FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me rivka! (now with an Irish question)

Author Topic: Help me rivka! (now with an Irish question)
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
And anyone else that is able.

I have a piece of music here that's called Ose Shalom. I have the translation to the whole thing which is "May he who makes peace in the high places make peace for Israel and for all mankind and say Amen."

This is probably a lame translation, but that's beside the point.

On the top of this illegally photocopied piece of music, it says "Liturgy." What liturgy? Where in the liturgy? A certain holy day or something? Do you know and will you please tell me the significance of it in the next two hours? *begs*

[Big Grin]

[ February 09, 2005, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

http://www.stcharleschurch.org/events/2003/jewish-sabbath.php

Ok, with some more specific searches I came up with this site and this quote:

quote:
"Ose Shalom"
Shabbat begins with a greeting of peace ("Shalom Alechem"), and the Saturday morning synagogue service ends with a prayer for peace, "Ose Shalom":

May He who makes peace in His high places
Make peace over us and over all Israel,
And let us say Amen.

Is this accurate?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I can only speak for Orthodox Jews, but there's a prayer called "Shmoneh Esrei" that every Jew prays at least once a day - "Shmoneh Esrei" is the "main" part of the prayer (men pray three times a day, women pray between 1-3 times per day, depending) and although the middle (and bulk) of "Shmoneh Esrei" changes significantly depending on whether it's a weekday, Saturday, or Holiday, the opening and closing sections remain the same. The phrase that you're asking about it part of the very end of the closing section, so all Orthodox Jews say it at least once per day.

Edited to replace some pronouns (it) with the actual subject matter, to prevent any confusion. [Smile]

[ February 09, 2005, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: reader ]

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
After reading the title, did anybody else hear "help, help me rivka" in their head?
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes!!!

"Help me, rivka, yeah..."

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Oh you guys are awesome!! Thank you!

adam, I know nothing about Jewish liturgy. [Big Grin] Zip. Any other info would be helpful as well!

Thanks again!!

Narnia
Member # 1071

Ok, new one for you guys. It's Irish this time. [Smile] The old Irish blessing that goes "May the road rise to meet you" etc...that's usually recited/sung at weddings as kind of a toast, right? (I promise I'm looking and not finding stuff. I AM doing my own homework, I promise!)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, do you need history, or the rest?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

anything you know. I can't find a background, or an explanation of it at all.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

'Cause I don't know history, but I can recite the little "blessing" (various versions of it, in fact).
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It's "traditional", but I don't know how Irish it really is, and I wouldn't say it dates back farther than the mid-1800's. But that's just me.
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yeah, that's about all I'm finding is the actual blessing.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
In my head I heard "Help me Rivka-wan, you're my only hope!"

[ February 09, 2005, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've never seen an explaination of it. Let me check my little book of "Irish Prayers".
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
"May the road rise up to meet your face...
May the faeries take your teeth..."

Something like that, eh?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No explaination. Sorry.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[ROFL] That's horrible, Annie.

Maura O'Connell sings a very pretty song with a version of that blessing as the chorus.

Narnia
Member # 1071

that's ok kq, thanks for looking. I'll just bluff my way through this one. I'm sure it's a wedding thing...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've never heard it at a wedding, only to send travelers on their ways.
Narnia
Member # 1071

Really? DId you hear that from something of an official source? (note: "Your mother" counts as an official source in this case.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Um, my grandma's parents were from Ireland (she grew up in Liverpool), and she told me it used to be recited at "American wakes" when someone in the family or community left for America, among other traditional toasts.
Narnia
Member # 1071

See, you DO have official information. [Smile] Thank you, that is PERFECT!!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, glad I could help, if only with an anecdote.
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the idea of "American wakes."
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It's really sad, though, when you think about it.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I think I've been to places in America's wake.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
A thread with my name on it -- and I get home too late to help! Oops. Really should schedule my RL better. [Wink]

Good thing adam and reader were able to answer the question. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Narnia, may I ask what you're doing with all this? You've got me wondering. Hebrew prayers and Irish blessings don't usually end up right next to each other.
Narnia
Member # 1071

It's ok rivka. I know you would have answered if you hadn't had your real life appointment. [Smile]

I was writing program notes for a choir concert (as fast as I possibly could!) [Wink] Settings of both of those texts ended up on my middle school program.

Good question, I guess it did seem kind of weird.

[ February 10, 2005, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm. How did you use my anecdote?
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
All my book of Irish Verse says (and it's pretty good for this sort of stuff) is "traditional Irish blessing."

Good luck, sorry I couldn't help.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.