FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Love, as in Breakfast for [Now with smooth, cool, suave ElJay-nicity!] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: My Love, as in Breakfast for [Now with smooth, cool, suave ElJay-nicity!]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, I carry many strumpetish implications. Carry them quite well, if I do say so myself.

[Wink]

Snow wouldn't melt on my neck. It would sublimate.

[Big Grin]

[ March 08, 2005, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmmmmm. If there was snow on the ground, I would drop some down your neck.
First, I hate that we have snow on the ground in Virginia and you don't in the frigid north.

Second, I didn't read this as "down the neck of your shirt the first time." My reaction was, "I don't ever want to piss off ElJay."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
As long as it sublimates in a smooth, cool way....

Added: It hit 60 Sunday. Everything melted. It's well back below freezing now, but no snow.

[ March 08, 2005, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Snow wouldn't melt on my neck. It would sublimate."

According to the previous thread title, ElJay is so hot the snow would melt before even leaving her hand.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Not if it had a crisp candy shell.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

What kind of snow falls where you live, rivka? Candy shell? Weirdo. [Razz]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm moving in.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Let's just call it "manna." [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

ElJay, Rivka lives in California. Need we say more? Those people think everything is made of candy, I swear.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

My popover pan came, my popover pan came! I am off to make popovers.

Steve says to preheat the pan, CT says not even to preheat the oven.

What to do, what to do?

Why, try all methods, and see which works best, of course!

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Oh, yeah. There are lots of different ways to make it work. You will have to test them all! [Wink]

I like the cold oven method because I can stumble downstairs, bleary-eyed, and put the batter directly in the oven. That's it. [Smile]

[ March 11, 2005, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't the batter drip through the oven rack?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I lack a popover-making device. I should get on that.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

You don't have an oven? [Eek!]
twinky
Member # 693

I have an oven. I don't have a muffin tray.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I don't think you can say the muffin tray makes the popovers, ya know? It just kinda holds the batter while the oven does the work.

But that's good. I was wondering what kind of an apartment you'd moved into, without an oven. [Big Grin]

twinky
Member # 693

I'm actually just about to take some pictures in order to solicit decorating advice...
ElJay
Member # 6358

We'll all wait with breathless anticipation, I'm sure. [Smile]
twinky
Member # 693

You need to stop saying that.
ElJay
Member # 6358

I'm sure I have no idea what you could be talking about.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Edited to protect the innocent]

I sometimes make the batter in advance and store it (covered) in the muffin tin in the fridge.

[ March 11, 2005, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

CT, that is so unfair.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I am not in my right mind, you know, and I should not be allowed out in public.
rivka
Member # 4859

*grin* I missed ElJay's reaction to my m&m comment.

It's absolutely true! ALL the snow that has fallen in Los Angeles in the 20+ years I have lived here has been candy-coated.

Over in Big Bear they get the ordinary stuff.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

CT, so you're not a lefty, then?
ElJay
Member # 6358

rivka: [Razz]

CT: e-mail's not public. [Wink]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh.
My.
Gosh.

Popovers made. They were amazing. The popover pan made them look so cute! I will make more and take a picture. My daughter loved them, and so did her friend. They are the pickiest eaters ever.

I had only one egg, and sent themn next door to borrow one. After they were done, I sent over a hot popover.

Now to try whole wheat ones!

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I need a muffin tin. Or a popover tin. No, a muffin tin. Those I have a hope of finding here. Must get muffin tin. Fahim honey? To the store! [ROFL]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

The problem is, popovers when hot just scream for butter. I mean, I heard those little puffy treats from the living room!

I had one with butter, and one without. It was good butterless, but oh, the one with butter!

I want to make more but have no more eggs. It is snowing and I don't feel like brushing off the car.

I am jonesin, pure and simple.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm beginning to drool. T'ain't fair!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I mean, really -- melty butter and sweet pure strawberry jam. AhhhHhhhHhhahhhaaahhh

At the Henna Party brunch, we were blessed with a surfeit of toppings: chocolate orange sauce, clotted cream, some insanely good berry jam (?), and the glorious mix & matches of them. Yum.

I hear tell that they make a mighty good savory treat, too. Some chives in the batter and a little sprinkle of fresh gruyere?

But, alas! My moonly cravingage has passed, and now I cannot stomach anything but cranberry tea. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. [Frown]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I have a recipe for ricotta popovers which I will send you, CT, for when the moon passes over your belly.

Like mashed potatoes, anything other than butter on the popover is just diluting the popover essence for me. I love the taste of jams and jellies, but whenever I have toast, it is butter only. (except when I am being good and avoiding butter completely-then a good sugar free jam is lovely)

Sometimes, I even like French toast with butter, folded in half.

CT, you will splurge again, fear not.

ElJay
Member # 6358

Plum jam, actually. And lemon curd. It's easier to be decandant when entertaining.... "Oh, I'm not buying all this for myself, I'm having guests!"
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have a clue what popovers were so I did some research. Are they basically Yorkshire Pudding?

I like Yorkshire Pudding but I'd usually eat it with a roast dinner, not alone!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle* Um, well, maybe if you stretch your imagination, they are like Yorkshire pudding without the roast drippings, but that would be doing a great taste a great disservice.

They are a very yummy, fluffy, simple pastry.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, exactly. That's what Yorkshire Pud (as it's called in my family) is.

Sometimes, if there's one or two left over, my parents dip them in jam. I guess then they become Popovers.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Thanks, Liz. [Smile]

(Got your CDs! [Kiss] )

How could I have forgotten the plum jam and lemon curd? Yumm.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, the men in the family, who missed last night's batched, are in popover love. I am baking whole wheat ones as we speak, and will report their success or failure in 20 minuts.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

More are coming, CT, but were not ready at the time.

Funniest thing is when Johhny Dows says: "I'd like to introduce my band...Kim?" (because it is just the two of them) Cracks me up every time.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I am listening to LC because I am doing work-related writing now, but Dave and I are going to break out some snacks and homebrew from a friend tonight, with background music a'la Elizabeth. [Smile] Thanks!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You are so welcome!

As for the whole whet popovers...

They were good, in a whole wheat kind of way. However, they were very dense and did not do too much poppin, as predicted. I used the following:
1 cup ww flour
1 cup milk
1 T melted butter
2 eggs
a little salt

What if i put in 3eggs?
Or less flour?
Chnged the temp?

What do you guys think?

By the way, I have some turkey. I have some gravy. I am thinking...creamed turkey in popover for lunch tomorrow.

[ March 12, 2005, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Also, Ct...

The white flour popovers I made today were cold-oven. I like it better, as the others got too brown too fast. It might be the dark gray, heavy popover pan, too, which might make them cook faster.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Dammit, but now I'm just getting upset because I don't have a muffin tin or anything! I'm going to have to get one tomorrow. Or else!!!!! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Oh wait, wrong thread. . .

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.