, by the way.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember, it's hard to argue the merits of vegetarianism while wearing suede Birkenstoks or a leather jacket...
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
suddenly I have "First I was a Hippy, Then I was a Stock Broker, Now I am a Hippy Again" going through my head.

Darn those Bobs....

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know how many McDonald's they have to kill to make one of those things?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Lost Ashes, you bring up an interesting theory - and one that I hear all the time, said with a slight sneer. [Wink]

It is quite possible to argue the merits of vegetarianism while continuing to use animal products in clothing, shoes, etc. Many people are vegetarians for health reasons and no other reason beyond that. But if we're talking about a self-named hippy, than yep....I expect them to weave their own shoes out of natural fibers. [Big Grin]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I have just two words for you: Santa Cruz. That's where all the hippies have gone. [Smile]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my vegetarian friends get around that by only buying second hand leather...not sure if that counts.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread got me thinking of "Where have All the Flowers Gone"-- a hippy song, for sure. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Taos, New Mexico.

Gainesville, FL. has the largest population of Hare Krishnas in the continental U.S., too.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

That's funny, dpr. I'm not sure if it counts either, but it's a damned good try.

Personally, though I'm a vegetarian, I do wear leather shoes and have leather and suede purses. *waits for the "real" hippies to protest* But, I've also discovered that it's virtually impossible to not use animal products (though my use is blantent). After discovering that animal products are used in VCR tapes I kinda gave up. [Embarrassed]

space opera

Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Last I heard most of them grew up, started doing coke, and mutated into yuppies. The hippie ideal was always unworkable; you are never going to convince those in power to give it up via peace, love, and reefer. The people in power like crusades, cash, and alcohol. Besides, for every one true hippy there were three or four who were just in it for the sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Of course the men also had the always-popular "moral" excuse not to die in some godforsaken Asian hellhole while killing yellow people. So support the war in Iraq, and in a few more years the hippies might rise again.

[ February 07, 2005, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Danzig ]

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Arcosanti, Arizona, or maybe Sedona.

quote:
Where have all the hippies gone???
If you are familiar with hippy-speak, the word "gone" has special meaning, as in: "way gone, man!" Ideally, all hippies are "gone."
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister buys second-hand furs and leather. Her idea is to not increase the demand, but not let that specific animal's death be in vain by getting as much use out of it as possible.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is making me think that I don't use my full fledged veganism as a source for absolute moral authority nearly often enough.

I should get on that.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Out on the road today I saw a dead-head sticker on a cadillac...
A little voice inside my head said, don’t
Look back. you can never look back.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
♫The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind.
The answer is blowin' in the wind.♪

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

"Where Have All The Flowers Gone?" predates hippies by a lot.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool] <--got my sunglasses on
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

You got your hair combed back, too?
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I never was meant for glitter rock and roll.

[ February 07, 2005, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Dag, that's true, but it was widely sung by my dad's hippy friends...
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, yes. Pete was quite popular with the long-hair set. [Smile]
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
"Where have all the Flowers Gone" was written in 1961.

If the Hippies weren't around by then, surely the Beatniks were. "I'm Hip, man!" Seems to me probably a cross over period.

As a point of interest, Pete Seeger once played a song written by my mother on national television. He later recorded the song. Last fall we met him at the Sloop Club, and he began singing the song to my mother.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

1961? My search turned up the 50's.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
1961 Fall River Music Inc. All rights reserved.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Of course the men also had the always-popular "moral" excuse not to die in some godforsaken Asian hellhole while killing yellow people"

Are you implying that hippies did not fight in the Vietnam War? Because you would be very wrong about that.

I know a number of friends I consider to be "real" hippies, though they would not really agree about what, exactly, a hippie is.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

GA, if you read the history of the song, that's not the earliest version of it. There's an earlier version that was recorded in 195... 7? I think? ...according to what I read.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

I'm just looking at the sheet music in a "Sing Out" publication: "Rise up Singing." It says one of the verses was written by Joe Hickerson. Inspired by 3 lines from a Ukrainian folksong.

Probably has some history, it's a folk song afterall...

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Hey, beatniks were around it 57 too. Though much less likely to have long hair.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

1956 is the earliest I found. The confusing thing with copyright is that each individual performance can be copyrighted, as well as the original lyrics and music.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Here is a web definition.

"someone who rejects the established culture; advocates extreme liberalism in politics and lifestyle"

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Actually I don't think the tune is original. I've heard it somewhere else.

Sounds to me like Pete probably wrote part of it, but it wasn't complete until Hickerson added the last verse in 1961. (although the last verse is the first verse, so does he get writing credit for a reprise? If not, which verse did he write? Maybe he added the soldiers to graveyards, in order to make graveyards to flowers possible.)

Like I said, it's folk song.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Nah, that definition is way too general. The Hippies were a product of a specific generation, with culture handed down from the hobo culture of the Great Depression, and the beat generation of the fifties, along with a general sprinkling of american folk music.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Where have all the hippies gone? Well, most of them have grown out of it.

quote:
Just remember that those McDonald's cheeseburgers are dead flesh.
That alone makes me want to go get one right now. When Verily gets hungry, things die. [Evil]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad I wasn't the only one singing Peter Paul & Mary!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Not so much the real hippies as the people who took only the fun/convenient parts of the philosophy, and were dishonest with others (and sometimes themselves) about their reasons for doing so.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
In memory of my father:

"He's an old hippie
but he don't know what to do
should he hang onto the old
should he grab onto the new?
. . .
He ain't trying' to change nobody
He's just trying real hard to adjust."

I miss that man so much - he didn't raise me - we didn't even have a real relationship until I was an adult and had a baby - but once we got to know one another, he was always right there. Getting to know him was always like coming home - and when he died a few years ago, Nathan and I lost such a valuable, important person in our lives.

*wipes a tear*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
My shrink is a hippie.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
You might be liveing in the wrong place.
It depends on where you live. I dont find to many in the the town here, but in Bloomington you meet them all the time... although that may be because your parents introduse you... or you meet the parents of your friends.
hmm.
I hold many of the same beliefs as hippys did/do, however the term usually refers to the spicific culture, in the spicific generation.
Clasification as a hippy now means relitivly little. Our generation dosent really have a name... so I guess stick with it untill you can think of something that more accuretly describes you:)

Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

"Yuppie-tai-ai-oh, get a job, you old hippie,
Trade your dungaree jacket for a suit and a tie;
Yuppie-tai-ai-oh, get upwardly mobile,
For the almighty dollar's gonna be your new high."

[Big Grin]

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
According to Spider Robinson, many hippies migrated to Canada and are still groovin'. [Cool]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Eugene, Oregon.

All the hippies worth their birkenstocks come here. (During July for the Oregon Country Fair at least.)

Fake edit: Okay, I admit that there are hippies elsewhere too. But ours are hippier.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
New! Improved! Now 30% hippier!
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This thread is making me think that I don't use my full fledged veganism as a source for absolute moral authority nearly often enough.

I should get on that.

Oh, don't do that! I was in a touring cello choir once that had two vegans. One of them was a live-and-let-live kind of person, but the other one...constantly lectured EVERYONE on what they were eating. I'd be sitting down to eat something, and she'd say, "Oh. My. GOD. Do you KNOW what's IN that? How can you POSSIBLY eat that? That's DISGUSTING!"

She would then proceed to expound on how she put nothing into her body that was bad for it...right before she went out and had a smoke. [Razz]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Megan,
We have lots of militant natural food eaters in this area as well. I am all for being as healthy as possible, but I would never bust in on someone's conversation about coffee to tell them that white coffee filters have dioxin in them, like my first physical therapist did.

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Southern Rhode Island.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.