FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » More Death Cookies - aka, "The Mad Machine" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: More Death Cookies - aka, "The Mad Machine"
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
(Or, rather, more MST3k Jack Chick tracts.)

I've got a strong hankerin' to do another one, and I think enough time has elapsed to prevent me from quitting in the middle by giving in to my inner "but I already DID this!" whining child.

I just need to pick the right tract. In the past the best tracts have had very cartoonish artistry and slightly incoherent messages. A "King James is the only REAL Bible version" message, for example, wouldn't work based on it's clear agenda and boring subject matter. Plus, nobody gets poisoned by Satan or dies in a prison fire as an 'object lesson'.

I know some ideas were bandied about last time, but I don't remember what they were. Any suggestions? I'll start on the best one tomorrow. [Smile]

edit: Oh, linky to the Chicky.

[ February 14, 2005, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Titanic! [Big Grin]
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, forget about the Titanic.

This
is way better.

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If you go with Titanic, perhaps you can do something with the fact that they seem unclear --and inconsistent -- as to how "iceberg" is spelled. I guess an "iceburg" would be a city made of ice, neh?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Look at Jesus' nipple on the cross. Doesn't it look like an eye? In the "Kidnapped" comic?
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0099/0099_01.asp

I think you should do this one, in honor of Lent and all.(well, more in dishonor of Lent, and in honor of Mardi Gras)

[ February 09, 2005, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished re-reading Pullman's 'The Subtle Knife.'

Chick's theology is what makes Pullman's subversive ideas so. . . attractive, I guess, to so many people. In one way, Chick proves that Pullman is right about God's attitude toward humanity.

I've stopped being shocked or angry about Chick. I'm just saddened that someone could so devoutly misunderstand God.

As for Pullman-- man, he's an inspirational writer when he isn't interspersing his propaganda between the lines.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I loved that series, Scott! By the third book, though, the God business got to be a bit much.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Man. I think the Jesus on the cross in the Kidnapped tract takes the cake as the most horrific Jesus I've ever seen.

Angels is a tract about the evils of Christian rck music. There's several deaths and Satan appears throughout.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait...so...all music is bad? *blinks*
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1054/1054_01.asp

or maybe http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0045/0045_01.asp

The beginning of the second one alone would make great mst3k faire.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Wait...so...all music is bad? *blinks*"

No. Music with an insidious "jungle" rhythm is bad.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking about this line:

"Next, I started invading and distorting country, classical, soul, and Christian music..."

Is the argument that the insidious "jungle" rhythm has invaded all those genres?

Am I making too much of this? Sorry, a friend is taking her qualifying exams, and much in the same way that another's death makes you aware of your own mortality, I am heavily aware of my impending qualifying exams. Hence, the over-analysis of something like a Chick tract. Don't mind me, move along, move along. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Is the argument that the insidious 'jungle' rhythm has invaded all those genres?"

Yep. Remember, classical music has rhythm now, too. And a lot of the modern stuff is really weird, and we all know that weird things Jack Chick doesn't understand are of the devil.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
"...And Don is into vampirism"
[ROFL]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Mad Machine looks like a good choice.

This old lady scares me.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Mad Machine and Bewitched are both great, SM.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, two guys get married, one immediately gets aids, and then 3 months later, he's weak and skinny and dying? This doesn't make sense...

These are funny, though.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

AIDS given to you by the Devil himself is apparently especially fatal.

What I find odd is that, in Jack Chick's version of the disease, you get AIDS by pissing off Lucifer.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sorry, edited. I "pulled a Sara."

[ February 09, 2005, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, Kidnapped is looking good.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
"MY goodness, Susy, we almost became Muslims! "
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

I've settled on Mad Machine.

Thanks, SM. [Smile]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Suh-Weet!
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Gunslinger, jeez..."it's not about good or bad, it's about saved or lost". So, rejoice, everyone, doing bad things no longer matters. *grumbles* Eh, don't know why I let that idiot piss me off...
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

I have to laugh, or else I get the unquenchible urge to punch my hand through a wall.
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey...I've completed a parody tract of my own, for once! It's not an MST3K parody, but it is kinda funny...or creepy, depending on how you look at it. Unfortunately, I don't have a place to host it at the moment. Anybody up for it?
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
'In times like these, the only answer to our problems...is black strap molasses.'

[Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you got Photobucket?

Has this Chick guy ever heard of this part of the bible where they killed all these people except for the girls and divided them amongs themselves?

The Subtle Knife is an excellent book, but the message is sort of... more like what we do on Earth is more important than heaven....

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I can host it, Mabus, if it's all one image. Email it to eaquaelegit AT yahoo DOT ca
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

I'll have to paste the thing together, I suppose.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Nice, Mabus! All Chick parodies welcome. As David Brent would say, "All equal, so..."

Eaquae Legit made a very generous offer, but it is also possible that I could put your tract in with my parodies if you'd like and host a little mini-parody section in my foobonic profile. If Eaquae Legit would not be offended (hate to interlope and all that), paste that bad boy together and send it to antoniadodge@gmail.com.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Evertime I see this thread at the top, my heart goes all aflutter, thinking that maybe when I click the link this time, it'll have Ralphie's newest MST segment at the bottom.

The dissapointment is getting harder to deal with. [Frown]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Sorry, SM. I've worked out the format and I'm writing the captions even now. I should be done by this weekend.

It probably won't meet expectations. So, you know, have low ones. [Razz]

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Ah, it's probably easiest to keep them all in one place anyway.

[Hail] Ralphie

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

A subversive advertizement tract for Chick Tracts. It worked for the Communists...now buy some Chick tracts!!!
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh sure... and get deported to Norway for being a commie.

"...gets AIDS, and then 3 months later, he's weak and skinny and dying..."

[ February 11, 2005, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

Figured you'd take it, Ralphie.

It's based on Li'l Suzy , but the subject matter is more of a mixture of tracts about the End Times scare. I've been meaning to do something like that with one of the actual End Times tracts--I'm partial to parodying a Weird Al song ("The Night Jesus Went Crazy")--but I haven't been able to manage it yet. So I picked a fairly generic tract and went from there.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Geez, Ralphie, I feel like I am waiting for "A Feast for Crows" or something. I mean, it has been DAYS here!
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Easy woman! I'm working on it now!

edit: Mabus - sorry, man, it's antonia.dodge@gmail.com.

[ February 11, 2005, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the best Chick ever.

"Stop it! My husband is watching us!"
"(*&$%#! You know he doesn't care!"

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

A word of warning: not my finest work. I'm hoping it was that the pacing of tract didn't pan out like I thought it would and not that I'm losing my touch.

At any rate, it was still fun to do. And so I give you: The Mad Machine

Original Jack Chick version

MST3k version

edit: Oh, and yes - the "Futurama" line is a tribute, not shameless plagerism.

[ February 14, 2005, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"If I've learned anything from Chick tracts, it's that God hates a comb-over."

Ha ha!

Thanks, Text Ralpie.

[ February 14, 2005, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Oh, good! Someone liked it and/ or is being incredibly nice!

Whew. [Smile]

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanna be Ralphie when I grow up.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

There were many more funny things, but I could not copy-paste, and had to just plain old copy, so I chose the comb-over.

It took me a minute to see the little heads-I only saw that cartoon-guys-review-the-movie show a couple of times. The text Crow thing was hysterical. You will always be Text Ralphie to me now, dear.

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [Big Grin]

"Crow!Now I'm in Dutch with the Mafia!"

Reminds me of one of my favorite Simpson's lines: "Oh no! Maggie's in the middle of an Italian-American Mexican standoff!"

"isn't Koffenheimer German for "comb-over" "Yeah, it's in the bible."

"Frankenstein, human pez dispenser"

Good stuff, Ralphie. I think "Death Cookie" was your best, but DC was a gold-mine for satire.

--Text Morbo

[ February 14, 2005, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Text Crow. Sweet!
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ralphie, you might want to change the title of the thread so people know there is a new masterpiece in the house.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

"Other, lesser proselytizers may shy away from making an object lesson out of a completely fabricated situation they themselves evented, but Jack clearly has no such qualms."

"I wish Jack would stop giving everything even remotely phallic those little wiggle lines. Makes me uncomfortable."

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Ralphie has done it again! [Hail]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.