FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OSC in Boston this Weekend... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OSC in Boston this Weekend...
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, as mentioned here, OSC is the Guest of Honor at Boscon this weekend, and I am planning on going there this Sunday. kacard has said that OSC will be there all three days, and the
Boscon site has all sorts of info on how to get there and what the costs are going to be.

Does anyone want to meet up there this Sunday? Despite ELJay's protests to the contrary, I would like to meet up with any and alll, providing I don't have to get out of line to do so.

One way or another, I am going to get my first edition of Seventh Son autographed, if posible. [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea,
We have guests coming on Sunday. They are guests who usually cancel on Friday, so I am hoping for that. If they cancel, can I bum a ride with you?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, I'll be in PA all weekend... Curses! If you see him, tell him that Bokonon from Hatrack thanks him for hours of great reading, and for the autographed book plates (is that the term?) he did a few years back [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Even me?!?!?!
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I could do sunday, but I have to leave around 5:30ish I think
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Liz, sure...as long as we can leave right after I drop Jenni off....I could pick you up but I don;t know if it is along the way...or you could meet us at the mall and leave your car there...your choice. Just let me know.

I will probably make a whole day of it though...I won't be home early... [Big Grin]

Frisco, I will e-mail you my cell number if you would like to meet up...I still owe you a beer or something for the GRRM bonus chaper. [Big Grin]

As long as you meant what you said about the shower.

Kwea [Evil]

[ February 16, 2005, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Jay, where do you live? If it is close enough, and you are over 18 ( I seem to remember that you are) sure, as long as we don't discuss politics...I want to enjoy the day. [Big Grin]

Kwea

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
gah! I'm going to NY!

[Grumble]

quote:
If you see him, tell him that Bokonon from Hatrack thanks him for hours of great reading
and that I do too.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kwea, I can meet you wherever it is convenient. I am hoping for the visitor cancellation.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Dragon, why you going to NY?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Liz, the Holyoke mall would be best...at about * am....sound good? Jenni works right next to the mall, and I have to drop her off at 8 am. I figure we can go right from there, and be at the convention center early enough to actually meet OSC, maybe.

[Big Grin]

Kwea

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

That would be fine, Kwea. I hope they cancel!!
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Updates as events warrant: Either 2 or 0 goldner brothers will be there.

[ February 16, 2005, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Paul Goldner ]

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmpphhh.

No tours in the Pac NW.

*sobs*

*pulls herself together*

Have fun storming the castle . . . [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Paul, I will email you my cell # as well...is your profile up to date?
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote: If you see him, tell him that Bokonon from Hatrack thanks him for hours of great reading

and that I do too.

Me too! Me too!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Myr, can you come to Boston?

[ February 17, 2005, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

I mentioned in the other thread, I can't. [Frown] [Frown] I'm going to be in Harford Connecticut. Oh Bad Timing!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Bad Myr...no cookies for you!
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kwea, I'm in WV and will hit the Pittsburgh one. Fun! It's only a little over an hour from me.
You know I might be more fun to discuss politics with in person!
I can’t wait for this book!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, what can I say? Send him a "hello", from one of his Brazilian fans (named: me), please. [Wave]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Will do, Ed!

Jay, I don't usually talk etiher politics or religion in person, it is too touch and go with both of them.

Some of my friends have completely different beliefs than I do about both, but they are still my friends, yuo know? Because we have a lot more than that in common. [Big Grin]

Have fun at the one in PA then!

Kwea
Member # 2199

This is from JenniK....... I have to work so I can't go...Kwea better be saying hi for me and getting me an autograph as well......that's his pennance for going without me.

Actually I'm glad he'll get the chance to go and meet OSC. It's something he has wanted to do for a while, so I won't begrudge him the Boston trip....as long as he brings me home something from the CHeesecake Factory! Strawberry Cheesecake...hint hint! [Big Grin]

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Yeah, my profile is up to date.
Paul@goldner.info

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dragon, why you going to NY?
[Big Grin] I'm going to see Wicked with one of my friends from the circus [Big Grin]
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Great...Jenni was too lazy to login herself, and so it looks like I am talking to myself again.

I do that all the time, IRL, so I guess I shouldn't care.

Jenni, I would get you an autograph, but every time I say your should read some OSC you wrinkle up your nose and go read some old Romance novel.... [Wink]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Anyone else going?
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet it's going to cost money.
Plus I have to work on Sunday [Frown]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't keep us in suspense, Liz! Did your guests call and cancel?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Now that she sorta wants them to, they will be early.

And see this thread on her computer.

And still not leave, but stay and tell her how mad this thread made them..

Until 8:02 am. right after I leave for Boston.

[Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

:::bump:::

Suneun, Mike? Anyone else interested?

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

They have not cancelled. Rats. I have to call them back right now.
Kwea
Member # 2199

LOL....that sucks.

Well, you could always "accidentally" show them this thread, that would take care of it in the immediate future.... [Evil]

[ February 18, 2005, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Any snowstorms on the way for Sunday, Kwea? That would do it! I know there is one on Monday.
Kwea
Member # 2199

So...I take it you aren't going? [Frown]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

No, Kwea, they just called last night for directions. I am so bummed. (I really want to see them, I just would have planned for another day if I had known this sooner.)
Kwea
Member # 2199

Too bad, Liz, but I hope you have fun.

Paul, I tried to open the email you sent me, but it froze up...not my computer, your email. Then it was gone...first it said loading email (it has never done that for any other email before, or since)...and 1 hour later it had not loaded.

Call me on that cell # tommorrow, and we will go from there, if you wnat.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Update???
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It was a lot of fun, but it was just frisco and me, with a friend of his from GRRM's site. GRRM himself was there, and he was really cool too/

I almost had OSC talk to you on the phone, Bob..I still have your cell # programmed into Jenni's cell phone....although I am not sure you still have the same #, since the move.

There were a lot of people behind me in line still, though, and I have never met him before, so I didn't ask him. [Frown]

Besides, I probably would have called Jenni, but I saw you # in there and almost went through with it.

kacard was there too, of course, adn she came onver once I introduced myself adn spent about 5-10 min talking to me, about Hatrack and other things, after OSC signed my books.

I brought a first edition paperback edition of Seventh Son, a copy of Enders Shadow, and a first edition paperback of Hart's Hope, and he personalized each of them for me...very cool. We also talked Hatrack stuff for a short bit, while he was signing them.

It was a very expensive day, but well worth it.

I would ahve liked to go drink with GRRM, but he was hung over from partying with Frisco the night before.

I also got to meet Juliet McKenna, another author I really like, and she was on a panel of writers that were discussing the difficulties of writing stories whith Gods in them.

Kwea

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Sorry about the email... I tried to send you one saying I wouldn't be there [Frown] My brother and I decided we couldn't in good conscience spend extra money on OSC.
elviiis
Member # 7382

- posted      Profile for elviiis   Email elviiis         Edit/Delete Post 
I was only able to go on Saturday. I had a blast.
Thanks for the thought of inviting me to hang out, Kwea. Sorry, I didn't realize my email was blocked. DUH!

I had enough trouble convincing my wife to let me go to one day of the con. So I decided not to push it.

The coolest person I met was kacard. She has a warmth of personality that I'd read about before. While we were talking, I felt like I was the most important person she'd talked to that day. Which I know is false, but I appreciate when people can do that. And while I spoke with her and felt her friendship, I couldn't help but think, she enjoyed the movie T3. way cool.

I also met OSC, GRRM, Juliet McKenna, Jane Yolen, and other lesser known writers.

I rode back on the T with Alex Irvine whom I met earlier in the day on a panel about Historical fiction. He is entertaining to talk to.

Of course, the Atlanta Nights reading was the highlight of the day.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Why was Frisco there? I thought he lived out west somewhere?

Kwea, I am totally jealous, not happy for you, or any of that high-minded stuff, just green-eyed jealous.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea,

Thanks for thinking of me. I'm not sure OSC would want to speak with me on the phone, but that was certainly a lovely thought.

I know when I met him I was so nervous that I knocked over a stack of his books. I probably would've dropped the phone and had to have dkw retrieve the situation at this end.

Glad you got to meet him and Kristine. Nice people, neh?

Very cool!!!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I blushed madly and had trouble making eye contact when I met OSC.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] elviiis, I think it's just awesome that you got to talk to OSC and kacard. Although given your self-proclaimed lurker status, it would've been really funny if you'd been able to meet up with Kwea & Frisco.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

So, is Frisco in this area, or what? I am so confused.
ElJay
Member # 6358

He was until today, I think. He drove out for the Con, and is planning on stopping in Atlanta for WenchCon.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yep, I introduced myself to kacard right as I was leaving the table, and then as I was leaving I told her that Rat was one of the first people I had met here at Hatrack, and that he seemed really cool (even when I didn't know who he was... [Big Grin] ).

She left the table, and came over to the stairs where I was, and we talked about Hatrack and then about my wife for a min or two. She was very nice, as nice as OSC had been really.

There are only a few people I would go out of my way to meet...famous people, I mean; I am not a star-struck kinda guy......but I am very glad that I went yesterday.

Bob, I was going to do a "Here, say hi to Bob things and hand him the phone... [Big Grin]

But that would have been very rude to him and put him on the spot, and I don't do that to people unless they have done the same to me.

Still, it would have been worth quite a bit to see your reaction to it, I bet, had it happened. [Big Grin]

Not only does OSC have a policy of signing everyones book whenever possible, but I was talking to the book vendors there earlier in the day, and he had come through in his spare time and signed all their hardcovers as well. He was the only author who does that on a regular basis, and he only has one condition when he does so, according to those same vendors....that they are not allowed to raise their prices because of his signature, at least not until after the show when he does it. I thought that was very cool, and every vendor in the place had signed OSC books because of it....and a lot of those were older books for resale.

It was worth the 4 hours in the car, and the $90+ it cost me..although next time I will take the T in, and save myself $30 in parking! [Big Grin]

Kwea

[ February 21, 2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kwea, it was just so easy and cheap to go in on the Red Line from Alewife, I think I will take the kids in to the city more often. (What station would you go to if you took the Pike. We went Rte 2.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Wow, Jane Yolen was there too!

I'm very jealous. Though I was very pleasantly surprised by the play we had gone to see in CT Sunday so I'm also able to be happy for all those who did get to go [Razz]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.