FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Love, as in Breakfast for [Now with smooth, cool, suave ElJay-nicity!] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: My Love, as in Breakfast for [Now with smooth, cool, suave ElJay-nicity!]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
...what is clotted cream?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
yummy
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Clotted Cream.

"Both Devon and Cornwall - counties in the South West of England - are famous for their thick cream, which is mainly produced on farms, and in small dairies.
The most famous of all is 'Clotted Cream' which achieves its thick clotted texture by heating cream of high-fat breed cows, such as the Jersey type, in pans, traditionally made of copper but latterly stainless steel, to about 190°f and allowing it to cool slowly. In the farmhouses, the pans were heated crudely over a fire or stove and the cream was rich in acid and aroma-producing bacteria. Dairy or factory methods were much better controlled, using steam heated pans. The cream is usually packed in shallow trays a few inches deep and forms a yellow crusty surface. The consistency is thick and heavy, almost like treacle, and is traditionally served by scooping the cream out into cups or small cartons."

It's sweeter than butter and not as hard or thick, but still thick enough to be spreadable. And it's awful for you and absolutely fabulous.

[ February 14, 2005, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, they're done, out of the oven. Puffy on the tops. So, um, what do I do? Do I let them cool? Eat them hot? Warm?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Let them cool enough that you don't burn your fingers, but that's it. Then spread something on them and eat them. I've got some cinnemon honey that I wish I would have tried...
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Eat them warm. Break one open (watch for steam) and marvel at the texture. Then do as you please.

What I please generally involves some butter, something sweet (be it jam or chocolate), and a lot of happy noises. [Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man. That sounds divine.

Stupid too much eggnog during December forcing me to be on a diet in February. [Mad]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Wow. These are really good. O_O
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

You know, Ralphie, I am finally settling into an agreement with my body that seems to be working. I've been focusing on nutrient-dense foods and scheduling in daily bits of extra yumminess (like a couple of chocolate truffles). It helps to remind myself that some good studies have shown that the maixmal pleasure comes from the first 2 to 3 bites, with generally diminishing returns on the following bites. I never used to be able to eat just a few bites (Ludicrous! Ludicrous, I tell you!), but something has changed.

Of course, this represents a tentative alliance at best. I am wary of any fix-all plan for myself, much less for everyone.

More things are fitting now. [Smile]

[Yay, Ralphie! Such a big bang for such a small investment, no? And for 6 popovers, all you have is one egg, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup flour, and a whiff of salt. You can be as decadent or not with the toppings, depending on how you feel. The basic recipe isn't wicked.]

[ February 14, 2005, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm... Sounds good, but I'm not sure how that plan would fit in with my exhorbitantly self-indulgent life style.

["Basic recipe" translates into "vehicle for yummy whipped pure evil." But I shall be keeping the recipe nontheless. [Smile] ]

[ February 14, 2005, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I am gnarled and whorled from all my many licentious years of living at the extremes.

This is about all I can handle now. *grin

ElJay
Member # 6358

Three popovers (I halfed the recipe) were really too much for just me. I would try to make a third recipe, but I'm not sure how to use 2/3 of an egg. Actually, since I really only want one popover, I should make a sixth recipe and scramble the remaining 2/3 egg with another whole one for some extra protien. Then I could just mix it up in my measuring cup...

I think it's wonderful that this thread has inspired so many people to make popovers. So far, from Sara, it's spread to:

Paul
imogen
me
mack

So the popover goodness has increased four-fold. Thanks, Sara!

Added: If you think a half-recipe makes 6 popovers, my popover tin must be considerably larger than your muffin tin. I made 3 popovers with a half recipe.

[ February 14, 2005, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Big Grin]

Note, too, that as this product depends on steam for leavening (as opposed to chemical interaction), the batter can be stored in the fridge for a day or two. Just use what you want and then cover tightly.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
And yet there's still no popover recipe at the Jatraquero Recipe Site. [Frown]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*laughing

Dag, I'll submit tonight.

ElJay, I believe Real Popover Tins are skinny and tall. My muffin tins are short and squat, like me.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

[Big Grin]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] I only have muffin top tins, which are very wide and shallow. So I don't think they would do real well for popovers.

But I'm glad to hear you can store the batter... that way I can make up a half-batch one day, and have a single popover in the morning three days running. Solves my problem perfectly. I'm totally buying clotted cream tonight.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Critical Question:

quote:
Poseable Nurse likes beer.
Nut brown ale, hefeweissen, stout, or other?

We are currently enamored of the local Fat Squirrels from New Glarus, but they've been selling out a lot recently. Ellie's Ale will not only do in a pinch, but it may even be more to our taste.

On the other hand, our local Brennan's does have a mix & match deal for 6-packs of the various microbrews, including New Glarus. Fat Squirrels, Spotted Cows, Belgian Reds ... depending on what's in stock, this could be quite a treat.

Of course, I would never transport alcohol across state lines. Just trying to get a feel for his preferences.

[ February 17, 2005, 07:31 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Of course, I would never transport alcohol across state lines."

Why not? People buy cases of wine all the time. People shop in New Hampshuh liqupr stores and haul it back to Massachusetts. Is this a law I am unaware of?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I think it may depend on the states involved (can't vouch for the site, but it looks like a good summary).

I was always told that transporting alcohol across state lines as an individual is quite dicey, although it is done all the time. My understanding comes from a time when I was involved in homebrewing, and we had researched the legal aspects quite thoroughly.

Now I'm just lazy and buy from New Glarus. [Smile]

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, How long since you were into homebrewing? Did you belong to a homebrew club?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Oh, goodness, let's see. That was my first marriage. I believe we brewed for a few years around 1993-1995 or so?

We didn't join a club, but there was a great local homebrew shop and lots of local support. We followed Papazian's (sp?) book. Biggest project was two dozen pints of mead, fermented for over two years, that was our wedding gift to a marrying set of friends. Went over well. [Smile] We had to figure out how to get it into Wisconsin from Illinois, though.

We always had a couple of batches going, and it was quite fun. The homebrew kit was my Valentine's gift to me then-new husband. He loved it. The associations are too much for me to enjoy it anymore now, but I sure appreciate the skill in others.

How about you?

[ February 17, 2005, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

punwit
Member # 6388

Our local club's annual competition is this weekend. I will be judging and I hope to experience a mead as fine as one I sampled 3 or 4 years ago. That mead was perfectly balanced to evoke apple pie ala mode. Good heavens was it yummy.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

I've been a homebrewer for over 10 yrs and have been involved in a club for close to that time frame. The last 2 or 3 years I haven't brewed much but have maintained some ties to the club. I served on the board for 3 straight years and got a bit burned out. I still stay in touch with close members and always offer my judging skills when requested.
ElJay
Member # 6358

[ROFL]

Nice title, CT. Unfortunately, I dislike beer intensely, and so don't pay too much attention. I know he usually drinks the darker stuff. Last time I was over he was drinking something very red. He used to homebrew, too, and I remember one time he made something with molasses and coffee in it. Darkest beer I've ever seen, and it positively reeked. (I helped bottle.) Can't remember if he actually thought it was good or not, now that I think about it...

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Punwit, the Moan and Dove had a Belian beer weekend a few weeks ago. I had a very good beer, and one of the grossest liquids I have ever put in my mouth. I cannot remember the name.

Here is their website: http://www.themoananddove.com/menu.html

It would be so fun to go with you if you ever came this way. I may not be able to jump yet, but I can drink, darn it!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
The heavier and darker a beer is, the better *Grin*
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghost of dkw
Member # 4046

- posted      Profile for ghost of dkw   Email ghost of dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
That molasses beer also had a foamy head. In a glass, casually sitting on an end table in the living room, it looked just like pepsi. Nasty stuff. [Grumble]

[ February 17, 2005, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: ghost of dkw ]

Posts: 40 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, Paul, you have no excuse not to come out to the Moan and Dove. you don't live in Kansas.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Ewwwwwwww, you drank some? Without knowing in advance? I took a tiny sip just to see... can't imagine trying a healthy swig.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, from an enforcment standpoint, it is not only acceptable to transport it over state lines, here in New Englad it is incouraged. The law allows stores that sell it relief from the blue laws here if they are too close tothe border of VT or NH, becaue their stores are allowed to be open on Sundays. There was so much traffic back and forth that the local stores were lsing too much money so the laws changed.

As log as it is for private consumption, not resale, it is fine. The laws are different if you are making it to sell, or bringing it to a bar for resale though....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Note: Call enforcement agency if CT tries to sell me beer this weekend....

Okay! Got it!

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Kwea, I think the legal status of transporting alcohol may vary from state to state.

For example, from the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board:
quote:
Q: Can I transport liquor across state lines if the transporting of this liquor is purely for consumption purposes? For example, if I purchase a case of wine in Virginia can I take it to my parents home in Pennsylvania for the purposes of consuming it either during a party or holiday? Would the same answer apply if the wine were to be consumed at a private club?

A: Initially, please be advised that it is the Pennsylvania State Police, Bureau of Liquor Control Enforcement ("Bureau"), and not the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board ("Board"), which enforces the liquor laws in Pennsylvania. This office is authorized to issue opinions to Board licensees that are binding on the Bureau. Since you are not a Board licensee, the following is offered for your guidance and information only. Generally, section 491(11) of the Liquor Code prohibits any person, other than the Board, a manufacturer, the holder of a sacramental wine license or importer's license, from bringing liquor, including wine, into Pennsylvania. [47 P.S. § 4-491(11)]. Similarly, section 491(2) prohibits any entity, other than those listed above, from possessing or transporting any liquor or alcohol within the Commonwealth that was not purchased from a Pennsylvania Wine & Spirits Shoppe or limited winery. [47 P.S. § 4-491(2)]. Unless you hold one of the licenses stated herein, you cannot bring liquor from another state into Pennsylvania. The purpose for which the wine is to be brought into Pennsylvania or the location in Pennsylvania where it would be consumed are immaterial. If you will be visiting relatives or attending a function in Pennsylvania you may be able to “special order” the wines that you wish to acquire. Please contact Joy Taljan, Bureau of Logistics, at (717) 783-8237 for further information on special orders.
[bolded italics added]

Of course, the rigorous enforcement of this would be problematic. Still, worth knowing.

[ February 17, 2005, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

My husband, after me mentioning popovers, got all excited. When I mentioned the purchase of a popover pan, he went to Target. No popover pan. I knew he would have to go to a cooking store, but he refused, and spent the same amount on Ebay.

So, the point is, I am getting a popover pan, and I am so thrilled.

ElJay
Member # 6358

*blink* I had forgotten about this title. Seeing it again startled me.

Not a bad thing. *laugh*

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hearing about clotted cream made me want scones. With jam and cream. Ooozing. Mmmmm...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I love scones. And crumpets.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Speaking of popovers, which are basically a version of Yorkshire pudding, how do you make Yorkshire pudding? I haven't had it since childhood.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Pour the batter into a flat baking pan and set it in the oven under your roast with the roast directly on the rack, not in a pan. The drippings from the roast fall down and flavor the pudding, which puffs up around them.

Edit: Since the roast takes longer to cook, you can put the empty pan under it to catch drippings, and then pour the batter right on top of them about 30 minutes before the roast is done.

[ March 08, 2005, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

On the subject of state liquor laws, this is one area where states have pretty broad Constitutional power, even to the extent of possibly superceding federal commerce laws, due to the amendment which repealed Prohibition.
ElJay
Member # 6358

I gotta say, Yorkshire pudding sounds absolutely disgusting to me.

But I bet I'd like it. [Smile]

dkw
Member # 3264

I bet you'd like it too. Next time we have prime rib we can stick one in.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I don't like bread pudding, or tiramisu, or anything else that involves soggy bread, as a general rule. But those are bread soggy with alcohol. Bread soggy with blood might be different. </carnivore>
ElJay
Member # 6358

Also: CT, if you don't change this title by the time I get home tonight, I will not be held responsibily for what I link to. My fingers are itching as it is. Really, it's hard enough to keep my better nature in control of the constant power struggle in my mind, you don't need to encourage me.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

So, Dana, is it the same batter exactly as popovers?
Could I make my roast in the Ron Popeil Barbecue and Rotisserie Oven, add the drippings to a pan, and bake in the regular oven?

dkw
Member # 3264

Same batter. And yes, that would work. You wouldn't get the fun random patterns of poofiness around puddles of drippings though, unless you saved some of the drippings to drizzle over it partway through the baking time.
dkw
Member # 3264

Note the new edit to the instructions above. 30 minutes, not 15. I don't know what I was thinking.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Sounds like a good recipe. You should post it for posterity. [Smile]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Note the change in title. I do know what I was thinking -- "ElJay" in the title sells like hotcakes.

*smug and satisfied [Wink]

[Edited to remove strumpetish implications.]

[ March 08, 2005, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Hmmmmm. If there was snow on the ground, I would drop some down your neck. [Razz]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.