FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » heartbroken

Author Topic: heartbroken
Ele
Member # 708

- posted      Profile for Ele   Email Ele         Edit/Delete Post 
Folks, I'm a very old hatracker who has not been around in a long time. I just lost one of my cat children on Thursday afternoon. She was perfectly fine, and then when I came home from work, my mom had just found her having passed under my bed. We don't know what happened. I am devastated and torn apart because I wasn't there.

I have a BoM. Can someone tell me where it talks about animals in heaven? Thanks. [Cry]

Posts: 745 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I know Joseph Fielding Smith taught that the resurrection applies to all living things; I'm not finding much in the BoM, but a search of the scriptures at lds.org on "animals, resurrection" brought up this:

quote:
GS Spirit
That part of a living being which exists before mortal birth, which dwells in the physical body during mortality, and which exists after death as a separate being until the resurrection. All living things—mankind, animals, and plants—were spirits before any form of life existed upon the earth (Gen. 2: 4-5; Moses 3: 4-7). The spirit body looks like the physical body (1 Ne. 11: 11; Ether 3: 15-16; D&C 77: 2; D&C 129). Spirit is matter, but it is more fine or pure than mortal element or matter (D&C 131: 7).

quote:
Animals are resurrected from the dead, and there are animals in heaven, redeemed by the blood of Christ (Rev. 5: 11-14; D&C 77: 3, HC 5: 343).

(That last one is from the Bible Dictionary entry on the Revelation of John.)

I'm sorry about your kitty, and I hope this helped a little.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry that I can't help you with the BoM, but I would very much like to offer my sympathy for your loss. I know it's even worse when you don't know what happened, or have a chance to say goodbye.

Since you said "one of" your cat children, I hope the others are providing you with some comfort now as well.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Ele! I remember you.

So sorry to hear of your loss! [Frown]

That's very upsetting. [Frown]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My sympathies. [Group Hug]
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I'm so sorry.

This isn't in the Book of Mormon, but in Moses 3:5, it says:

quote:
And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew. For I, the Lord God, created all things, of which I have spoken, spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth.

I believe that animals have spirits Ele. I also believe that God knows how much we love them. He'll take good care of your kitty. *hugs*
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
So sorry. The love of a pet seems so pure and innocent I remember my passed pets always with great fondness. [Group Hug]
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
((Ele))

Sorry for your loss.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Ele, you have all my thoughts and care tonight. I'm so, so sorry.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I dislike lose someone too. I dislike "End of life" ceremony since i have lost my Grand-mother when i was 6.

Last mounth i lose one of my mother's cat : an old persan cat teethless (the poor..) She couldn't eat to get strengh, but we didn't know that. I remember the time when my mother brush her. She guessed and get on the table with purring before my mother came back with the brush.
I didn't speak (or write) about that before. Your post make i remember how i love this cat.

To answer to you, I think all living things have heaven. And maybe, our two cat met them in.

Death are just a part of the life : it is a transition and not just an end. This is my believe.

Mes plus sincères condoléances.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
I lost my 12-year-old cat last summer, and I totally empathize with your loss. I hope you'll remember the great times, and the pleasure you gave to your friend. The pleasure your pet gave to you goes without saying.

Spend lots of time thinking about what a fine friend you had. I am not LDS, so cannot offer any insight.

Best thoughts to you today.
Lisa

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I, behold, I establish My Covenant with you, and with your seed after you;
And with every living creature that is with you, of the fowl, of the cattle, and of every beast of the earth with you; from all that go out of the ark, to every beast of the earth.
-- Genesis 9:9-10

quote:
But ask now the beasts and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee:
Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee: and the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee.
Who knoweth not in all these that the hand of the Lord hath wrought this?
In Whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind.
-- Job 12:7-10

quote:
Concerning the condition of the sons of men, God tests them, that they may see that they themselves are like animals.
For what happens to the sons of men also happens to animals; one thing befalls them: as one dies, so dies the other. Surely, they all have one breath; man has no advantage over animals, for all is vanity.
-- Ecclesiastes 3:18-19

[ February 13, 2005, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Ele, I'm also LDS, and I firmly believe that our pets will be with us in the life after. I don't have scriptural references to back it up at the moment. I'll look a little later when I have some time.

I feel for you. I lost my kitty of 5 years a year ago tomorrow, and I still miss her. (((Ele)))

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
The Pearly Gates has a cat door. This I firmly believe.

((Ele))

I also know how it feels to lose a dear feline friend. When I was 18, our Annabelle passed away. She was 17. I'd known her my whole conscious life. I found her in our den, and I called my dad down to see. Then I ran up to my bed and cried for a long time.

Mosiah 27: 30
30 I rejected my Redeemer, and denied that which had been spoken of by our fathers; but now that they may foresee that he will come, and that he remembereth every creature of his creating, he will make himself manifest unto all.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Ele!! I remember you very well. It's good to see you, although on such a sad occasion. (I'm katharina, joined in March 2000.)

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. [Frown] *hug* I'm sorry.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry.
I don't know about heaven for pets, but I still feel my dogs around this house, and in our yard. I will catch a glimpse of them every now and then, because my memory of their presence is still so strong.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs*

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ele
Member # 708

Thank you so much, long "absent" and sweet friends. Thank you especially for the lovely *Bible* references that, despite the fact that I have read all those books, I had overlooked the amazing comfort there.

I think that animals have souls, too, but...you know...when you hurt and are so shocked as I was then (and still am really although I am adjusting a little bit), you need someone to tell you sometimes.

I have lost kitties before, but never so horribly unexpectedly: they were always sick, so, along with the grief and loss, there was "relief" of a kind because they were liberated from their ill bodies.

My kitties have taught me so very much that I sometimes think they are angels that I "entertain unawares" (except I guess since I've noticed, it might not be so "unaware" [Smile] ). When I went to church yesterday, the pastor reminded me about the "angel that watches over my body" and I suddenly thought, "Well that's who's taking care of my TT until I get there: my guardian Angel."

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your gentleness. I'd forgotten how thoughtful people around here could be.

~Ele

Posts: 745 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't scriptural, but I thought it might help:

quote:
Where do animals fit in the eternal plan of things?
Gerald E. Jones, “I Have a Question,” Tambuli, Mar. 1979, 19
Gerald E. Jones, director, Institute of Religion, Berkeley, California

“Nature helps us to see and understand God. To all His creations we owe an allegiance of service and a profound admiration.” Thus the General Superintendency of the Deseret Sunday School Union, President Joseph F. Smith, President of the Church, and Elders David O. McKay and Stephen L. Richards, members of the Council of the Twelve, editorialized in the April 1918 Juvenile Instructor. Recognizing that the “love of nature is akin to the love of God” they reminded the members of the Church that “men learn more easily in sympathetic relationships of all life than they do in the seclusion of human interest.” (p. 183.) Many families recognize the importance of pets and the resultant loving and sharing among their children. Caring for pets can also develop a sense of responsibility.

Devotion of animals to families can be inspiring as well as practical. A recent news item related the bravery of a dog in saving the life of a small girl by breaking the window of a burning automobile and pulling her to safety.

A number of questions have been asked concerning the place of animals in the gospel plan:

Do animals have spirits and are they resurrected? Yes. The Prophet Joseph Smith received information concerning the eternal status of animals. Answers to questions he posed are in the Doctrine and Covenants, section 77 [D&C 77]. He also spoke about the resurrection of animals in a sermon but did not expand on the subject. (History of the Church, 5:343.)

To what degree of glory do animals go? The scriptures speak only of animals being in the celestial kingdom. Whether they go to other kingdoms is a matter of conjecture. Elder Joseph Fielding Smith on one occasion said the distribution of animals into all three degrees of glory is “very probable.” (Improvement Era, Jan. 1958, p. 16-17.) To my knowledge, no other prophet has published an opinion on the subject.

Are animals judged and resurrected according to their obedience to laws? According to Elder Joseph Fielding Smith, animals do not have a conscience. They cannot sin and they cannot repent, for they have not knowledge of right and wrong. (Man: His Origin and Destiny, Deseret Book Co., 1954, pp. 204-205.)

Can animals be with their owners in the hereafter? There is no revealed word on this subject. Reason would tell us that a rancher or farmer may not want all of the cattle he has owned during his life. On the other hand, emotional ties may be honored and family pets may well be restored to their owners in the resurrection, Elder Orson F. Whitney wrote that Joseph Smith expected to have his favorite horse in eternity. (Improvement Era, August 1927, p. 855.)

Just what is the relationship between men and animals? Men are children of God. Animals are for the benefit of man. This does not mean, however, that man is not to have a concern for this part of his stewardship. The prophets in all ages have indicated that man will be accountable for his treatment of animals and that justice and mercy should be exercised concerning them. Alma encourages us to pray over our flocks. (Alma 34:20, 25.) There are numerous examples in Church history of animals being administered to by the anointing of oil and their resultant healing. In the best-known incident, Mary Fielding Smith’s oxen were spared to bring her pioneer family, including a future President of the Church, Joseph F. Smith, to Utah. (Preston Nibley, Presidents of the Church, Deseret Book Co., 1959, pp. 234-34.)

Though the prophets have spoken frequently about man’s responsibility to treat animals properly in this world, very little detail is known about the states of animals in the eternities. Greater emphasis is rightly placed upon man’s need to live the gospel and be worthy to return to his Heavenly Father where he will then learn the answers to such questions. Quoting again from the editorial cited at the beginning of this article: “Men cannot worship the Creator and look with careless indifference upon his creations. The love of all life helps man to the enjoyment of a better life. I exalt the spiritual nature of those in need of divine favor.” (Juvenile Instructor, April 1918, p. 182.)

Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ele
Member # 708

One of my vets was a very devout Christian so when I was losing my Ariel in 1991, I asked him, "Do you think kitties go to heaven?" He answered me very quickly, "Immediately. No choice." Huh? He said, "Animals are perfectly what God created them to be, no choice. People have a choice about whether to do what God wants or not."

But separation is hard, folks. It's taking me as long to adjust to this as it took to nurse my other kitties through their last illnesses. [Frown]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.